Start by marking “Nothing is Terrible” as Want to Read:
Nothing is Terrible

Nothing is Terrible

3.41 of 5 stars 3.41  ·  rating details  ·  69 ratings  ·  9 reviews
Matthew Sharpe's debut collection, Stories from the Tube, was praised in the Los Angeles Times Book Review for its "wildly effective-and often touching-collisions of the banal and the surreal." Wiredcalled it "unsettling, lovely, creepy"; Forbes FYI heralded it as a "remarkable fiction debut." In Nothing Is Terrible, his first novel, Sharpe astonishes once again with the h ...more
Published February 22nd 2000 by Villard (first published 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Nothing is Terrible, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Nothing is Terrible

Janelle
"Nothing Is Terrible," except this book. Rare tiny bits of sense are mixed in with so much insensible dreck, it's like trying to sip a glassful of champagne that's been dispersed in a vat of motor oil. Matthew Sharpe shows some facility of quirkiness with words but the content is so annoying that you just don't care. It wants to be clever like "A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius" or "Running With Scissors" but fails utterly.
Kari Mathias
This book is awful. It takes emotional abuse, physical abuse, and sex abuse (all aimed at a child) and contorts them into a "good" thing. It's just pages and pages of awfulness until the end, when it's implied that the trauma just continues on. It's well-written, but too disturbing for that to make up for any of it. It's not uplifting, it's not enlightening. It's just dark, twisted, and sad.
Nikki
The title of this book is ironic, considering how terrible this book is from beginning to end. It starts by ripping off the movie, "My Girl", and gets worse from that point. I kept hoping it would get better, but I couldn't wait for it to end. I wish there was a way to refund myself for the time I wasted.
Anna
One of the most bizarre books I have ever read. I found it bizarre for bizarre's sake and incredibly disturbing. I ended up skimming parts of it because if I wasn't disturbed, then I was bored. If you are disturbed by child sexual abuse, don't read it. Had I known I would have never bought it.
Geraldine
Strange, sometimes unsettling, sometimes just too unbelieveable to be affecting, but sometimes Sharpe will rein in the narrative with some absolutely precise observation via Mary. I will definitely look for his other books.
Jessica
I wasn't sure what to expect when I picked up this book. It was strange and heartbreaking with every paragraph, yet I had to keep reading. At the end I just had a sick feeling in the pit of my stomach.
Daniel
Much like its protagonist, this book is always hinting at the development of something serious and tangible, but it never fully outgrows its childish, two-dimensional tendencies.
M Miciura
Seriously one of my favorite books of all time.
Michele
Kinda disturbing, but engrossing. A common story from a different perspective.
Mc
Mc marked it as to-read
Jun 08, 2015
Jesse Baer
Jesse Baer marked it as to-read
Apr 05, 2015
Kelsey
Kelsey marked it as to-read
Jan 05, 2015
Elizabeth
Elizabeth marked it as to-read
Aug 08, 2014
Elizabeth
Elizabeth marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2014
Haley Noble
Haley Noble marked it as to-read
Apr 27, 2014
Kristine Pratt
Kristine Pratt marked it as to-read
Apr 20, 2014
Hannah
Hannah marked it as to-read
Mar 29, 2014
Anne
Anne marked it as to-read
Mar 15, 2014
Ereadertje
Ereadertje marked it as to-read
Jan 21, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Matthew Sharpe (born 1962) is a U.S. novelist and short story writer. Born in New York City, but grew up in a small town in Connecticut. Sharpe graduated from Oberlin College in Ohio. Afterwards, he worked at US Magazine until he went back to school at Columbia University, where he pursued an MFA. Since then, he has been teaching creative writing at various institutions including Columbia Universi ...more
More about Matthew Sharpe...
The Sleeping Father Jamestown You Were Wrong Stories from the Tube Understanding Psychoanalysis (Understanding Movements in Modern Thought)

“I don't want to think anymore. Thinking prevents you from living.” 3 likes
“Then came that sigh. I wish I had had a tape recorder handy every time in my life that I heard a boy sigh at the outset of urination. What a lovely sound. So much satisfaction. Girls sigh far less often before they pee, and not with the same devotion, I think. If only I had such a recording of boys' sighs. I would lie on a pillow in the sunlight of the late afternoon, sometimes listening to Chopin, sometimes Schubert, and sometimes to the sighs, seriatim, of all the boys about to pee.” 1 likes