Start by marking “Meow, Baby!” as Want to Read:
Meow, Baby!

Meow, Baby!

After seven books that have ranged from tragedy (Hey, Wait...) to drama (Sshhhh!) to thriller melodrama (The Iron Wagon, Why Are You Doing This?), Jason unleashes his inner Scandinavian goofball with this big collection of hilarious shorter pieces. God, the Devil, mummies, vampires, zombies, werewolves, reanimated skeletons, space invaders, Death, cavemen, Godzilla and Elv ...more
Published December 2005 by Fantagraphics (first published January 1st 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Meow, Baby!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Meow, Baby!

Anthony Vacca
Jul 18, 2014 Anthony Vacca rated it liked it
Jason cuts loose in this collection of absurdist vignettes about insecure vampires having trouble wooing ladies, werewolves transforming at the most awkward times, zombies worrying about their B.O., bored skeletons tying to come up with ways to pass the longueurs of the grave, urbane cavemen clubbing women and dragging them off to the bedroom, and the Governator trying to find all those perfect conversational chances to say, "I'll be back!" Most of these scenarios run no longer than a page and a ...more
Ashique Majeed
Sep 22, 2016 Ashique Majeed rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
I would not recommend this book to a newbie in the area of Jason. It would be best if you read other books of Jason like " I killed Adolf Hitler " before reading this one. .
Andrew
Mar 08, 2016 Andrew rated it liked it
A collection of Jason's shorter, gag-based comics. It's long for a Jason book, but it's best experienced in one big gulp. Jason repeats gags until they stop being funny, then he keeps repeating them until they become funny again. I missed the poignancy of, say, Lost Cat or Hey, Wait..., but there's no such thing as a bad Jason book.
Lauren
Jan 17, 2012 Lauren rated it really liked it
Shelves: gn-comic-books
I would definitely not advise that anyone read this as their first venture into the work of Jason. Seasoned readers will recognize the style and humor while it's likely virginal readers will be confused and turned off. Read this short story collection of morbid crackups as a follow-up to at least two or three other Jason novellas.
Brent Legault
Jan 11, 2008 Brent Legault rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Abbots, Costellos
Don't expect insight or pathos from this gag reel. Just get into its sheer stoogery. Remember, it's only a cartoon!
Mirkka Kallio
Mar 19, 2016 Mirkka Kallio rated it did not like it
Hate the rape "jokes". :(
Beatrice
Mar 28, 2009 Beatrice rated it it was amazing
Shelves: lit
The most recent book by this cartoonist is a graphic novel called "I Killed Adolph Hitler", which (although I have not yet read all of it) seems an awful lot like the Maus series... animals playing the role of humans, with different ethnicities/races represented by different animals species. Sort of a Kafkaesque play on the nature of species-- particularly the human.

I guess you could call Meow, Baby Kafkaesque as well. But it's also just, simply, funny. It's not a graphic novel, but a series of
Troy
Feb 24, 2010 Troy rated it liked it
Shelves: comics, read-in-2010
It's not really fair to give this three stars since it's mainly a collection of shorts that are tenuously connected by iconic characters (a mummy, a vampire, a werewolf, Elvis, Jesus, etc). Many of the shorts are near perfect and damn funny. Some are laugh-out loud funny (for example, I was watching Lost at a friend's house and he got there late, so we rewound and started watching from the beginning on the DVR and while he was watching I was reading this book and kept laughing and laughing, whic ...more
Sam Quixote
Jul 29, 2011 Sam Quixote rated it it was amazing
The book is a lot thicker than Jason's books, being the size of about 3 of his usual sized books combined. It's a shame his publishers have temporarily stopped printing copies but I suspect as with the recent repub of Sshhhh! that it won't be long before we see this as well as "Tell Me Something" and "The Iron Wagon" being reissued.

Unlike a number of Jason's other books, this isn't a 48 page comics novella but rather an assortment of 1 or 2 page stories involving aliens, cavemen, Elvis imperson
مصطفي سليمان

قصص مريبة بس جذابة لسبب مجهول

Jamie
Jul 07, 2007 Jamie rated it did not like it
Shelves: graphicnovels
Having only read Jason's clever Left-Bank Gang prior to this, I think my expectations for Meow, Baby! were a bit off. This is a collection of short strips that are only connected by the fact that they feature Jason's odd brand of animal characters as old-school monsters--a mummy, a vampire, Frankenstein's monster, etc. The strips are all non sequiturs, and fell into two camps: I got the joke but didn't find it funny, or the humor was lost on me. They all tend to hinge on the absurdity of these c ...more
Kate
Jun 08, 2011 Kate rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic-novels, humor
This series of vignettes show hilarious, bumbling, little moments in the lives of mummies, zombies, skeletons, vampires, cavemen, and other zany characters.

Jason is excellent at setting up a scene and delivering a goofy punchline. As I read this I found myself thinking of Sergio Aragones. I could almost hear a slide whistle in the background as I read some of the panels. He really hit his stride in this one. I ended up showing this book to several people while I had it. Some jokes just really ne
Christopher
This was probably the wrong Jason work to start with. What I thought was a graphic novel turned out to be a collection of short comic strips, although there was no indication (that I saw) that it was a collection of short strips rather than a graphic novel, so like a dummy I found myself trying to connect seemingly (and truly) unconnectable pages and panels.

Even so, having discovered the true nature of the book, the cleverness seems spread thinly. The situational irony of Dracula lounging at the
Stephanie
Dec 11, 2007 Stephanie rated it liked it
Basic black and white drawings with no words. Makes me laugh every time. From the back cover: "Starring: One mummy, one god, one angel, one devil, one plastic surgeon, one Dracula, one Van Helsing, two ambulatory skeletons, one ice cream girl, two policemen, one space alien , one rocket ship, one Egyptian explorer, one werewolf, one family of cavemen, one Frankenstein monster, one pizza delivery guy..."
Destinee Sutton
Nov 08, 2007 Destinee Sutton rated it it was ok
Shelves: graphic
There are both decent and awful jokes in this book. I didn't laugh out loud once reading it, which is bad news because I LOL at even the stupidest stuff (for example, today I walked past a framing store that had a picture of a bird behind bars saying, "I didn't do it! I was framed!" and I LOLed at that).

I might have smirked a few times reading this, but I think I'm ready to be done with my Jason kick.
Ross McLean
Mar 09, 2016 Ross McLean rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
A series of one-off gags featuring famous monsters and stock characters trying to live their lives in the real world: Think a more dead-pan Gary Larson meets Savage Chickens with a touch of pathos. Given how much I loved Jason's oddly touching 'I Killed Adolf Hitler', this was initially a bit of a disappointment. But once I got over that, its still pretty great in its own way. A mixture of solid groaners and clever nonsequitors that provided me with consistent giggles.
Mahmoud Radi
Nov 20, 2014 Mahmoud Radi rated it really liked it
Shelves: comic-books
الكاتب والرسام النرويجي جيسون من أخف المؤلفين ظلًا على الإطلاق وأكثرهم جنونًا في حقل القصص المصورة، يستغل هنا الكثير من الشخصيات المعروفة للبشر كافة باختلاف ثقافاتها في هذه السلسلة الجنونية الصامتة أو شبه الصامتة من "الكوميك ستربيز" ويلقى بها في عشرات المواقف الكوميدية التي لن تتمالك نفسك معها من الضحك وقد ينتهي بك الأمر بمشاركة الكثير منها عبر حسابك على فيس بوك.
Erin
Read this in Almost Silent. It was my least favorite in the collection. I enjoyed the simplicity, humanness, and humor of each of the stories within it, but like works where you become a bit more involved with the characters.
Susan
Sep 30, 2011 Susan rated it did not like it
This is supposedly by "Norway's greatest cartoonist." If so, I won't be reading any more cartoons from Norway. I found a few of the strips mildly funny. Many, many more I simply couldn't even understand. The author has a taste for the bizarre, so mummies, zombies, skeletons, and other weird characters make frequent appearances.
Tim
Dec 27, 2008 Tim rated it it was ok
My least favorite of Jason's work so far. A bunch of fantasy shorts. Some are amusing, but they quickly get repetitive. Yes, yes, modern-day caveman uses a cell phone but still knocks out women with a club and drags them home. We get it, honestly we do, no need to repeat the gag half a dozen times.
Lionel
Feb 19, 2010 Lionel rated it really liked it
Shelves: humor, comics
I think this is the first Jason collection I've read. Good stuff. Short one or two page strips featuring mummies, Dracula, Van Helsing, wolfmen, the Terminator, zombies, devils, angels, aliens and Elvis, among others.
Jason Bootle
Nov 10, 2013 Jason Bootle rated it it was ok
Not my favourite of Jason's work. This is a collection of shorter 3, 6 or 12 frame gags. Sunday paper style funnies which have all the hallmarks of Jason's work but really shine in his longer stories.
Joe
Sep 24, 2010 Joe rated it really liked it
Jason is one of my new favorite graphic novelists / cartoonists. He / she / it deserves a lot of praise for conveying such great material without any words. Some of his stories are like these little miniature puzzles that require some thinking to figure out. Cool stuff
tito decabrio
Aug 26, 2016 tito decabrio rated it liked it
Shelves: comics
its the first of a kind
first collected works comic book i read
there is some good jokes
and some bad ones as expected
jokes arnt made for everyone to laugh about anyway
not the enjoyment i used to get from jason works but its still good :D
Dan
Jul 04, 2007 Dan rated it it was amazing
Another great graphic novel collection from Jason. A big more diverse than SHHHhhhh, Meow,Baby! is comprised of mostly gag strips with a few longer pieces. Words are employed here and there as well.
Rory
May 11, 2009 Rory rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: people with attention-deficit issues, maybe--or already-fans of Jason
Frantic mofo of a book! Not Jason's usual tempo or focus. Tons of fun, though, if you just lose yourself in it.
Brandon
Sep 11, 2014 Brandon rated it really liked it
I am on a comics kick! Started reading this kinda by accident and it turned out to be right up my alley (read: mummy and caveman jokes).
Naomi
Jan 16, 2009 Naomi rated it liked it
lots of smaller stories by Jason. I was not such a fan of the caveman stories, but the angsty werewolf and angsty dracula made up for those.
Jason
  • Moomin: The Complete Lars Jansson Comic Strip, Vol. 6
  • Peanuts: The Art of Charles M. Schulz
  • The Three Paradoxes
  • Same Difference and Other Stories
  • B.P.R.D., Vol. 3: Plague of Frogs (B.P.R.D., #3)
  • Come prima
  • Marble Season
There are multiple authors with this single name, but Goodreads is unable to differentiate between them. The most prominent is the author below.

John Arne Sæterøy (born 16 May 1965 in Molde), better known by the pen name Jason, is a Norwegian cartoonist, known for his sparse drawing style and silent, anthropomorphic animal characters.

He has been nominated for two Ignatz Awards (2000: Outstanding St