Start by marking “Uncle Sam's Plantation” as Want to Read:
Uncle Sam's Plantation

Uncle Sam's Plantation

3.89  ·  Rating Details  ·  176 Ratings  ·  34 Reviews
America has two economic systems: capitalism for the rich and socialism for the poor. This double-minded approach seems to keep the poor enslaved to poverty while the rich get richer. Let's face it, despite its $400 billion price tag, welfare isn't working. The solution, asserts Star Parker, is a faith-based, not state-sponsored, plan. In Uncle Sam's Plantation, she offers ...more
Published by Nelson, Thomas, Inc. (first published November 20th 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Uncle Sam's Plantation, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Uncle Sam's Plantation

Vannessa Anderson
Uncle Sam’s Plantation is the story of Star Parker who was once a slave on Uncle Sam’s Plantation. Author Star Parker defines Uncle Sam’s Plantation as: welfare, unemployment benefits, etc.

Star Parker gives us examples of how she defines Uncle Sam’s Plantation:

3) The Poor In Spirit

Star Parker also talks about

1) How harmful the increase of minimum wage is to the smal
Sally
In my opinion, nothing beats the voice of experience. I went for this particular book because I knew I would be hearing from the, "Been there, done that," quarter. Star Parker grew up in an environment where you worked for what you wanted. As a teenager, however, she rebelled and, in the course of that rebellion, found it was remarkably easy to get government money. She would never have to work a regular job for legal money ever again if she chose. Parker learned to obtain food stamps, free hous ...more
Zalee Harris
Sep 27, 2013 Zalee Harris rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I would like to meet and talk with Ms Star Parker. I got hooked on her advocacy work when she appeared on Fox News and MSNBC several years ago to serve up hard-hitting facts about the role Uncle Sam plays in feeding us sh** and making us believe its cookies. There are more than enough Ah-Hah! moments in this book. As I prepare to write and publish my first Blog site and eBook, going through the books I've read ten - fifteen years ago and look at where we are now as a people is appalling. When I ...more
Jeremy
May 09, 2016 Jeremy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition

Quotes:

Despite growing evidence that government dependency entrenches generational poverty, liberal and Democratic organizations continue to claim that racism, sexism, and capitalism are responsible for the problems of the poor.

I know the social problems afflicting Black America are great. I know that confronting black anger is exhausting. But I also know the dreams of my ancestors did not include enslavement on the government's plantation of poverty. They understood that nothing in the world is
James
Feb 06, 2016 James rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: politics
4.5 stars.
Poverty. 'Social justice.' Welfare. Racism. The silence of the American Church. The first third of this book is a stunning political critique of them, from a woman who has seen the extreme ends of both sides. There is likely no other work of equal discernment on the 1st three topics above on paper. 5 stars for the first third.

Cornell West, Oprah Winfrey, Jesse Jackson: meet your better.
The rest of the book was excellent but not exceptional: pp.79-168 rating about 4 stars, and pp.168-24
Brian
Jan 01, 2014 Brian rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
WOW! Star Parker has crafted an extremely well written take on the modern day plantation and slaves trapped on it under the US welfare system. She has a firm understanding of the basics of the free market economy and how it creates opportunities and improves lives for everyone. Her book is well illustrated with personal experience from someone who has "been there, done that" and found a way to escape to freedom. America needs more leaders like her! I highly recommend this book.
Donald Peebles
I read UNCLE SAM'S PLANTATION: HOW BIG GOVERNMENT ENSLAVES AMERICA'S POOR AND WHAT WE CAN DO ABOUT IT by Star Parker. Surprisingly, I could not put it down. I have a guilty feeling that I have some conservative views myself but I do not consider myself a conservative. I am in agreement with some of her views about welfare/public assistance in regards to some people depending on it instead of using it as a temporary means to getting back into their feet from unemployment, homelessness and other h ...more
Emilie
Apr 28, 2011 Emilie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2011
I couldn't put it down. Working with the poor, I see these issues played out in real life. Star Parker has personal, real-life experience being poor and exploited by the government, which gives her opinion more weight. I would definitely recommend this to anyone who works with inner-city, welfare-dependent people.
Brianna
Oct 18, 2009 Brianna rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I couldn't get through the entire book, but it did bring to light some important observations and perspectives of how this country enables the poor to stay poor.
Morlee
Aug 13, 2012 Morlee rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A real eye-opener - but possibly appreciated only by those who are up to facing reality. I loved this book and recommend it often.
Nikole Hahn
Nov 18, 2010 Nikole Hahn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Star Parker begins this political and moral call to arms with a story about her grandmother. It shows real poor compared to the poor nowadays. Star Parker has received death threats from her own race and hateful comments while trying to persuade African-Americans of the destruction welfare is causing to their heritage. She reminds us of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.’s original civil rights roots:

“Relationships between Jews and blacks thrived at the beginning of their common cause. When Dr. King p
Holli
May 04, 2011 Holli rated it it was amazing
I read this book to better understand the damage our government is doing to our freedoms and to our citizens. This book is an excellent explanation of the damage social programs do to our society. Why is our society so focused on entitlement instead of empowerment? I'm tired of being treated as though because I don't believe in social programs, I don't care about the poor. That is not the case at all. The social programs are not helping the poor. She also talks a lot about the loss of morality, ...more
Kristine Coumbe
Sep 25, 2010 Kristine Coumbe rated it liked it
"Uncle Sam's Plantation is an inclusive look at how government manipulates,controls,and ultimately devestates the lives of the poor..."
I found Parker's writing a bit dry and needful of a good editor. I have studied poverty in college and was interested to hear a republican or conservative point of view. Parker was raised in poverty and seems to have broken the gernational chain of poverty. I am confused by her views, she at times blames the complex problem of poverty on the victims themselves a
Elliot
Oct 02, 2010 Elliot rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: politics
Star Parker argues in this book that poverty is too complicated to be fixed by government programs. Parker herself was once poor and took advantage of welfare programs, but she climbed out of poverty through hard work and determination. The two great heroes of this book are freedom and personal responsibility, and the two great villains are what Parker calls liberalism and moral relativism.

I found Parker’s telling of her own story to be inspiring, and there were some parts of the book that I agr
Dave Hoff
Author writes from experience. Having lived the life of hardship, most brought on by her actions, and inaction, on Welfare she was in each of the phases of being poor. But upon conversion, she tried hard and did succeed. She has a message liberals do not want to hear, nor sadly the poor.
Amy
I liked the premise of this book and tended to agree with most of the points made. It had some great quotes to pull as well. Star's story is inspirational in and of itself. However, this book focused too much on the African American experience (though Hispanics are also a large part of the impoverished population, as well as fair portions of every other ethnic demographic, including whites) which in my opinion weakened the arguments. It also focused quite a bit on Christian values, which, while ...more
Anita Williamson
I would probably rate this as 2 and a half. I really didn't have any problem with her philosophy I just thought the book could have been organized a better to support her thesis.
David
May 21, 2015 David rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very good definition of the problem, very good instruction in basic economics, and worthwhile solutions. I wish more people would read this book.
Kate
Oct 29, 2009 Kate rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
While written with a few tongue in cheek lines here and there (my favorite was the barb on France-- then again, who doesn't give France a hard time?) Parker presents sound, reasonable arguments against Big government. The tone openly admonishes conspiracy theory in favor of open honest and of thus (as argued), politically incorrect, rhetoric. At the very least reading this will give you a perspective not often talked about without yelling/screaming at Cable or Radio-- and if you're honest with y ...more
Rachel Wearne
Jan 02, 2016 Rachel Wearne rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book did a very good job of explaining a very complicated problem and what can be done to help Solve it.
Jane Fournier
Feb 16, 2016 Jane Fournier rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Author Star Parker has a wonderful story. She nails the problems in the USA. Not my cover.
Jon
Nov 18, 2008 Jon rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I’m extremely socially liberal, but also quite conservative when it comes to government, so I agree with her thoughts on welfare reform, but disagree that homosexuality and teenage pregnancy can be “cured” by going to church.

Still, it’s nice to read a book by a conservative that is honest and isn’t being written just to stir-the-pot and make people upset. Star Parker has an excellent perspective to make a case for her opinion and this book is worth reading for anyone interested in how to solve
Debra
May 07, 2016 Debra rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The book has a great premise and starts off well, but it is full of rhetoric and unsupported conclusions that detract from the main argument. I couldn't finish it, and was disappointed that it was not the book that I was looking forward to reading. I can form my own conclusions based on evidence, thank you. A good book should make you think, not think for you.
Sara Phelps
Jul 23, 2011 Sara Phelps rated it it was ok
This book was incredibly frustrating. While I don't disagree with some of her themes, she spouts opinion as fact with very little data to support her suppositions. I completely lost the thread of her arguments because of her terrible style of persuasion, if you can even call it that. At rare times she made me think about things in a new way, but this got lost in my overall annoyance with her approach.
Marie Stroughter
Star Parker is a voice to be reckoned with. She really lays out the mentality behind our dependence on social welfare programs. As someone who grew up in subsidized housing, on may of the programs she discusses, this book has the ring of truth for anyone brave enough to set aside pre-conceived ideas.
Sandy
Jul 14, 2009 Sandy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I usually find politics books hard to podge through but this one was very readable and I really enjoyed her insights. It was primarily from an African American view point but most of what she pointed out can be said about all poor regardless of race.
Oct 21, 2013 Laura rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love Star Parker! She talks about why so many people are in poverty & why they stay there. She is a great example of how you can get out if poverty. Sheila Jackson Lee's district needs to read this book!
Teri
Oct 11, 2011 Teri rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a very interesting book about the welfare system established by our government. I thought I would just skim it when I started, but I was hooked and read every page.
Leigh Anne
May 31, 2009 Leigh Anne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was very interesting, written from the perspective of a woman who was on welfare. Didn't get to finish this one either due to time....had to return it to the library.
Paul J
Mar 15, 2013 Paul J rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What a great view from inside the Welfare system. I never really saw this program for what it truly is. Great book and a great story of success.
  • Blacklash: How Obama and the Left Are Driving Americans to the Government Plantation
  • The Tragedy of American Compassion
  • The Ten Things You Can't Say in America
  • Authentically Black
  • The Communist
  • The Content of Our Character: A New Vision of Race In America
  • Green Hell: How Environmentalists Plan to Control Your Life and What You Can Do to Stop Them
  • Invasion: How America Still Welcomes Terrorists, Criminals, And Other Foreign Menaces To Our Shores
  • Masters of Deceit: The Story of Communism in America and How to Fight It