Start by marking “Fair is the Rose” as Want to Read:
Fair is the Rose

Fair is the Rose (Van Alen Sisters #2)

3.75 of 5 stars 3.75  ·  rating details  ·  287 ratings  ·  23 reviews
The beauty behind the black veil...

Christal Van Alen was wanted from Maine to Missouri. Swathed in widow's weeds, she was running to Wyoming Territory...when the outlaw, Macaulay Cain, captured their stagecoach, and the aristocratic New Yorker was prisoner again. She couldn't trust the infamous outlaw; she couldn't share her real name or her secret past. Yet he was her onl
Mass Market Paperback, 386 pages
Published November 1993 by Island Books (first published April 1st 1993)

To ask other readers questions about Fair is the Rose, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fair is the Rose

KatieV
This was a great sequel to Lions And Lace. The setting was totally different, but equally as interesting. Lions and Lace took place in post-Civil War New York high society while Fair is the Rose took place out west where Crystal had fled to avoid her evil uncle from the first book. (She was the younger sister of the h in Lions and Lace)

The hero was pretty delicious. He was an ex Confederate soldier with a lot of emotional baggage. The experience had made him hard, but not mean. He was totally in
Misfit
Let's start off with the stepback courtesy of saturnalia:

Fair is the Rose is a follow up to McKinney's Lions And Lace, although it can be read as a stand-alone. As the book starts, Christal Van Alen has been on the run from the law for about three years, after escaping from the insane asylum her uncle put her in after she allegedly murdered her parents (it's too hard to explain it all without spoiling). Anyhoo, she's currently dressed in widow's weeds and in Wyoming Territory when the stage coac
Katie
"Yes, I love you." The answer and, more so, his delivery caught her by surprise. He used the same tone as when he cursed. She looked up. Her gaze locked with his. His eyes were angry and crystalline cold. "Don't ever ask me that question again."

BAM! I adore Macaulay Cain. Dare I say he's my favorite hero yet? He's crude, rude, a scoundrel, and utterly and completely in love with Christal. He will stop at nothing to protect her and win her love.

Alright, I should back it up a little. Christal is o
Mayu

Pues bien, Fugitiva es la segunda parte de Encajes y pecados, pero en vez de estar protagonizada por Alice Diana (Alana) y Sheridan Trevor está protagonizada por la hermana desaparecida de Alana, y un guerrero pecaminoso. Así que en esta novela, aunque será breve, nos reencontraremos con ellos, y veremos como les va la vida.

description

Seré clara, no me gusta esta escritora, he leído ya varios libros de ella, pero no logro verle nada especial. Todo el mundo la alaba mucho pero a mi no me despierta nada, su
Jane Stewart
2 ½ stars. Heroine was no fun to watch. She was a wimp, a weak victim with feelings of desperation throughout the book.

STORY BRIEF:
Christal’s parents were wealthy. Her uncle killed them, accused her, and had her placed in an asylum. She escaped and has been on the run working as a waitress and selling dances. Her uncle wants her dead. Christal is riding in a stage coach. An outlaw gang takes her and other passengers as hostages to collect ransom money. Cain is a member of the gang. The story is
Noelle
I really loved this book,it was a fun read!

Crystal (h) is on the run, she escaped the asylum in New York were she was being held for years after wrongly accused and convicted of murdering her parents. She has been traveling as a widow and working hard to earn and save enough money to someday return to New York, hire a lawyer and prove her innocence.

Macaulay Cain (H) has just survived a hanging, how many outlaws can say that?? Now he's on the run with a ruthless gang and though he's not the name
Regan Walker
4 and 1/2 Stars: Wonderful Wyoming Historical with Great Twists and Turns!

I am a huge fan of McKinney’s historical romances, but this was my first Western romance by her. I was not disappointed and I don’t think you will be either.

Set in 1875, this second in the Van Alan sisters duology tells the story of Christal Van Alan, who was raised as a prominent Knickerbocker of Manhattan until the day she was accused of a terrible crime she didn’t commit. Three years on the run, she finally flees to Wyo
Water
Love, love, love this book! This is the sequel to McKinney's novel "Lions and Lace", and it's much, much better. Christal Van Alen is on the run when the "outlaw" Macaulay Cain kidnaps her. There's more than meets the eye, however, for both Christal and Macaulay. Neither are who they seem to be. The sparks fly in this novel. It's a great love story. This is McKinney at her best!
Melanie
I enjoyed this book, but not as much as Lions and Lace.. IMO, the first half was better than the second, but there wasn't enough angst to make it as wonderful as Alana's story.. I did however enjoy Macaulay:-) 3.5 - 4 stars
Cherise
Not sure about this one. No idea if it is just that I am not in the mood or I just don't click with the author. I know there are scenes that are supposed to stir.me but I just cannot be invested enough in the characters to bother.

The first part I love. I suspected what will pan out but I do adore the living in the enemy camp thrill, the H is protective of the h right from the start and he is he typical dark and brooding type that I love. Same with another reader, I have a huge problem with the h
Amanda Sheila
I liked it.

Even though the atmosphere between first book and this one's quite different, I still liked it. Though it's not exactly my favorite.

Christabel didn't really get big portion in the first book, so I didn't really know her back then. But apparently she's a strong girl. I don't really like Cain though, he's a bit scary. But overall I enjoyed reading this book. :)
Tango
A good solid "(good) guy gets (traumatized) girl" story. Some good "chuckle" bits; a very little "family drama" involving an evil uncle; and a "happily ever after." Not quite a page-turner, but kept me going as I read to my wife.
Smita
Jun 22, 2013 Smita added it
I am dying to read this book...
have been searching for like years!
Asmi has been trying to send the book from US but, taking too long...if anybody has this book...would love to borrow for time being...:)
Star
3.5-4 stars

Liked how it started the action from the beginning. Interesting enough hold my interest even though it's a fluffy romance novel.
This is the way I like my books- so immersed in the characters and storyline it takes me a day to read. I loved this book!
Lizzy
A continuação de Lions and Lace é maravilhosa.
Desde o primeiro livro fiquei ansiosa em conhecer o destino de Christabel Van Alen, a jovem herdeira de Nova Iorque que foi acusada injustamente de ter assassinado seus pais. O verdadeiro criminoso, seu tio, conseguiu manipular as circunstâncias e a manteve interna em um manicômio, até o dia em que Christal recorda todos os fatos que sua mente havia ocultado e consegue fugir da instituição para o oeste.
Três anos se passam sem que ela consiga provar s
Emei Pertiz
The first book of this series was lovely, but this one on the other hand... Just didn´t work for me, kind of boring to tell you the tuth, and I really wanted to like it so that´s even more sad and it usually makes you even more dissapointed, when you want to like something but you just don´t :(
Anyway, I´ll be denifitely looking for other books from this author.
Susan
It's been a while, but I recall liking this more than the angstier offerings by this author. If you're gonna get kidnapped by a gang of stagecoach robbers, it's got to be a relief that one of them is a hunk with a protective streak.
Being Human
the book was wonderfully written..smooth flowing story line....a good read...but somehow i couldn't find any profound chemistry between H&h!
Rachel C.
Historical / western romance. I liked the characters and the writing was decent but westerns just aren't my cup of tea.
Ana
Ana marked it as to-read
Nov 26, 2014
AlphaAmy
AlphaAmy marked it as to-read
Nov 17, 2014
Eileen
Eileen marked it as to-read
Nov 10, 2014
Moya Cole
Moya Cole marked it as to-read
Nov 10, 2014
Amanda
Amanda marked it as to-read
Nov 04, 2014
Priscilla
Priscilla marked it as to-read
Nov 01, 2014
  • Embrace and Conquer
  • Tears of Gold
  • Bride of the Lion
  • Gypsy Lord (Garrick, #1)
  • To Love a Dark Lord
  • Love, Cherish Me
  • Deceive Not My Heart
  • Night Wind's Woman (Santa Fe Trilogy, #1)
  • Lie Down In Roses
  • Forbidden Love
  • The Angel and the Prince
  • The Conqueror
  • Uncommon Vows
Ruth Leslie Goodman Roberson, well-known as Meagan McKinney gave up a thriving career as a biologist to become a full-time romance writer. She is author of over 20 critically acclaimed novels. Divorced, she lives with her two children in in New Orleans, Louisiana.
More about Meagan McKinney...
When Angels Fall Lions And Lace (Van Alen Sisters #1) Till Dawn Tames the Night My Wicked Enchantress No Choice But Surrender