Start by marking “The Boy Who Looked Like Lincoln” as Want to Read:
The Boy Who Looked Like Lincoln

The Boy Who Looked Like Lincoln

4.14 of 5 stars 4.14  ·  rating details  ·  164 ratings  ·  36 reviews
Mike Reiss, writer for The Simpsons, and David Catrow, honored twice with a New York Times best illustrated book of the year, have joined forces once again for their quirkiest book yet.

Benjy has an unusual problem. He looks just like Abraham Lincoln-right down to the wart and beard. Needless to say, his life isn't easy. He gets gifts of Lincoln Logs and stovepipe hats on
Published December 29th 2003 by Price Stern Sloan

To ask other readers questions about The Boy Who Looked Like Lincoln, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Boy Who Looked Like Lincoln

Jessica
Over the years I've lost count of how many times I've read this book. All three of my kids have gone through phases where they've had to had me read it to them every day. Right now it's Baby Roo's turn, though after the first page he "reads" it to me. I also just read it aloud to my 10yo's 4th grade class, they were in stitches over it. Such a bizarre and hilarious book, with so much to look at on every page and a wealth of great jokes for the parents as well.
Kate Hastings
I love books that are just a little bit wrong... and that would be this book. A boy is tired of the grief he is given for looking like the President Lincoln. He has to wear stovepipe hats, be Lincoln in plays that don't have Lincoln in them, get asked about building fences, etc.

So he goes to a camp where other kids look like things (bowling ball heads, toasters, horses' butt, etc.) and comes to terms with his appearance. Hysterical.
Shelli
Abraham Lincoln may have been one of our nation’s greatest leaders, he was not however one of our more handsome ones. Even Lincoln himself said that he couldn’t possibly be two faced, because if he had a second one why would he wear the one he had? Benjy is a young boy who looks like a miniature Abraham Lincoln and is often mocked for, or reminded of his famous look. It is not until he attends a summer camp filled with fellow relatable youth that he learns to appreciate his appearance.

A super f
nicole
May 16, 2007 nicole rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: The Simpons.
Shelves: picture-books
Like the title says... this is a book about a boy named Benjy, who looks like Lincoln. All the local kids torment him because of his face, and he's even forced to play Abe in school plays (regardless of whether or not Lincoln is in the script), which he hates... that is until he's forced to attend a summer camp for "kids who look like things". There he befriends kids with bowling pins, giant ears, toasters, and even the Mona Lisa for heads. His closest camp friend has a face that looks like "a h ...more
Bethe
What a hoot - can almost call them a comedy team: Reiss and Catrow! Wacky illustrations (look carefully, surprises abound) accompany an even wackier premise - a boy with the face of Lincoln, whiskers and all! Love Camp What-Cha-Ma-Call-It with all the crazy campers. Short text doesn't rhyme like many other Reiss books, but will still make a great read aloud. Funny surprise ending that young readers may not get, but most adults will.
J.F.
Mike Reiss, a writer for the show The Simpsons, and famous Children's Book Illustrator, David Catrow, team up to create a hilarious book about self-esteem, identity, self-acceptance. In The Boy Who Looked Like Lincoln, young Benjy looks a LOT like the late president, which really gets him down. That is, until his parents send him to Camp What-Cha-Ma-Call-It and he discovers he isn't alone in this world. This is a great story about embracing what makes you special and it is also so funny that you ...more
Heather
A kind of grotesque and funny book about a kid who looks like Lincoln and ends up at a camp with other kids who look like things.
Molly
I picked this up after I read the author's hilarious column for the Soapbox section of the March 24th, 2008 Publisher's Weekly. (check that out!)

The book is about an 8 year old who bears a striking resemblance to Honest Abe. He never fits in, until he finds a little confidence booster in Camp Whatchamacallit, the summer camp for kids who look like things. It was really pretty funny, and also morally uplifting (ya know, self confidence, acceptance, and stuff). But, I think this is a picture book
Linda
Feb 06, 2013 Linda rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommended to Linda by: donated books to UU (Ann Corfman)
David Catrow was the political cartoonist for the paper I used to write for. I've always admired him and his work, both as a political cartoonist and as an illustrator for children's books. This came across the desk at work and I had to stop and read it immediately. It does not disappoint. Although the title really tells the story, the illustrations are the highlight of the book - even with the unforseen ending. Recapture your second or third childhood and pick this up for a good chuckle.
Snorkle
I just did not find this book funny. And I wasn't impressed with David Catrow's illustrations, I found most of them bulbous and unpleasant. This story was also incredibly unrealistic, which would have been fine if it had been able to pull it off - but it didn't. I would steer clear of this book because it is not worth your time.

*Taken from my book reviews blog: http://reviewsatmse.blogspot.com/2010...
Samantha Friedman
This book is hilarious. The wonderful caricatures by David Catrow add to the humor of this picture book.
Wendy Jones
What a cute story! This is a book about a little boy that looks just like Abraham Lincoln. He is upset about this because of the different treatment he receives. But, this summer he goes to camp and is with other children who look like things. He realizes what makes him special. It is a great story to read to children, especially if they have ever felt a little different from others.
Cailey
David Catrow is an excellent children's illustrator. His exaggerated caricatures are engaging and funny. Poor Benjy is only 8 years and and a dead ringer for Abraham Lincoln. He learns to deal with his odd resemblance and uses this knowledge to win himself a class election. A great life lesson about accepting who you are.
Rebecca
Nov 23, 2009 Rebecca rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: K and up
Shelves: picture-books
The concept is bizarre and hilarious -- when you are a kid who looks like Lincoln, that's all you get teased about, and you find no peace until your parents take you to the camp for "kids who look like things." Maybe Lincoln's not a bad person to look like after all!

Great visual jokes that adults will appreciate as well!
Camille
This is a funny book about, well, about a boy who looked like Lincoln and his adventures in school and summer camp. I highly recommend you read this book as a funny departure from any serious Lincoln learning. Your child will appreciate the levity! Perfect for younger-elementary schoolers.
Matthew
This was a surprisingly funny book. Maybe I'm a bit childish but this book tickles me. The illustrations are so absurd and the writing has that minimalist humor that allows for interplay between the pictures and the text to advance the story. The story is funny, plain and simple.
Joni
Sep 06, 2010 Joni rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: children who get teased a lot or have low self-esteem.
Reiss has done a fantastic job teaching people that it's okay to be different. What better way to do that than to have people look like the most random objects anyone could imagine! This book is not only a great children's book, but one that adults enjoy just as much.
Randie D. Camp, M.S.
I picked this book up from the library because I am a huge fan of David Catrow's quirky illustrations. I wish I would have just admired the art work and ignored Reiss' story. It is funny but in an offensive inappropriate for children sort of way.
Melinda Miller
Illustrations by: David Cathrow
Published by: Price Stern Sloan, 2003, New York, NY
Summary: One of my favorite children's books I've read so far. Hilarious text and illustration about a young boy who looks just like Abe Lincoln.
Karen
This is a completely silly book about a little boy who looks like Lincoln and is taunted because of it. The book is highly absurd and, therefore, funny. The message of the book is good -- be proud of who you are no matter how you look.
Monica
Funny, but what do expect of a writer for the Simpson's? I love David Catrow as an illustrator. Nice message about accepting yourself as you are.
Sandybear76
not really into the silly books about Lincoln. Kids will like it and people who like the Simpsons will too.

Haim
Very cute. It is quite an usual problem. I liked the illustrations and how the parents found a camp for individuals like Benjy.
Tara
One of my favorite picture books! I read this to my class every year when we talk about Abraham Lincoln. HILARIOUS!
Keeko
Funny, funny book, and the author and the illustrator slip in the moral of the story while they've got you smiling.
Amy
this was so cute and the ending had a wonderful message for kids not to mention a small history lesson.
Magda
I guess your face is one thing
that makes you special
I hope you like yours.
I know I like mine…
Rebecca
I love the pictures of the kids at the "camp for kids who look like things." So funny!
Patrick
This is actually one of my favorite books.
  • Plantzilla
  • Our Tree Named Steve
  • Once Upon a Royal Superbaby
  • Halloween
  • Red Ranger Came Calling
  • More Parts (Parts, #2)
  • Danger Goes Berserk (Brixton Brothers, #4)
  • We the Kids
  • 11 Experiments That Failed
  • Always In Trouble
  • My School's a Zoo!
  • Shooting at the Stars
  • Hip and Hop, Don't Stop!
  • Salt in His Shoes: Michael Jordan in Pursuit of a Dream
  • My Mom Is Trying to Ruin My Life
  • Scaredy Squirrel at the Beach (Scaredy Squirrel)
  • The Wolf's Chicken Stew
  • Once Upon a Time, the End (Asleep in 60 Seconds)
The Boy Who Wouldn't Share Merry Un-Christmas How Murray Saved Christmas Santa Claustrophobia (Picture Puffin Books) Late for School