Start by marking “Six Crows” as Want to Read:
Six Crows

Six Crows

While a farmer tends his field of wheat, six hungry crows watch and wait in a nearby tree. When the wheat ripens, the farmer builds a scarecrow to frighten them off, but these ingenious crows are not so easily scared. Bringing this original fable to life with brilliant collages, Leo Lionni deftly draws parallels between animal and human behavior that children can readily a ...more
Published September 14th 2010 by Knopf Books for Young Readers (first published March 12th 1988)

To ask other readers questions about Six Crows, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Six Crows

Connie
Nov 08, 2009 Connie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Farmers plant wheat. Crows eat wheat. (I mean, the farmer conveniently plants this all-you-can-eat buffet for them!) If the farmers and the crows could talk, surely they could come to an amicable arrangement... right?

Maybe, maybe not. Maybe, instead of talking like sensible creatures, the farmer will outdo himself making progressively scarier scarecrows, and the crows will outdo EVERYBODY making progressively scarier scarefarmers, and in the meantime the wheat will wither in the field and nobod
Kelly Tessitore
Feb 15, 2012 Kelly Tessitore rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Six Crows is a cute story that begins as what seems like a stereotypical plot. How will the farmer get rid of the pesky crows? But through critical literacy, he gives a perspective that is not always mentioned. He provides the perspective of the crows and then shows how using words can straighten out a misunderstanding. He leaves readers with the message that if you talk things out during a disagreement then your problem will be solved and everyone can be content. This is appropriate message for ...more
Amy
Mar 22, 2012 Amy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens, reviewed
This was a cute story, and the kids liked it. My niece saw the cover and exclaimed, "Oh good! Leo Lionni! This should be good!" The kids like crows, too, so they did enjoy this story that featured them.
Wooden Horse
It surprises me when I randomly pick a book to read and discover that it speaks directly to events happening in my own life. I'm a fan of Leo Lionni's work so even before I read this I was pretty sure I was going to like it. The farmer of the local wheat field wages war against the six crows that are eating his grain. In retaliation the crows build a large leaf crow to scare away the scarecrow. The farmer then builds a scarier scarecrow and the crows respond with an even larger leaf crow. The ow ...more
Erin
Nov 04, 2014 Erin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This fable is about a farmer who dislikes that 6 crows keep eating his wheat right before harvest time. He builds a scarecrow to keep them away from the field. The crows are frightened by it and want to scare it away. They build a large bird kite out of leaves and bark to fly through the sky. This frightens the farmer who then makes an even bigger, scarier scarecrow. The crows build yet another bigger, scarier bird. Both the farmer and the crows were so busy scaring each other that the wheat fie ...more
Indiana
Dec 17, 2015 Indiana rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I stumbled upon this book on amazon when I was ordering a copy of Leigh Bardugo's YA fantasy novel "Six of Crows". This children's picture book with a very similar title came up as a search result. I grew up reading many of Leo Lionni's books but this was not one in my library. I immediately rectified that and added it to my collection. It has wonderful illustrations as with Lionni's other books. The six crows are utterly adorable. And a charming lesson about communication with words to be learn ...more
Steve_sonderman
Six Crows is a fable written by Leo Lionni. The illustration in the book is great, as Lionni has received Caldecott honors in many of his other books. This book could be taught in a unit with fables. It also stresses the importance of communication and stepping out of your comfort zone. The ending also leaves a little bit up to interpretation, so discussion and further assignments can be made once the book is finished. Although the illustration and moral are good, the book isn't extremely intere ...more
Dolly
Feb 28, 2011 Dolly rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
Shelves: childrens, india, 2011
This is a fun tale of conflict and one-upmanship that is only ended when a wise owl convinces the farmer and the pesky crows to talk it out, stating "It's never too late to talk things over." and "Words can do magic." It's a simple story, with colorful illustrations that teaches a moral, but is not too heavy-handed with the message. We enjoyed reading this story together and will look other books by Leo Lionni we haven't read yet.
Denise
Feb 26, 2012 Denise rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this story about some crows and a farmer having a tough relationship as the crows want to eat the crops and the farmer wants a good yield. Eventually they make peace and find friendship thanks to an owl who acts as a mediator. The story provides a good base for children to use as they create similar texts about two rival parties and a peacekeeper. Reader's Theater would also be fun and children could take turns being a crow, the farmer, or the owl.
Erin Saaranen
Six Crows by Leo Lionni (picture book)
In Balabadur Hills, six crows are trying to get to a farmer’s wheat in his backyard. The farmer decides to build a scarecrow to scare the crows away, but these crows are not easily scared, so the farmer must work his “magic” to find a compromise.

I would ask my students questions throughout the book to check their listening/comprehension skills. Specifically, I’d ask them to guess what the farmer is going to do in the end.
Jul 16, 2011 Laura rated it liked it
This book had a simple message of peace. It seemed a little forced, but might still provide entertainment for children. I thought the illustrations were fairly nice, but I didn't care very much for the overall story. I probably wouldn't recommend unless you loved Lionni's work.

*Taken from my book reviews blog: http://reviewsatmse.blogspot.com/2011...
Eric Timar
Mar 03, 2013 Eric Timar rated it it was amazing
A terrific peace story for children. A farmer and a group of crows engage in a humorous "arms race;" fortunately a wise owl is watching, and she decides to help.

I've read this to groups of children and they have enjoyed it. I'm always sure to make the "fearsome" kite "fly" by holding out my arms and "flying" the book in front of my audience.
Edward Sullivan
Sep 08, 2010 Edward Sullivan rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
I was unfamiliar with this Lionni title until I received this reissue. Love Lionni!!!
Steffi
Mar 13, 2011 Steffi rated it it was amazing
Kurze, schöne Geschichte über den Unsinn abschreckender Rüstungspolitik und Plädoyer für Pazifismus.
Luana
Apr 22, 2012 Luana rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This fable is ideal for grade Pre-K - 3rd grade. It would teach them to be problem solvers versus problem makers. If you have a problem with a friend, talk it out and solve it together.
ABC
May 20, 2013 ABC rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: younger-kids
The crows and the farmer start out as enemies, but end up as friends.
Trisha Stragand
Jan 29, 2013 Trisha Stragand rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: inferring, i-own-it
Six Crows is a wonderful book to read to the students and predict what they think is going to happen next. Let students discuss how to resolve the situation.
Amar Pai
Jun 14, 2012 Amar Pai rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kids-books
"Scarecrow" is an interesting concept
Tiffany
Jun 23, 2015 Tiffany rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The crow drawings get repetitive, and story a little too silly.
Ethan
Accelerated Reader Quiz Type Information AR Quiz Types: RP
Mandy
Jun 22, 2011 Mandy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
Summary:
The crows are scared of the scarecrow the farmer made to protect his wheat, so they hatch a plan to make something that will scare him away.
Marineke
Beetje braaf verhaaltje, maar de collages zijn zoals gewoonlijk weer goed.
Duane Stoddard
Duane Stoddard rated it it was amazing
Jul 24, 2016
Katie
Katie rated it liked it
Nov 19, 2011
Brody
Brody rated it really liked it
Mar 29, 2013
Yuxi
Yuxi rated it liked it
Mar 13, 2015
George
George rated it it was amazing
Oct 20, 2016
Kmarshall
Kmarshall rated it liked it
Jun 21, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • The Story Blanket
  • Mathilda and the Orange Balloon
  • Josephine Wants to Dance
  • Seven Hungry Babies
  • Creative Play for Your Toddler: Steiner Waldorf Expertise and Toy Projects for 2 - 4s
  • The Very Best Pumpkin
  • The Foolish Tortoise
  • Harris Finds His Feet
  • A Small Brown Dog with a Wet Pink Nose
  • Calvin Can't Fly: The Story of a Bookworm Birdie
  • Tacky's Christmas (Tacky the Penguin)
  • Skunkdog
  • The Little Red Fish
  • Can't Sleep Without Sheep
  • Feathers for Lunch
  • Fletcher and the Springtime Blossoms
  • The Fabulous Bouncing Chowder (A Chowder Book)
  • The Bicycle Man (Sandpiper)
Leo Lionni wrote and illustrated more than 40 highly acclaimed children's books. He received the 1984 American Institute of Graphic Arts Gold Medal and was a four-time Caldecott Honor Winner--for Inch by Inch, Frederick, Swimmy, and Alexander and the Wind-Up Mouse. Leo Lionni died in October of 1999 at his home in Tuscany, Italy, at the age of 89.

Leo Lionni has gained international renown for his
More about Leo Lionni...