Start by marking “Nothing is Terrible” as Want to Read:
Nothing is Terrible

Nothing is Terrible

Matthew Sharpe's debut collection, Stories from the Tube, was praised in the Los Angeles Times Book Review for its "wildly effective-and often touching-collisions of the banal and the surreal." Wiredcalled it "unsettling, lovely, creepy"; Forbes FYI heralded it as a "remarkable fiction debut." In Nothing Is Terrible, his first novel, Sharpe astonishes once again with the h ...more
Published February 22nd 2000 by Villard (first published 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Nothing is Terrible, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Nothing is Terrible

Michele
Jul 01, 2009 Michele rated it really liked it
Kinda disturbing, but engrossing. A common story from a different perspective.
Janelle
Apr 28, 2009 Janelle rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
"Nothing Is Terrible," except this book. Rare tiny bits of sense are mixed in with so much insensible dreck, it's like trying to sip a glassful of champagne that's been dispersed in a vat of motor oil. Matthew Sharpe shows some facility of quirkiness with words but the content is so annoying that you just don't care. It wants to be clever like "A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius" or "Running With Scissors" but fails utterly.
Kari Mathias
Apr 07, 2011 Kari Mathias rated it did not like it
This book is awful. It takes emotional abuse, physical abuse, and sex abuse (all aimed at a child) and contorts them into a "good" thing. It's just pages and pages of awfulness until the end, when it's implied that the trauma just continues on. It's well-written, but too disturbing for that to make up for any of it. It's not uplifting, it's not enlightening. It's just dark, twisted, and sad.
Nikki
Jun 21, 2012 Nikki rated it did not like it
The title of this book is ironic, considering how terrible this book is from beginning to end. It starts by ripping off the movie, "My Girl", and gets worse from that point. I kept hoping it would get better, but I couldn't wait for it to end. I wish there was a way to refund myself for the time I wasted.
Geraldine
Mar 19, 2009 Geraldine rated it liked it
Strange, sometimes unsettling, sometimes just too unbelieveable to be affecting, but sometimes Sharpe will rein in the narrative with some absolutely precise observation via Mary. I will definitely look for his other books.
Anna
Jan 07, 2008 Anna rated it did not like it
One of the most bizarre books I have ever read. I found it bizarre for bizarre's sake and incredibly disturbing. I ended up skimming parts of it because if I wasn't disturbed, then I was bored. If you are disturbed by child sexual abuse, don't read it. Had I known I would have never bought it.
Jessica
Jan 10, 2009 Jessica rated it it was ok
I wasn't sure what to expect when I picked up this book. It was strange and heartbreaking with every paragraph, yet I had to keep reading. At the end I just had a sick feeling in the pit of my stomach.
A
May 11, 2016 A rated it liked it
Unsettling that as a reader I am complicit in Mary's abuse.
Daniel
May 13, 2011 Daniel rated it it was ok
Much like its protagonist, this book is always hinting at the development of something serious and tangible, but it never fully outgrows its childish, two-dimensional tendencies.
Corey
Corey rated it liked it
Mar 11, 2012
Sadie
Sadie rated it liked it
Feb 22, 2012
Worm
Worm rated it it was amazing
Mar 07, 2013
Ed
Ed rated it really liked it
Feb 11, 2007
Lorien
Lorien rated it it was amazing
Dec 19, 2016
Dan Edwards
Dan Edwards rated it liked it
Apr 04, 2010
Mitch Galloway
Mitch Galloway rated it it was amazing
Jun 28, 2013
Billy
Billy rated it liked it
Sep 28, 2007
carrie
carrie rated it really liked it
Feb 13, 2013
Candace
Candace rated it really liked it
Aug 16, 2015
Emmy
Emmy rated it really liked it
Jan 16, 2012
Jen
Jen rated it liked it
Jan 21, 2013
Dy'talzha
Dy'talzha rated it really liked it
Jan 14, 2013
Sara
Sara rated it really liked it
Feb 28, 2012
Jennifer rated it liked it
Sep 10, 2007
Charissa
Charissa rated it liked it
Aug 13, 2007
Boris
Boris rated it it was amazing
Oct 12, 2007
Jimmy L
Jimmy L rated it liked it
Nov 10, 2014
Randy
Randy rated it it was amazing
Nov 26, 2016
Tuck
Tuck rated it really liked it
Mar 07, 2008
Sagen
Sagen rated it it was amazing
Jun 14, 2011
« previous 1 3 next »
Matthew Sharpe (born 1962) is a U.S. novelist and short story writer. Born in New York City, but grew up in a small town in Connecticut. Sharpe graduated from Oberlin College in Ohio. Afterwards, he worked at US Magazine until he went back to school at Columbia University, where he pursued an MFA. Since then, he has been teaching creative writing at various institutions including Columbia Universi ...more
More about Matthew Sharpe...

“I don't want to think anymore. Thinking prevents you from living.” 4 likes
“Then came that sigh. I wish I had had a tape recorder handy every time in my life that I heard a boy sigh at the outset of urination. What a lovely sound. So much satisfaction. Girls sigh far less often before they pee, and not with the same devotion, I think. If only I had such a recording of boys' sighs. I would lie on a pillow in the sunlight of the late afternoon, sometimes listening to Chopin, sometimes Schubert, and sometimes to the sighs, seriatim, of all the boys about to pee.” 1 likes