Start by marking “The Get Rich Quick Club” as Want to Read:
The Get Rich Quick Club

The Get Rich Quick Club

3.62 of 5 stars 3.62  ·  rating details  ·  425 ratings  ·  60 reviews
We, the members of the Get Rich Quick Club, in order to form a more perfect summer, vow that we will figure out a way to make a million dollars by September. We agree that neither rain nor snow nor gloom of night will prevent us from achieving our stated goal, till death do us part.

Gina Tumolo and her Get Rich Quick Club are determined to make their summer pay off. They're
Published October 17th 2006 by HarperCollins (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about The Get Rich Quick Club, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Get Rich Quick Club

Ruth Ann
I think this book has great kid appeal qualities: fast-paced, the kids fool the adults, lots of humor, an unexpected twist, and a quick read (only 118 pages).

The characters are interesting: Gina, the 5th grade Club CEO who looks to Bill Gates as her hero
Quincy, the Australian friend with artistic talents
Rob, the brilliant (but a bit odd classmate) with a deep soul
Eddie and Teddy, 8-year-old twins with huge imaginations and storytelling gifts.

This book was originally published in 2004 so the
PJ
I really enjoyed this book. It is about 5 kids who form a club on summer break with the goal to make fast money. The group comes up with a scheme and claimed they saw a UFO and an alien. They take a fake picture and eventually get the town newspaper to publish it. The group is offered endorsements and become celebrities until the truth comes out. There is a fantastic ending that endears this book to the reader. A great read for boys or girls...especially reluctant readers.
Edward Creter
This kids' gem is simple, even predictable, yet so profound that even I like it. And this from the guy who is behind the Weird School series, the first of which I liked (sort of) and I may want to read vol. 2 when I can get my mitts on a second Weird School book. This first in a projected series has five kids band together for one common goal: to make 1,000,000 bucks before summer is over. So they get together and do a faux documentary film of a flying alien spacecraft made from a pillow and loa ...more
KidsFiction Teton County Library
J Gutman

Here's a fun story about five kids who make a pact to earn a million dollars by the end of the summer. The book is the story of their scheme and how it happens. Before long their pictures are in the paper all over the country. Their leader, a 5th grade girl named Gina, decides that if Bill Gates can do it before 20, so can they -- with the help of a picture of a UFO.
Lanica
TEACHER/LIBRARIAN REVIEW: I read this to a fourth grade class I was subbing for and the kids loved it! There are a few interesting characters and it's really funny. The story is that a few kids want to earn a million dollars over the summer. They decided they are going to fake a UFO photo and sell it to the tabloids - but things never work out quite the way they're planned.

While reading the book we created our own UFO's out of recycled materials and took our own photos. If I had more time I'd t
AnnMarie
We listened to this in the car as a family on vacation! We range from 7 - 50 years old and we all loved it. Even us adults laughed out loud at times. Good author....fun for the family!
Logan Braden
Fifth Grader Gina Tumolo loves money! At a very young age, she realized the power of money. The more green paper you have, the more "stuff" you could bring home! Gina's resolution was to find a way to become a millionaire by the time she becomes a teenager.
This is the story of the summer Gina started the Get Rich Quick Club. She and her friends wanted to make a million dollars by September. Gina, Rob and Quincy are in the fifth grade at the same school and live in the same housing development.
Valeria De
In my opinion, I think the book The Get Rich Quick Club was funny.I would recommend this book because it is very humorous.I personally liked every part of the book.In the book,I think it's not fair that the twins get all the fame and the rest of the group is left out.My favorite part of the book is when they where thinking of ways to get rich.If this book was a series I would read it because the book ends with a to be continue ending.I hope that you decide to read this book.
Jackie
The Get Rich Quick Club aka Gina-Rob-Quincy club cook up a scheme to...what else? Get Rich Quick. Sell Lemonade? No. Sell Blood? No. Sell squishy pillows shaped like little ketchup packets? No. They decide to take a (fake) photograph of a UFO and sell it to The National Truth. Believe it not, The Truth doesn't want it, but their local newspaper does! Contracts come in for endorsements and appearances. It looks like they really will make a million dollars quick. That is until someone rats them ou ...more
Evy
Every kid wants to get rich, right? If they see a dollar bill, they lunge. And in a money-hungry society, no one tells them otherwise. Dan Gutman illustrates feeling of desperation, obvious greed, and devious brilliance in The Get Rich Quick Club...with kids behind the whole fraud. With Gutman's realistic feeling and a bit of imagination, the words on the page can turn alive. The only disappointment I found in the story was the single twist. I expected more, since I am a big reader on his storie ...more
Carmen
Another one I read as a preview for a kid's summer book club. I'm excited to discuss this one with a group of youngsters. I think their insights and opinions are going to be really interesting.
Angel Cortes
the book is basically about these kids who start this club. their main goal is to make a million dollars. so they first come up with this plot to pretend to have found a picture of a ufo. so they go and they start throwing a bunch of things in the air and they take pictures of it and it seems that none of them look like ufos. so they take their lst picture but one accidently pushes the other one and the shot was taken and it looked like a ufo. so they tried selling it to news papers and they fai ...more
Ensiform
A girl whose goal is to be rich forms a club with her friends to further that goal. Their idea is to create a fake UFO picture and shop it around to news outlets. Against all reasonable expectations, this actually succeeds, until one of them has a crisis of conscience. This is a silly, over-the-top, very kid-centric story, with the sympathy all on the side of the kids, who are materialistic, lying, and scheming, but not at all malicious. One of the characters speaks in an absurd faux-Australian ...more
Audrey
A cute, short novel set in Farmington, Maine. Students will like the cast of characters and I'm sure they will really like the character of Quincy and her funny language from Australia. I personally felt all the of "Australian" talk was a bit overdone and I have a hard time believing that they truly talk to that extreme all of the time. Students will have to know to look at subtitles to get the "American" translation and then work to remember some of the more common ones as later translations ma ...more
Mary Ann
Gina is obsessed with making money – her goal in life is to become a millionaire. As summer begins, she’s bored – no camps to go to (too expensive), no activities. She meets up with some neighborhood friends and they start the Get Rich Quick Club. They come up with a scheme to make a lot of money: fake a picture of a UFO sighting and sell it to a trashy magazine. Unexpectedly, the scheme takes off beyond their dreams – but then comes crashing down. Personally, I liked the beginning and the premi ...more
Andy Lee
This book is solely intended for younger folks. Without spoiling the book, the story is about a bunch of kids in Maine who dream up the "Get Rich Quick Club." Their idea sees utterly stupid and fa fetched, but it nearly works.

I read a lot of books from young people and this has no redeeming qualiities other than the fact that you shouldn't try to swindle people out of money. An easy read if you have an hour or two, and I suppose a 3rd or 4th grader might like it. I feel like my brain needs a sh
Rusty
Fun, imaginative little read.
Rich Carruth
A student left this in class today, so I read it. I like to keep up with what my students are reading. The book is okay. Pretty funny twist at the end.
Michael
Q: If you sold lemonade at 25 cents a glass, how many glasses would you have to sell to make a million dollars?
A: 4 million glasses of lemonade!

Q: If you washed cars for two dollars a car, how many cars would you have to wash to make a million dollars?
A: 500 thousand cars!

Q: If a UFO landed in front of you, how many pictures of it would you have to sell to make a million dollars?
A: One!

Guess which one these kids picked...
Omarr6
The get rich quick club is a book about kids who want to get rich quickly. These kids want to get rich by the summer so they almost got rich one time. They attempted to take a picture of a ufo. They send the picture to the news and they didn't believe them about the ufo. They attempt many more things to get rich read to find out.
Kevin
It was really funny through the book.
I liked Gina cause she got everyone into the club.
I like Rob cause he is well... he sees the world differently.
I like Quincy cause she,s an Australian Eskimo.
And I like the Bogle twins cause they are stupid, and terrible liars.

Inky Dinky Pinky.
AnnieM
Eh, it was ok. If there wasn't anything left to read then this could he a choice. Y just don't care for his writhing yoked h
Noah 11-12
If you want to know how to "Get Rich Quick" read this book. It was a good book because...
1. It relates to a lot of every day kids.
2. It was a funny book.
3. The characters were a tad bit different.
Mayrocks
this book REALLY cracked me up. a hilarious and crazy laugh-out-loud tale of 5 kids desperate for a million dollars. at the end is a terrible downfall, but a truly unpredictable surprise completes the tale.
Destinylucas
Jun 26, 2011 Destinylucas is currently reading it
the get rich quick club is about 5 kids make a group called the get rick quick club to get money faster and they sent a fake photo and letter to the person who made the national truth newspaper.
Ally
Nov 14, 2008 Ally rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Fast Readers
Its a 1 nighter by Dan Gutman. Its about a group of kids who want to get rich very fast because its summer. They pretend 2 see a ufo then take a fake picture and submit it to a newspaper.
Cathy
Another fun Gutman book in which a small band of friends decide to become amazingly rich over the course of a single summer. Their exploits are hillarious and spark the imagination.
Karalee
My niece recommended this to me and it was a very funny, quirky little book. I liked it alot. The characters are interesting and the plot was original. I hope there is a sequel!
meg
a cute-funny-quick read about a group of kids who try to get rich quick by faking a UFO photo. i picked it for my 2nd/3rd graders this month and i predict they'll get a kick out of it.
Ron
A fun look at how some kids try to get a million dollars over the course of a summer and the lessons they learned. My son read the book and insisted on reading it with me.
  • 15 Minutes
  • Pickle: The (Formerly) Anonymous Prank Club of Fountain Point Middle School
  • The Expeditioners and the Secret of King Triton's Lair (The Expeditioners, #2)
  • The Field of Wacky Inventions (Floors #3)
  • Garfield Gets Cookin' (Garfield #38)
  • Codename Zero (The Codename Conspiracy #1)
  • Ruby Lu, Empress of Everything
  • Eggs over Evie
  • The Legend of Spud Murphy
  • Dream On (Whatever After, #4)
  • Once Upon the End (Half Upon a Time, #3)
  • Being Teddy Roosevelt
  • Kristy and the Sister War (The Baby-Sitters Club, #112)
  • The Somebodies
  • Toeshoe Trouble (Sugar Plum Ballerinas, #2)
  • Lucy Rose: Here's the Thing About Me
  • Where I Live
  • The Invisible Fran (Franny K. Stein, Mad Scientist, #3)
The author of over 80 books in a little over a decade of writing, Dan Gutman has written on topics from computers to baseball. Beginning his freelance career as a nonfiction author dealing mostly with sports for adults and young readers, Gutman has concentrated on juvenile fiction since 1995. His most popular titles include the time-travel sports book Honus and Me and its sequels, and a clutch of ...more
More about Dan Gutman...
The Homework Machine (The Homework Machine #1) Miss Daisy Is Crazy! (My Weird School, #1) Babe & Me (A Baseball Card Adventure #3) Mission Unstoppable Mr. Klutz Is Nuts! (My Weird School, #2)