Start by marking “Handfasting and Wedding Rituals: Welcoming Hera's Blessing” as Want to Read:
Handfasting and Wedding Rituals: Welcoming Hera's Blessing

Handfasting and Wedding Rituals: Welcoming Hera's Blessing

"Handfasting and Wedding Rituals" has everything you need to plan the perfect Pagan wedding. You'll find advice and examples to help you with basic wedding planning, writing vows, and ritual construction, along with practical tips and great ideas about everything from low-cost wedding favors to candle and bonfire safety.
"Handfasting and Wedding Rituals" also includes sixt
Published December 8th 2003 by Llewellyn Publications (first published December 1st 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Handfasting and Wedding Rituals, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Handfasting and Wedding Rituals

A phenomenal and amazing book, a MUST HAVE for anyone planning a handfasting, thinking about a handfasting, or looking to learn more about a handfasting. It is excellent and I can't recommend it highly enough.

I loved this book is because it is so diverse. There is an entire chapter on interfaith weddings, which includes pagan weddings with Christian (Catholic and Prodestant), Jewish, Muslim, Hindu, and Buddhist traditions. There is also an entire chapter specifically on handfastings with two me
Cara
Nov 02, 2010 Cara rated it really liked it
I checked this book out from the library after doing a search for Llewellyn books in the collection. I skimmed through a lot of this book, but read in detail certain parts that looked interesting to me. I think it may be very helpful in planning the ceremonial aspects of my future wedding! Definitely worth the read if you are stumped as to what to say. I wish it had more of what they call "level 1" stuff - things to say if you want to keep the pagan-y aspects toned down for the family attending, ...more
Yvonne
Feb 12, 2017 Yvonne rated it really liked it
If you are planning your own handfasting or facilitating one, this book is very in-depth. The author does a great job at covering all the basics and includes a wealth of information from wording and vows to incense making to decorations. For partners who are of dual faith or same faith, gay or straight, this book is awesome!
Bookwyrm Jim
Oct 08, 2016 Bookwyrm Jim rated it really liked it
Very helpful when I needed to put together a custom ritual for close friends.
Brad
Mar 28, 2008 Brad rated it really liked it
I recommend this book over all others on the market in regards to planning pagan weddings and handfastings.

Kaldera covers all things that need consideration. The planning, the place, the guests.........comfort levels of your guests and participants.

Best of all Kaldera takes a very gender neutral approach. Kaldera addresses and acknowledges GLBT individuals (being one himself), and considerations that need to be taken into account regarding a GLBT ceremony.

Kaldera also addresses the topic of in
Lisa
Aug 13, 2008 Lisa rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone that wants a great Wiccan wedding or merely some good ideas.
Recommended to Lisa by: I found it in the New Age section of Barnes & Noble
I purchased this book because, at the time, I was preparing for my wedding and wanted to incoporate some special themes into it. Reading through it gave me a myriad of ideas and it all honored things that were special to me. When the time comes, it will only add to the beauty that any good wedding should have, mine included.

As an ordained rabbi, it's important for me to be able to write my own ceremonies for the people that I marry. This book helped me prepare a lovely ceremony for a dear frien
Katherine
Jun 07, 2008 Katherine rated it it was ok
Shelves: home-library
I guess I expected more from this book. I wanted a book that would help me plan the entire handfasting/wedding. Unfortunately, this book is only helpful if you are trying to come up with the wording for that actual ceremony. Since we have an officiant that has preformed numerous handfastings, this is something that I wasn't as interested in. I would have liked more information about ideas for decorations, invitations, lore, etc. There is so much more to planning a wedding than just the wording o ...more
Janet Windeguth
May 09, 2009 Janet Windeguth rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, religion
This whole thing started because my best friend wanted to know why weddings had flower girls. Originally the plan was to show her the blurb on flower girls and return the book, but I got to paging through it and ended up reading it in its entirety. I don’t know anything about Neopaganism (or Paganism, or Heathenism, or whatever the current PC term is), and this is a fascinating glimpse into one small aspect. The ceremonies are simple, very nature-oriented, and much more personal than the traditi ...more
Lianne (The Towering Pile) Lavoie
I definitely got some good ideas from this book. It covers some really difficult topics, including having a pagan wedding without offending your conservative Christian relatives, which is really useful. I also like that it covers a variety of pagan paths. Too often I find that pagan books are 95% Wiccan, and if you're not Wiccan, the book isn't terribly relevant to you. But this book had elements of many different traditions, so I think it could provide inspiration to any pagan planning a handfa ...more
Clare K. R.
Aug 12, 2014 Clare K. R. rated it liked it
Shelves: nonfiction, pagan, own, 2014
I think that this book would be an excellent addition to any Pagan group's library and especially important for any Pagan clergyperson who performs, or would like to perform, weddings; it has a great breadth and depth of material. As a barely-practicing Pagan getting married to an atheist, not involved in any Pagan group, large chunks of this book had no relevance to me. However, I did find several useful ideas (especially for the vows), so it was worth the price.
Scarlet Blu
Sep 03, 2008 Scarlet Blu rated it it was amazing
This book was terrific! It covered a wide variety of ideas, options, traditions and techniques for constructing a Wedding or Handfasting ceremony for just about any situation and any couple. This was probably the greatest resource I had when my husband and I created our own public wedding ceremony. A must have for any pagan bride, groom or clergyperson!
Guin
Nov 08, 2007 Guin rated it really liked it
If you want to start performing handfastings/weddings, this book is a good place to start. There's a lot of information and guidelines to help guide you through designing the perfect wedding ceremony for each couple. There are even complete ceremonies included.
Jessica
Sep 10, 2013 Jessica rated it really liked it
There are lots of great ideas in here! There are even suggestions for polyamorous ceremonies. My favorite part was that the various suggestions were rated levels 1-3 for how pagan they were. My one issue was that the writing seems to be aimed more at officiants than happy couples.
Stephanie
Aug 16, 2014 Stephanie rated it liked it
Helpful for creating a ceremony from scratch... I feel much more prepared to write our ceremony script and vows. The LGBTQ chapters, divorce, an theatrical chapters were interesting but not useful for me.
Susan
Apr 22, 2015 Susan rated it it was amazing
Shelves: pagan
This is my go-to book when planning a wedding, even if the people getting married are not Pagan. It offers some lovely ceremonies for a variety of situations. The ring exchange ceremony is a staple of my officiant offerings. If you buy one book on doing handfastings, this should be it.
Jaina Bee
Jul 20, 2009 Jaina Bee rated it liked it
Shelves: useful
A fine and detailed source for alternative commitments, including many variations on "mixed" marriages (pagan/catholic, pagan/jewish, pagan/atheist…) , a rainbow of gender combos, and weddings involving three or more spice (that's plural for spouse, right?).
Levia
Jul 31, 2014 Levia rated it it was amazing
Great book that has full length ritual ideas for handfastings (pagan weddings). I used it when planning my own handfasting years ago.
Blackcatmoon66
Jan 08, 2013 Blackcatmoon66 rated it it was ok
I really thought this book would be more about handfasting rather then blessings and such FOR handfasting. A bit disappointing.
Tahyun
Sep 24, 2016 Tahyun rated it really liked it
Shelves: wedding
I used this book to piece together my own ceremony. I thought it had a lot of good material and many points of view.
Amanda
Oct 14, 2013 Amanda rated it liked it
Shelves: my-path
It wasn't worth it. I got this to suggest some ways for my multi religious ceramony and for suggestions to not upset my christian family...I was disappointed.
Bang Kodir
Bang Kodir rated it really liked it
Jun 07, 2015
Meander
Meander rated it liked it
Aug 01, 2008
Donna
Donna rated it really liked it
Apr 03, 2016
Jennifer rated it really liked it
Dec 29, 2015
Alyska
Alyska rated it liked it
Aug 27, 2014
Jonah
Jonah rated it liked it
Mar 01, 2013
Kimberly Stevens
Kimberly Stevens rated it it was ok
Dec 14, 2016
rene hollandsworth
rene hollandsworth rated it it was amazing
Feb 25, 2015
Silence Longing
Silence Longing rated it it was amazing
Nov 27, 2012
Kirstin Buchanan
Kirstin Buchanan rated it it was amazing
Oct 01, 2014
  • Midsummer: Magical Celebrations of the Summer Solstice
  • Coven Craft: Witchcraft for Three or More
  • Autumn Equinox: The Enchantment of Mabon
  • Book of Pagan Prayer
  • Mabon: Celebrating the Autumn Equinox
  • Yule: A Celebration of Light & Warmth
  • Witch's Halloween: A Complete Guide to the Magick, Incantations, Recipes, Spells, and Lore
  • Ostara: Customs, Spells & Rituals for the Rites of Spring