Start by marking “The World of Chas Addams” as Want to Read:
The World of Chas Addams

The World of Chas Addams

4.45 of 5 stars 4.45  ·  rating details  ·  774 ratings  ·  27 reviews
302 black-and-white cartoons, with 24 full-color covers.
Paperback, First paperback, 320 pages
Published September 28th 1993 by Knopf (first published 1991)

To ask other readers questions about The World of Chas Addams, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The World of Chas Addams

D.M.
May 24, 2010 D.M. rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Gorey fans, Tim Burton fans...any of those schmucks who take their humour dark like I do
If you don't already know who Charles Addams is, I have no interest in knowing you. At the very least, he'll be well-remembered for being the genesis of the classic '60s TV show, The Addams Family. At most, his fans will always adore his often-macabre but always delightful sense of humour as demonstrated in more than 1,000 New Yorker strips over the course of about 50 years.
This book does not even attempt to collect all his strips, but rather presents a chronological cross-section of some of his
HeavyReader
I'm not sure it's fair to say I "read" this book, as there aren't very many words in it, but I sure did like looking at the pictures. Charles Addams had and incredible wit, and sometimes I have to make my brain work in order to get his jokes. I always feel even better about myself when I struggle a while to reach some understanding and then get to say A-HA!
Mark Victor Young
Da-da-da dum, (click-click)... Da-da-da dum, (click-click)...

Even that is enough for you to know who I'm talking about here, a man whose single panel gag strips appeared in the New Yorker for sixty years, Charles Addams.

Strangely enough, I had only a passing familiarity with Addams' New Yorker comics before reading this book. I had no idea how far his original comics were from the campy, kinky "Addams Family" of TV and movies. In fact the characters Morticia, Uncle Fester, Addams, the kids and
Greta is Erikasbuddy
I had no idea that the idea of the Addams Family came from New Yorker cartoons! Did you?

Chas Addams reminds me of the guy who did The Farside Comics but ... before that cuz these are a lot older.

Plus!! They are soooo Tom and Jerry!! I can't imagine things like this being printed today. I know there would be sooo many people griping that they are too foul. But you know what? I love it!!

A fantastic look at some great old comics! Everyone should give this a try!! Especially if you love odd thing
Natalie Pietro
When you think of the Addams family you think of the 60's TV show, the 90's movies, or even the new Addams Family Musical. It would never cross your mind that these great programs were based off the cartoons of Charles Addams. He was one amazing artist. Not only were his cartoons funny, detailed, and original, this color artwork was beautiful as well. He drew off real life and his depictions were spot on.
After reading his little bio at the beginning I grew to love his work even more. I didn't r
Mike Jensen
Charles Addams's best cartoons are slightly disturbing, especially those about death and dismemberment. This off-kilter work is very clever and very funny. This book presents what are reported to be 300 of his best cartoons, and maybe 250 of them are—or is humor too subjective to support this statement? There are a few dozen cartoons that are brilliant. Most are merely great. Maybe 20 are merely as good as the work of everyone else.

For my taste, the book in wrongly balanced with cartoons from t
Dec 19, 2014 Sarah rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Sarah by: Chris Silverman
Shelves: humor
Darkly funny. Reminds me of The Far Side in some ways, especially when it takes me a little while to see the incongruity. Really enjoyed to see the inspiration for the Addams Family franchise, as well as particular illustrations that were referenced in the movies. Nice.
Melanie Linn
My favorite cartoons are the ones that require a few moments of study in order to get the joke. Sixty years later, these still hold up.
Esmeralda
May 08, 2012 Esmeralda rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Goth kids with a sense of humour
Shelves: art-books
I picked this here book up at my local library literally the other day and have already finished it. It is a wonderful gem of a illustrated book! I am surprised I have not read/seen more work by Charles Addams. The Addams Family is undead and kicking within the pages of these books. It is delightful to see that the quirky funny bone from 1963 is much the same as the one we're equipped with in 2012.

I have always had a soft spot for underworld lit and art, spooky things in general really, and thi
Valerie
I found this in a pile of books I'd set aside because I wanted to refer to one of the cartoons.

Anything but comprehensive. I probably have more Addams cartoons in my own private collection, including one from 1938, and the last one, printed in the New Yorker after his death. But it collects together a fair %age, and it's worthwhile to have them all in one place.

I don't recognize the name of the man who wrote the Foreword (Wilfrid Sheed), but on re-reading the preface, I find it's the source of s
Anna
A much better volume of Addams' work than the previous one I read. There were more Addams strips which were fun to read. And overall, this collection was funnier. I still don't think Addams was that great of an artist, but I enjoyed seeing the parallels between his comics, the show, and the movies so much that I didn't mind. I also liked reading about him as a person in the introduction - it wasn't so much that he was a macabre man, but that it helped create the image of gothic in his work. I ca ...more
Shivering William
Some tired jokes, some repeated jokes, some racist jokes, some jokes captured by a thousand other cartoonists and ground into cliche. But you can't deny that old haunted comfort that a Chas Addams cartoon brings. I became lost in his creepy watercolor backgrounds, losing all sense of where or why I was. I can't say the same for most cartoons I see in the New Yorker these days.
Celeste
Have seen quite a few here from other collections, but this one brings all the best together.
Lisa
I never realized that Chas Addams was the Gary Larsen of his time!! I never liked The Addams Family show, probably because as a child, I had this intense hatred of shows with laugh tracks. "Don't tell ME when to LAUGH!!" These one liner cartoons are really, really funny and morbid; I love dark humor!!! Glad to have discovered this great cartoonist.
Amber the Human
I'm not sure what book my parents owned when I was a kid (or if they own it still) but I read a lot of those from that book as a child - so some of my "odd" sense of humor may come from that particular influence. But my sense of humor has served me well, and this book brought back many fond memories.
Andy
Apr 23, 2008 Andy rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: spooky ghosts, monsters, ghouls
Shelves: art-gallery
The Mad Daddy of goth, for my money Addams is more witty than Edward Gorey and I think his images are better, too. I have it on good authority that Pugsley and Wednesday Addams killed Charlie Brown and Lucy Van Pelt and shrunk them into voodoo dolls. I kid you not.
Kim
great collection of strips, although very few hadn't appeared in previous collections, arrainged in chronological order so readers can see his style and humor develop
Patrick
Bizarre one-panel comic strips from the cartoonist who inspired "The Addams Family." Kind of like a goth version of "The Far Side."
Kellie
Fantastic. This may sound hokey, but reading mr. Addam's work shaped into the woman I am today.
Anne
Only Gorey is in competition with Addams in the great Eerie-Yet-Hilarious race.
David Skies
Ah, Charles Addams . . . proving that gallows humour really is the best kind.
Emily
I am obsessed with the Addam's Family. Charles Addams was AMAZING!
Diane hpr
Jan 24, 2008 Diane hpr rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: everyone
Recommended to Diane by: The Adams family
Words suck

It is awesome to look at things a laugh
Lenna
This book taught me that adults are funny sometimes too.
Shawna
I love Charles Addams.
Nancy
I love his sense of humor!
  • The Complete Cartoons of The New Yorker
  • The Bloom County Library, Vol. 2: 1982-1984
  • In Search of The Far Side
  • Pogo: The Complete Syndicated Comic Strips, Vol. 1: Through the Wild Blue Wonder
  • The Doonesbury Chronicles
  • Little Nemo: 1905-1914
  • Pass the Loot: A FoxTrot Collection
  • The Rejection Collection: Cartoons You Never Saw, and Never Will See, in The New Yorker
  • Krazy and Ignatz, 1931-1932: A Kat Alilt With Song
  • Tim Burton's Nightmare Before Christmas: The Film, the Art, the Vision
  • The Boondocks: Public Enemy #2
  • Amphigorey Too
  • Childhood Is Hell
  • 50 Weitere Streiche Und Abenteuer
  • The New Yorker Book of Cat Cartoons
Chas Addams was a cartoonist best known for creating "The Addams Family" comic characters which have been adapted for a variety of media. His signature style was single panels of macabre humor.
More about Charles Addams...
My Crowd The Addams Family: An Evilution The Charles Addams Mother Goose Chas Addams Happily Ever After: A Collection of Cartoons to Chill the Heart of Your Loved One Homebodies