Start by marking “The World of Chas Addams” as Want to Read:
The World of Chas Addams

The World of Chas Addams

4.42  ·  Rating Details ·  1,140 Ratings  ·  43 Reviews
302 black-and-white cartoons, with 24 full-color covers.
Paperback, First paperback, 320 pages
Published September 28th 1993 by Knopf (first published 1991)

To ask other readers questions about The World of Chas Addams, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The World of Chas Addams

David Schaafsma
May 17, 2016 David Schaafsma rated it really liked it
Shelves: horror, cartoons
Remember The Addams Family? No?! Oh-kay, on to your next review, I guess! Or, maybe you want to discover some cool cartoons from a pretty long time ago--selections from SIXTY years of his work, from 1930 through 1990, when he died!--that combine two seemingly distinct categories of descriptors: Macabre, and Humorous.

This collection is a good start in checking out Addams, if you want to have an actual paper copy of his work in your hands, as I did. Besides the Addams family, which he developed fr
Jaksen
Jun 20, 2015 Jaksen rated it liked it
I requested this from my local library. (It came on the boat from Nantucket. No limericks, please. :D) I wanted to see if these cartoons still made me laugh. I used to enjoy them when my grandparents subscribed to the New Yorker. I'd sit in a big chair at their house and just go through the old copies and read the cartoons.

This was in the 1960's, btw.

So when I learned there was a compilation of them, I had to see them again. Well, I was a little disappointed because what I thought funny at ages
Sara Alaee
Mar 09, 2015 Sara Alaee rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Those who love cartoons and fun!
Shelves: comics, humor, art
I love cartoons! I loved it! FUNNY and amusing.

Robert
Jul 29, 2015 Robert rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: x2014-15-season
Having gone through most of his work in the original collections I was already familiar with all of these, seeing them in a bright, modern edition with better printing and reproduction technology and the inclusion of some color plates as well made it a worthy read.
D.M.
May 24, 2010 D.M. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Gorey fans, Tim Burton fans...any of those schmucks who take their humour dark like I do
If you don't already know who Charles Addams is, I have no interest in knowing you. At the very least, he'll be well-remembered for being the genesis of the classic '60s TV show, The Addams Family. At most, his fans will always adore his often-macabre but always delightful sense of humour as demonstrated in more than 1,000 New Yorker strips over the course of about 50 years.
This book does not even attempt to collect all his strips, but rather presents a chronological cross-section of some of his
HeavyReader
Dec 13, 2007 HeavyReader rated it really liked it
Shelves: art
I'm not sure it's fair to say I "read" this book, as there aren't very many words in it, but I sure did like looking at the pictures. Charles Addams had and incredible wit, and sometimes I have to make my brain work in order to get his jokes. I always feel even better about myself when I struggle a while to reach some understanding and then get to say A-HA!
Daryl
Oct 22, 2016 Daryl rated it it was amazing
How does one review a book of cartoons? Can't really talk about the plot, but there are some recurring characters. Some of Charles Addams' cartoons, for those who don't already know, were used as the basis, or inspiration, for the TV series The Addams Family. And many of those characters make their appearance in these cartoons - Morticia, Gomez, Lurch, Wednesday, Puggsley, even Grandmama - although I don't believe any of them are named herein. This collection spans Addams' career, from the '30s ...more
nick
Jan 02, 2017 nick rated it really liked it
iv been searching for a less expensive copy of this book since I found out about its existence around 1997, which may of caused me to have high expectations. the introduction was very interesting. most of the images where hilarious and brilliant, though majority where cheeky yet still so good. some where just cute. a few took me a minute to understand and a few im still baffled by, maybe its an era thing.
Jeff Lewonczyk
Oct 31, 2016 Jeff Lewonczyk rated it it was amazing
I've read this like a dozen times and picked it up again to get into the Halloween spirit after having just finished his biography. Never gets old!
Lauren Paletta
Nov 16, 2016 Lauren Paletta rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
KennyO
Sep 26, 2016 KennyO rated it really liked it
Shelves: cartoons
Dark, tasty and not topical. It rarely gets better than Chas Addams. His characters were given names in the TV series in the 1960s but names were not part of the original cartoons. Nor were they needed. I wish I still had my long-gone copy of this gem.
Mark Victor Young
Jun 20, 2009 Mark Victor Young rated it really liked it
Da-da-da dum, (click-click)... Da-da-da dum, (click-click)...

Even that is enough for you to know who I'm talking about here, a man whose single panel gag strips appeared in the New Yorker for sixty years, Charles Addams.

Strangely enough, I had only a passing familiarity with Addams' New Yorker comics before reading this book. I had no idea how far his original comics were from the campy, kinky "Addams Family" of TV and movies. In fact the characters Morticia, Uncle Fester, Addams, the kids and
Michael Emond
May 15, 2015 Michael Emond rated it really liked it
I had certainly heard of this cartoonist for a long time but never sat down with a collection. This was a wonderful one to see. Even as old as these cartoons are, a good percentage of them seem fresh and could work today. I have little doubt that the Far Side cartoonist Gary Larson picked up his style from Addams. While not exactly the same style they both look at something mundane and put a dark twist on it.

I'll break down an example: There is a stock broker advising his client that there are
Greta is Erikasbuddy
I had no idea that the idea of the Addams Family came from New Yorker cartoons! Did you?

Chas Addams reminds me of the guy who did The Farside Comics but ... before that cuz these are a lot older.

Plus!! They are soooo Tom and Jerry!! I can't imagine things like this being printed today. I know there would be sooo many people griping that they are too foul. But you know what? I love it!!

A fantastic look at some great old comics! Everyone should give this a try!! Especially if you love odd thing
Nate
Sep 17, 2016 Nate rated it it was ok
Shelves: nonfiction
I wasn't aware that he was the creator of the Addams family. There were a few funny macabre cartoons, but some of them were forced. It was just not my cup of tea
Natalie Pietro
Apr 12, 2011 Natalie Pietro rated it it was amazing
Shelves: timeless, table-top, humor
When you think of the Addams family you think of the 60's TV show, the 90's movies, or even the new Addams Family Musical. It would never cross your mind that these great programs were based off the cartoons of Charles Addams. He was one amazing artist. Not only were his cartoons funny, detailed, and original, this color artwork was beautiful as well. He drew off real life and his depictions were spot on.
After reading his little bio at the beginning I grew to love his work even more. I didn't r
Mike Jensen
Nov 15, 2011 Mike Jensen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Charles Addams's best cartoons are slightly disturbing, especially those about death and dismemberment. This off-kilter work is very clever and very funny. This book presents what are reported to be 300 of his best cartoons, and maybe 250 of them are—or is humor too subjective to support this statement? There are a few dozen cartoons that are brilliant. Most are merely great. Maybe 20 are merely as good as the work of everyone else.

For my taste, the book in wrongly balanced with cartoons from t
Dominick
Dec 28, 2015 Dominick rated it really liked it
Shelves: humour, cartoons
Great, more or less chronological collection of Addams cartoons, ranging from his earliest work through to the end of his career. What's remarkable about it is how quickly he found a distinctive style (though selection might be a factor in creating that impression) and how long and successfully he maintained it. His late cartoons are as vibrant, mordant, and funny as his earlier ones. The macabre and violent of course predominate--amazing how many strips are predicated on the idea that one spous ...more
Esmeralda
May 08, 2012 Esmeralda rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Goth kids with a sense of humour
Shelves: art-books
I picked this here book up at my local library literally the other day and have already finished it. It is a wonderful gem of a illustrated book! I am surprised I have not read/seen more work by Charles Addams. The Addams Family is undead and kicking within the pages of these books. It is delightful to see that the quirky funny bone from 1963 is much the same as the one we're equipped with in 2012.

I have always had a soft spot for underworld lit and art, spooky things in general really, and thi
Anna
A much better volume of Addams' work than the previous one I read. There were more Addams strips which were fun to read. And overall, this collection was funnier. I still don't think Addams was that great of an artist, but I enjoyed seeing the parallels between his comics, the show, and the movies so much that I didn't mind. I also liked reading about him as a person in the introduction - it wasn't so much that he was a macabre man, but that it helped create the image of gothic in his work. I ca ...more
Valerie
I found this in a pile of books I'd set aside because I wanted to refer to one of the cartoons.

Anything but comprehensive. I probably have more Addams cartoons in my own private collection, including one from 1938, and the last one, printed in the New Yorker after his death. But it collects together a fair %age, and it's worthwhile to have them all in one place.

I don't recognize the name of the man who wrote the Foreword (Wilfrid Sheed), but on re-reading the preface, I find it's the source of s
Lisa
Oct 09, 2012 Lisa rated it really liked it
I never realized that Chas Addams was the Gary Larsen of his time!! I never liked The Addams Family show, probably because as a child, I had this intense hatred of shows with laugh tracks. "Don't tell ME when to LAUGH!!" These one liner cartoons are really, really funny and morbid; I love dark humor!!! Glad to have discovered this great cartoonist.
Amber the Human
Nov 04, 2013 Amber the Human rated it really liked it
I'm not sure what book my parents owned when I was a kid (or if they own it still) but I read a lot of those from that book as a child - so some of my "odd" sense of humor may come from that particular influence. But my sense of humor has served me well, and this book brought back many fond memories.
Christian McKay
Dec 21, 2013 Christian McKay rated it really liked it
Some tired jokes, some repeated jokes, some racist jokes, some jokes captured by a thousand other cartoonists and ground into cliche. But you can't deny that old haunted comfort that a Chas Addams cartoon brings. I became lost in his creepy watercolor backgrounds, losing all sense of where or why I was. I can't say the same for most cartoons I see in the New Yorker these days.
Dec 19, 2014 Sarah rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Sarah by: Chris Silverman
Shelves: humor
Darkly funny. Reminds me of The Far Side in some ways, especially when it takes me a little while to see the incongruity. Really enjoyed to see the inspiration for the Addams Family franchise, as well as particular illustrations that were referenced in the movies. Nice.
Andy
Apr 23, 2008 Andy rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: spooky ghosts, monsters, ghouls
Shelves: art-gallery
The Mad Daddy of goth, for my money Addams is more witty than Edward Gorey and I think his images are better, too. I have it on good authority that Pugsley and Wednesday Addams killed Charlie Brown and Lucy Van Pelt and shrunk them into voodoo dolls. I kid you not.
Melanie Kay
Apr 18, 2016 Melanie Kay rated it it was amazing
I got this as a gift and it is one of my most prized possessions. Addams is deliciously dark and disturbing!
Roger
Dec 07, 2015 Roger rated it really liked it
Shelves: humor
Not his funniest collection. But some hilarious ones, some views of the Addams Family house not seen in the tv show, and the introduction is excellent.
Patrick
Jan 17, 2008 Patrick rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2006
Bizarre one-panel comic strips from the cartoonist who inspired "The Addams Family." Kind of like a goth version of "The Far Side."
Lucy
Oct 02, 2015 Lucy rated it it was amazing
Charles Addams's cartoons, mostly printed in The New Yorker. I love his style. Many were familiar, but there a lot of cartoons that were new to me. Recommended.
  • The Complete Cartoons of The New Yorker
  • The Bloom County Library, Vol. 2: 1982-1984
  • The Doonesbury Chronicles
  • Pogo: The Complete Syndicated Comic Strips, Vol. 1: Through the Wild Blue Wonder
  • Calvin and Hobbes 1: Thereby Hangs a Tale
  • School is Hell
  • In Search of The Far Side
  • May the Force Be With Us, Please: A FoxTrot Collection
  • 50 Weitere Streiche Und Abenteuer
  • Little Nemo: 1905-1914
  • World of Warcraft: Ultimate Visual Guide
  • The Art of Blizzard Entertainment
  • Amphigorey Too (Amphigorey, #2)
  • The Boondocks: Public Enemy #2
  • Art: A Brief History
Chas Addams was a cartoonist best known for creating "The Addams Family" comic characters which have been adapted for a variety of media. His signature style was single panels of macabre humor.
More about Charles Addams...