Start by marking “Managing Up: How to Forge an Effective Relationship With Those Above You” as Want to Read:
Managing Up: How to Forge an Effective Relationship With Those Above You

Managing Up: How to Forge an Effective Relationship With Those Above You

Everyone has a boss. And anyone who has aspired to move up the corporate ladder knows that their relationship with those they report to is crucial. In Managing Up Rosanne Badowski offers a straightforward, entertaining, no-holds-barred account of what it takes to make your relationship with your boss work to your advantage, no matter where you stand in the corporate hierar ...more
Published October 19th 2004 by Crown Business (first published January 1st 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Managing Up, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Managing Up

Melissa
Jun 29, 2016 Melissa rated it it was ok
Shelves: memoir, business
Much more of a memoir about the GE CEO than a business book.
Heathercheryl Stevenson
Jun 07, 2009 Heathercheryl Stevenson rated it it was amazing
This book was a tremendous help to me even a few years after I became an personal assistant to an executive. I enjoyed her engaging style and found the book to be an excellent crash course in managing the relationship. It was like having a girlfriend in the "same boat!" Personal assistant to Jack Welch for many years, she gave good insight into the personality of a dynamic executive and how to work with one. "Everyone is a manager no matter where you stand in the corporate heirarchy."
Olivia Catalano
Nov 14, 2015 Olivia Catalano rated it it was amazing
This book is not only funny but also offers some great insight to how to work with people who are different from you. It provides great insight on how to work effectively as a team, keep calm and give appreciation while being appreciated. Great read!
Madison Warner Fairbanks
Nov 09, 2014 Madison Warner Fairbanks rated it really liked it
Shelves: business, hard-copy
Managing Up by Rosanne Badowski

Mostly a common sense book on management. And as non-fiction, since it didn't put me to sleep - a good tool for new managers, secretaries, staff, and students.
Rosanne divided the book into chapters like Prepardness, Humor, and Common sense. Each chapter tells a short story or event to support the theme and each chapter ends with relevant bullet points.
I'm very impressed by this Executive Assistant. My guess is that she cold run her own Fortune 100 company with ease
Geoff
Sep 16, 2015 Geoff rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My final foray, at least for the time being, into professional development was Badowski’s Managing Up: How to Forge an Effective Relationship with Those Above You, and if I’m completely honest it’s the only one I should have read.

I enjoyed the “theory” and the “professional opinions” in the Harvard Business Review compilations I read, Managing Up (The 20-Minute Manager Series) and HBR Guide to Managing Up and Across , but neither of them had the wit, the humor or the charm of this book. Serio
Ainsley
Mar 02, 2016 Ainsley rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2016
Recommended to me by a leader I respect as I am about to start a new, bigger job, Managing Up is a fairly quick read that has some good points. Rosanne strongly believes in hierarchy, which reads as both old school as well as practical and realistic--both ensuring a good relationship with your manager and checking your ego at the door. She emphasizes the importance of making your boss' agenda your agenda, making his/her life as easy as possible, and making him/her look as good as you can.

Ro mak
Monica
Feb 01, 2013 Monica rated it it was amazing
A clear concise advice book on how to get things done when you work for a guy that "gets things done" on a global level. Badowski offer candid stories of how she learned on the job, made mistakes, read her bosses mind, and accomplished daily tasks in a way that fit his routine and made his achievements her own. She does not back down from digging in the trash to know what items he decided against and she would go out of her way to make sure the people who worked under her boss were prepared for ...more
Belal Khan
May 02, 2013 Belal Khan rated it it was amazing
Excellent book that clearly outlines the idea of leading and managing those above you in a company. This is a must read for all young professionals.

Regardless of where you are on the corporate ladder, leading and managing folks is about building relationships, which as this book outlines by having; chemistry, trust, confidence, impatience (yes, im-patience), energy, resilience, a sense of humor, common sense, preparedness, adaptability and behavioral flexibility, fairness, clear communication,
Mandy
Feb 08, 2015 Mandy rated it liked it
This book told the lessons in stories, which didn't work for me. I wanted strategies and pointers for managing up. I would end up skimming most of the irrelevant stories I couldn't glean anything from and then skip to the one-liner lessons. Granted this is something that's hard to teach but I guess I was hoping for more from this. I agree with other reviewers in that its usefulness might depend on what job role you have.
Eric
Dec 27, 2014 Eric rated it really liked it
Brisk overview on the author's tenure as Jack Welch's personal assistant. A fun read, at times inspiring and good anecdotal approach to learning (and fostering learning). While Welch sounds like a challenging man to work with from the book, he also sounds like an easy many to admire in the work...

If you are a fan of the Manager Tools podcast, this will be familiar, but useful in the retelling, territory.
Andrew
Aug 17, 2012 Andrew rated it it was ok
Written by Jack Welch's executive assistant, this book has a great deal of interesting GE/Jack Welch anecdotes; but the business message wasn't anything new or truly entertaining. Additionally, many of the "managing up" tips were more tailored to administrative assistants than mid-level managers themselves. Overall I was not impressed with the book, but was impressed with the author and her ability to work for Welch so smoothly.
Marcus Sizemore
Dec 04, 2012 Marcus Sizemore rated it really liked it
This book is wonderful for those of us who are just starting out in the business world or often wonder if our "bosses" are making the right decisions. Things I took away from this book: trust and openness is more important than anything. Teamwork is vital for the success of a company. It also delves into Six Sigma which I really would like to know more about in the future.

I loved the anecdotes and short stories included and the advice given to help others succeed.
Katie
Sep 26, 2009 Katie rated it liked it
Shelves: self-improvement
Even though the author touts that anyone can benefit from reading this book, it's hard to ignore the administrative slant. Many pages were dedicated to how well she helped Jack Welch with administrative tasks, emphasis on tasks. In the end, I just didn't get out of it what I was seeking -- how to manage up when already in a director/middle management role.
Jamie Duncan
Apr 04, 2011 Jamie Duncan rated it really liked it
Rosanne was an amazing assistant. She gave her all to her job, and through this book has simplified the concepts that made her successful. She gives valuable insights on how to be the best team player, and how to help those around you succeed as a result of your efforts. Jack Welch was VERY fortunate to have her.
Chris
Apr 13, 2012 Chris rated it liked it
Shelves: biographies, 2012
Rosanne Badowski describes her working relationship with Jack Welck. For 15 years she served as his chief admin. The stories are entertaining and--in most cases--point toward the kinds of dynamics/tensions that make for a healthy exec/admin partnership. I identified many passages I want to share with our staff.
Margaret  (xoxoLibro)
Managing Up was interesting for the first half of the book. Rosanne lost me in the second half though. I felt like she was just tacking on stories about Jack Welch that she wanted to include, but didn't really have anything to do with managing up. It was a struggle to finish.
Gayle
Apr 14, 2010 Gayle rated it it was ok
I was generally disappointed by this book. It's more a memoir book from Jack Welsh's executive assistant, and less a 'helpful tips' book. If you loved Jack Welsh than you might enjoy hearing what it was like to work for him. Otherwise, I'd pass.
Rk
Jun 02, 2016 Rk rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fun

Enjoyed reading this book ..it goes into the minor details , interlaced with fun and humor, and also lists practical tips to manage in workplace. Not everything is applicable but author does a good job of relating.
Aug 24, 2013 Laura rated it liked it
Shelves: gave-up
She was a good writer, and has interesting experiences to talk about. But it was written as advice that isn't entirely useful to someone in my role.
Shauna
May 20, 2011 Shauna rated it liked it
It was okay, not great. It did have some good ideas, but it wasn't what I hoped for in this book.
Etienne
Dec 20, 2016 Etienne rated it it was ok
did not like this book at all. stay away.
Valerie Sherman
Jul 20, 2016 Valerie Sherman rated it liked it
Old fashioned, but interesting and full of useful nuggets
Graham
Feb 05, 2008 Graham rated it it was ok
Saw the author of the book in an interesting DVD on leadership. She writes entertainingly, and I enjoyed the insider description of life "at the top" of one of the world's largest corporations.
Lori Grant
A should-read book on middle management for knowledge workers, managers, executives, and entrepreneurs.
Jessica
Jan 15, 2009 Jessica rated it liked it
Recommends it for: legal administrative assistants, executive assistants
Recommended to Jessica by: Colette, my supervisor
This book was recommended to me by my supervisor. The author, Rosanne, has some great tips on becoming an invaluable assistant. This is an excellent resource/survival guide for any assistant.
Taylor
Taylor rated it it was ok
May 20, 2017
Andy Leichtle
Andy Leichtle rated it really liked it
Sep 19, 2015
mariela monzon
mariela monzon rated it liked it
Dec 18, 2016
Kris Arthur
Kris Arthur rated it liked it
Jan 11, 2015
Patricia Elizabeth
Patricia Elizabeth rated it really liked it
Oct 27, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • Suddenly in Charge: Managing Up, Managing Down, Succeeding All Around
  • Career Warfare: 10 Rules for Building a Successful Personal Brand and Fighting to Keep It
  • Speak Like a CEO: Secrets for Commanding Attention and Getting Results: Secrets for Communicating Attention and Getting Results
  • A Sense of Urgency
  • In the Name of Sorrow and Hope
  • A Single Square Picture: A Korean Adoptee's Search for Her Roots
  • Mama's Boy, Preacher's Son: A Memoir
  • Negotiate This!: By Caring, But Not T-H-A-T Much
  • There's No Such Thing as "Business" Ethics: There's Only One Rule for Making Decisions
  • The Words of Gandhi
  • Me 2.0: Build a Powerful Brand to Achieve Career Success
  • Own the Room: Discover Your Signature Voice to Master Your Leadership Presence
  • Questions of Character: Illuminating the Heart of Leadership Through Literature
  • Forever Lily: An Unexpected Mother's Journey to Adoption in China
  • Fowl Weather
  • Ask For It: How Women Can Use the Power of Negotiation to Get What They Really Want
  • Twitter Power: How to Dominate Your Market One Tweet at a Time
  • It's Not the Big That Eat the Small...It's the Fast That Eat the Slow: How to Use Speed as a Competitive Tool in Business