Start by marking “Julius Caesar” as Want to Read:
Julius Caesar

Read Book* *Different edition

Julius Caesar

3.65  ·  Rating Details ·  134,131 Ratings  ·  2,986 Reviews
In this striking tragedy of political conflict, Shakespeare turns to the ancient Roman world and to the famous assassination of Julius Caesar by his republican opponents. The play is one of tumultuous rivalry, of prophetic warnings–“Beware the ides of March”–and of moving public oratory, “Friends, Romans, countrymen!” Ironies abound and most of all for Brutus, whose fate i ...more
Paperback, The New Bantam Shakespeare, 288 pages
Published February 1st 2005 by Bantam Classic (first published December 21st 1599)

To ask other readers questions about Julius Caesar, please sign up.

Naomi Esrig So, the Roman Empire was a Republic, which utilizes many democratic ideals to allow a voice to all. Caesar had changed the number of the Senate from…moreSo, the Roman Empire was a Republic, which utilizes many democratic ideals to allow a voice to all. Caesar had changed the number of the Senate from 300 to 900, making them less productive, in an attempt to gain more power. Brutus and the "liberators" (the Senators whose jobs were at stake) decided to take things into their own hands in order to save the Republic. However, they misjudged how much the people loved Caesar (he was giving jobs and land to the plebeians middle class), so the liberators were exiled. (less)

Madeline
Dec 29, 2008 Madeline rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: shakespeare
Julius Caesar, abridged:

BRUTUS: I love Caesar!

CASSIUS: He's a power-hungry bastard. I think we should kill him.

BRUTUS: Dude, we totally should.

DECIUS: Happy Ides of March, Caesar. Ready to go to the Senate?

CAESAR: I dunno. My wife just had a dream about you and the rest of the senators washing their hands in my blood, so I think I'm going to call in sick today.

DECIUS: Okay, I'll just tell the guys that you're a pussy who lets his wife tell him what to do. They'll understand.

CAESAR: I'll get
Bill  Kerwin
In the course of teaching high school sophomores for thirty years, I have read Julius Caesar more than thirty times, and I never grow tired of its richness of detail or the complexity of its characters.
Almost every year, I end up asking myself the same simple question--"Whom do I like better? Cassius or Brutus?"--and almost every year my answer is different from what it was the year before.

On one hand, we have Cassius, the selfish, manipulative conspirator who, after the assassination, shows h
Jeffrey Keeten
Nov 29, 2015 Jeffrey Keeten rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: shakespeare
“Cowards die many times before their deaths;
The valiant never taste of death but once.
Of all the wonders that I yet have heard,
It seems to me most strange that men should fear;
Seeing that death, a necessary end,
Will come when it will come.”

photo Julius20Caesar_zpsap29yzzn.jpg

Beware the Ides of March. Beware to those that have aspirations to rule. You may encounter many enemies. People who will thwart your plans. People quite possibly afraid of your genius. People suffering from delusions of grandeur.

I always say keep an
Henry Avila
Nov 01, 2016 Henry Avila rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The most powerful, famous man in Roman history, her greatest conqueror, loved by the adoring , poor population, of Rome, ( and Cleopatra, also) that has brought glory and prosperity, too, the army will follow anywhere he leads, certain victory and riches to the soldiers, the Senate has given numerous awards to him, Rome's enemies tremble at the name of the mighty Caesar, but of course nobody is loved by all, men are small, petty, and jealous, why should he be above them, (fearing he, becoming K ...more
Darth J
This tale in a nutshell:

Raghad

أيتها المؤامرة أتخجلين أن تبرزي جبهتك الربداء في غياهب الليل عند منبث عوامل السوء , وتفشي كل آفة منكرة وسوءة خبيثة؟ فليت شعري إذا طلع عليك النهار وسطع على عوراتك ضياؤه , أين تجدين من الغيران والكهوف ما يستطيع أن يخفي صورتك الشنعاء بظلمته , ويخبئ طلعتك النكراء في غيابته ؟ لا تبتغن مخبأ أيتها الؤامرة ولا تلتمسنّ مستترًا , ولكن احجبي وجهك البشع المخوف بخمار البشر والبشاشة; لأنك إن برزت في سحنتك الحقيقية فلن يسترك عن مستشف النظرات الثاقبة قعر الجحيم بحالك ظلماته .
caesar by jason zhou 07 sized

يوليوس قيصر عظيم الرومان ولد سنة 10
Lyn
Dec 16, 2011 Lyn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
“Et tu, Brute?”

These lines have haunted audiences and readers for centuries, since The Bard first presented the play, believed to be in 1599, when Shakespeare would have been 35. Bringing to life scenes from Roman history, this tragedy, more than presenting a biography of the leader, instead forms a study in loyalty, honor, patriotism and friendship.

“Friends, Romans, countrymen, lend me your ears;
I come to bury Caesar, not to praise him;
The evil that men do lives after them,
The good is oft in
Dolors
Nov 09, 2015 Dolors rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Tireless nonconformists
The juxtaposition that Shakespeare brings forward in this historical play, which resembles a tragedy in textual tonality and structure, is the double-edged facets, the private and the public, that coexist in Julius Caesar, the quintessential dictator.
The ruler’s weaknesses show unobstructed in his private life.
Irascible, proud and vulnerable to superstition, the Caesar ignores the voice of fate represented by the Soothsayer that tries to warn him against the surges of unrest that pervade in th
Joe Valdez
Apr 13, 2017 Joe Valdez rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: plays
To celebrate William Shakespeare on his birthday in April, I'll be studying three of the Bard's plays which I've not yet seen. My Shakespeare plan is to locate a staging of the play, listening to and watching it on my Macbook while I follow along to as much as of the original text as is incorporated in the production. Later, I read the entire play in the modern English version. A good friend I've had since high school recommended this system to me and I think this has been a very good system for ...more
Manny
I once performed the whole of Mark Anthony's "Friends, Romans, Countrymen" speech on the steps outside the Great Hall in Trinity College, Cambridge, wearing a bedspread as a toga and with a bucket chained over my head. It's a long story. I think I still know the speech by heart.

Kalliope
What is this play about? Is it about Julius Caesar, as the title says? Well, he is assassinated half way through the play and disappears (Act 3, scene 2). Granted, his ghost reappears later on, but it is not the ghost of the caliber of Mozart’s (and Lorenzo da Ponte’s) commanding Commendatore. JC’s ghost exists only in Brutus mind as his conscience. For even if Brutus thinks that it is the ghost’s revenge to “turn our swords toward our own stomachs”, the only time the ghost speaks is to say “I a ...more
Mizo ۞
Apr 07, 2015 Mizo ۞ rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: history
أَفَكُنــتُـم تُفَـضِّـلــون أَن يَعيشَ قَيْـــصَر , وَأن تَـموتُــوا جَمــيعاً عبيـــداً له , على أَن يَــمُـــوت قَيْصَـــــر , وأن تعيـــشُـوا جَميــعاً رِجَالــاً أَحــرارا ؟
 photo ab2bb648-b960-4da6-8776-87fefa6ec91a_zpsrqzegwq2.jpeg

شكسبير , يا عم شكسبير .
ماذا تفعل بي بالله عليك ؟
أنّى لكَ بهذه القدرة أن تكتب وتحلل وتشرح أكثر الاشياء تعقيداً , ثم تجمعها في باقة مميزة من الكلام الفصيح والشاعريّ الجميل ؟ ...
يوليوس قيصر , ايقاع اسمه بنفسه على اذن السامع مهيب ! فكيف بأن تعلم سيرة حياته وبطولاته ؟
قيصر هذا , هو الغازي الكبير , ودكتاتور روما الشهير ,
يُقار
James
Book Review
In 1599, William Shakespeare published his famous tragic play, Julius Caesar. In this tragedy, he explores the effect of power and trust across many characters, those who have it and those who are hungry for it. Several memorable lines originate in this play, offering guidance on how to go about building a network of friends and an army of enemies. Most readers are familiar with the story of vengeance and betrayal when it comes to Julius Caeser, and this is the central theme in Sh
Joseph
Jun 19, 2017 Joseph rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"Cry havoc and release the dogs of war"

The recent uproar over the Play in the Park version of the play. Huey Long, Margret Thatcher, Tony Blair, Barrack Obama, Kennedy, Jacqueline Kennedy (as Calpurnia) all had their moments in the play as Caesar without the uproar. I can see the make Rome/America great again, but I do not see Trump refusing the crown thrice or leaving 75 drachmas to every man or donating his private gardens and orchards. It's just a play.
Roy Lotz
Jul 07, 2013 Roy Lotz rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: drama
Why, man, he doth brestride the narrow world like a Colossus, and we petty men walk under his huge legs and peep about to find ourselves dishonorable graves.

One of Shakespeare’s best, this play is also, I think, one of his most morally ambiguous. The central question of the play—was it right to have killed Caesar?—is left unresolved, principally because of the complexity of the protagonists.

The play opens with Cassius persuading Brutus to act against Caesar. This monologue, though eloquent, is
Ibrahim Saad
May 16, 2015 Ibrahim Saad rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
- "

فما بال قيصر يتجبر علينا إذن ؟ يا للمسكين ! إني موقن أنه ما كان ليصير ذئباً لولا أنه لا يرى الرومانيين إلا نعاجاً ، وما كان ليغدو ضرغاماً لو لم يكن الرومانيون وعولاً ..
إن الذين يتعجلون إضرام النار إنما يبدءونها بضعيف القش ، فأية حثالة غدت روما .. حين تتيح لعامة الشعب أن يعمل لتأجيج وتمجيد شئ تافه كقيصر ؟
أي شئ في قيصر ذاك ؟ لماذا ينبغي لذلك الإسم أن يكون أجرى على الألسنه من اسمك !؟ "

لم أكن أتوقع تماماً أن تكون بداية رحلتي في عالم شكسبير بهذه القوة ، لم أكن اتوقع هذا اطلاقاً .. غالباً ما يك
Alex
Jul 19, 2011 Alex rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: republicans
What a terrible era in which idiots govern the blind.

Here's the plot: a demagogue threatens democracy and his own allies in the Senate have to decide whether to remove him. So you can see why the Public Theater's minds went to recent events when they staged Julius Caesar in Central Park. Their version, set in modern times and featuring a familiar-looking Caesar, has made some headlines, and I won't lie: the murder scene was disturbing to watch. Art often tries to be dangerous, but it rarely succ
Foad
واژه ى "قيصر" يا "سزار" بر خلاف تصوّر رايج، به معنى پادشاه نيست. بلكه صرفاً نام خانوادگى بزرگ ترين سلسله امپراتوران روم است كه هزار و چهارصد سال حكومت كردند، تا جايى كه نام خانوادگى شان در تصوّر مردم ما هم معنى "پادشاه" شد.

روم تا قبل از خاندان قيصرها، به صورت جمهورى اداره مى شد. "ژوليوس سزار" (قيصر) كوشيد از قدرت سنا بكاهد و خود امپراتور گردد، اما به دست سناتورها به قتل رسيد.
پس از او برادر زاده اش "اوكتاويوس سزار" روم را تصرف كرد و حكومتى بر اساس منويات ژوليوس سزار بنا كرد كه هزار و چهارصد سال
Matt

Re-reading it for a class I'm taking, I was surprised to see that it's not the hoary, near-cliched, armchair statesman-like story I'd snored through in high school.

It's actually a taut, crackling, suspenseful political thriller which is more compelling, dire, complex, and profound than I'd originally noticed.

It's about revolution, revolutionaries, and the price one pays for irrigating the tree of liberty with the blood of tyrants. You get the restless, brittle, inferiority complex of Cassius, h
David
Apr 05, 2014 David rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Friends, Romans, and countrymen

But Brutus says he was ambitious;
And Brutus is an honourable man….

I think that reading Shakespeare's plays does not do them justice - they aren't meant to be read, they are meant to be performed, and seen performed. However, you also miss a lot if you aren't already familiar with the context and the Shakespearean language, because of course ol' Will packs a lot into every single line.

So, this is the famous play about the conspirators who assassinated Julius Caesar, fearing his ambition to becom
Niloo Beygi
برای من این نمایشنامه ی شکسپیر غیر از هر نگاه سیاسی-اجتماعی ای چیزی در ستایش و نکوهش سخنه. به بهترین نحو نشون می ده که چطور با کلمه ها و جمله ها می شه افراد رو وسوسه کرد، برانگیختشون، دیدگاهشون رو عوض کرد و ...
چه مونولوگا و حدیث نفس های دقیق و خوبی داره. به خصوص اون مونولوگ مارک آنتونی که همه چیز رو تغییر می ده و باعث شورش مردم می شه و چقدر زیرکی این شخصیت رو دوست دارم چه توی رفتار و تفکر چه توی انتخاب کلماتش بسته به موقعیت و شرایطش.
چیزی که حس می کنم شاید توی نمایشنامه های شکسپیر تکرار می شه ای
Greg
My tenth grade teacher killed this play, not Caesar style though, that would be the treatment my eleventh grade English teacher did in poor Macbeth, with lots and lots of daggers and bloodshed. I don't have a good literary reference to how Julius Caesar got killed by a teacher.

Supposedly the teacher was fucking at least one guy on the football team, and she was showing signs of being knocked-up by the end of the year. So maybe she had other things on her mind. In later years I'd learn that she
M.
Mar 14, 2017 M. rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Tiyatro okurları, Shakespeare okuru, genel okur, Roma Tarihine ilgi duyanlar
Mutlaka okunması gereken önemli bir klasik eser. Roma Tarihini yeniden okuma isteği uyandırdı bende. Gerçekle gerçeküstünün iç içe geçtiği, büyülü bir tiyatro. Okunmak için değil, yaşanmak için yazılmışçasına.
هدير
شــــكسبير .. لن أقول أنه غني عن التعريف .. لأنني نفسي قبل أن أقرأ له هذه المسرحية ـ كنت أتسائل ، ما سر شهرته و لم أعماله تتوج دائما في قمة الأعمال الأدبية ؟! ..

كان سؤالا عالقا برأسي و لم أبحث عن إجابة له ، كنت أنتظر أن ندرسه في قسم اللغة الإنجليزية لأعرف إجابة له ..
في هذا الفصل الدراسي من عامي الرابع في الكلية ـ حدث ما كنت أرجوه .. درسنا مسرحيته ـ القيصر جوليوس ـ كـ مدخل لعالم شكسبير .. الخلّاق و المدهش .. نعم .. الأن أستطيع أن أقول و بملء الوعي ، أن هذا الرجل مبدع حقيقي فعلا ، و أنه فعلا ..
Ahmad Sharabiani
The Tragedie Of Julius Caesar, William Shakespeare
عنوان: تراژدی قیصر : نمایشنامه در پنج پرده؛ اثر: ویلیام شکسپیر؛ مترجم: فرنگیس شادمان (نمازی)؛ مشخصات نشر: تهران، بنگاه ترجمه و نشر کتاب، 1334، در 161 ص، موضوع: نمایشنامه های انگلیسی قرن 16 م
از همین مترجم: تهران، شرکت انتشارات علمی فرهنگی، 1382، در 177 ص؛ شابک: 9789644459733؛
Ken Moten
"Artemidorus: Caesar, beware of Brutus; take heed of Cassius; come
not near Casca; have an eye to Cinna; trust not Trebonius; mark
well Metellus Cimber; Decius Brutus loves thee not; thou hast
wrong'd Caius Ligarius. There is but one mind in all these men,
and it is bent against Caesar. If thou be'st not immortal, look
about you: security gives way to conspiracy. The mighty gods
defend thee!
"

[May 2014 update below original review]
"I came, I saw, I reviewed."

THE play that made the already legend
Brad
Whenever I read Shakespeare, I always find myself longing to be back in Rome watching the assassination of Caesar. So I do just that.

I read Hamlet for class, and I immediately pick up Caesar. I read one of the plays I've been meaning to get to, and I immediately pick up Caesar. I catch a late night TV showing of Much Ado About Nothing or Othello, and I immediately pick up Ceasar. It feels like home to me.

It contains the elements that make Shakespeare's great plays great (at least to me). Death
GoldGato
Ambition! Envy! Guilt! Revenge! I love it!

Although the title states this should be about Julius Caesar, it's about Brutus and Cassius on one side and Antony and Octavius on the other side. Trust not one of them. We barely get a whiff of the great JC before he is cruelly assassinated and the play sways between Old World Idealism (Brutus) and New World Pragmatism (Octavius).

But hollow men, like horses hot at hand,
Make gallant show and promise of their mettle;
But when they should endure the bloody
Husain BuSafwan
عودة للقرن السادس عشر، واستمتاع بمسرحية شكسبير التراجيدية، التي يقال بأنها أولى أعماله الرومانية، "يوليوس قيصر" التي كانت متعلقة به، امبراطورًا للرومان، غير أن ثقلها كان في شخصية "بروتس"، الذي اغتال قيصر بخنجره.
قد قرأت النص بالعربية، مترجمًا، وهو بذلك فاقد لكثير من جماليته اللغوية التي يمتاز بها شكسبير، وعلى الرغم من ذلك، فإنه مجوّد لدرجة كبيرة، بمعنى أن جهدًا كبيرًا بذل في بناء عمل ضخم بهذا الحجم، من المطالعة التاريخية، الأحداث، والشخوص أيضًا، ما يجعل مصافحة واحدة قليلة في حقّه؛ فالنصّ أريد له
  • Edward II
  • The Bacchae
  • The Night Thoreau Spent in Jail
  • Uncle Vanya
  • The Oresteia  (Ορέστεια, #1-3)
  • Samson Agonistes
  • The Duchess of Malfi
  • Four Major Plays, Vol. 1: A Doll House / The Wild Duck / Hedda Gabler / The Master Builder
  • The Maids Tragedy
  • Mother Courage and Her Children
  • Saint Joan
  • Oedipus at Colonus (The Theban Plays, #2)
  • The Changeling
  • Mourning Becomes Electra
  • The Night of the Iguana
  • Plays 5: Arcadia / The Real Thing / Night and Day / Indian Ink / Hapgood
William Shakespeare (baptised 26 April 1564) was an English poet and playwright, widely regarded as the greatest writer in the English language and the world's pre-eminent dramatist. He is often called England's national poet and the "Bard of Avon" (or simply "The Bard"). His surviving works consist of 38 plays, 154 sonnets, two long narrative poems, and several other poems. His plays have been tr ...more
More about William Shakespeare...

“The fault, dear Brutus, is not in our stars, but in ourselves.” 8143 likes
“Cowards die many times before their deaths;
The valiant never taste of death but once.
Of all the wonders that I yet have heard,
It seems to me most strange that men should fear;
Seeing that death, a necessary end,
Will come when it will come.”
3286 likes