Start by marking “Why Dogs Do That: A Collection of Curious Canine Behaviors” as Want to Read:
Why Dogs Do That: A Collection of Curious Canine Behaviors

Why Dogs Do That: A Collection of Curious Canine Behaviors

3.52 of 5 stars 3.52  ·  rating details  ·  33 ratings  ·  5 reviews
Why do dogs bury bones? Why do they circle before lying down? Why do dogs chase cars? Or their tails? These and more than 30 other canine behavioral questions are informatively and lightheartedly answered in this handsomely illustrated book. 40 pencil illustrations.
Published June 22nd 1998 by Willow Creek Press

To ask other readers questions about Why Dogs Do That, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Why Dogs Do That

I thought that Why Dogs Do That by Tom Davis was a helpful and interesting way for me to learn more about adult dogs and puppies. I have two dogs that live with me and I really needed to know why dogs chase cars or their tails and this book tells you the answer to both of those questions and so many more. I recommend this book to people who need to know why their dog eats grass or any other questions you have about dogs. This book also has some very interesting and cute pictures of puppies and a ...more
I wanted to give this five stars but simply couldn't. As a new dog owner, I wanted and needed to learn as much possible about dogs. There are fascinating tidbits, such as the origin of Alaskan sled dogs and other breeds. And the information about the word quarry ("derives from a French term for the ritual distribution of tidbits from slain prey to the dogs that participated in its capture") is something which I enjoyed learning.

However, the book simply was not as thorough and deep as I wanted i
Short. Entertaining. I learned a few things.
Genetically speaking dogs are identical to wolves from which they are descended.
There are no genetic "markers" that enable scientists to tell one breed from another.
And above all, I agree with his statement: It is also why the dog, of all the creatures that inhibit this chaotic ark, is the one most surely infused by the spark of the divine.
And. . . they are the finest and most inherently noble being on the face of this earth.
Jan 04, 2008 Andrew rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: dog people
A basic questions and answer book, but provides some interesting insight to the wiring of dogs. Behaviors, instincts, etc. Know why dogs circle before lying down? It's because in prior generations, they tended to sleep outside and have to trample down grass or hay to lie in...Things like that.
Oct 02, 2013 Hilary rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone and everyond even if they don't have a puppy dog themselves
Recommended to Hilary by: purchased at the library
a fun read, logical answers, cute
Eli Zakarian
Eli Zakarian marked it as to-read
Oct 12, 2015
Coco & Bambi
Coco & Bambi marked it as to-read
Jul 17, 2015
Eileen Murray
Eileen Murray marked it as to-read
Jun 05, 2015
Veru added it
Sep 30, 2014
Marilyn marked it as to-read
Jun 29, 2014
Michy marked it as to-read
Jan 08, 2014
Jen marked it as to-read
Nov 27, 2013