No Roses for Harry!

No Roses for Harry! (Harry the Dog)

4.21 of 5 stars 4.21  ·  rating details  ·  5,786 ratings  ·  49 reviews
The popular hero of Harry the Dirty Dog does his best to be rid of Grandmother’s birthday present—a silly green sweater with yellow roses. ‘Will bring laughter and sympathy. Recommended for all picture book collections.’ —SLJ.
Published October 6th 1976 by HarperCollins (first published September 17th 1958)

To ask other readers questions about No Roses for Harry!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about No Roses for Harry!

Where the Wild Things Are by Maurice SendakThe Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric CarleGreen Eggs and Ham by Dr. SeussThe Cat in the Hat by Dr. SeussBrown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See? by Bill Martin Jr.
Best Childhood Picture Books
46th out of 300 books — 341 voters
Doc Tails by Othen Donald Dale CummingsGo, Dog. Go! by P.D. EastmanHarry the Dirty Dog by Gene ZionThe Poky Little Puppy by Janette Sebring LowreyClifford the Big Red Dog by Norman Bridwell
Picture Books About Dogs
20th out of 206 books — 98 voters

More lists with this book...

Rosa Cline
Harry the Dog books are lovable wonderful books that children would enjoy being read to or read themselves. The illustrations are basic pastel colors but draws you into them so even without able to read the words a child would LOVE sitting and looking at the pictures.

In this one Grandma sends Harry a sweater with roses on it for his birthday. He HATES roses so he tries everything he can to get rid of his sweater but it is always found. UNTIL he sees it start to unravel and a bird takes off with...more
Lisa Vegan
I like this one just as much as Harry the Dirty Dog. Both are favorites from childhood that today's children enjoy also. They're funny and enjoyable for adults as well as kids.
Monica!
Any child forced to wear something Grandma has given them for Christmas will cheer Harry on as he manages to "lose" his ridiculous rose-patterned sweater.
Debbie
No Roses for Harry! is part of a series of books featuring the “white dog with black spots”. It was published in 1958 and I think my (taped & well-worn) copy of this charming tale was printed then.

Harry receives a gift from Grandma: a green sweater with yellow roses. He doesn’t like it much and tries to lose in a department store, to no avail. despite his cleverness trying to disguise the sweater in the spots he leaves it.Then a bird unravels a loose thread and takes Harry’s sweater to build...more
Catherine Boddie
This is one that I remember Mom reading to us as kids. I fell in love with the mischievous Harry. First published the year my mom was born, it's now a classic picture book that kids can still relate to today (especially with the continued trend of dressing dogs *cue bewildered head shaking*). As I've grown up, it is one of those books that I remember fondly and delight when I find it in my library to recommend to parents looking for books to read with their little ones (along with Caps for Sale,...more
Lara
I read this book soooooo many times as a kid. Partly I was just obsessed with dogs (okay, I still kind of am). But also, this story is just really, really cute! I reread it for the first time since childhood yesterday and yep, I still think it's great. I think maybe I could identify with Harry having to wear something he didn't like (although for the most part my parents let me dress myself, which, let me tell you, was brave of them), and it's nice that in the end Harry gets his way without hurt...more
Libby
We love Harry the Dirty Dog, and when we saw this one that I don't remember seeing before, we got it right away. This was a funny story about Harry getting a hand-knit sweater...with roses that he does not like! The solution to Harry's problem is a bit far-fetched, but fun. The kids loved Harry, and I loved the knitting connection.
Pam
Fond memories of having this read to me as a child. I love the story and the pictures, so much of the reason why is because I remember it from my youth. That has such an impact on my enjoyment of the book later on in my life.
Meg Allison
Last week, I introduced Harry the Dirty Dog to my Kindergarten class, they loved it. Absolutely loved it. I used it as a tie in for how to take care of library books and if they should get dirty, well, let's not take a scrubbing brush to them, like Harry.

In re-discovering No Roses for Harry!, we can talk about "characters" - perfect new vocabulary word for the new Kindergarteners and we can explore themes of friendship and respect. And perhaps respect for each other's reading tastes, even if th...more
Andrea Blythe
My Review: No Roses for Harry! is a childhood favorite of mine. When Harry the white dog with black spots receives a knitted sweater from Grandma with roses on it, he plots to get rid of it if he can. The art is fun an playful and the story that unfolds is adorable with a wonderful surprise at the end.

My Niece's Review: This was one of her birthday gifts when she turned one year old and she loved it! She kept pointing at Harry and squeeled as I told the story. Toward the end she was a bit antsy...more
Phuong Dao
This book is about a dog name Harry who is owner had gave him a sweater with rose on it. Harry hate it so much because he is a white dog with black spot. From time to time he try to get rid of the sweater but he couldn't. One day while he was outside a bird flew by and took the wool from his sweater and flew away with it. Harry was so happy because he doesn't have have to wear it anymore. One day when the grandmother came, Harry walk with her and the children to the park. He saw the bird made a...more
Weeny
ハリーはいつも通り可愛いけど、おばあちゃんが作ってくれた薔薇柄のセーターをそこまで嫌がらなくてもいいのに・・とちょっと悲しい気分になったので、★4つ。何回も読みたいと思う話ではなかった。
Aine
My favorite of the Harry series. I love how even a dog has good taste and unravels it so that he doesn't have to wear it - and it ends up being a nest for a bird! Just so darn cute! My boys laugh and laugh at that. In that story the kids learn that sometimes it's okay not to like a gift given, and if you find out your gift isn't liked the way you thought it would be, it's okay - love them and learn what they like for next time. Something I think the adult world could learn! Harry made his debut...more
Jerusha Jones
I only have one beef with this book (which I absolutely adore), and that is the illustrator had absolutely no idea about knitting intarsia. The yarn, as depicted, has yet to be invented - yarn that can create the pictures of roses, in the round, with differing circumferences in the sweater for Harry and the bird's nest. Just a technical impossibility that any experienced knitter would spot immediately.

Otherwise, a sweet, sweet story. I love all the Harry books and make sure to include a board bo...more
Maggie
I've decided to start marking books that were my favorites as a child so I don't forget to buy them for the children in my life.
===========
No Roses for Harry is a story of a frustrated be-sweatered dog who diligently tries to rid himself of his rosey knit masterpiece. I can't remember exactly why I loved it, but considering I remember the name of the book 20 years later, it had to have been good!
Samma
Oh, those Grandmas... Their hearts are in the right place, but they never quite get it right the first try for their "cool" grandkids, do they? And when one of your grandkids is a dog...well, they're pickier than the human ones! A cute little story that has withstood the test of time. Another character that has stood out for almost 60 years and will continue to entertain for generations.
Kaye
Harry (dog) received an ugly rose sweater from grandma. Harry tried to lose it. Harry snags a thread and a bird pulled the loose end and unravels the entire sweater. When Grandma visits they discover the thread woven into a bird's nest up in a park tree. Grandma makes Harry a new "B&W" spotted sweater. 1950’S art work. Fun Story. Series.
Ann
I laughed and laughed at this story of a little dog trying to get rid of a sweater he hates, probably because it reminds me of the kinds of things I do to my own dog and how much she hates wearing costumes. I loved the 1950s atmosphere of the pictures, too. It's just completely charming and old-fashioned, in the best sense.
Jacqueline
TeeTee
I didn't like some of the really negative sentences about how harry didn't like roses in the first couple pages so I skipped them when I read the book to Micah. But Micah really latched on to this book. I think he liked the illustrations and the ending :) We've read it over and over the last cpl days.
Robin Morris
I like Harry because he knows exactly what he likes. He is also comfortable with himself and likes himself. He is a white dog with black spots.

As a learning extension, I would have the children create a paper plate image of themselves. Use colored yarn for their and flesh colored paint for their faces.
Amy
Finally! I have been trying to find the title of this book for ages now! I had a distant memory of a book with pictures of a dog and roses and a lady in green hues and I had no idea what the title was, i just remembered reading it and liking the pictures. So glad i've found it at last!
Arianna
I just remember loving this book because of the nest which the bird makes out of Harry's sweater - and how it was in the same pattern as the sweater! Even then, well before I was a knitter and understood the techniques, I knew that wasn't possible, but it was so cool in the book! :)
Beth
Harry really doesn't care for the sweater Grandma got him for his birthday. The bird used the thread to make a nest and all seem happy when they see the nest in the park. He does like his cozy black and white spotted sweater that he receives for Christmas.
Paula
How can Harry avoid hurting Grandma's feelings when he can't stand the sweater she made just for him? Believe me, he finds a way to outdo her generosity and delight everyone as usual. Can't help loving Harry! What a dog!
Dolly
Sep 26, 2008 Dolly rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: parents reading to their children
Shelves: 2007, childrens, pets
A cute story about a dog who doesn't like his present from Grandma. Our girls liked this one. We have enjoyed reading all of the Harry books together.
Mandy Hoffman
A funny story about Harry and his dislike for a the sweater that Grandma gave him. So when a bird takes it away he's happy and Grandma makes him one that he likes a whole lot more!
Amy
Can you really blame Harry for wanting to get rid of the sweater? My Kindergarteners couldn't. Harry's repurposed gift for the bird gets a large laugh out of my kids.
Marianne Reeves
Another great story featuring Harry the dog. A sweet tale told with old-fashioned charm and Margaret Bloy Graham's whimsical, bold illustrations.
Susan Erhardt
Harry hates his birthday sweater from Grandma and manages to give it to a bird. My five-year-old and I both love this story.
  • A Birthday for Frances
  • Alexander and the Wind-Up Mouse
  • Lyle, Lyle, Crocodile
  • Katy No-Pocket
  • I Am a Bunny
Born on October 5, in 1913, Gene Zion attended the New School of Social Research and the Pratt Institute. In 1948, he married artist Margaret Bloy Graham, who then collaborated with him on all his picture books. When their marriage ended in 1968, Zion also ended his career as an author. Zion is best known for his creation of the rascally dog, Harry, who appears in such books as HARRY THE DIRTY DOG...more
More about Gene Zion...
Harry the Dirty Dog Harry and the Lady Next Door  Harry by the Sea A Harry The Dirty Dog Treasury: Three Stories The Plant Sitter