Start by marking “Pakistan: In the Shadow of Jihad and Afghanistan” as Want to Read:
Pakistan: In the Shadow of Jihad and Afghanistan

Pakistan: In the Shadow of Jihad and Afghanistan

3.33 of 5 stars 3.33  ·  rating details  ·  72 ratings  ·  15 reviews
An eyewitness account by an acclaimed New Yorker reporter

Wedged between India and Afghanistan, Pakistan is the second-largest nation in the Islamic world, and is situated in what is currently one of the most volatile regions on earth. It has assumed a commanding role in militant Islam, a frightening portent being its creation of Afghanistan's bizarre fundamentalist stude
Library Binding, 317 pages
Published (first published October 20th 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Pakistan, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Pakistan

Michele Vincenzo Scrimenti
Pakistan seems to be a country America would care a lot about. Yet the place where US money, training and weapons merged with Arab extremists to give birth to al-Qaeda, the Taliban and international terrorists is not only misunderstood, it is completely ignored. "Pakistan" tells the story of a country that is, like Libya and other post-colonial states, more a combination of tribes and religious sects than a nation. Through interviews with everyone from Musharraf to Benazir Bhutto to the average ...more
Martin
This is the third consecutive book on Afghanistan/Pakistan/CIA/bin Laden I've read after a recommendation from my friend Naeem Inayatullah, who taught me international relations at Ithaca College. He is three-for-three.

Journalist Mary Anne Weaver takes you inside Pakistan's ferocious, turbulent politics with access to the most influential people in the country. She interviews everyone: Benazir Bhutto, Pervez Musharraf, and Islamist leaders who were once armed and funded by the CIA to kill commun
Scott
After learning about Afghanistan this book helped give me some context and history of the area that I had not taken into consideration. I ended up worrying more about the situation in Central Asia when I was given all the factors that she shares with us. In particular, Pakistan is not united since it has so many influences, Afghanistan, Iran, India, Balochistan, the military and the Taliban to name a few. I cannot even imagine methods of government for this country.

I was rather annoyed with all
David Wen
A very detailed book presenting the past and current (2003) status of the country of Pakistan. Wasn't a fan of how the events or chapters were organized since it wasn't chronological and were at times very hard to follow. Apparent US biases were evident as well.
Naeem
Mary Anne Weaver followed her husband to Cairo. For something to do, she enrolled at the American University of Cairo, where she ended up becoming friends with all kinds of women who later became wives to the elite of Egypt. This allowed her access to all kinds of situations.

She was able to interview all kinds of people whom we now call "Jihadists" -- long before 9/11.

Her two books reveal a kind of objective semi-empathy for her subject matter. She tries to write as if seeing the world from th
Jeremy
I was basically impressed with this book, which interwove interviews with history and analysis of contemporary Pakistan. I felt the book conveyed a few broad strokes about Pakistan's current political environment and offered a few genuinely useful sketches of important contemporary figures. My biggest concern is that I read the 2010 update (the book was written in 2003 and then presumably added to with some new material and reissued in 2010) and it ended up feeling dated in certain sections both ...more
Brian
Despite an anti-American bias from the outset, and an extensive list of famous but now dead Pakistanis she has met, the author was able to tell some interesting tales. Her descriptions of the Baloch people and of the Saudi Falcon hunters were intriguing. Overall though, the book was limited in scope to only the people she interviewed over many years and does not tell that much about the country.
Recato Cristiano
I bought this book because it was on special. Not really something I am interested in. But I was hooked from the first sentence.

A woman that experiences the Muslim culture and gives some insites into forbidden topics to our Western people.

Would have appreciated some photos.
Nate
It is your basic journalistic book depicting conversations and experiences leading to a political history that barely scratches the surface. It is good for an overall understanding of the current political situation in Pakistan and the major players.
Sjo
Memoir style perspective of Pakistani culture. Interesting on anecdotes, but light on linear history and the coverage of important historical events. Good entry point into the region.
Greynomad
Can the US ever get its act together.........from Vietnam to where ever its a never ending story of failure
Mark
Cursory introduction into Pakistan's shaddy minterfering in it's neighbors business.
Alexis
Pakistan: In the Shadow of Jihad and Afghanistan by Mary Anne Weaver (2002)
Mia
An interesting overview of the many influences on Pakistan's recent history.
Wee Cheng
Wee Cheng is currently reading it
Jun 01, 2015
Artyom Timeyev
Artyom Timeyev marked it as to-read
May 27, 2015
Sarah Swernofsky
Sarah Swernofsky marked it as to-read
Apr 27, 2015
Sukanta
Sukanta is currently reading it
Apr 19, 2015
Janus
Janus marked it as to-read
Apr 18, 2015
Matt Wallace
Matt Wallace marked it as to-read
Mar 26, 2015
Mehboob
Mehboob marked it as to-read
Mar 17, 2015
Jonna Rose
Jonna Rose marked it as to-read
Jan 30, 2015
Vikas Singh
Vikas Singh marked it as to-read
Jan 03, 2015
Matthew Trevithick
Matthew Trevithick marked it as to-read
Dec 15, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
A Portrait of Egypt: A Journey Through the World of Militant Islam Pakistan: Deep Inside the World's Most Frightening State