Start by marking “Spider's Web” as Want to Read:
Spider's Web

Spider's Web

3.65 of 5 stars 3.65  ·  rating details  ·  2,558 ratings  ·  168 reviews
Clarissa, the young wife of a foreign office diplomat, is given to daydreaming. "Supposing I were to come down one morning and find a dead body in the library, what should I do?", she muses.

She has the chance to find out when she discovers a body ... in her drawing room. Desperate to dispose of it, she attempts to persuade her house guests to become accessories and accompl
Published August 13th 2001 by St. Martin's Paperbacks (first published 1954)

To ask other readers questions about Spider's Web, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Spider's Web

Dr.Mohd Sulaiman
It keeps you guessing to the end!
Daniel Johnston
May 31, 2009 Daniel Johnston rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Hardcore Agatha Christie fans.
This book started out as an Agatha Christie play, and decades later was adapted to book form by Charles Osbourne. First things first, to get it off my chest, this book reads much like a play. Set in one main scene, in a single timeframe (a night), and heavily (and I mean heavily!) dialogue driven it feels like you are reading the play script.

Once you get past that fact, you get a very short and very average Agatha Christie mystery. The story, once you get passed the first 50 pages reads relative
Viviana
Mais um livro surpreendente da Rainha da Morte.
Agatha Christie consegue surpreender-me sempre e, com este livro, não foi excepção.
Diferente dos outros livros da autora, este policial poderia facilmente ser adaptado a uma peça de teatro. Toda a acção deste policial decorre no mesmo espaço: a sala. E é nessa sala que, misteriosamente, nos deparamos com um cadáver.
No início, confesso que fiquei um pouco confusa: as personagens são várias mas toda a acção decorre no mesmo local. Quase que podemos ve
Adela C.
Ana
Una vez más confirmo que Agatha Christie es mi autora favorita, o género, no sé. Lo que sí sé es que me sigue impresionando en cada relato y sigue teniendo la misma magia en cada historia. Sí, me refiero a que en que siempre llega un punto del misterio donde todos pueden ser culpables, luego, ninguno podría ser el culpable, y al último siempre me sorprendo. Más porque durante todo el relato juega con los pensamientos y los actos de los personajes, llevando mis deducciones a los extremos.

Imaginen
Kavita
This is an adaptation of Christie's play into novel form, and Charles Osborne has done a decent job. The book starts off with a house party consisting of three guests and the husband and wife as hosts, plus a child. There are three servants - the butler, the cook and the gardener, and there are two policemen. The entire story revolves around the house and all the characters operate within the space limits.

The book lacks Christie's detailed description, probably because it was originally written
Faa
The challenge in writing a play into novel, is to ensure the flow and narrative of the plot is smooth and entertwine from one chapters to the others. Spider's Web is one from many Agatha's plays that I am satisfied with as a novel. Charles Osborne has do her justice in this book.

Knowing Clarissa and her stepdaughter, Pippa; I realized that no matter how carefree and social Clarissa was, her true love and happiness really belonged to Henry Hailsham-Brown and their small family. Therefore that fac
Chuck
57 out of 100 for 2010.

Although I've enjoyed the 'Miss Marple' and 'Poirot' mini series, I haven't read an Agatha Christie novel since she was alive. 'twas the summer of '75 and I was spending much of it with my maternal grandmother, who lived in a fairly remote area ('tis no longer, but was then). The allure of working outside in a truck farm (what she called a 'garden') and exploring a mosquito infested woods faded after a week or so, so I started working my way through my grandmother's librar
Andrew
as I understand it this book is a narrative drawn posthumously from a play that she wrote.
as such (alike a play)the tale takes place within one area within a house and could feel a little limited because of this....however it does have enough twists and turns to retain interest.
I understand given its one form derived from another that maybe this isn't classic Christie as however this is my late introduction to the author I couldn't really speculate on that..it did however deliver elements I was
Kimberley doruyter
it's good that's it's a short book i don't think it's one of her best.
Adel Zaki
Spider's Web by Agatha Christie is a murder mystery that takes place in an English country estate in what appears to be post ww2 England. Copplestone Court is the home of Henry and Clarissa Hailsham-Brown. Clarissa is joined by her house guests Sir Rowland, Hugo Birch and Jeremy Warender. Henry's first wife had a daughter with him but left him for Oliver Costello. Now Clarissa is the stepmother of the daughter who is named Pippa. Pippa hated her mother and Oliver because of their abuse to her. C ...more
Alisa
This book was originally written as play. That's why it's really easy and quick to read.

The Plot:
The action is floating smoothly and really fast. Honestly, I couldn't find out who was the murderer until the last page!

The characters:

Pippa is an extraordinary child - seriously, she ate at least half a dozen buns and biscuits with milk and fruit, 1-2 mousses, dinner, and more biscuits with milk. If I were her, I would had stomachache or diabetes.
Hugo is the most adorable and funniest of them al
Cameron Toney
This was a play, and it reads like one. Someone just removed all the script markers, and added in some exposition.
Its not amazingly successful. You get to see the bad guy running about while the main character is away, which is not the most successful thing to do in a murder mystery.
I love Agatha Christie, but this is not the most successful version of this.
Andreia Silva
"A Teia de Aranha" é, na realidade, uma peça de teatro escrita por Agatha Christie que só muito mais tarde, por Charles Osborne, em 2000, foi transformada em romance policial, tal como nos é apresentado neste livro.

Nele não encontramos nenhum dos seus detectives mais aclamados, sendo por isso um livro não tão característico da autora nem tão identificável para um fã. Digo eu, que apenas li três livros dela! Temos um policial clássico britânico, cujo assassinato apenas acontece quase a metade do
Anthony Sementilli
PROS
-High concept: A body appears mysteriously in your house, and you need to convince your guests to hide it with before the police arrive? Ingenious.

CONS
-Execution: Too bad the pacing didn't do anything for the story. I read about 50 pages, and there still was not a single mention of the body. Just needless exposition, character introductions, and a couple of chapters that clearly just "set the mood" for some of the cast.

OVERALL
-I couldn't finish this book. It sounded like it would have been o
Micha
This is the first Christie that I owned, rather than what was lent by my sister, mother, friend, or the library. I remember wishing I could live in the big fancy house Clarissa lives in where you dress for dinner and eat chocolate mousse late at night, even if murders do happen there.
Karen GoatKeeper
Originally a stage play this is adapted into a novel. Being a stage play, almost the entire book takes place in a single room with the characters coming and going. Timing is everything.
The husband works for the foreign office. The Prime Minister and a top Russian official will be meeting at the house later in the evening. He has gone to get the official at the airport.
The wife has an unwelcome visitor who later turns up dead. Bodies and police are not good for top secret meetings.
Typical Christi
Estefânia Botelho
Razões da escolha do livro: Oferta Editora Asa.
Proveniência: Editora Asa/ a minha biblioteca.
A minha Opinião:
Agatha Christie consegue sempre suspreender e manter o leitor preso ao livro por muitos livros que já se tenham lido desta escritora.
“A Teia de Aranha” é uma peça de teatro escrita por Agatha Christie e adaptada por Charles Osborne. Esta peça, paralelamente a muitas outras levadas a cena pela mão da “Rainha do crime”, teve um sucesso espectacular, mantendo-se em cena durante muitos anos.
Bigyellowtaxi1
Okay, I'll admit it... I picked this up without realising (until I got home) that this was a novelisation of the play and not the play itself. I'd very much like to read the play because I greatly enjoyed this and I'd love to read it in it's original form.

It still reads like a play, lots of dialogue, the vast majority of the action takes place in the drawing room. Even the descriptions of the characters actions read like stage directions. I like tht they haven't tried to alter the play too much
Mazel
Clarissa s'est mariée avec Henry Hailshaw-Brown qui travaille au ministère des Affaire étrangères.

Le couple habite une demeure de style à la campagne, mais la jeune femme s'y ennuie un peu.

Aussi adore-t-elle recevoir quelques amis dont son tuteur Sir Rowland Delahaye, le vieux juge de paix Hugo Birch, ainsi que Jeremy Warrender, qui ne rate jamais une occasion pour tenter de la séduire.

Pippa, la fille de Henry, née d'un premier mariage, rentre de l'école. Elle refuse de vivre chez sa mère tox
Filipe Dias
O último livro que li da autora já foi há vários anos, provavelmente há 5 anos. Ora, surgiu uma oportunidade de ler um recente e aproveitei. Foi este, A Teia da Aranha.
A trama passa-se basicamente num só espaço, uma sala. Envolve um grupo de amigos, cordialmente a passar o serão em casa da personagem principal, a Clarissa.
A Clarissa é uma mulher jovem, com forte apetência para pegar partidas e ligeiras mentiras em tom de brincadeira. Casada com um homem de negócios, e de elevada classe social, v
Eva
A play by Agatha Christie that has been turned into a novel.

But this novel still reads like a play; for example: it mostly consists of dialogue and there are only two descriptions. You don't find out what the house or even the main characters look like, nor any real insight into their everyday lives until they are turned upside down by this murder. These are only minor annoyances; I still feel like this books deserves at least three stars.

The plot was flawless and there were some twists near the
Grace Hagen
This book is a really easy, entertaining read because it's a play that's been adapted into a novel, so it doesn't get bogged down by detailed descriptions of the setting. It's exciting and has all of the twists and turns expected in an Agatha Christie novel, but it takes place in a single house with limited characters. I really enjoyed the mystery as well as the dynamic between the characters. It wasn't my favorite Agatha Christie mystery, but it was still very entertaining.
Christa
I found this novelization to be decent, but not great. It was awkwardly obvious at various points that what would otherwise have been stage direction had been incompletely worked into the narrative (especially the entrances and exits of characters). Otherwise, a decent mystery with some fun characters. I might add that, in a change from the usual sea of suspects, there seems to be a shortage of suspicious characters and motives, which makes for a nice change. I think I'd like to see the play!
Anu Harchu
4.8/5.0
Агата Кристи "Аалзны тор" нэртэй жүжиг бичсэн бөгөөд дараа нь Чарлез Осборн уг жүжгийг тууж болгон бичсэн байна.

Эцэг эх нь салсан охин эх дээрээ хойд эцэгтэйгээ байснаас эцэг дээрээ хойд эхтэйгээ байхыг илүүд үзнэ. Охин гэртээ хойд эцгээ харсан бөгөөд уурандаа толгой руу нь саваагаар цохиж орхино. Цохиулсан эр тэр дороо нас барах бөгөөд энэ үлдсэн асуудлуудыг сэргэлэн хойд эх нь зохицуулахаар үлдэнэ.

Харин хэн нэгэн цагдаа нарт уг байшинд хүн амины хэрэг гарсан байна гэж мэдээллэсэн байла
Judy Hall
This was a novel adapted from an Agatha Christie play, but not by Dame Agatha, read by Hugh Fraser. As an audiobook, Hugh Fraser did a great job. This is two with him. I'm very impressed. He knows how to be a 12/13 year girl without sounding like a spoiled toddler.

From a story perspective, it's very obviously an adaptation. All of the non-dialog sounds like stage direction with a few (very few) adjectives thrown in. It's an interesting story. I figured almost all of it out, very early. That's u
Alluka
This is my first time to read Agatha Christie's work and I should've tried reading her books before in the first place if I have known that she was really good. Started reading yesterday and finished it today. It was fun reading it. Too bad that I'm not familiar with the play. What strikes me to read it was the synopsis. I've been really fond of mystery murder stories and Clarissa really caught my attention because of her personality. Then I slowly realized why the title was Spider's Web. You'll ...more
Ainur
OMG. I had so much fun reading this. This is a novel adapted by one of Christie’s plays. It’s short and quick read. I read this during my one hour and 15 minutes flight from London to Amsterdam. I simply cannot put it down. Definitely a page-turner. (Being a Christie’s fan myself, I probably be biased about this.)

I love the plot, it’s simple and not complicated. The whole event took place at Clarissa’s house (heck, only one part of the house). Unpredictable, as usual. (I kept thinking that the g
Fatima
I had heard and read so much about Agatha Christie so I picked up one of her books from the library.
I am just glad that I picked up this book,I just loved it.
I was just glued to the book ,there is so much suspense and thrill and it is amazingly unpredictable.

The crux of the play is the mystery behind the body Clarissa happens to find in her home and how she and her well reputed friends try getting rid of the corpse without informing the police just to avoid the nasty things which would follow af
France-Andrée
This was adapted from a play and it really has the best quality about such an adaptation : it was very visual; so easily imagined. The story was cute and funny, felt like vintage Agatha Christie; I don't know how much Charles Osborne did to make the story readable as a whole, but it didn't feel too stagy or disjointed so I'm thinking he did a good job of it. As a mystery it is also very well thought which I always expect of Christie and I didn't guess the killer until we were almost at the revea ...more
  • A Late Phoenix (Inspector Sloan #4)
  • Agatha Christie: A Biography
  • Death to the Landlords (Felse, #11)
  • The Rose and the Yew Tree
  • The Headmistress
  • Reservations for Murder (A Lighthouse Inn Mystery, #2)
  • The Life and Times of Hercule Poirot
  • Agatha Christie
  • Dead Past (Diane Fallon Forensic Investigation #4)
  • Duchess of Death: The Unauthorized Biography of Agatha Christie
  • The Berkeley Square Affair (Charles & Mélanie Fraser, #7)
  • The Case of the Lazy Lover
  • You Never Know with Women
  • Sherlock Holmes and the King's Evil: And Other New Tales Featuring the World's Greatest Detective (Sherlock Holmes, #4)
  • The Gap in the Curtain (Sir Edward Leithen #4)

More about Agatha Christie...
And Then There Were None Murder on the Orient Express (Hercule Poirot, #10) The Mysterious Affair at Styles (Hercule Poirot, #1) Murder at the Vicarage (Miss Marple, #1) The Murder of Roger Ackroyd (Hercule Poirot, #4)