Practical Demonkeeping

Practical Demonkeeping (Pine Cove #1)

3.8 of 5 stars 3.80  ·  rating details  ·  27,108 ratings  ·  1,071 reviews

In Christopher Moore's ingenious debut novel, we meet one of the most memorably mismatched pairs in the annals of literature. The good-looking one is one-hundred-year-old ex-seminarian and "roads" scholar Travis O'Hearn. The green one is Catch, a demon with a nasty habit of eating most of the people he meets. Behind the fake Tudor façade of Pine Cove, California, Catch see

Published (first published 1992)

To ask other readers questions about Practical Demonkeeping, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Practical Demonkeeping

Erin
holy crap,
this book. was. bad.

so effing bad there must be a logical explanation for it. the logical explanation is: christopher moore, you used to be a very stinky writer. i'm not sure what happened between "practical demonkeeping" and "a dirty job", but i'm guessing it was nothing short of an earth quaking, baby shaking, holy sweet mother of pearl miracle.

all the raw elements are there. the slightly deranged yet interesting menagerie of characters, the twisting, intercoursed plot lines, a cou...more
Barks & Bites
I'm rereading this on audio because I desperately needed a laugh but even this book isn't doing it. Might it be because I've already heard all of the punchlines and I need more snark? I don't know. It's mildly entertaining but has some dull moments and too many long moments of explanation and I find myself drifting away all too often.

My impressions when I initially read it:
This is a quirky book about a young priest-in-training who unwittingly commands a demon into existence that gives him immort...more
Josh
This is the first Moore book that I have read, and I have to say, I am a fan. I've read a lot of Tom Robbins (Jitterbug Perfume, Still Life With Woodpecker) and his style is very similar, but more straightforward I think. And just as funny. I haven't laughed so hard at a book in a long time.
The premise is fairly simple... A young man, Travis, conjurs a demon on accident while cleaning the accolyte candles at a Catholic church. He is stuck with the demon, who does not have to tell him how he can...more
DJ Harris
Mar 27, 2013 DJ Harris rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone with a sense of humor!
Kick back and curl up with this well written and light hearted book that will definitely give your funny bone a work out! This book is a very fast read, Christopher Moore's tale is not only captivating but will leave you laughing! You just have to love Christopher Moore's morbid humor.

Practical Demon Keeping by Christopher Moore

Having read Bloodsucking Fiends by Christopher Moore, I figured this book would be just as hilarious, and it is comparable, but not the same. This is a great story, has an interesting plot, and has very memorable...more
Wart Hill
Fuck.

I love you, Christopher Moore, and your cracktastic brain and the weird shit that comes out of it, winds up on the page, and then gets published so I can read the shit out of it because Fuck. Yes.

This book his hilarious and fun and wonderful and ridiculous.

So. Yes.
Venkat Satya
Wickedly funny. That's the term I'm searching for. This book with its winos, pagans, wrinkled-prune Djinn, and hungry demon is wickedly funny.
vicki_girl
This was my first Chistopher Moore book. I had heard mixed reviews about his works, and wasn't sure if I would like them. However, when I saw the title Lamb The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal, I just had to see what this guy was about. I prefer to start at the beginning and work my way through an author chronologically. So I picked up a copy of Practical Demonkeeping.

Practical Demonkeeping definitely reads like a first novel. The story line rambled a bit, and sometimes felt a l...more
 Linda (Miss Greedybooks)
My first Moore book, his first also. I loved it! Later, Lamb took over as favorite, but this one is still fondly remembered.

The jacket caught my imagination: "Okay, Stephen King, Douglas Adams, and H.P. Lovecraft go to a Frank Capra movie (It's a wonderful life). Thus inspired they write a book..." Well, I'm in, let's go! And a great trip to Pine Cove it is.

Catch a demon of the 27th order, meaning in the hierarchy of hell he is far below archdemons like the master of avarice, but far above the...more
Bandit
This was an absolute delight of a fairy tale for adults. Demons, djinns, adventures, magic and moral included. With a side of mayhem and homicide by devouring. I've read Moore before and liked him, it was nice to see that he was this good out of the gate as this debut proves. Maybe not as much laugh out loud funny as Dirty Job or Fool, but just as fun, imaginative, clever, humorous and entertaining as only Christopher Moore can do. Highly recommended.
Sara O
Jan 30, 2008 Sara O rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: EVERYONE!
This is the first time that I've actually read a whole book in one day. It was just so flippin' funny I couldn't put it down!
Cid Tyer
I think I have an issue getting through the first chapter in any Moore book, save Lamb. I read the first chapter and almost gave the book up as a lost cause, but a stressful day had me reaching into my bag for it and I'm glad I finished it. I like how Moore weaves together multiple characters and events, including sometimes silly, pointless side lines of things that happen as a result of the plot. His characters are always diverse, interesting things, and often times display attributes true to p...more
Tung
This is the third book by Moore that I have read (after Lamb and the Stupidest Angel), but chronologically it is Moore’s first published work. The story takes place in Moore’s oft-used fictional town of Pine Cove, CA. A stranger rolls into town bringing with him an invisible demon named Catch. Over the course of the story we find out that the stranger (a man named Travis) is trying to rid himself of Catch, while at the same time Catch is trying to rid himself of his master Travis. This plotline...more
TC
Although this is not one of Christopher Moore's funniest books in my opinion, it definitely has its moments. Practical Demonkeeping is another fun and twisted romp with the perverse author of Dirty Job and Fool who crafts great quirky characters to carry his stories. Mavis, the bar owner from Stupidest Angel is here, as is Detective Rivera from Dirty Job and Moore's vampire novels. (I particularly enjoyed the way Mavis answers the phone in the bar: "Garden of Eden, Snake speaking.")
P.D. is one o...more
11811 (Eleven)
3.5 stars. Check out the audio book if you can. The demon sounds just like Cookie Monster and that alone kept me laughing through this one. It isn't the masterpiece that is Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal but it's still pretty damn funny.
Irena
I should stop paying attention to how a book is labelled on Goodreads or elsewhere.

Is it entertaining? Yes, it is. There are parts that will make you laugh out loud. If you laughed when Monty Python white bunny appeared in Monty Python and the Holy Grail then there is something for you here. Unfortunately, scenes like that are pretty rare. Other things got more attention. It is worth reading the book if only for those moments.

What I didn't like the most is the resolution. Not everyone got what...more
Heather
I marked this read because I read most of it. I just got to a point where I put it down and never got the oomph to pick it back up. It just wasn't holding my interest.
Granted, this is Moore's first book, but really, I think it's a good example of how I feel about his work in general sometimes. That is to say, a great idea with some genuinely funny bits thrown in, but overall, not so great in execution. There are lots of things I'm clearly supposed to think are hilariously dark and witty, but of...more
Cathy
I can't believe that was his first book! It was great, a perfect mix between absurd humor and urban fantasy, but in a laid-back California style. The wordplay is delicious, as is the imagery. I didn't really get the thing with the owl at the end, but the rest was pretty great. I also really enjoyed it as an audio book. And I finished it faster than any other audiobook I've listened to, I kept putting it on in the house instread of just in the car!
David "proud member of Branwen's adventuring party"
HYSTERICALLY FUNNY!!! I lost count of how many times I had to pause reading because I was laughing so hard! Christopher Moore’s writing reminds me movies like “Blazing Saddles” and “Airplane”…he actually manages to tell a story in between all the insanity! Recommend to anyone looking for a good laugh!

Joseph Gowen
Another funny, well-written book by Christopher Moore. In his debut novel, he introduces characters and places that keep popping up throughout his following novels, but never in conspicuous ways. I just love seeing how his different characters' lives touch and interconnect.
Kathleen
More fun on the rampage from Christopher Moore.
Yael
As it turned out, this is Christopher Moore's debut novel, setting the stage for his other novels. It's a magnificent novel, by turns hilarious, terrifying, heartwarming, and outrageous. Like his The Stupidest Angel Version 2.0, I had real trouble putting it down to eat, sleep, and get on with things.

It's very clear from this novel and his others that Mr. Moore has a genuine fondness for his characters. He presents them just as they are, with all their flaws and virtues evident to the reader, in...more
Nicholas Karpuk
It's very hard for me to go below 3 stars when the book isn't boring and does not greatly offend me.

As with the other books of his that I've read, Moore loses out on a higher score mostly because of deeply lazy stabs at humor he takes. Most obnoxious is the hotel worker pretending to be a woman on the internet. While it may have been slightly less well-worn territory back in the mid-90's, it still wouldn't have been funny. Moore has the sort of humor that aims low, even for the height he thinks...more
Tabitha
Aside from the fact that the end felt a little anticlimactic to me I really enjoyed this book. There were places where the writing was a little odd and confusing, like the phrasing was off or something, but otherwise I found it a pleasant read that I couldn't put down. At one point I actually made myself put it down so I wouldn't finish it too fast. This was a book that I laughed a good deal at too. The humor in it was nice, and the witty stuff was done really well -- even giving me a vibe of St...more
Rach
Eh. I mean, I still like Christopher Moore, and think his stuff is funny and slightly shocking, but this book in particular felt really dated. I know, it was published 20 years ago, and so some technical differences are to be expected, but it continually threw me for a loop when people would call each other at home and leave messages on their voicemail. Oh yeah! No cell phones! It's not like I've never read a book where people didn't have cell phones, because clearly I have. It's more so that th...more
Fletcher Best
While it provided some entertainment, I felt that the title was extremely misleading. What little demonkeeping information there was could hardly be considered practical! Let potential readers beware that this book is essentially devoid of any useful information on the care and raising of demons. There are far better books on the subject, particularly if you are fluent in Latin or Aramaic.

In addition to the misleading title, this is my least favorite of Christopher Moore's books. Of course, it...more
Madeleine
If this were written by anyone else, I'd probably give "Practical Demonkeeping" four stars. If this had been the first time I read anything of Moore's, I'd probably give it four stars. But seeing as this is the first novel he's written and the fourth of his I've read, I know how much better he becomes as he gets a few more books under his belt.

All the telltale marks of Moore are fabulously apparent: Well-turned phrases, otherworldly understatement (Moore is one of the few times I appreciate unde...more
Steve Lowe
Well, more like 3.5 stars... a solid read, nothing too exciting or groundbreaking, but considering this was Moore's first novel, not bad. Enjoyable and funny.

Of Moore's work, I read A DIRTY JOB first and really dug it, then subsequently picked up FOOL and LAMB and didn't make past the halfway point with either one. They weren't bad, they just didn't hold my interest, nor have I had a desire to return to them. DEMONKEEPING is closer to DIRTY JOB in terms of style and tone, a similar, lighthearted...more
Kevin
Be careful what you wish for. And while you're at it, be careful what you wish for when you don't even realize that you're making a wish. If only Travis O'Hearn had received this gem of advice before being saddled with Catch, a demon he inadvertently freed from the bowels of Hell and is now stuck with for eternity. Sure, he's gotten used to Catch's human munching ways and effectively disappearing from wherever they might be very quickly. But it's a hassle. And Travis would rather just settle dow...more
Kristen
This novel was a surprisingly quick read, it is short and although not action packed, it manages to keep your attention from beginning to end. The writing style is very casual and humorous, slightly vulgar but not so much as to gain an "R" rating or to turn off the casual reader. There are drugs, but they are not glorified, there is sex, but it is not explicit and there is profanity, but it is not overwhelming.

The story itself is simple enough, one man (Travis) is cursed with being the "Master"...more
Frank Ryan
A book that made me laugh out loud.

How would you like to have a homicidal demon named "Catch" in tow - an unwanted burden that likes to swallow people whole and one you would love to shift but if you do so you will age something like 90 years in one fell swoop? This is Travis's dilemma as he searches for a solution in the fake Tudor Californian town of Pine Cove. To his aid springs a bad-tempered genie, named Gian Hen Gian, and an elderly gentleman, Effrom Elliot, who dreams about women, thinks...more
  • Nuclear Jellyfish (Serge Storms, #11)
  • In the Company of Ogres
  • Pest Control
  • Skin Tight
  • Sibs
  • Death: A Life
  • Sewer, Gas and Electric: The Public Works Trilogy
  • Santa and Pete: A Novel of Christmas Present and Past
  • You Don't Have to Be Evil to Work Here, But it Helps
  • The Necromancer (Johannes Cabal, #1)

Christopher Moore (born 1957 in Toledo, Ohio) is an American writer of absurdist fiction. He grew up in Mansfield, OH, and attended Ohio State University and Brooks Institute of Photography in Santa Barbara, CA.

Moore's novels typically involve conflicted everyman characters...more
More about Christopher Moore...
Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal A Dirty Job (Grim Reaper, #1) Bloodsucking Fiends (A Love Story, #1) Fool You Suck (A Love Story, #2)

“If you think anyone is sane you just don't know enough about them.” 1179 likes