Start by marking “No Roses for Harry!” as Want to Read:
No Roses for Harry!

No Roses for Harry! (Harry the Dog)

4.23  ·  Rating Details  ·  7,552 Ratings  ·  69 Reviews
The popular hero of Harry the Dirty Dog does his best to be rid of Grandmother’s birthday present—a silly green sweater with yellow roses. ‘Will bring laughter and sympathy. Recommended for all picture book collections.’ —SLJ.
Published October 6th 1976 by HarperCollins (first published September 17th 1958)

To ask other readers questions about No Roses for Harry!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about No Roses for Harry!

Where the Wild Things Are by Maurice SendakThe Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric CarleGreen Eggs and Ham by Dr. SeussThe Cat in the Hat by Dr. SeussBrown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See? by Bill Martin Jr.
Best Childhood Picture Books
61st out of 387 books — 418 voters
Go, Dog. Go! by P.D. EastmanDoc Tails by Othen Donald Dale CummingsThe Poky Little Puppy by Janette Sebring LowreyHarry the Dirty Dog by Gene ZionClifford the Big Red Dog by Norman Bridwell
Picture Books About Dogs
25th out of 238 books — 112 voters

More lists with this book...

Lara
I read this book soooooo many times as a kid. Partly I was just obsessed with dogs (okay, I still kind of am). But also, this story is just really, really cute! I reread it for the first time since childhood yesterday and yep, I still think it's great. I think maybe I could identify with Harry having to wear something he didn't like (although for the most part my parents let me dress myself, which, let me tell you, was brave of them), and it's nice that in the end Harry gets his way without hurt ...more
Diana
Feb 05, 2015 Diana rated it it was amazing
"No Roses for Harry" is a great book. I really enjoyed it. I love dogs and this.book is perfect for kids who love dogs.
Tanya
Feb 25, 2015 Tanya rated it it was amazing
Shelves: family
A 5-star story just as fun and enjoyable today as it was when written in the 1950s. Harry is the family dog. Grandma decides to give him a lovely give of a knitted sweater with roses all over it. Unfortunately, Harry does not like to wear roses on his sweater at all and begins to plot to get rid of the thing, trying to lose it here and there but just can't get rid of it! Finally, he pulls a thread lose and it starts to unravel. A bird notices and swoops down to grab the end of the thread, unrave ...more
Kristine Hansen
Nov 08, 2014 Kristine Hansen rated it really liked it
Poor Harry is given a truly ugly dog sweater. His solutions are humorous, as are the expressions of the family when they see what he's up to. His solution though is perfect (and not really his fault), and there's some real emotion when he finds out that the giver of the sweater is coming to visit. Good story all the way around. Harry is indeed a classic!
Katherine
Every Christmas morning we would sneak into Grannie's room so that she could read the new book she had brought us. It was her clever way of keeping over-excited children quiet for that precious extra half-hour. No Roses for Harry! was one of the books she brought us and I still have the 1969 edition she used! So yes I love it, it brings back happy memories of a very special time. But my modern child also loved it when I found it again and read it to him. Surely then this would make it a classic. ...more
Jared White
Harry receives a sweater from Grandma, it's snug and cosy but from the moment he sees it he doesn't like it because it's covered in roses! People laugh at him and dogs bark of him so he's determined to get rid of it and, as often happens when Harry is determined to do something, things just don't go according to plan. Not quite as text heavy as Harry by the Sea but still a little heavier than most modern children's books. Personally, even when I was a kid most of my favorite books had fairly mut ...more
Rosa Cline
Mar 28, 2014 Rosa Cline rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids
Harry the Dog books are lovable wonderful books that children would enjoy being read to or read themselves. The illustrations are basic pastel colors but draws you into them so even without able to read the words a child would LOVE sitting and looking at the pictures.

In this one Grandma sends Harry a sweater with roses on it for his birthday. He HATES roses so he tries everything he can to get rid of his sweater but it is always found. UNTIL he sees it start to unravel and a bird takes off with
Lisa Vegan
I like this one just as much as Harry the Dirty Dog. Both are favorites from childhood that today's children enjoy also. They're funny and enjoyable for adults as well as kids.
Jubilation Lee
Jan 27, 2011 Jubilation Lee rated it it was amazing
Any child forced to wear something Grandma has given them for Christmas will cheer Harry on as he manages to "lose" his ridiculous rose-patterned sweater.
Debbie
Jan 17, 2013 Debbie rated it really liked it
No Roses for Harry! is part of a series of books featuring the “white dog with black spots”. It was published in 1958 and I think my (taped & well-worn) copy of this charming tale was printed then.

Harry receives a gift from Grandma: a green sweater with yellow roses. He doesn’t like it much and tries to lose in a department store, to no avail. despite his cleverness trying to disguise the sweater in the spots he leaves it.Then a bird unravels a loose thread and takes Harry’s sweater to build
Catherine Boddie
This is one that I remember Mom reading to us as kids. I fell in love with the mischievous Harry. First published the year my mom was born, it's now a classic picture book that kids can still relate to today (especially with the continued trend of dressing dogs *cue bewildered head shaking*). As I've grown up, it is one of those books that I remember fondly and delight when I find it in my library to recommend to parents looking for books to read with their little ones (along with Caps for Sale, ...more
Libby
Feb 27, 2014 Libby rated it it was amazing
We love Harry the Dirty Dog, and when we saw this one that I don't remember seeing before, we got it right away. This was a funny story about Harry getting a hand-knit sweater...with roses that he does not like! The solution to Harry's problem is a bit far-fetched, but fun. The kids loved Harry, and I loved the knitting connection.
Karen
Oct 09, 2015 Karen rated it it was amazing
Harry is an adorable white dog with black spots. Grandma made him a green sweater with pink roses on it for his birthday. Silly Grandma. Kudos, though, to Grandma for not getting upset when she saw what Harry did with his sweater, and even more Kudos to Grandma for giving Harry exactly the right present for Christmas.

Lynley
May 25, 2015 Lynley rated it liked it
I like the Harry series, or any picturebook with slightly anthropomorphised animals, really, but this one is based on the premise that looking like a girl (covered in rose patterns) is shameful if you have any dignity whatsoever. That's my main gripe with this book.
Lindsee Colglazier
Feb 20, 2015 Lindsee Colglazier rated it really liked it
Harry doesn't like his sweater, so he tries to get rid of it, but it keeps getting found and brought back to him. Finally whenever he ends up getting rid of it for good, he actually needs to wear it to show the person who made it for him that he likes it. A mother bird took it and created a nest out of it. This book teaches children to appreciate what they have. There is always someone out there who will appreciate having the things that someone else doesn't appreciate.
Jbaccon
As wonderful and warm as the first Harry book. Hmm...I do see the child in Harry...Who hasn't had a gift from a granny that they really didn't like? Mischevious, naughty, caring and cute...he really just wants to please...that's Harry!
Pam
Jun 23, 2014 Pam rated it it was amazing
Fond memories of having this read to me as a child. I love the story and the pictures, so much of the reason why is because I remember it from my youth. That has such an impact on my enjoyment of the book later on in my life.
Rebecca Hernandez
Feb 05, 2015 Rebecca Hernandez rated it really liked it
This book can somewhat teach young students to be upfront and honest if there is something you don't like, instead log preventing the problem. It can also show them to appreciate what you recieve from others.
Robin
Apr 27, 2016 Robin rated it liked it
I might have really liked this book - except that I'm quite sure that after reading it something like 500 times during my children's early reading years it lost some of it's luster.
Meg Allison
Sep 27, 2012 Meg Allison rated it really liked it
Last week, I introduced Harry the Dirty Dog to my Kindergarten class, they loved it. Absolutely loved it. I used it as a tie in for how to take care of library books and if they should get dirty, well, let's not take a scrubbing brush to them, like Harry.

In re-discovering No Roses for Harry!, we can talk about "characters" - perfect new vocabulary word for the new Kindergarteners and we can explore themes of friendship and respect. And perhaps respect for each other's reading tastes, even if th
Ahouse4biswas
Oct 26, 2015 Ahouse4biswas rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-2015
Very relatable story, about receiving something that's well intentioned, but that you absolutely have no interest in. Told in such a way that's totally enjoyable by all ages.
Andrea Blythe
Aug 27, 2013 Andrea Blythe rated it it was amazing
My Review: No Roses for Harry! is a childhood favorite of mine. When Harry the white dog with black spots receives a knitted sweater from Grandma with roses on it, he plots to get rid of it if he can. The art is fun an playful and the story that unfolds is adorable with a wonderful surprise at the end.

My Niece's Review: This was one of her birthday gifts when she turned one year old and she loved it! She kept pointing at Harry and squeeled as I told the story. Toward the end she was a bit antsy
Phuong Dao
Dec 04, 2010 Phuong Dao rated it really liked it
This book is about a dog name Harry who is owner had gave him a sweater with rose on it. Harry hate it so much because he is a white dog with black spot. From time to time he try to get rid of the sweater but he couldn't. One day while he was outside a bird flew by and took the wool from his sweater and flew away with it. Harry was so happy because he doesn't have have to wear it anymore. One day when the grandmother came, Harry walk with her and the children to the park. He saw the bird made a ...more
Cynthia
I loved this story, about what to do with a gift that you really hate, even though you love the person who gave it.
Tara Calaby
Sep 06, 2015 Tara Calaby rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-book, animals
I enjoyed the Harry books a lot as a small child, and not just because I liked pretty much any book with a dog in it ;)
Heather
Aug 23, 2015 Heather rated it it was amazing
This is one of my classic childhood books I was always drawn to the simplicity of the colors.
Weeny
Apr 02, 2014 Weeny rated it really liked it
ハリーはいつも通り可愛いけど、おばあちゃんが作ってくれた薔薇柄のセーターをそこまで嫌がらなくてもいいのに・・とちょっと悲しい気分になったので、4つ。何回も読みたいと思う話ではなかった。 ...more
Lyn
Feb 18, 2016 Lyn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: class-1
What a delightful book. A class of 6/7 year olds laughed their heads off! A huge hit.
Anna H
Jan 31, 2015 Anna H rated it it was amazing
Hmmm, a sweater he can't loose...or maybe not...a great childhood story!
Joy
May 06, 2015 Joy rated it liked it
A cute story of Harry trying to get rid of an ugly sweater.
  • A Baby Sister for Frances
  • Richard Scarry's Please and Thank You Book
  • McDuff and the Baby
  • Lentil
  • Angus and the Cat
Born on October 5, in 1913, Gene Zion attended the New School of Social Research and the Pratt Institute. In 1948, he married artist Margaret Bloy Graham, who then collaborated with him on all his picture books. When their marriage ended in 1968, Zion also ended his career as an author. Zion is best known for his creation of the rascally dog, Harry, who appears in such books as HARRY THE DIRTY DOG ...more
More about Gene Zion...