Managing Up: How to Forge an Effective Relationship With Those Above You

Managing Up: How to Forge an Effective Relationship With Those Above You

3.35 of 5 stars 3.35  ·  rating details  ·  83 ratings  ·  15 reviews
Everyone has a boss. And anyone who has aspired to move up the corporate ladder knows that their relationship with those they report to is crucial. In Managing Up Rosanne Badowski offers a straightforward, entertaining, no-holds-barred account of what it takes to make your relationship with your boss work to your advantage, no matter where you stand in the corporate hierar...more
Published October 19th 2004 by Crown Business (first published January 1st 2003)

Heathercheryl Stevenson
This book was a tremendous help to me even a few years after I became an personal assistant to an executive. I enjoyed her engaging style and found the book to be an excellent crash course in managing the relationship. It was like having a girlfriend in the "same boat!" Personal assistant to Jack Welch for many years, she gave good insight into the personality of a dynamic executive and how to work with one. "Everyone is a manager no matter where you stand in the corporate heirarchy."
Monica
A clear concise advice book on how to get things done when you work for a guy that "gets things done" on a global level. Badowski offer candid stories of how she learned on the job, made mistakes, read her bosses mind, and accomplished daily tasks in a way that fit his routine and made his achievements her own. She does not back down from digging in the trash to know what items he decided against and she would go out of her way to make sure the people who worked under her boss were prepared for...more
Belal Khan
Excellent book that clearly outlines the idea of leading and managing those above you in a company. This is a must read for all young professionals.

Regardless of where you are on the corporate ladder, leading and managing folks is about building relationships, which as this book outlines by having; chemistry, trust, confidence, impatience (yes, im-patience), energy, resilience, a sense of humor, common sense, preparedness, adaptability and behavioral flexibility, fairness, clear communication,...more
Marcus Sizemore
This book is wonderful for those of us who are just starting out in the business world or often wonder if our "bosses" are making the right decisions. Things I took away from this book: trust and openness is more important than anything. Teamwork is vital for the success of a company. It also delves into Six Sigma which I really would like to know more about in the future.

I loved the anecdotes and short stories included and the advice given to help others succeed.
Andrew
Written by Jack Welch's executive assistant, this book has a great deal of interesting GE/Jack Welch anecdotes; but the business message wasn't anything new or truly entertaining. Additionally, many of the "managing up" tips were more tailored to administrative assistants than mid-level managers themselves. Overall I was not impressed with the book, but was impressed with the author and her ability to work for Welch so smoothly.
Katie
Even though the author touts that anyone can benefit from reading this book, it's hard to ignore the administrative slant. Many pages were dedicated to how well she helped Jack Welch with administrative tasks, emphasis on tasks. In the end, I just didn't get out of it what I was seeking -- how to manage up when already in a director/middle management role.
Jamie Duncan
Rosanne was an amazing assistant. She gave her all to her job, and through this book has simplified the concepts that made her successful. She gives valuable insights on how to be the best team player, and how to help those around you succeed as a result of your efforts. Jack Welch was VERY fortunate to have her.
Chris
Rosanne Badowski describes her working relationship with Jack Welck. For 15 years she served as his chief admin. The stories are entertaining and--in most cases--point toward the kinds of dynamics/tensions that make for a healthy exec/admin partnership. I identified many passages I want to share with our staff.
Gayle
I was generally disappointed by this book. It's more a memoir book from Jack Welsh's executive assistant, and less a 'helpful tips' book. If you loved Jack Welsh than you might enjoy hearing what it was like to work for him. Otherwise, I'd pass.
Jessica
Aug 17, 2009 Jessica rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: legal administrative assistants, executive assistants
Recommended to Jessica by: Colette, my supervisor
This book was recommended to me by my supervisor. The author, Rosanne, has some great tips on becoming an invaluable assistant. This is an excellent resource/survival guide for any assistant.
Graham
Saw the author of the book in an interesting DVD on leadership. She writes entertainingly, and I enjoyed the insider description of life "at the top" of one of the world's largest corporations.
She was a good writer, and has interesting experiences to talk about. But it was written as advice that isn't entirely useful to someone in my role.
Lori Grant
A should-read book on middle management for knowledge workers, managers, executives, and entrepreneurs.
Shauna
It was okay, not great. It did have some good ideas, but it wasn't what I hoped for in this book.
Francesca
The tips in this book helped me cope with a dysfunctional boss.
Zulma
Zulma is currently reading it
Jul 17, 2014
Abdiazis
Abdiazis marked it as to-read
Jul 12, 2014
Yolanda
Yolanda marked it as to-read
Jul 04, 2014
Jessica
Jessica marked it as to-read
May 21, 2014
Jennie
Jennie marked it as to-read
Apr 24, 2014
Sunanda
Sunanda marked it as to-read
Apr 24, 2014