Start by marking “The Gospel According to Sydney Welles” as Want to Read:
The Gospel According to Sydney Welles

The Gospel According to Sydney Welles

3.62  ·  Rating Details  ·  99 Ratings  ·  15 Reviews
Elizabeth Gilbert meets Jennifer Weiner in this hilarious comedy of errors starring resident Los Angeleno Sydney Welles. Sydney seems to have it all—a lucrative career, a comfortable life, and a man who looks good on paper—until the Catholic Church, looking to repair some serious image problems, approaches the ad agency she works for to create a positive campaign. Sydney, ...more
Published June 26th 2007 by Bloomsbury USA

To ask other readers questions about The Gospel According to Sydney Welles, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Gospel According to Sydney Welles

Eloisa
Jun 23, 2009 Eloisa rated it it was amazing
The best book to read on a bad day.
Susi Rajah is witty and her one-liners (especially on god) are quotable.
Jonna
Feb 24, 2010 Jonna rated it did not like it
I began this book hoping to be amused, but gave up halfway through. Perhaps it's just my current mood, and I'll laugh next time, but it just seemed trite!
Marissa Joyce
Jul 13, 2010 Marissa Joyce rated it really liked it
Sydney is one of the smartest, most independent, and most honest women I have come across in a while. Wish we could get drinks together one night! :D
RJ McGill
Nov 10, 2007 RJ McGill rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: anyone
Shelves: reviewed
Sidney Welles is assigned the Catholic Church image overhaul campaign and sets out to give the church a face lift of sorts…what ensues is a hilarious stumble through questions of faith, love and self discovery.

Susi Rajah’s solo debut has proven beyond the shadow of a doubt that contemporary literature or Chic Lit can be thought provoking and outrageously funny without requiring the reader to check their common sense and intellect at the door.

Sydney Welles was one of those career women that seeme
Marjanne
Sep 01, 2007 Marjanne rated it liked it
Recommends it for: females looking for light reading
I was really expecting a lot of fluff out of this book, and I was pleasantly surprised. By no means is this book serious, but it was kind of cute and fun. It was a tad predictable, though not in any really annoying way. Anyone who reads this should have some tolerance for a little language (not too much) and the accepted stages of American relationships. Beware, though, the author has some funny ideas about Mormons.
Michelle
Jun 23, 2010 Michelle rated it really liked it
A friend wrote this book and I love her and this creative story. It's set in the world of advertising and follows the life of Sydney Welles asking God various things...it makes you think yet entertains at the same time. For anyone in the industry, it's a must-read.
Tawna Fenske
Jul 15, 2011 Tawna Fenske rated it it was amazing
Hilariously funny! This is one of my favorite books.
Vanessa / Little Gold Pixel
Sydney works in advertising in L.A. and has a hard time believing in anything. Enter the Catholic Church, which wants to hire her ad firm to help its image. Also, enter a relationship she may or may not be ready for.

I enjoyed the wit of this novel, all very tongue-in-cheek and sarcastic. Plus there are the funny emails/letters to God, all offering a little more than the typical chick-lit book in terms of thinking points. I fully believed that this book took place in L.A.; I've encountered most
Danielle
Feb 03, 2011 Danielle rated it it was ok
Funny, well written, with great pacing, characters, and dialogue. I stopped reading because the content was a little too adult for my tastes (which run decidedly PG) and also the blasphemy factor was a turn-off for me.
Alexis
Jan 27, 2008 Alexis rated it liked it
Recommended to Alexis by: my mom
Definitely chic-lit, but I was pleasantly surprised. By no means will this book win any awards, but it was kind ofcute and fun. I even found myself laughing out loud in parts.
Audrey
Mar 19, 2011 Audrey rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Light comedic fare written in a very engaging voice.
Wendy
Feb 07, 2008 Wendy rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: single ladies in LA
a light, amusing book about dating in LA
Rachel Anne
Dec 06, 2012 Rachel Anne rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
This book is amazing. Very relatable. Read it.
Samantha
Jul 30, 2007 Samantha rated it liked it
Interesting chicklit.
S Ward
S Ward rated it liked it
Jun 01, 2016
Kary
Kary rated it it was amazing
Apr 03, 2016
Alr132
Alr132 marked it as to-read
Feb 24, 2016
Kelsey
Kelsey rated it really liked it
Jan 25, 2016
Bobbie N
Bobbie N rated it really liked it
Feb 10, 2016
Cheryl
Cheryl rated it it was amazing
Jan 09, 2016
Andi Zumbrum
Andi Zumbrum rated it it was amazing
Oct 21, 2015
Mallory
Mallory marked it as to-read
Jun 15, 2015
Kelli
Kelli is currently reading it
May 25, 2015
Hiral Gandhi
Hiral Gandhi rated it really liked it
Jan 11, 2016
Goddess Of Blah
Goddess Of Blah rated it it was amazing
May 10, 2015
Cece
Cece marked it as to-read
Jan 05, 2015