Start by marking “El Poder De La Resiliencia” as Want to Read:
El Poder De La Resiliencia

El Poder De La Resiliencia

What is the source of the inner peace and self-confidence that allows some people to see each new challenge as an exciting opportunity, while others see only defeat and stress? Is such admirable resilience something you have to be born with, or can anybody learn to have it? Readers get the answers to these and other profound life questions in The Power of Resilience.

In thi

Paperback
Published by Ediciones Paidos Iberica (first published January 1st 1955)

To ask other readers questions about El Poder De La Resiliencia, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about El Poder De La Resiliencia

Paula
Mar 24, 2014 Paula rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
There is much about this book that is rehashed. If you've read books on Attribution Theory and Reframing, then you've heard it all before. The section in which he defines Attribution Theory was particularly disappointing. There is so much more to the theory than the author credits. The author briefly introduces Learned Helplessness, but then I've always considered that the weakest point of Attribution Theory. The greater part of the theory, such as the effects of Cognitive Dissonance, is not cov ...more
Nancy
Sep 04, 2008 Nancy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people who want to make their lives better
Recommended to Nancy by: Robert Brooks
Shelves: psychology
I recently saw Robert Brooks speak at a local school. I enjoyed him there (which is why I bought the book), and I enjoyed what he had to say in this book as well. In his view, resilience pretty much boils down to the ability to be empathic, re-writing negative scripts, and having a positive mindset. Most of what he suggests seems like obvious common sense, but it surprising how often we forget to use it. Nothing earth-shattering here, but a nice simple reminder of how best to treat yourself and ...more
Anna Sinova
Interesting review of research on differences between people who are more and less resilient. However he does not provide any practical or achievable way to change other than suggesting to act like the more resilient people. I wish the book instead discussed the research on effective strategies that result in people being more resilient. I suspect, just telling people to be so does not work very well.
Christina
Sep 24, 2009 Christina rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A self-help book that is a cut above the rest. This book divides "resilience" into several different qualities that resilient people have and then offers suggestions on how to cultivate these qualities. I found the chapters on handling stress, avoiding perfectionistic thinking, and maintaining self-control particularly helpful. The many anecdotes from the authors' joint therapy practice make the book an engaging read.
Karlene Olesuk
Sep 10, 2009 Karlene Olesuk rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm reading less and less self-help books these days, but I'm about half-way through this book....at least I think it's the title, since there are a few resilience books out there. I like the "resilience score" they make you do for yourself and explaining their method as well as some common sense tips.
Loretta Estrada
I'm anticipating reading this book once I've finished my current reads. It's waiting for me on my nightstand. I heard Robert Brooks speak at a conference spring 2009. He was an accessible, intelligent speaker. His book will hopefully be the same.
Rebekah
I've been working through this one on and off for almost a year, reading when I didn't feel as strong as I wanted to be. The result? I've decided that through all the events and constant changes in my life, I'm actually more resilient than I thought. I just need little reminders once in a while.
Morgan
Apr 06, 2010 Morgan marked it as started-but-not-finished  ·  review of another edition
I went to see Dr. Brooks talk about how to raise resilient children at the Children's Museum (for work). Great speaker! But I've never gotten past the first chapter of a self-help book and this one was no different.
Martin Goldberg
Just OK. Could have been so much better. "Succeeding When Your Supposed To Fail" by Rom Brafman is a similar book and WAY better.
Mahmasoni Masdar
Mahmasoni Masdar rated it really liked it
Jan 06, 2017
Julie
Julie rated it really liked it
Jun 17, 2016
Ryan
Ryan rated it it was amazing
Nov 30, 2015
Candy Costacurta
Candy Costacurta rated it it was amazing
Aug 13, 2014
Elizabeth
Elizabeth rated it it was ok
Sep 01, 2011
Chris Fernandes
Chris Fernandes rated it really liked it
Feb 16, 2013
Sharon Shadrick
Sharon Shadrick rated it really liked it
Jun 05, 2013
Jill
Jill rated it it was amazing
Jan 13, 2009
Katie
Katie rated it liked it
Dec 09, 2011
Daniel Selders
Daniel Selders rated it really liked it
Jun 13, 2012
Jan Campbell
Jan Campbell rated it really liked it
Jan 24, 2015
Jared
Jared rated it did not like it
Jun 10, 2016
Sylvia
Sylvia rated it it was amazing
Jan 04, 2017
Anne Baumgartner
Anne Baumgartner rated it it was amazing
Oct 05, 2014
Lynn
Lynn rated it really liked it
Dec 27, 2013
Marilyn G. Slutzky
Marilyn G. Slutzky rated it it was amazing
Feb 05, 2014
Alice
Alice rated it really liked it
Jan 01, 2014
Lucretia Cioata
We all must endure setbacks and impasses in our lives!
Kathleen
Kathleen rated it really liked it
Jan 16, 2016
Donna
Donna rated it liked it
Jan 09, 2015
Nakul Chadha
Nakul Chadha rated it it was amazing
Aug 17, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 next »
  • Emotional Sobriety: From Relationship Trauma to Resilience and Balance
  • A Resilient Life: You Can Move Ahead No Matter What
  • The Trauma Myth: The Truth About the Sexual Abuse of Children--and Its Aftermath
  • The Triple Bind: Saving Our Teenage Girls from Today's Pressures
  • The Resilience Factor: 7 Keys to  Finding Your Inner Strength and Overcoming Life's Hurdles
  • The EFT Manual
  • Secrets of a Buccaneer-Scholar: How Self-Education and the Pursuit of Passion Can Lead to a Lifetime of Success
  • When Parents Hurt: Compassionate Strategies When You and Your Grown Child Don't Get Along
  • The Purpose of Boys: Helping Our Sons Find Meaning, Significance, and Direction in Their Lives
  • Best Friends Forever: Surviving a Breakup with Your Best Friend
  • The Mirror Effect: How Celebrity Narcissism Is Seducing America
  • The Cambridge Handbook of Expertise and Expert Performance
  • The Sedona Method
  • Buried in Treasures: Help for Compulsive Acquiring, Saving, and Hoarding
  • Strange Brains and Genius: The Secret Lives Of Eccentric Scientists And Madmen
  • Made From Scratch: A Memoir
  • Minding the Body, Mending the Mind
  • Toxic Friends: The Antidote for Women Stuck in Complicated Friendships
Librarian Note: There is more than one author named "Robert Brooks" on goodreads.
More about Robert B. Brooks...