Start by marking “The Captain Lands in Paradise” as Want to Read:
The Captain Lands in Paradise

The Captain Lands in Paradise

Sarah Manguso’s first collection, a combination of verse and prose poems, explores love, nostalgia, remorse, and the joyful and mysterious preparation for the discoveries of new lands, selves, and ideas. The voice is consistently spare, honest, understated, and eccentric.
Published July 1st 2002 by Alice James Books (first published January 1st 2002)

To ask other readers questions about The Captain Lands in Paradise, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Captain Lands in Paradise

Helena
Dec 03, 2007 Helena rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: fellow poetry groupies; proponents of the unabashedly beautiful
Holy fuck.

This is one of those books of poetry I keep next to my elbow while writing prose, so I can read it and be inspired when my own prose starts not to sound beautiful enough.

It's also one of those books of poetry that makes you desperate to be best friends with the author, and SURE that she would be your best friend, if only you could meet her.

Seriously. It's like having fantastic sex next to a half-open window on the first cold day of autumn. That's how good.

unnarrator
Sep 23, 2009 unnarrator rated it liked it
Her first, the obviously-an-MFA-manuscript book. Which is not to say there aren't delightful and astonishing moments. But nothing that makes me have to put the book down because I am so blown away. Not yet anyway.
Jim
Jul 28, 2011 Jim rated it really liked it
Shelves: small-press, 2013
I don't think I'd win many arguments trying to convince you that Sarah Manguso's poems are personal. They aren't vignettes or quotidian or breathless. There isn't much in the way of a persona lurking behind her poems. Quite the opposite, there's an almost airless quality. Like looking up at the heavens in a night filled with stars and this text starts scrolling down like the opening sequence to star wars. That's what Manguso's poetry is like. Not non-sequiturs or quips or even aphorisms. Just th ...more
Jason
Feb 02, 2011 Jason rated it really liked it
Shelves: we-own, poetry
Great poems make you wish you were a poet. Or, if you once were a poet, great poems make you miss being a poet in a way not unlike, I suspect, one might miss God if one no longer believed in God. And these poems -- most of them, that is -- do that. Too many of them are too inscrutable, and so (while often beautiful) are a touch too alienating to give the book five stars. But the poems in here that stun ("Beautiful Things," "Wild Goose Chase," "Address to Winnie in Paris," "What I Found," "The Ba ...more
Rachel
Jul 18, 2008 Rachel rated it it was amazing
Great poetry. Even if you don't like poetry, you should try it. "Beautiful Things" is now one of my all-time favorite poems. Check it out:

BEAUTIFUL THINGS

Sometimes I think I understand the way things work
And then I find out that on Neptune it rains diamonds.
On this world you can get out of work early, unclog the drain,
hear music. Any of the above should prove the existence
of God or at least some kind of beautifying engine
but in Germany when they couldn't figure out
how to tranquilize the polar b
Kent
Mar 14, 2009 Kent rated it really liked it
I'm interested in the way the imagination helps to spell out the wisdom in this book, and I'm assured of the imagination's strength in composing these poems, but I'm not sure how far they take me with their wisdom. And I feel that the speaker in these poems is very interested in making me understand what she has discovered.
Tasha Cotter
Mar 17, 2009 Tasha Cotter rated it it was amazing
Brilliant collection of poetry. I really like her work.
Dawn
Feb 20, 2008 Dawn rated it liked it
Like a primer when I began writing school and then like a "stone" because that's exactly what Jane M. said about using the word "stone" when you don't know shit.
Aug 04, 2011 Sarah rated it it was amazing
Brilliant book filled with fantastic language and imagery. I found the earlier poems in the book stronger than the later ones, but all are worth a read.
Amanda
Jul 03, 2007 Amanda rated it it was amazing
I'd eat it!
Allyson
Jun 07, 2013 Allyson rated it liked it
I just finished Two Kinds of Decay and feel drawn to read everything she has published in book form.

I admire her work, very much so.

Corin
Feb 28, 2016 Corin rated it liked it
3.5
Vincent Scarpa
Dec 20, 2014 Vincent Scarpa rated it liked it
Some really great stuff here, but I much prefer her second collection, Siste Viator, which feels like it has more skin in the game, so to speak.
Jesse Rice-Evans
Apr 05, 2015 Jesse Rice-Evans rated it liked it
Manguso's sometimes esoteric style works well in her short prose; in poetry, it prompts more questions than it solves.
Kit
Kit rated it really liked it
Feb 02, 2016
Valerie
Valerie rated it really liked it
Jul 10, 2007
Caitlyn
Caitlyn rated it it was amazing
Apr 21, 2010
Christopher
Christopher rated it it was ok
Jun 02, 2013
Louise
Louise rated it really liked it
Mar 26, 2008
Jody Buchman
Jody Buchman rated it really liked it
Jun 17, 2008
Kristin Ravel
Kristin Ravel rated it it was amazing
May 25, 2009
uena
uena rated it really liked it
May 09, 2011
Kristina138
Kristina138 rated it it was amazing
Mar 24, 2012
Nico Perez
Nico Perez rated it liked it
Mar 07, 2012
Sandy Longhorn
Sandy Longhorn rated it it was amazing
Aug 30, 2009
Megan
Megan rated it really liked it
Feb 18, 2009
Blue
Blue rated it really liked it
Jun 04, 2012
Cassandra
Cassandra rated it really liked it
Jun 08, 2009
Michelle
Michelle rated it liked it
Apr 30, 2010
Marisa
Marisa rated it it was amazing
Apr 24, 2013
  • New Collected Poems
  • Holy Land
  • The Babies
  • [one love affair]*
Sarah Manguso (b. 1974) is an American writer and poet. In 2007, she was awarded the Joseph Brodsky Rome Prize Fellowship in literature by the American Academy of Arts and Letters. Her memoir The Two Kinds of Decay (2008), was reviewed by the New York Times Sunday Book Review and named a 2008 "Best Nonfiction Book of the Year" by the San Francisco Chronicle.

Her poems and prose have appeared in The
More about Sarah Manguso...