Dr. Spock's Baby and Child Care: 9th Edition

Dr. Spock's Baby and Child Care: 9th Edition

3.66 of 5 stars 3.66  ·  rating details  ·  1,131 ratings  ·  118 reviews
The most trusted childcare book for generations, this newly updated edition is still the most comprehensive, authoritative, and reassuring go-to reference for parents of children from birth through adolescence.

For sixty-five years, parents have relied on the expert advice of renowned pediatrician Dr. Benjamin Spock. But while children never change, issues and concerns do....more
Published January 24th 2012 by Gallery Books (first published July 14th 1946)

Annette
Another book I am reading for the book I am writing. One of my favorite outtakes thus far from this book updated in 1962:
"[A father:] might make the formula on Sunday. If the baby is on a 2 A.M. bottle in the early weeks, when the mother is still pretty tired, this is a good feeding for the father to take over. It's nice for him, if he can, to go along to the doctor's office for the baby's regular visits. It gives him a chance to bring up those questions that are bothering him and that he doesn'...more
Susan Baranoff
Mar 25, 2009 Susan Baranoff rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Susan by: parents-to-be and parents of kids under the age of 12
Probably the most important book in my library for the first 10 years of my kids' lives. It was the book to turn to when they had spots or fevers or just would not go to sleep.... Dr. Spock always gave common sense advice. The reference guide to symptoms in the back was invaluable more than once in answering the huge question every new parent has -- it is 2:00 in the morning - "should I call the doctor for this, or can it wait until morning?"
Mike Smith
This is a wonderful book for ALL parents to read. Actually, it's a wonderful book for ANYONE to read, even children. It discusses human development in a way that is useful for those who are guiding a child's development and those interested in their own development - which should be everyone. Most importantly the book is written to educate and encourage, rather than to preach and frighten. It helps the parent approach every situation with the basic knowledge needed. It also gives great resources...more
Ellee
This is a book that I read the sections I need when I want to know, rather than reading cover to cover. Unlike some guides, it's arranged topically rather than by age, so skipping around is really a necessity. It gives some great advice and gives a lot of the "whys" of childcare - why shouldn't you save the extra food from the baby jar? Body fluids are sterile to the body they came out of... so what if saliva gets into the rest of the food? Turns out that (here's a reminder from 4th grade scienc...more
Alyce Rocco
My mother gave all her daughters, daughter-in-laws, many nieces, then started with granddaughters as they made her a great-grandma, a copy of Dr. Spock's Baby and Childcare. My copy was a much earlier edition than this one.

I referred back to the book many times as my babies matured into toddlers, and so on. I say it was okay, because I never read it cover to cover ~ it got boring.

Many of my peers felt intimidated by the book's advice, fearing they would do something wrong. I do not recall exact...more
Except we're reading the 1954 edition. The "in place of a crib, you can place your baby in a bureau drawer or a clothes basket" edition. His take on post-partum depression is pretty good, too. Honestly, it is. Gotta love it. Mostly reading it for fun and because Mom gave it to me. Worked for her. I don't think any of us turned out that horribly. Can't find the chapter where he says it's ok to put netting on top of a play pen (poor Edie!), but I"m sure it's in there.
Brandon O'Neill
We've read though the chapters on pregnancy. Now I guess it is almost time for the infant section. Yikes!!
Kelly
Excellent Resource for quick infant/child health info.
Annelisa
This book has entered our cultural legacy as one of the most important ones published within the last century. I've been able to appreciate it for that fact, but it hasn't stopped my overall disillusionment with the book and its premise. Part of it may stem from the fact that the book is constantly being updated. (I much prefer the older, original versions, even if solely for its value as an historical document rather than a must-have for parenting advice). Naturally I understand why, as the wo...more
Marvin
Oct 11, 2013 Marvin marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I never read this book and don't plan to because I don't like books about baby and child care. But I want to warn you people that Dr. Benjamin Spock was a really nice guy. I met him in 1970 during a anti-war rally. He was very approachable and loved to chat. I found out that his proudest moment was not when he wrote his book and it became a huge bestseller but when he won a gold medal in the Olympics in 1924. (that is a fact!) He swore a little when he talked about President Johnson (He called h...more
Leah
terrifying. could not finish.

This passage: "Even when feelings during pregnancy are primarily positive, there may be a letdown when the baby actually arrives. Parents may expect to recognize the baby immediately as their own flesh and blood, to respond with an overwhelming rush of maternal and paternal feelings, and to bond like epoxy. But in many cases, this doesn't happen on the first day or even in the first week. Completely normal negative feelings often pop up. A good and loving parent may...more
Sophoula
my mother read this when my brother was born, and i assume she read it when i was born, too. as far as i can tell, i grew up in tip-top shape, so i think i have dr. spock to thank for that, (THANK YOU FOR KEEPING ME ALIVE), since mothers, understandably, cannot even begin to comprehend the 24,243,259,964,395 needs of babies. truthfully, i still have that well-worn copy my mother toted around when my brother was little, and sometimes i like to look at it and reconcile its message with the feminis...more
Intended as a resource for parents who have children of all ages, I would only this book as a supplement to a more detailed book. Spock's aim is for breadth, not depth. Although what it written seems sound ( I highlighted and dog-eared relevant pages), I stopped about 20% in, since I only have a two year old and am expecting our second child. This book contains up to date information and resources, but by the time I will need to use the adolescent section, this book will be outdated. Still, I ma...more
Max Ostrovsky
So with a daughter on the way, I've found myself reading rearing books. I'm getting great information, but only made it as far as the twos.

Where are the dragons? Ninja assassins? Robots and their laws?

There wasn't even one chapter on where in the nursery is best for katana placement. Seriously. I have no idea where to put my swords. Spock was no help for that.

It's funny saying (or rather thinking) that. Usually, most Vulcans are good in a pinch.

I think that joke is too old, but that's the mo...more
Gingeraltoids
I'm currently reading the 40th edition of this classic book. Of course, some of the information is dated, such as how to prepare bottles, but so far Dr. Spock's general philosophy on child rearing seems reasonable. Interestingly, my parents used this book when I was a baby; hopefully that's not where they got some of their funny ideas! I guess I'll find out as I read more.

I quit reading this as it was so dated. I found the Sears books to be more up-to-date and relevant to my parenting approach.
TailFeather
My mother in law gave this to us when I was pregnant. She meant well, but I could only slog through a couple of chapters before I gave up in disgust. This was the 80's, not the 50's.

I can't remember exactly what I read, but it took him a long time to get to the point. Which, after awhile seemed like he was grasping at supposition a lot of the time. I do remember thinking, "Oh give me a break!" more than once. I'm glad we were smart enough not to take this book seriously.
Lisa James
This book is full of advice to new parents & parents of young children from an expert in the field. I read it too, many years ago, but later discovered that babies don't come with instruction manuals, & that following a book to raise my children was just dumb.

Little asked question: How did Spock become such an expert on children when he was never a father? Hmmm...To me that contradicts ANY believability & credibility he is supposed to have.
Asho
My favorite thing about this book is its matter-of-fact tone. It isn't alarmist as so many baby and child care manuals are. It doesn't lay out a step-by-step plan or push a particular philosophy, so this isn't the book to read if you're looking for, say, a detailed guide on feeding solids or sleep training. However, it's a very good overview of all things child rearing, and it has a large reference section for further info on a variety of topics.
Jenny
Sound, practical advice, particularly on medical issues. (It's a bit light on developmental/emotional issues.) It should be noted that Dr. Spock did not actually author this edition of the book, though he is quoted liberally throughout it.

This book does contain what were when I read them my favorite twenty words in the English language: "An occasional glass or two of wine or beer for a breastfeeding mother will do no harm to her baby."
Kim
I love Dr. Spock so much. This is where I learned how to take care of my daughter.

This book made me think seriously about why I wanted to be a mother, what I wanted having a child to mean. I hadn't really thought beyond having a darling little baby to love and care for. I realized that what I wanted more than anything else was to teach her my beliefs so that she would be a strong Christian and have a good, happy, productive life.
Jessica
I still think this is the best baby and child care book out there. The Spock authoritative parenting approach is loving and sensible, and the health and medical advice is easy to find, clear and succint. I can't tell how often I have turned to this book and found the answer I need, easily indexed, to one after another childhood injury, illness, or behavior conundrum. And advice on issues of sexuality, food, and learning is truly progressive.
Chastity Williams
A great read. Very informative. A wonderful resource for parents, teachers and anyone who works with kids!
Vijay Swamidoss
Amazing one when you become a parent.
Aynge
I don't have any children, but I have a gang of nieces and nephews, plus I've babysat a lot of tykes. I found an early edition of this book at a tag sale for a quarter and couldn't resist. If this was required reading in school, the world would be a much better place. Not only is it jam-packed with information on everything about babies and children, but it's written in an engaging, down-to-earth style.
Julie
This is a good overall book on raising a child that has a good amount of reasonable advice and it is written in an easy to read way. The thing I like about it is that it is not alarmist, it is written like advice from a kindly doctor. It doesn't make you feel like a bad parent or like anything you do is going to kill your kid. It's probably my favorite "how to raise a child" sort of book that I've read.
Kristin
This book is over 1000 pages, so I definitely read parts and skimmed most of it trying to take in what I felt like most applied to having a new baby or things that have to do with raising kids my kids' ages. I think it is more of a resource guide with a good index in the back to refer to certain sections at times. Overall, I did not glean anything too new or insightful.
Minerva
Una completa revisión sobre aspectos generales y específicos de la crianza y el cuidado de los niños y los bebés. Claro, sencillo y justo al hueso de las cosas q los nuevos padres nos podemos preguntar (sobre desarrollo, enfermedades, disciplina, entrega de valores y más).
Me gustó!
Papis nuevos a por él!
papis viejos... tb! pk siempre se puede aprender algo más ;)
Eric
This book is a very valuable addition to any library. It covers just about any kid-related topic you can think of. My biggest complaint is the size of the book. For a reference type book with so many pages it would be much easier if the book were larger. The standard paperback size is much too small for a book like this in my opinion.
Luckngrace
EVERY parent should read Dr. Spock's latest edition. It tells you how to cope with each and every thing concerning babies and older children, too. Read the book in small bites and read it BEFORE the baby is born so you won't be so overwhelmed when baby comes home. It helped me in 1970, 1979 and 1982. Good luck to your family, too.
Kate
Found this at my mother-in-law's house. It's the 7th edition, updated in 1998. Interesting. Lots of things I like, some I don't. Was he really saying this stuff in 1945? (No spanking. Validate children's negative feelings, etc.)Would love to get a copy of the 1945 edition to see what's changed.
MY MOM'S MEDICAL BIBLE!! 1 8 Oct 06, 2007 10:45PM
  • Your Baby and Child: From Birth to Age Five (Revised Edition)
  • Caring for Your Baby and Young Child: Birth to Age 5
  • Baby Bargains: Secrets to Saving 20% to 50% on Baby Furinture, Equipment, Clothes, Toys, Maternity Wear and Much, Much More!
  • Heading Home with Your Newborn: From Birth to Reality
  • Solve Your Child's Sleep Problems
  • Touchpoints: Birth to 3 : Your Child's Emotional and Behavioral Development
  • The Baby Book: Everything You Need to Know About Your Baby from Birth to Age Two
  • A Child is Born
  • The Baby Owner's Manual: Operating Instructions, Trouble-Shooting Tips & Advice on First-Year Maintenance
  • What to Expect the Toddler Years
  • Mayo Clinic Guide to a Healthy Pregnancy
  • The Complete Book of Pregnancy and Childbirth (Revised)
  • The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding
  • The Other America: Poverty in the United States
  • Coming of Age in Samoa: A Psychological Study of Primitive Youth for Western Civilisation
  • What Mothers Do: especially when it looks like nothing
  • Child of Mine: Feeding with Love and Good Sense, Revised and Updated Edition
  • The Magic Years: Understanding & Handling the Problems of Early Childhood
Benjamin McLane Spock was an American pediatrician whose book Baby and Child Care, published in 1946, is one of the biggest best-sellers of all time. Its revolutionary message to mothers was that "you know more than you think you do." Spock was the first pediatrician to study psychoanalysis to try to understand children's needs and family dynamics.
More about Benjamin Spock...
Dr. Spock's The First Two Years: The Emotional and Physical Needs of Children from Birth to Age 2 Dr. Spock On Parenting: Sensible Advice From America's Most Trusted Child Care Expert Spock on Spock Dr. Spock Talks with Mothers: Growth and Guidance تربية الأبناء فى الزمن الصعب

“The children who are appreciated for what they are, even if they are homely, or clumsy, or slow, will grow up with confidences in themselves - happy. They will have a spirit that will make the best of all the capacities that they have, and of all the opportunities that come their way. They will make light of any handicaps.” 11 likes