Start by marking “Sparkling Cyanide” as Want to Read:
Sparkling Cyanide

Sparkling Cyanide (Colonel Race #4)

3.83  ·  Rating Details  ·  10,343 Ratings  ·  478 Reviews
It's been less than a year since beautiful heiress Rosemary Barton took her own life during a birthday dinner in her honor. Her husband George never believed that his fun-loving wife would commit suicide--especially now that he's received two anonymous letters that suggest cold-blooded murder. One implicates even George himself. It's true he long suffered Rosemary's infide
Published December 9th 2001 by Minotaur Books (first published February 1945)

To ask other readers questions about Sparkling Cyanide, please sign up.

Quinn That people don't tend to view family members as individuals with the same ideas, hopes, dreams, etc, that they have. For example, when you were…moreThat people don't tend to view family members as individuals with the same ideas, hopes, dreams, etc, that they have. For example, when you were young, if you saw your grade school teacher at the mall, you were likely very shocked and/or felt strangely about it, because you were used to him/her only being a teacher. Same goes for family members normally. Mom is mom, not _______ who had a life before you, who went to high school and fell in love, who had her heart broken, who dreamed of being a famous basketball player, who was once scared of the dark, etc.
Therefor, the people you are truly closest to, whom you *think* you know very well, may be capable of very different things than you might imagine.
:)(less)

Laurel Young
May 17, 2011 Laurel Young rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In 1939, Agatha Christie published a short story featuring Hercule Poirot, entitled "Yellow Iris." A few years later, she expanded the story into this excellent novel, changing the detective to Colonel Race. Having read the story before the novel, I immediately recognized the similarity of the setup (right down to the name Iris). I assumed, therefore, that I knew how the murder was done, and in fact that aspect remains the same. However, if you think that reading the story will make it pointless ...more
Nandakishore Varma
May 12, 2016 Nandakishore Varma rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
An unusual Agatha Christie mystery without the usual convolutions and red herrings. The murderer, and the reason for murder, is rather obvious - however, the real twist is elsewhere! And it is highly plausible... (to say anything more would be a spoiler).
Ali AlShewail
غريبة جدا الرواية دى :)

اولا حابب أهنى نفسي بأنى أخيرا بعد روايات لأجاثا قدرت أتوقع القاتل المرادى و توقعي كان صحيح :D

ثانيا ، النصف الاول من الرواية ممل و غامض و متشعب و يحسسك انك تايه تثناء القراءة و فعلا في اكتر من مرة كنت بفكر أوقف القراءة و مكملش الرواية دي لكن انا كنت مغفل .

ميزة الرواية دي انها هتفضل تعطشك و تخلى مخك يودى و يجيب لحد اخر ورقة فى الرواية ، و فعليا الرواية دي بالذات هتخليك تشك في كل اسم اتقال فيها حتى لو أجاثا كانت قالت فيها اسمك الشخصي كنت هتشك في نفسك :D

لغز آخر ممتع من ألغا
Brooke
Apr 27, 2014 Brooke rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Agatha Christie has done it again - this book was brilliant, as ALWAYS! She keeps you on the edge of your seat, guessing and thinking and rethinking during the entire book. I suspected nearly every character at one point or another in this book, but not once have I been able to correctly guess the ending and the murderer of an Agatha Christie book. (And I have read a lot of her books.)

The book is about a young woman named Rosemary Barton, who was murdered at her birthday dinner before six friend
nikos
Jan 09, 2016 nikos rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, mystery, crime
Πολυ καλο!!!!!!!!!Πολυ καλη πλοκη που κλιμακωνεται σε ενταση οσο φτανεις στο τελος.Καλο το φιναλε.Θεωρω οτι ειναι απο τα καλυτερα της!!!!!!
Sura  ✿
اول رواية قرأتها لاجاثا كريستي , قرأتها مرتين وهي الافضل بالنسبة لي بين روايات كريستي الاخرى .
هدى ناصر
Mar 09, 2016 هدى ناصر rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
رائعة أخرى من روائع اجاثا
Bárbara
4.5 estrellas

Este libro de la tía Agatha es uno de esos que te atrapa y no te suelta. Me pareció genial que empezara con la visión en retrospectiva de varios personajes sobre un supuesto suicidio. Cada uno tenía sus propias ideas del asunto, y los dramas con la fallecida (una cabeza hueca) daban para muchas teorías.

También me ha sorprendido para bien que Cianuro espumoso no lo protagoniza un detective o el criminal, sino el recuerdo de la víctima, Rosemary, que atormenta a los "involucrados".

C
Apr 03, 2015 3434 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
رائعة من روائع أجاثا كريستي المعتادة. وترتني القضية هذه المرة أكثر من اللازم ما قدرت أخمن نصف تخمين حتى عن هوية المجرم. عظيمة!
Orinoco Womble (tidy bag and all)
I've seen at least 3 different film versions of this book, so it's high time I sat down and read it. ITV decided for whatever reason to have Poirot investigate the case, not Col. Race (who does get a look-in during their film of Cards on the Table but only as a secondary character who defers to Poirot). I suppose that's because P. is much better-known than either Col Race or Inspector Battle; I've never seen an Inspector Battle film or heard him mentioned in a Christie-inspired film.

Suffice it t
Belén
May 11, 2015 Belén rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really wanted to read a book by Agatha Christie and I thought doing it reading "and then there were none" but finally my dad gave me "Sparkling Cyanide".
I must say that I loved the book. All hypotheses I had while I read the story were wrong.
The story kept me entertained all the time. I recommend it so much to everyone.

Tenía muchísimas ganas de leer un libro de Agatha Christie y pensaba hacerlo leyendo "diez negritos" pero finalmente mi papá me regaló "cianuro espumoso"
Debo decir que el libro
Karina
Jul 27, 2016 Karina rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016-books
3.8
Not too shabby for my second AC book! I thought it was really well written. I guessed the guilty party/ies fairly early on, but there were still many fantastic twists and excellent storytelling...or plot unravelling. It's not an easy task as an author to explain something to a reader and not make them feel like an idiot.

I feel like there should be better characterisation - more than beautiful women being vapid and selfish, and Americans being gauche. Some extra depth of character is needed. T
Célia
Rosemary Barton morreu, subitamente, durante um jantar num restaurante, envenenada por cianeto. Na altura, a falta de evidências de outro tipo fez concluir que teria sido suicídio, mas quando um ano depois um jantar idêntico decorre e outra pessoa morre nas mesmas circunstâncias, começa-se a pensar que não há coincidências…

Uma boa parte do livro é dedicada a cada uma das pessoas próximas e que poderiam ser suspeitas destes crimes. Assim, numa espécie de capítulo “point of view”, Agatha Christie
Sammy
Oct 02, 2010 Sammy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
In which a party of seven is reduced to six after an uncomfortable dinner; and, a year, later, six becomes five…

"Sparkling Cyanide" (or "Remembered Death", as it was released in the US, leading me to assume that the publishers’ mandate was just to get the word “Murder” or “Death” into every title) is an expanded retelling of "Yellow Iris", a Poirot short story, which was effectively adapted for the David Suchet series in the early ’90s. It’s a lovely idea, and told damn well, featuring a detecti
Denise
Jan 10, 2015 Denise rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015-reads
This was my first Agatha Christie book. Not bad! I know it isn't one that most people talk about as being one of her best, but it was short and sweet and sitting nearby. Great way to spend a couple of hours.
Thor Balanon
Jul 13, 2016 Thor Balanon rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very energetic prose; the characters crackle with neurosis and cruel intentions. A very fun, quick read.
Emanuele
Un Christie d'annata, di fronte al quale, comunque, molti altri gialli moderni impallidiscono.
3* e 1/2
Nikita (NjKinny's World of Books & Stuff)

“Six people were thinking of Rosemary Barton who had died nearly a year ago...”

Rosemary Barton, a most beautiful, charming albeit wool headed wealthy woman dies mysteriously by cyanide poisoning on her birthday. Police determine her death to be suicide and the case is closed but did Rosemary committed suicide or was she killed?

Supposedly always around, Rosemary is dead but not forgotten and when her husband starts to doubt the police verdict, it's like ev
Hannah
May 01, 2014 Hannah rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
A great read, and you find yourself liking many of the characters (the romantics will be happy with Iris/Anthony). The ending, however, was a bit of a letdown; the culprit's motivation to kill was weak, and it just didn't leave you with the chilling shock that other Christie's succeeded in doing. The idea of killing via cyanide poisoning has been done more than once in Christie's novels, too.
Jennie Rigg
The plot and the intrigue are all classic Christie; in that regard it was comfort reading. I spotted the mechanism but not the murderer, which is always satisfying. I like being a little hoodwinked by a writer if they do it in an interesting enough way. So far so good.

However, this would have had four stars were it not for two things: firstly the liberal sprinkling of casual racism (which I'm sure was all very acceptable at the time etc etc but just jars and jolts me out of the story these days)
pegah
Sep 01, 2013 pegah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love this.
Damaskcat
Nov 10, 2014 Damaskcat rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A year ago Rosemary dies of cyanide poisoning at a fashionable restaurant. Now George, her widower, wants to stage the party again with the same guests and an empty place for Rosemary. He is advised by an old friend - Colonel Race - not to do it and Race himself refuses to attend the party. George has been prompted to restage it because he has received anonymous letters saying his wife was murdered. Instead of going to the police he wants to frighten the murderer into revealing themselves.

A lot
Nikki
Aug 28, 2008 Nikki rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mysteries, re-reads
I believe it was Ogden Nash who wrote "One Christie book is as good as a lib'ry," and I have to concur. I'm sure I've read all the books Agatha Christie published under that name (skipping the Mary Westmacott titles) and yet I can only remember the plots and the culprits in a few obvious ones. So I didn't mind rereading this book (which has two titles) for an online book discussion.

Remembered Death (or Sparkling Cyanide opens almost a year after the shocking death of Rosemary Barton at her bir
Kasia
With an exception of one Miss Marple mystery, all of my other reads from Christie had Hercule Poirot in them so I was amused to find that this was the last novel for Colonel Race who does the sleuthing in this book, apparently he's been in a few of other works penned by the infamous queen of crime. All I can say is better late than never! This was such a fun read, the characters were all so absolutely over the top that it made them memorable yet flawed enough to all be guilty, some were snobs, o ...more
Rachel
Sep 04, 2012 Rachel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was actually the first Agatha Christie novel I read; up until this I had only read a collection of her short stories. I bought it on my annual vacation, in a small book store, knowing that I wanted to buy a Christie novel (the town where I vacation would make the BEST setting for a classy murder or mystery novel, so I was inspired to get in a mystery mood.) I planned on buying a well-known one like And Then There Were None, Murder on the Orient Express, or The Murder of Roger Ackroyd, but t ...more
Caroline
Feb 28, 2015 Caroline rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
Sparkling Cyanide begins with 18-year-old Iris Marle reminiscing about the suicide of her sister Rosemary at a dinner party. Because this is Agatha Christie, the suicide is really a murder in disguise. When Iris reminiscence about the different dinner guests and how ghastly it all was, what she is doing is introducing the suspects. The narrative then switches the point-of-view of another of the party guests. Each one remembers Rosemary, and the scene is set for the solving of a murder.

This is no
Sean Homrig
May 10, 2016 Sean Homrig rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"Remembered Death" is an elegant little murder mystery with an interesting cast of characters, many of them richer than the usual (often close to cardboard cut-outs) ones that Christie used. The police procedural scenes take a back seat to the lives of six individuals and their involvement with an alleged suicide a year ago (thus the title).

The ending does not disappoint, and is one of those that will have most readers slapping their foreheads in surprise, as the solution is hidden in front of t
Srishti
Karen
Jun 11, 2014 Karen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: christie
Nofuture
V poslednom čase mám akosi šťastie na christiovky bez Poirota. Nevadí, ono sa to všetko veľmi príjemne číta. Aj keď v tejto sa ani tak moc nevyšetruje ako skôr kecá a kecá a kecá a potom na konci sa zrazu nájde záškodník.

Počas jednej slávnostnej večere sa oslávenkyňa efektne odoberie na onen svet. Všetci to považujú za nehodu resp. samovraždu. Až kým pozostalému manželovi nenapadne geniálna vec. Poďme zorganizovať rovnakú večeru na výročie smrti a ja urobím veľké odhalenie. No ako to asi tak moh
Goodreads Librari...: Remembered Death 3 12 Jan 22, 2015 04:59PM
Agatha Christie L...: May 2014 - Sparkling Cyanide 40 89 Jun 12, 2014 06:23AM
  • Singing in the Shrouds (Roderick Alleyn, #20)
  • Pearls Before Swine (Albert Campion Mystery #12)
  • They Found Him Dead (Inspector Hannasyde, #3)
  • The Documents in the Case
  • The Scoop and Behind the Screen

More about Agatha Christie...

Colonel Race (4 books)
  • The Man in the Brown Suit
  • Cards on the Table (Hercule Poirot, #15)
  • Death on the Nile (Hercule Poirot, #17)

“Most successes are unhappy. That's why they are successes-they have to reassure themselves about themselves by achieving something that the world will notice.... The happy people are failures because they are on such good terms with themselves that they don't give a damn.” 26 likes
“How little you might know of a person after living in the same house with them!” 7 likes