Start by marking “Why Dogs Do That: A Collection of Curious Canine Behaviors” as Want to Read:
Why Dogs Do That: A Collection of Curious Canine Behaviors

Why Dogs Do That: A Collection of Curious Canine Behaviors

3.45  ·  Rating Details  ·  38 Ratings  ·  6 Reviews
Why do dogs bury bones? Why do they circle before lying down? Why do dogs chase cars? Or their tails? These and more than 30 other canine behavioral questions are informatively and lightheartedly answered in this handsomely illustrated book. 40 pencil illustrations.
Published June 22nd 1998 by Willow Creek Press

To ask other readers questions about Why Dogs Do That, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Why Dogs Do That

Alyssa
Feb 09, 2014 Alyssa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books
I thought that Why Dogs Do That by Tom Davis was a helpful and interesting way for me to learn more about adult dogs and puppies. I have two dogs that live with me and I really needed to know why dogs chase cars or their tails and this book tells you the answer to both of those questions and so many more. I recommend this book to people who need to know why their dog eats grass or any other questions you have about dogs. This book also has some very interesting and cute pictures of puppies and a ...more
Andree Sanborn
I wanted to give this five stars but simply couldn't. As a new dog owner, I wanted and needed to learn as much possible about dogs. There are fascinating tidbits, such as the origin of Alaskan sled dogs and other breeds. And the information about the word quarry ("derives from a French term for the ritual distribution of tidbits from slain prey to the dogs that participated in its capture") is something which I enjoyed learning.

However, the book simply was not as thorough and deep as I wanted i
Skyqueen
Oct 21, 2015 Skyqueen rated it liked it
Short. Entertaining. I learned a few things.
Genetically speaking dogs are identical to wolves from which they are descended.
There are no genetic "markers" that enable scientists to tell one breed from another.
And above all, I agree with his statement: It is also why the dog, of all the creatures that inhibit this chaotic ark, is the one most surely infused by the spark of the divine.
And. . . they are the finest and most inherently noble being on the face of this earth.
Alaine
Apr 30, 2016 Alaine rated it did not like it
Outdated and annoying.
Andrew
Jan 04, 2008 Andrew rated it liked it
Recommends it for: dog people
A basic questions and answer book, but provides some interesting insight to the wiring of dogs. Behaviors, instincts, etc. Know why dogs circle before lying down? It's because in prior generations, they tended to sleep outside and have to trample down grass or hay to lie in...Things like that.
Hilary
Oct 02, 2013 Hilary rated it liked it
Recommends it for: anyone and everyond even if they don't have a puppy dog themselves
Recommended to Hilary by: purchased at the library
a fun read, logical answers, cute
Justin Davila
Justin Davila rated it really liked it
Jun 27, 2016
Chris
Chris marked it as to-read
Jun 13, 2016
Erica
Erica rated it liked it
Apr 24, 2016
Janie Peery
Janie Peery rated it really liked it
Jan 22, 2016
Bon
Bon marked it as to-read
Dec 17, 2015
Alice Rowen
Alice Rowen rated it liked it
Dec 03, 2015
Marcia D Barabash
Marcia D Barabash rated it it was amazing
Nov 07, 2015
Eli Zakarian
Eli Zakarian marked it as to-read
Oct 12, 2015
Coco & Bambi
Coco & Bambi marked it as to-read
Jul 17, 2015
Jan Sandberg
Jan Sandberg rated it really liked it
Jul 14, 2015
Adam Schulz
Adam Schulz rated it really liked it
Oct 11, 2015
Holly Merrigan
Holly Merrigan rated it it was amazing
Jun 22, 2015
Eileen Murray
Eileen Murray marked it as to-read
Jun 05, 2015
Rebecca
Rebecca rated it really liked it
Jun 01, 2015
Crushi
Crushi rated it it was ok
Jan 24, 2015
Lauren Trent
Lauren Trent rated it really liked it
Dec 27, 2014
Veru
Veru added it
Sep 30, 2014
Lilly Baird
Lilly Baird rated it liked it
Sep 13, 2014
Julie Ann
Julie Ann rated it it was amazing
Jul 02, 2014
Marilyn
Marilyn marked it as to-read
Jun 29, 2014
Christy
Christy rated it really liked it
May 15, 2014