Start by marking “The Witness for the Prosecution and Other Stories” as Want to Read:

3.96 of 5 stars 3.96  ·  rating details  ·  2,391 ratings  ·  132 reviews
A murder trial takes a diabolical turn when the wife of the accused takes a stand...A woman's sixth--and a loaded revolver--signal premonitions of doom...A stranded motorist seeks refuge in a remote mansion, and is greeted with a dire warning...Detective Hercule Poirot faces his greatest challenge when his services are enlisted--by the victim--in a bizarre locked-room murd
Mass Market Paperback, 288 pages
Published September 17th 2001 by St. Martin's Paperbacks (first published 1948)

Hannah
I just started this, but the first story was great, exactly what I look for in an Agatha Christie book.

Update: I'm finished now, and the rest of the stories were just as great. Definitely one of the best Agatha Christies I've read so far, I think the short story might have been a good form for her.
Ashrakat Deyab
I enjoyed this read so much. It most probably is my favorite collection of mystery short stories to date. Each story was captivating, intriguing, and kept me on the edge of my seat. And almost each one of them ended with a plot twist that made me go:
description

Here's my ratings for the individual stories contained in this book:

The Witness for the Prosecution 5 stars
The Red Signal 3 stars
The Fourth Man 3 stars
S.O.S. 3 stars
Where There’s A Will 5 stars
The Mystery of the Blue Jar 4 stars
Sing A Song of Sixpen
Traneem
مجموعة قصصية ... جميلة ومسلية ومثيرة ! كعادة أجاثا .. تجعل دوما التكهن بالمجرم والنهاية شيئا مستحيلا ..
استمتعت بصحبتها اليومين الماضيين :)
Zainab
مجموعة من القصص القصيرة أعادت أجاثا كريستي صياغتها بعد سنوات في روايات مطولة بشكل أكثر احكاما وامتاعا وكأنها أرادت تسجيل الأفكار ثم عادت بعد ذلك للعمل عليها. تقييمي للقصص ثلاث نجمات أما الرابعة فلتذكيري بمجموعة من رواياتي المفضلة.
Sarah ( Paris )
مجموعة قصص متوسطة الطول ..
تكتبها أغاثا كريستي ..
تراوحت بين الممتازة جدا في حبكتها وفكرتها ..
والمبهرة بتفاصيلها ..
وهناك أيضا بعض القصص متوسطة المستوى ..
أعجبتني كثيرا قصة شاهد الإدعاء ..
Meredith
I've been reading/listening to Christie as much as possible as opportunities come along. I was particularly interesting in this collection for its headliner story, Witness for the Prosecution, which is referenced in one of [J.D. Robb]'s In Death books.

In the In Death book, it is referenced as having been turned into a play, which may be the case, I don't know. However, the play would have definitely expanded on this very short story to flesh out the characters. Because Christie's shorts usually
Noha Srour
احيانا بيكون تقييمي للراوية من حيث نجاحها او فشلها معتمد ع قدرة الكاتب/ة انها تصدمني او تدهشني او ان تكون الرواية لها بعد فلسفي زي مثلا انه يكون فيه نوع من الاسقاط ع الواقع سواءشخيصات او احداث و انه تكون كل شخصية في الرواية رمز لشيئ معين في الواقع ... اذا نجحت الرواية في انها تحقق حاجة من الحاجات دي هيكون تقييمي ليها 4 نجوم بجدارة :) .....
و اجاثا كريستي في الرواية دي فعلا نجحت في انها تصدمني صدمة لم اكن اتخيلها ... مش الحدث هوا الي صدمني قد ما الرواية فعلا صدمتني بالواقع في مرحلة ما من عمري ما ك
♥ Sarah ♥
I am really horrible with short stories and this book taught me that! Because there are 11 short stories in this I didn't find the book as enjoyable as if the stories were full novels. I just couldn't be on one story long enough to REALLY get into it. However, when I look at the stories individually, I really enjoyed most of them, I would have just preferred them not to be short stories so I could get into the characters more. Here's what I thought of each individual story:

1.) The Witness for t
Linette R.S
For the story "The Witness for the Prosecution":
Yay...! We have a innocent-looking guy named Leo Vole who is accused of murdering a woman, Emily French. But there's another guy who doesn't believe he did it, although everybody else does. So he decides to investigate everything (what a bright mind...). The woman's maid says "YES HE KILLED HER, I'M LIKE 100% SURE ABOUT THAT". She also seems to hate that guy, Leo, very much, which is suspicious. And then, there's Leonard's wife. Leo says "I have an
Kristi Richardson
“Curious things, habits. People themselves never knew they had them."

Classic stories from Agatha Christie read to you by Christopher Lee and Hugh Fraser. How could this not be wonderful?

Most people are familiar with the movie "The Witness for the Prosecution" and the original story is just as good if not better than that. Why does this man trust his wife when she seems hell bent on destroying him?

There are 11 short stories in this collection written in the 1930's and 1940's when Ms. Christie w
Andy
I'm primarily a Poirot fan but it's nice to dip into some of Christie's other works. I read this while heading out to see the Mousetrap in London (which I enjoyed despite the abrupt ending and some leaps of knowledge). It's an enjoyable albeit mixed bag.

Compared to the confounded difficulty of working out most Poirot endings/twists, many of these were fairly obvious though there's still a lot of fun to be had regardless. I particularly liked Where there's a Will and the Mystery of the Blue Jar
Brian
I enjoyed this overall. A quick read, with a nice little twist at the end. The bits about habit were nice, too, since we all have them.
Labeba Salameh
مجموعه قصصية فريدة تتعمق في النفس الانسانية والا شعور تتكون من 10 قصص ذات جو من الغموض اقرب للرعب منه الى الجريمة .
Malinda
This was a really quick and enjoyable read. I also recommend watching the movie version with Marlene Dietrich as well.
Carolyn F.
Audiobook. This one contains the short stories.

Not my favorite anthology. Averaged 2.375 stars.

Witness for the Prosecution. I think this is the same audiobook version that I previously listened to. Good. ***1/2

The Blue Jar. I remembered this book so the ending wasn't a surprise at all. ***

The Strange Case of Arthur Carmichael. Very strange, the cat, the drowning. Too far fetched even for me. **

The Last Seance. From looking at other reviews I don't think this was part of other reviewers books, li
Christa
A collection of unrelated short stories, mostly featuring non-recurring characters (although Hercule Poirot stars in one).

The Witness for the Prosecution is definitely one of Christie's best. If you haven't see the old movie, or read the story, you are really missing out! (The 1957 movie is much-expanded from the story, but excellent.) Several other stories are also good, with many dabbling in the "is it or isn't it" spiritualist/thriller stuff that Christie often wrote into her short stories.
Karina
This is a collection of short stories. Enjoyable little read.
Timothy
Agatha Christie
288 pages

This book is a collection of short stories that mystery novelist Agatha Christie wrote. In this book, there are 11 stories that are about cases. In most of these cases, there are abrupt or confusing endings which may disappoint readers because there are times when the short story could be written as a whole book instead. An example of this is the first story of The Witness for the Prosecution. The story is abo
Megan
Overall, I enjoyed this collection of Agatha Christie short mysteries. There is a strong theme throughout these stories that there is an explanation for everything; several of the characters believed in the supernatural, but that belief is always exploited. I did feel like her stories ended abruptly. Rated PG for disturbing elements.

The Witness for the Prosecution: A woman testifies at her husband's murder trial with some unexpected twists.

The Red Signal: A group of people attend a seance and a
Abbey
1948, Eleven stories originally published in magazines in the 1920s and early 1930s, only the last story features Poirot. This collection published in US only, and all the stories are available in other Christie collections.

[date= when first published]:

Contains:

1925 01 The Witness for the Prosecution apa Traitor Hands
— sly little story about an actress, her weak husband, and an old lady with money; smoother and somehow more believable than the movie version, with a nice kicker at the end, which
Laurel Young
Witness for the Prosecution is an uneven collection--it contains seven stories that are fairly forgettable and might rate a mere 2 stars (especially the two involving people being swindled in overly complicated and unlikely ways), but then there are three absolute stunners that pull the rating up for me and make this collection a must-have. The uneven feeling comes about because the stories were written anywhere between 1924 and 1947 but published together in 1948, their only commonality being t ...more
Ariel
I love the short story anthologies. This was the third one I read this summer. Included are the following:

The Witness for the Prosecution is the story from which the title comes from. This is a story where the crime is what it seems but the people are not.

The Fourth Man was a very unusual story, one I had to give a great deal of thought to. It was not one of the regular mysteries with a cut and dried solution at the end. You are asked to suspend your disbelief and consider if souls can switch bo
Gabe
Very interesting and very intriguing collection of mystery stories, with a focus this time more on the paranormal activity related of course with crimes that need solving.

It's a collection of short stories, that will keep you coming back for more and once you start a story, you can hardly let it go until you find the final resolution.

If you still have doubts, just go for it, you won't be sorry, especially if you enjoy her style.
Julie
I love Agatha Christie, and especially her well written short stories.

I thought I had read all of her short stories, but most of these were new to me.

This is a collection of her very early short mystery stories, mostly written in the 1920s, and they are all very good. Only one, the last one which was written in the 1930s, features one of her famous detectives, Poirot. Some deal with the supernatural. All are interesting and well written.
Penny
I always love reading Agatha Christie's short story collections because sometims i'm just not in the mood for a drawn out mystery. It's also more noncommital. I can read a story or two and then put the book down for later. Some may say that the endings are a bit abrupt, but I enjoyed the fact that I was in suspense for roughly 7 pages. I actually really enjoyed the first short story, Witness for the Prosecution, the best. The only reason that I didn't give this 5 stars was because of the last st ...more
Annie
Jan 10, 2011 Annie rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2010
I didn't read all of the stories, since I mainly got the book for "The Witness for the Prosecution." It's an interesting story, questioning truth and law. The lawyer, who needs evidence, is able to find it because he has a conclusion about what has happened, and is therefore easily manipulated.

The other stories were mysteries, but it surprised me how many combined the supernatural and psychology, like they were one and the same. For instance, a woman with multiple personalities strangles herself
S.M.
Idk, the stories were quite lame compared to the usual character weaving seen in Christie books. Probably because it is character development (and not plot strength) that makes a Christie story/novel. Most of the stories were too weird and ill-conceived. she was probably high or something while writing most of them.
Emily Hale
Great collection of short stories. I really enjoyed the ones in this group, great twists and quite a few unexpected turns. Listened to the audiobook which was narrated by Christopher Lee and Hugh Fraser and they were excellent.
Dragon
  • The Adventure of the Yellow Face (The Memoirs of Sherlock Holmes, #2)
  • The Floating Admiral
  • Death Note: Black Edition, Volume 6 (Death Note: Black Edition #6)
  • A Daughter's a Daughter
  • Who Killed Roger Ackroyd?: The Mystery Behind the Agatha Christie Mystery
  • Gambit (Nero Wolfe, #37)
  • Overture to Death (Roderick Alleyn, #8)
  • Second Cadfael Omnibus: St.Peter's Fair/Leper of St.Giles/Virgin in the Ice
  • Agatha Christie
  • They Found Him Dead (Inspector Hannasyde, #3)
  • The Franchise Affair (Inspector Alan Grant, #3)
  • Duchess of Death: The Unauthorized Biography of Agatha Christie
  • Agatha Christie: A Biography
  • Anatomy of a Murder
  • The Mammoth Book of Locked Room Mysteries and Impossible Crimes (Mammoth)

Agatha Mary Clarissa Miller was born in Torquay, Devon, England, U.K., as the youngest of three. The Millers had two other children: Margaret Frary Miller (1879–1950), called Madge, who was eleven years Agatha's senior, and Louis Montant Miller (1880
More about Agatha Christie...
And Then There Were None Murder on the Orient Express (Hercule Poirot, #10) The Mysterious Affair at Styles (Hercule Poirot #1) Murder at the Vicarage (Miss Marple, #1) The Murder of Roger Ackroyd (Hercule Poirot, #4)

“Curious things, habits. People themselves never knew they had them.

[Witness for the Prosecution, also published in The Hound of Death and Other Stories.]”
136 likes