The Price of Glory (Nathan Peake, #3)

The Price of Glory (Nathan Peake #3)

4.07 of 5 stars 4.07  ·  rating details  ·  30 ratings  ·  5 reviews
The third novel in this epic, thrilling series of war and villainy on the high seas, featuring Captain Nathan Peake.

Nathan Peake charts a perilous course through the treacherous seas off Brittany and into the even more dangerous waters of post-Revolutionary Paris. There he encounters two of the most beautiful and scandalous courtesans in history - and their little toy sold...more
Published 2010 by Headline

To ask other readers questions about The Price of Glory, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Price of Glory

Larry
Among the successors to C. S. Forester (still the gold standard), Seth Hunter ranks high: Right behind Dewey Lambdin's early books and just ahead of Jay Worrall and S. Thomas Russell. Hunter is in good company. "The Price of Glory" is the third in five (so far) novels about Nathan Peake, a young and lucky captain in the king's navy during the wars of the French Revolution and Napoleon. Peake is in command of HMS Unicorn, which is part of a small force meant to land several thousand French emigré...more
Booklovers Melbourne
It may come as no surprise that I've read a fair bit of historical fiction in my time, but I have to say this book has taken the prize, after many years for the most entertaining! Swashbuckling derring-do adventure, excellent salting of historical figures, a wholly believable and likeable protagonist, all set in amongst a swirling backdrop of post-revolutionary France, Georgian London, and, of course, the high seas. The best piece of fiction I've read in a long time.
Steve Williams
Jeff Frane
It's not easy coming up with original stories and characters from the British Navy in the late 18th Century, a period well-covered by writers of historical fiction. Hunter is a terrific storyteller with a great understanding of the period and the ability to create very real and likeable characters. My local library seems to be dropping the series after this volume, but I've got the fourth ordered.
Nigel
thoroughly enjoyable, superbly informative and incredibly entertaining. This was probably worth a four and a half but you get the impression that sometimes the story becomes secondary to the History lesson that Hunter so clearly wants to give you. Elequently written I'm probably being a bit picky, I wish, once again I'd started with number one in the series.
Peter
Peter marked it as to-read
Aug 19, 2014
Graeme Rennie
Graeme Rennie marked it as to-read
May 16, 2014
Terry
Terry added it
Feb 02, 2014
Iris
Iris marked it as to-read
Nov 01, 2013
Mara
Mara marked it as to-read
Nov 01, 2013
Erica Cosminsky
Erica Cosminsky marked it as to-read
Sep 07, 2013
Kibo
Kibo added it
Aug 29, 2013
Mark
Mark marked it as to-read
Aug 08, 2013
Sean Smart
Sean Smart marked it as to-read
Jul 09, 2013
Magda Kossakowska
Magda Kossakowska marked it as to-read
May 24, 2013
Julie
Julie added it
May 20, 2013
Andrew
Andrew marked it as to-read
Mar 29, 2013
Jewls
Jewls marked it as to-read
Mar 08, 2013
Tim
Tim marked it as to-read
Feb 09, 2013
Karen
Karen marked it as to-read
Nov 24, 2012
« previous 1 3 next »
1742099
A pseudonym used by Paul Bryers

Seth Hunter is the pseudonym of the author of a number of highly acclaimed and prize-winning adult and children's novels. He has written and directed many historical dramas for television, radio and the theatre and adapted and directed films by playwrights such as Arthur Miller and Michael Bulgakov. He is a member of The Writers Guild of Great Britain, the Director's...more
More about Seth Hunter...
The Time of Terror (Nathan Peake, #1) The Tide of War (Nathan Peake, #2) The Winds of Folly (Nathan Peake, #4) The Flag Of Freedom ( Nathan Peake, #5) The Spoils of Conquest (Nathan Peake, #6)