Start by marking “Born for Liberty: A History of Women in America (Free Press)” as Want to Read:
Born for Liberty: A History of Women in America (Free Press)

Born for Liberty: A History of Women in America (Free Press)

The most concise and comprehensive one-volume history of American women—from the indigenous women of the 16th-century wilderness to the dual-role career women and mothers of contemporary times—this book brings American womanhood to center stage, exploring the lives of pioneers and slaves, immigrants and factory workers, executives and homemakers.
Published August 22nd 1997 by Simon & Schuster (first published May 1st 1989)

To ask other readers questions about Born for Liberty, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Born for Liberty

Angela Boland
Summary: Women are awesome, have been so since before the United States was the United States, and will continue to be so in the future.

While not the most exciting book I’ve ever read, I have to say that I think I hit gold with this one. I picked it up at a Half Price Books clearance sale, or maybe it was a library book sale? I don’t remember, but no matter what, I am sure that I payed $2 or less for it. Definitely worth it. It read like a history book that was all about women, ONLY about women
May 31, 2011 Sarah rated it really liked it
Evans sets out with the ambitious aim to cover the breadth of women's history in the United States and generally succeeds.

I am by no means an expert on women's studies, so I consider myself part of the intended audience for this book. As such, I have to say that I learned a lot (especially about women in the earliest years of our country) and also benefited from being able to put important events in women's history in chronological order and understand better how previous movements helped to bui
Jennifer Donahue
Nov 03, 2007 Jennifer Donahue rated it liked it
A concise overview of the history of women in America that is easy to read and well documented. Evans touches nicely upon the major aspects and concerns facing women stretching from the 16th century to the late 1990's. I learned a fair amount, but found the perspective presented somewhat biased and lacking objectivity in presenting all sides of the story of women in America.

Men are pretty well stereotyped during the discussion of suffrage, and the anti-suffrage movement does not reference many
Myrivername
Sep 01, 2008 Myrivername rated it it was ok
I'm interested in this book's topic, a history of women and women's rights in America. But while it's a good idea and I did learn a lot, the book is really poorly executed. It's not very well organized and the writing is awful. Here's an example of the verbose, vague, slightly confusing kind of writing used throughout: "Yet the blandness of the firties' domestic ideology and cold war conformity masked new signs of discontent and change. Although most women expereince problems as individuals, col ...more
Megan
A decent introductory work to women's social and political history in the U.S. Was considering using it for a session on the early women's rights movement for a study group I'm helping to lead, but decided to go with other texts that were richer in detail.
Cor
Jul 22, 2012 Cor rated it liked it
Very helpful for my course.
Simone
Mar 06, 2010 Simone rated it liked it
I read this book as a graduate student so very long ago. It opened my eyes to a new way of looking at history.
Kathy Nadeau
Apr 16, 2009 Kathy Nadeau rated it it was amazing
A powerful read.This book is a varied and expansive view of the profound role women have played in the history of creating America.
Lauren
May 01, 2015 Lauren rated it really liked it
Shelves: z-misc-genres
I have a new appreciation for women in American history
Amalauna Brock
Mar 29, 2015 Amalauna Brock rated it liked it
Evans work is a wonderful overview of America women's history. It's an excellent primer for all readers.
Denice Fraser
Apr 22, 2009 Denice Fraser rated it really liked it
It's a bit dry, but FULL of great stuff. I read this in a Women's History class and am standing up a bit taller now!
Brittany Borowski
Aug 24, 2016 Brittany Borowski rated it really liked it
The most concise and broad sweeping history of America I have ever read through a woman's eyes. Includes many minority stories as well
Krista
Feb 09, 2009 Krista rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a goodie, but seemed to lose steam once it reached the 50's (or maybe I became less interested). I really enjoyed the older histories and personal accounts.
Marzee
Jan 12, 2010 Marzee rated it it was amazing
Great book. Loved reading America's history through women. If you enjoy history, you should really pick this up. Talk about a whole new perspective!
Sue
Mar 19, 2008 Sue rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: anyone interested in US women's history
Shelves: history
I originally read the older edition, and have assigned the new edition as a text for a class. This is a well written overview to U.S. women's history.
Julie
Dec 30, 2007 Julie added it
Still have this book from my college fem. class.
Natty
Sep 14, 2007 Natty added it
liberal
Kay
Kay rated it it was amazing
Jul 02, 2007
Megan
Megan rated it liked it
Jul 02, 2012
Kelly
Kelly rated it really liked it
Jan 15, 2014
Becky Williams
Becky Williams rated it really liked it
Aug 10, 2014
Erin
Erin rated it really liked it
Jul 03, 2013
Kate
Kate rated it really liked it
Apr 24, 2015
Alexis Coe
Alexis Coe rated it really liked it
Mar 03, 2008
Daithí
Daithí rated it liked it
Dec 22, 2015
Lila
Lila rated it liked it
Jun 02, 2014
Michelle Walker
Michelle Walker rated it really liked it
Dec 09, 2012
Angie
Angie rated it liked it
Mar 10, 2013
Simona
Simona rated it liked it
Oct 05, 2011
Marci
Marci rated it really liked it
Jan 07, 2010
  • The Bonds of Womanhood: "Woman's Sphere" in New England, 1780-1835
  • Women's America: Refocusing the Past
  • Masquerade: The Life and Times of Deborah Sampson, Continental Soldier
  • The World Split Open: How the Modern Women's Movement Changed America
  • Liberty's Daughters: The Revolutionary Experience of American Women, 1750-1800
  • Intimate Matters: A History of Sexuality in America
  • Homeward Bound: American Families In The Cold War Era
  • Tutankhamen: Life and Death of a Pharaoh
  • The Smithsonian Book of Presidential Trivia
  • Touching America's History: From the Pequot War Through WWII
  • Where the Cherry Tree Grew: The Story of Ferry Farm, George Washington’s Boyhood Home
  • Revolutionary Mothers: Women in the Struggle for America's Independence
  • What Comes Naturally: Miscegenation Law and the Making of Race in America
  • Fighting for American Manhood: How Gender Politics Provoked the Spanish-American and Philippine-American Wars
  • Unequal Sisters: A Multicultural Reader in U. S. Women's History
  • Cheap Amusements: Working Women and Leisure in Turn-of-the-Century New York
  • Gender, Race, and Class in Media: A Text-Reader
  • Manliness and Civilization: A Cultural History of Gender and Race in the United States, 1880-1917
Sara M. Evans is a distinguished scholar and Professor Emeritus of History at the University of Minnesota where she taught women's history since 1976. She lives in St. Paul, Minnesota.
More about Sara M. Evans...