Start by marking “Fair is the Rose” as Want to Read:
Fair is the Rose

Fair is the Rose (Van Alen Sisters #2)

3.77  ·  Rating Details  ·  451 Ratings  ·  32 Reviews
The beauty behind the black veil...

Christal Van Alen was wanted from Maine to Missouri. Swathed in widow's weeds, she was running to Wyoming Territory...when the outlaw, Macaulay Cain, captured their stagecoach, and the aristocratic New Yorker was prisoner again. She couldn't trust the infamous outlaw; she couldn't share her real name or her secret past. Yet he was her onl
Mass Market Paperback, 386 pages
Published November 1993 by Island Books

To ask other readers questions about Fair is the Rose, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fair is the Rose

KatieV
This was a great sequel to Lions And Lace. The setting was totally different, but equally as interesting. Lions and Lace took place in post-Civil War New York high society while Fair is the Rose took place out west where Crystal had fled to avoid her evil uncle from the first book. (She was the younger sister of the h in Lions and Lace)

The hero was pretty delicious. He was an ex Confederate soldier with a lot of emotional baggage. The experience had made him hard, but not mean. He was totally in
Misfit
Jan 20, 2014 Misfit rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Let's start off with the stepback courtesy of saturnalia:

Fair is the Rose is a follow up to McKinney's Lions And Lace, although it can be read as a stand-alone. As the book starts, Christal Van Alen has been on the run from the law for about three years, after escaping from the insane asylum her uncle put her in after she allegedly murdered her parents (it's too hard to explain it all without spoiling). Anyhoo, she's currently dressed in widow's weeds and in Wyoming Territory when the stage coac
Naksed
Noelle
I really loved this book,it was a fun read!

Crystal (h) is on the run, she escaped the asylum in New York were she was being held for years after wrongly accused and convicted of murdering her parents. She has been traveling as a widow and working hard to earn and save enough money to someday return to New York, hire a lawyer and prove her innocence.

Macaulay Cain (H) has just survived a hanging, how many outlaws can say that?? Now he's on the run with a ruthless gang and though he's not the name
mrssmithmachine
"Yes, I love you." The answer and, more so, his delivery caught her by surprise. He used the same tone as when he cursed. She looked up. Her gaze locked with his. His eyes were angry and crystalline cold. "Don't ever ask me that question again."

BAM! I adore Macaulay Cain. Dare I say he's my favorite hero yet? He's crude, rude, a scoundrel, and utterly and completely in love with Christal. He will stop at nothing to protect her and win her love.

Alright, I should back it up a little. Christal is o
Mayu

Pues bien, Fugitiva es la segunda parte de Encajes y pecados, pero en vez de estar protagonizada por Alice Diana (Alana) y Sheridan Trevor está protagonizada por la hermana desaparecida de Alana, y un guerrero pecaminoso. Así que en esta novela, aunque será breve, nos reencontraremos con ellos, y veremos como les va la vida.

description

Seré clara, no me gusta esta escritora, he leído ya varios libros de ella, pero no logro verle nada especial. Todo el mundo la alaba mucho pero a mi no me despierta nada, su
Jane Stewart
2 stars. Heroine was no fun to watch. She was a wimp, a weak victim with feelings of desperation throughout the book.

STORY BRIEF:
Christal’s parents were wealthy. Her uncle killed them, accused her, and had her placed in an asylum. She escaped and has been on the run working as a waitress and selling dances. Her uncle wants her dead. Christal is riding in a stage coach. An outlaw gang takes her and other passengers as hostages to collect ransom money. Cain is a member of the gang. The story is a
Regan Walker
May 11, 2012 Regan Walker rated it really liked it
4 and 1/2 Stars: Wonderful Wyoming Historical with Great Twists and Turns!

I am a huge fan of McKinney’s historical romances, but this was my first Western romance by her. I was not disappointed and I don’t think you will be either.

Set in 1875, this second in the Van Alan sisters duology tells the story of Christal Van Alan, who was raised as a prominent Knickerbocker of Manhattan until the day she was accused of a terrible crime she didn’t commit. Three years on the run, she finally flees to Wyo
Water
Feb 22, 2012 Water rated it it was amazing
Love, love, love this book! This is the sequel to McKinney's novel "Lions and Lace", and it's much, much better. Christal Van Alen is on the run when the "outlaw" Macaulay Cain kidnaps her. There's more than meets the eye, however, for both Christal and Macaulay. Neither are who they seem to be. The sparks fly in this novel. It's a great love story. This is McKinney at her best!
Melanie
I enjoyed this book, but not as much as Lions and Lace.. IMO, the first half was better than the second, but there wasn't enough angst to make it as wonderful as Alana's story.. I did however enjoy Macaulay:-) 3.5 - 4 stars
Zoe
Jul 07, 2015 Zoe rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this book many years later after I read Lion and Lace, the first Van Alan Sisters story. I like Alana, the first book, much better than Fair is the Rose.

The writing is very good. Plots are ok. Hero is a US marshall but was doing undercover playing a villain when he met the heroin. Instant attraction and a fake rape and of course hero tried to protect the heroin. Heroin runs away because of her past, hides in another town and hero comes after her.

I cannot quite pinpoint my dissatisfactino
Nikel27
good read
Cherise
Oct 10, 2013 Cherise rated it it was ok
Shelves: western
Not sure about this one. No idea if it is just that I am not in the mood or I just don't click with the author. I know there are scenes that are supposed to stir.me but I just cannot be invested enough in the characters to bother.

The first part I love. I suspected what will pan out but I do adore the living in the enemy camp thrill, the H is protective of the h right from the start and he is he typical dark and brooding type that I love. Same with another reader, I have a huge problem with the h
Cristina
I kind of wished there would've been an epilogue. Nonetheless, a great story!
Alba_Turunen
May 03, 2016 Alba_Turunen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Una muy buena novela con una heroína fuerte e independiente que no se deja avasallar por los hombres. El primer libro de la serie "Encajes y pecados" me encantó, me enganchó desde la primera página. "Fugitiva" no me ha enganchado tanto como el primero, pero tiene algo especial. Un protagonista encantador y decidido, y una heroína que ha pasado por lo peor de la vida y no tiene nada que perder salvo su vida.
El final ha sido precioso.
Amanda Sheila
I liked it.

Even though the atmosphere between first book and this one's quite different, I still liked it. Though it's not exactly my favorite.

Christabel didn't really get big portion in the first book, so I didn't really know her back then. But apparently she's a strong girl. I don't really like Cain though, he's a bit scary. But overall I enjoyed reading this book. :)
Tango
May 08, 2013 Tango rated it really liked it
Recommended to Tango by: Sweetie
A good solid "(good) guy gets (traumatized) girl" story. Some good "chuckle" bits; a very little "family drama" involving an evil uncle; and a "happily ever after." Not quite a page-turner, but kept me going as I read to my wife.
Smita Magar
I am dying to read this book...
have been searching for like years!
Asmi has been trying to send the book from US but, taking too long...if anybody has this book...would love to borrow for time being...:)
Star
May 15, 2012 Star rated it really liked it
3.5-4 stars

Liked how it started the action from the beginning. Interesting enough hold my interest even though it's a fluffy romance novel.
Sep 12, 2012 Jennifer rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the way I like my books- so immersed in the characters and storyline it takes me a day to read. I loved this book!
Chantal Main
Mar 06, 2016 Chantal Main rated it liked it
Not as good as the first. I was very disappointed.
Lizzy
Jul 29, 2013 Lizzy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favoritos, review, 2013
A continuação de Lions and Lace é maravilhosa.
Desde o primeiro livro fiquei ansiosa em conhecer o destino de Christabel Van Alen, a jovem herdeira de Nova Iorque que foi acusada injustamente de ter assassinado seus pais. O verdadeiro criminoso, seu tio, conseguiu manipular as circunstâncias e a manteve interna em um manicômio, até o dia em que Christal recorda todos os fatos que sua mente havia ocultado e consegue fugir da instituição para o oeste.
Três anos se passam sem que ela consiga provar s
Madeiny
Nov 23, 2014 Madeiny rated it liked it
The first book of this series was lovely, but this one on the other hand... Just didnt work for me, kind of boring to tell you the tuth, and I really wanted to like it so thats even more sad and it usually makes you even more dissapointed, when you want to like something but you just dont :(
Anyway, Ill be denifitely looking for other books from this author.
Patricia
Nice enough

This is a nice enough story. It has a good plot, and some wonderful characters. It is Aldo somewhat uneven, and has a few spots where the storyline gets a bit confused. However, the author must get special credit for getting at least part of the anatomy of the country right. The Wind River country is a special sort of world.
Feb 01, 2016 Sarah rated it really liked it
I read this book for the first time when I was 12 years old (yeah we didn't have YA back then lol). My copy is worn, dogeared and well loved. It is a book that I've loved enough to keep with me despite multiple moves and relocations. It a sweet love story that is easy to read, and I've always enjoyed reading and re-reading again and again.
Rexana
Jun 02, 2016 Rexana rated it really liked it
Fun western romance. "The outlaw meets the innocent high society girl and rescues her" type of feel.
Kate
Mar 22, 2015 Kate rated it liked it
I kind of hate myself for liking this book as much as I did?
Susan (the other Susan)
It's been a while, but I recall liking this more than the angstier offerings by this author. If you're gonna get kidnapped by a gang of stagecoach robbers, it's got to be a relief that one of them is a hunk with a protective streak.
Being Human
Dec 14, 2012 Being Human rated it liked it
Shelves: 2012-read
the book was wonderfully written..smooth flowing story line....a good read...but somehow i couldn't find any profound chemistry between H&h!
Rachel C.
May 12, 2008 Rachel C. rated it liked it
Shelves: pop-fic-romance
Historical / western romance. I liked the characters and the writing was decent but westerns just aren't my cup of tea.
  • Embrace and Conquer
  • Bride of the Lion
  • Tears of Gold
  • My Lord Conqueror
  • Gypsy Lord (Garrick, #1)
  • Night Wind's Woman (Santa Fe Trilogy, #1)
  • First Love Wild Love
  • Conor's Way
  • Fancy
  • To Love a Dark Lord
  • Deceive Not My Heart (Louisiana, #3)
  • Love, Cherish Me (Aguilar's Fate, #1)
  • Magic Embrace
  • Forbidden Love
  • Lie Down In Roses
  • Rules of War (Rules of War, #1)
  • Edin's Embrace
  • Under the Desert Moon
Ruth Leslie Goodman Roberson, well-known as Meagan McKinney gave up a thriving career as a biologist to become a full-time romance writer. She is author of over 20 critically acclaimed novels. Divorced, she lives with her two children in in New Orleans, Louisiana.
More about Meagan McKinney...

Van Alen Sisters (2 books)
  • Lions and Lace (Van Alen Sisters #1)