Start by marking “Passenger to Frankfurt” as Want to Read:
Passenger to Frankfurt

Passenger to Frankfurt

3.03  ·  Rating Details ·  5,646 Ratings  ·  421 Reviews
Agatha Christie is more than the most popular mystery writer of all time. In a career that spans over half a century, her name is synonymous with brilliant deception, ingenious puzzles, and the surprise denouement. By virtually inventing the modern mystery novel she has earned her title as the Queen of Crime. Curious? Then you're invited to read...

Passenger To Frankfurt

It
Published January 20th 2003 by Minotaur Books (first published September 1970)

To ask other readers questions about Passenger to Frankfurt, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Passenger to Frankfurt

Peter
Oct 09, 2011 Peter rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
"I hate to say it, but this was terrible. Dear Agatha was really losing it. Laughably, this is subtitled ""an Extraganza"", but it's more like a disaster.

Passenger is one of her thrillers, although the word hardly applies. Set in 1970, it starts out promisingly with unambitious diplomat Sir Stafford Nye accepting a daring proposal from the beautiful and enigmatic Countess Renata in the Frankfort airport. The next 100 pages are engaging as he tries to track down this woman, avoids some near death
BrokenTune
Jun 26, 2016 BrokenTune rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
You can create a third world now, or so everyone thinks, but the third world will have the same people in it as the first world or the second world or whatever names you like to call things. And when you have the same human beings running things, they’ll run them the same way. You’ve only got to look at history.’ ‘Does anybody care to look at history nowadays?’

The thing is, I actually enjoyed the first half of the book.....then it became more and more convoluted and bizarre.

Ok, a bit more detai
Anushka
Also find this review on - Don't Stop Readin'

What in the world was this! I disliked this book from the very first page itself.
I'm no one to question Agatha Christie but this book was totally ridiculous. It was supposed be to espionage but was reduced to an utter pile of fail. I really, really don't want to disrespect the Queen of Crime but Passenger to Frankfurt was boring, and along with being pointless it was also plotless.

It started off with a diplomat being asked to lend his identity to a w
Colleen
Aug 30, 2010 Colleen rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: whodunnit
Weird, weird, weird. You could tell based on the preface and the strange pleading to the reader that this COULD all happen and that Christie had stewed long and hard on this, but really it was her way outside her element. The book is like an old woman's paranoid treatise, so guess mildly interesting just for that odd window to Christie's view of 1970.

I kind of skipped thru the Benvo part, because it didn't really make sense and was a terrible idea. Then the revelation of Juanita (who I actually
sanny
May 18, 2012 sanny rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Dame Agatha, like her alter-ego Ariadne Oliver with apples, might've chewed on too many plot lines and misplaced some of the half-baked ones here.

Apples everywhere

This novel started out with fun intrigue and Stafford Nye, a mischievous court jester of sorts in Britain's political circle, seemed like an interesting character.

Too bad he had to get himself involved with espionage and revolutions et al, all because of one boring character. The way this Mary-Ann spy girl was written is still reminis
Moonlight Reader
No Stars.

I was going to write a thoughtful review about how some of the elements of this book resonated in an era of Trumpism. Things got a little shaky early on, but I struggled forward. And then, on page 159, it became entirely insane, at which point I simply couldn't do it any more.

This is among the worst books I have ever read. I cannot even begin to imagine why Christie thought this was a good idea. If Atlas Shrugged and Mein Kampf sexually assaulted The Big Four in the darkest corners of
Narrelle
Dec 27, 2011 Narrelle rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller
Christie attempts a James Bond style story, complete with outré villains and globe trotting protagonists. It's almost spec fic with its near-future revolutions and social engineering.

Sadly, it's overblown, vague waffle predicated on a premise of OMG YOUNG PEOPLE! and I BLAME NAZIS!! Most characters speak in almost the same voice, though Aunt Matilda and Stafford Nye manage to rise above the general mess. The villains may be outré but that's no substitute for actual characterisation.

Only a few
Leslie
I feel sad giving only 1 star to an Agatha Christie novel, as I have found almost every other book I've read of hers really intriguing. Passenger to Frankfurt is definitely of a different genre than the rest of her novels. It is more a book about politics and social commentary than the typical whodunnit that she is known for. I really couldn't get into the plot, nor could I even understand what was going on half the time because the story seemed to jump around a lot and lose focus. The only reas ...more
Laurel Young
Texbritreader
Aug 18, 2011 Texbritreader rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mysteries
A Cold War spy thriller/mystery from Agatha Christie and a perfect example of the author at her worst. After a far fetched but decent opening gambit, the first part of the novel descends to a catalog of the trouble with "young people" circa 1970, and a lot of improbable conspiracy theories about what was behind then current political and social movements. Christie was clearly at odds with the values and ideas of the era and it infects her book with a strange, paranoid flavor that seems very funn ...more
Abhishek
Sep 07, 2012 Abhishek rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller
By the time I finished the book I was astonished by the turn of events. This was the first novel by Mrs. Christie that hasn't gone well with me. And I think for that Mrs. Christie herself is to be blamed entirely. Firstly for choosing espionage as the center theme for this book. And secondly for writing this book.

Well if anything, one thing is assured and that's espionage is not Mrs. Christie forte. As much as I appreciate Mrs. Christie's work, this book fails to impress at all.

This book begins
Kim Kaso
Disappointing, preachy...she sounds like a grouchy scared old person. Also, an attempt at a spy novel which falls flat. Nothing is developed properly, characters are one-dimensional. If it did not have her name on it, I would not believe she wrote it. It was short, but felt longer. 2.5 rounded to 3 stars because she is Agatha Christie. Usually her books are treats, this one made me irritated and, ultimately, very sad.
Elizabeth Tangora
Jul 27, 2009 Elizabeth Tangora rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Super, super weird, even for a Christie novel. For one: no mystery, just a bizarrely convoluted story of international 70s-style intrigue involving a well-born British guy who likes wearing capes, a nefarious plot to get students to overthrow all governments, Wagner's Ring symbolism, an evil Nazi blonde hunk, and (spoiler!) Hitler living a secret life in Argentina where I guess nobody recognizes him in even one instance over the course of 30 years. Oh, and a wedding at the end! (I won't say who, ...more
Ivana Azap Feješ
OK, it was good as a concept, but... maybe I am dumb, but I did not quite get the end game... but that is just me :/
Ms. Smartarse
Nov 02, 2012 Ms. Smartarse rated it it was ok
I love Agatha Christie's mysteries. They generally glue me to the book, until I've finished reading then. Not this one, though it had its moments.

The gist of it: Stafford Nye an excentric and "failed" diplomat, decides to save a woman's life. During a delayed flight in Franfurt, he meets a mysterious woman, who asks him to let her take his identity. He agrees, and they fabricate a story of how he lost his passport, and drank drugged beer.
Obviously, the entire government is up in arms about it, t
Panda Incognito
If I had read the Goodreads reviews of this book, I would never have read it, but I had it from the library and had already begun it when I realized how over-the-top, unrealistic, underdeveloped, and odd this book would be. Because I am a stickler for finishing books, and because I hoped that this one would improve, I read the rest, but it was unsatisfying. The book was boring, and the political intrigue plot was inadequately explained for something portrayed as so enormous. Because it was shown ...more
Phayvanh
Jun 23, 2009 Phayvanh rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This is the reason Madame Christie isn't known for her political intrigue novels. There is no suspense here. But not because she has no plot. But because she has no idea how international spies talk or act or think. Their conversations do not amount to anything. For this reason alone, the book sucks.

I got half way through before I realized that Christie was figuring out the story on the page. None of the original details that support her best works, none of the mind boggling twists and turns th
Grey Wolf
This was a strange book. The first time I read it when I was 17 I was all like "Wow, Agatha Christie has written an alternate history story about NAZIS!" and then I read it again a couple of years ago and all of its flaws shone through.

The plot starts off reasonably simple but soon gets crazily convoluted. The logic of many of the characters' positions is hard to grasp. And the solution decided upon to deal with the emergency is more extreme than the Nazi revivalists are themselves!

One gets the
Christina Baehr
In which Agatha Christie tries to write a John Buchan espionage thriller and fails dismally.

But it's weirdly comforting that a writer as experienced and dependable as Christie had some limits, I guess...
Ahmad Sharabiani
Passenger to Frankfurt, Agatha Christie
عنوان: مسافر فرانکفورت؛ نویسنده: آگاتا کریستی؛ مترجم: بهرام افراسیابی؛ تهران، نشر مهر، 1373؛ در 282 ص؛ چاپ دیگر: تهران، مهرفام، 1390، در 351 ص، شابک: 9789649915203؛ موضوع: داستانهای کارآگاهی و پلیسی از نویسندگان انگلیسی قرن 20 م
Sara
Apr 14, 2012 Sara rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 100-in-2012
So, I am a die-hard Agatha Christie fan. My mom and I started watching the Joan Hickson Miss Marple series when I was a child. I have almost all of the Agatha Christie adaptations that are out on DVD. I have read almost all of her books. Passenger to Frankfurt was one that I had missed. Now I know why.

Christie is a crime queen. There is no denying that. She scripts an amazing who-done-it. She writes charming detectives. She is not, however, a master of the spy novel, which is what this book ost
Harold Griffin
I had never gotten around to actually reading Dame Agatha, but this winter read a pleasing collection of Poirot mysteries. I then happened upon a paperback version of Passenger to Frankfurt in a corner of the attic, and, with no preconceived ideas about the book, I settled in for a mid-winter's read.

Clearly it was NOT a good read, but a disappointing one. I got past the page where Lobstergirl abandoned ship only because of my stubborn unwillingness not to finish what I start.

In truth, the beginn
Jessie
Feb 03, 2012 Jessie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: rabid Agatha Christie fans
Warning! Mild Spoilers!

An insouciant and debonair young diplomat, a beautiful girl in danger, Cold War espionage still raging amidst the turmoil of student unrest, economic volatility and political instability - and that's just chapter one. Throw in a world-wide conspiracy of anarchist youth, a mysterious cabal of business leaders, Adolph Hitler, and a miracle drug and you have "Passenger to Frankfurt."

At first I thought "This is rather dated and not standing up well to the test of time." Then I
Jean
Aug 30, 2011 Jean rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Jean by: I had it in my collection.
This book by Agatha Christie was different from the murder mysteries. It was written in 1970 and reminded me of Buchan's "Thirty-nine Steps", in that it was an adventure story where the aims of the people involved were unclear to me, and therefore fairly meaningless. The best part of the book was the quotation by Jan Smuts preceding the story: "Leadership, besides being a great creative force, can be diabolical..." I thought that this quotation could be applied to quite a few diabolical leaders, ...more
Mailee
Sep 25, 2013 Mailee rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
This is more a spy thriller than a mystery. It took me right up to the end to decide I actually knew what was going on. I really liked the main character and enjoyed his relationship with the mysterious Mary Ann. Most of the book occurs as discussions in meetings, so there isn't a lot of action between the first couple chapters and the final one, however I had to know how it ended and I was really engaged in trying to decipher the signifigance of all the conversations.

Ms. Christie provides some
Heidi
Aug 23, 2014 Heidi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book. I am not sure why so many people gave this a bad review. I suppose if you are expecting to read a typical Poirot or Miss Marple mystery you will not find it here. It is however her version of a modern spy thriller or James Bond style novel. It also seems to be Christie's version or ideas on the "modern world" post WWII.
"...it's the new heaven and the new earth.That's what's been promised by leaders for thousands of years. Promised by religions, promised by those who s
Telisha