Start by marking “Born for Liberty: A History of Women in America (Free Press)” as Want to Read:
Born for Liberty: A History of Women in America (Free Press)

Born for Liberty: A History of Women in America (Free Press)

3.66 of 5 stars 3.66  ·  rating details  ·  178 ratings  ·  15 reviews
The most concise and comprehensive one-volume history of American women--from the indigenous women of the 16th-century wilderness to the dual-role career women and mothers of contemporary times--this book brings American womanhood to center stage, exploring the lives of pioneers and slaves, immigrants and factory workers, executives and homemakers. of photos.
Published August 22nd 1997 by Simon & Schuster (first published May 1st 1989)

To ask other readers questions about Born for Liberty, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Born for Liberty

Evans sets out with the ambitious aim to cover the breadth of women's history in the United States and generally succeeds.

I am by no means an expert on women's studies, so I consider myself part of the intended audience for this book. As such, I have to say that I learned a lot (especially about women in the earliest years of our country) and also benefited from being able to put important events in women's history in chronological order and understand better how previous movements helped to bui...more
Jennifer Donahue
A concise overview of the history of women in America that is easy to read and well documented. Evans touches nicely upon the major aspects and concerns facing women stretching from the 16th century to the late 1990's. I learned a fair amount, but found the perspective presented somewhat biased and lacking objectivity in presenting all sides of the story of women in America.

Men are pretty well stereotyped during the discussion of suffrage, and the anti-suffrage movement does not reference many...more
Myrivername
I'm interested in this book's topic, a history of women and women's rights in America. But while it's a good idea and I did learn a lot, the book is really poorly executed. It's not very well organized and the writing is awful. Here's an example of the verbose, vague, slightly confusing kind of writing used throughout: "Yet the blandness of the firties' domestic ideology and cold war conformity masked new signs of discontent and change. Although most women expereince problems as individuals, col...more
Megan
A decent introductory work to women's social and political history in the U.S. Was considering using it for a session on the early women's rights movement for a study group I'm helping to lead, but decided to go with other texts that were richer in detail.
Krista
This was a goodie, but seemed to lose steam once it reached the 50's (or maybe I became less interested). I really enjoyed the older histories and personal accounts.
Marzee
Great book. Loved reading America's history through women. If you enjoy history, you should really pick this up. Talk about a whole new perspective!
Sue
Mar 19, 2008 Sue rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone interested in US women's history
Shelves: history
I originally read the older edition, and have assigned the new edition as a text for a class. This is a well written overview to U.S. women's history.
Kathy Nadeau
A powerful read.This book is a varied and expansive view of the profound role women have played in the history of creating America.
Simone
I read this book as a graduate student so very long ago. It opened my eyes to a new way of looking at history.
Denice Fraser
It's a bit dry, but FULL of great stuff. I read this in a Women's History class and am standing up a bit taller now!
Jim Swike
A great read about Women's history in this country.
Julie
Dec 30, 2007 Julie added it
Still have this book from my college fem. class.
Lauren
A Cheerleading tale of the bougies
Cor
Very helpful for my course.
Natty
Sep 14, 2007 Natty added it
liberal
Valorie Maes
Valorie Maes marked it as to-read
Oct 14, 2014
James
James added it
Oct 11, 2014
Carlotta
Carlotta marked it as to-read
Oct 04, 2014
Cheryl
Cheryl added it
Sep 26, 2014
Kaycie
Kaycie is currently reading it
Sep 22, 2014
Melanie
Melanie is currently reading it
Sep 17, 2014
Melanie
Melanie marked it as to-read
Sep 13, 2014
Bookspell
Bookspell is currently reading it
Sep 09, 2014
Melissa Kuznia
Melissa Kuznia marked it as to-read
Aug 28, 2014
Sarah added it
Aug 26, 2014
  • Liberty's Daughters: The Revolutionary Experience of American Women, 1750 1800
  • The World Split Open: How the Modern Women's Movement Changed America
  • Homeward Bound: American Families In The Cold War Era
  • Intimate Matters: A History of Sexuality in America
  • Manliness and Civilization: A Cultural History of Gender and Race in the United States, 1880-1917
  • To 'Joy My Freedom: Southern Black Women's Lives and Labors After the Civil War
  • No Turning Back: The History of Feminism and the Future of Women
  • Cheap Amusements: Working Women and Leisure in Turn-of-the-Century New York
  • Where the Cherry Tree Grew: The Story of Ferry Farm, George Washington's Boyhood Home
  • Revolutionary Mothers: Women in the Struggle for America's Independence
  • When and Where I Enter: The Impact of Black Women on Race and Sex in America
  • City of Women: Sex and Class in New York, 1789-1860
  • Ella Baker and the Black Freedom Movement: A Radical Democratic Vision
  • Harriet Tubman: The Moses of Her People
  • Defiant Brides: The Untold Story of Two Revolutionary-Era Women and the Radical Men They Married
  • Fight Like a Girl: How to Be a Fearless Feminist
  • Signing Their Rights Away
  • From Front Porch to Back Seat: Courtship in Twentieth-Century America
Sara M. Evans is a distinguished scholar and Professor Emeritus of History at the University of Minnesota where she taught women's history since 1976. She lives in St. Paul, Minnesota.
More about Sara M. Evans...
Personal Politics: The Roots of Women's Liberation in the Civil Rights Movement & the New Left Tidal Wave: How Women Changed America at Century's End Free Spaces: The Sources of Democratic Change in America Journeys that Opened up the World: Women, Student Christian Movements, and Social Justice, 1955-1975 Wage Justice: Comparable Worth and the Paradox of Technocratic Reform