Start by marking “Lighting and the Dramatic Portrait: The Art of Celebrity and Editorial Photography” as Want to Read:

Michael Grecco is one of the best-known celebrity photographers in the world. His beautiful, insightful work is all around us--on movie posters, in advertising, on magazine covers, everywhere. “I delight in inspiring people,” he writes. “I want them to stop, think, and feel.” Now Grecco shares the secrets of great portraits with photographers at every level, in Lighting an ...more
Published November 1st 2006 by Amphoto Books (first published September 29th 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Lighting and the Dramatic Portrait, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lighting and the Dramatic Portrait

Tracy Canuck
Jan 12, 2014 Tracy Canuck rated it it was ok
Not sure whose ego is bigger, the subject or.....no, I'm pretty sure it is the photographer's.

It was interesting seeing the many famous people in poses I had never seen them in before. He explains the lighting and sometimes gets into the situational setup, which was the most interesting part of the book for me. He misspelled Colin Mochrie's name, though, so he lost another star for that.
Courtney
Sep 05, 2008 Courtney rated it really liked it
This has lots of fun information and great drawings (how-tos on the set-up, etc). A lot of this is lighting that I will probably never do myself, but it's fun to read the ins and outs of the BIG photography biz. I get a little tired of the hoohah from other books-- too rule driven-- but this guy tries new things all the time, which is a fun approach.
John
Sep 10, 2012 John rated it liked it
The stories of interacting with and getting access to celebrities is interesting, and the creative imagery is inspiring. The talk of gear and many of the popular personalities dates the book in a distracting way.
Al
May 09, 2008 Al rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Photographers
Shelves: been-read
Michael Grecco's book provides a lot of case studies with lighting setups, etc. which are useful for getting new ideas. This book was of particular interest to me since I have the same general lighting equipment that's in most of the setups.
sani
Jan 31, 2009 sani rated it liked it
I've been searching for this book for quite a while. I was even more intrigued after watching "Guerilla Shooting, Los Angeles" on youtube. To tell the whole truth,I was expecting more from this book.
Mom Philips
Mom Philips rated it really liked it
Jan 23, 2014
Dave
Dave rated it it was amazing
Mar 02, 2012
John Manuwal
John Manuwal rated it really liked it
Oct 14, 2015
Marco
Marco rated it really liked it
Feb 14, 2008
Stewart Bainbridge
Stewart Bainbridge rated it it was amazing
Aug 13, 2014
See-ming Lee
See-ming Lee rated it liked it
Aug 19, 2009
Karly
Karly rated it really liked it
Mar 17, 2008
Donald Handley
Donald Handley rated it it was amazing
Dec 28, 2014
Tyler Martin
Tyler Martin rated it really liked it
Mar 10, 2011
Howard Ki
Howard Ki rated it really liked it
Jan 22, 2015
Benjamin
Benjamin rated it really liked it
Sep 25, 2011
Rob
Rob rated it it was amazing
Sep 16, 2009
Sumrow
Sumrow rated it really liked it
Apr 29, 2015
Angela Premo
Angela Premo rated it it was amazing
Jun 06, 2015
Cliff
Cliff rated it liked it
Jun 19, 2014
Vicster
Vicster rated it really liked it
Mar 07, 2011
Emnozk
Emnozk rated it really liked it
Jan 05, 2012
Eugene Bogorad
Eugene Bogorad rated it it was amazing
Apr 18, 2014
Lloyd Barnes
Lloyd Barnes rated it really liked it
Jul 13, 2010
Jennifer Chushcoff
Jennifer Chushcoff rated it really liked it
Sep 15, 2009
David Li
David Li rated it really liked it
Feb 24, 2013
Ryan
Ryan rated it it was ok
Aug 05, 2009
Paul
Paul rated it really liked it
Jul 15, 2009
Treamo
Treamo rated it really liked it
Jun 26, 2012
Graham Bc
Graham Bc rated it liked it
Aug 04, 2016