Dragon Stew

Dragon Stew

4.03 of 5 stars 4.03  ·  rating details  ·  95 ratings  ·  25 reviews
Five bored Vikings went out hiking, looking for adventure, something daring, bold and new. So they thought they'd hunt dragon, and then tie it to their wagon, take it home and chop it up, and make dragon stew! But when the Vikings set off to find their dragon, they get a BIG surprise...Hilarious, rhyming story from the award-winning author, Steve Smallman. The quirky, deta...more
Published October 1st 2010 by Good Books (first published January 1st 2010)

Beth
This story was chosen by my year 2 class to read to them during story time. After reading it with them I now know why they love it so much.

It is written in rhyme and is really easy to read aloud for both adults and children. The pictures are really colourful, with lots of detail and humour and the speech bubbles went down a storm with my class as they read them in various silly voices, much to their amusement.

Dragon’s Stew is a story that follows five very bored Vikings, who one day decide for...more
Hobbes
Gorgeous detailed illustrations with rhyming story perfection.

Bored vickings are on a mission to make Dragon Stew and set off on their quest. Every tot I know has squealed or grinned with delight as they come across a big steaming, gleaming pile of poo!

Even the dragon is sooo posh drinking his tea? with his curling bib and claw/pinkie raised. He tells them that making Dragon Stew is such a nasty thing to do (I imagine him/and speak his lines with a posh accent).

Does he teach them a lesson? He...more
Tricia
I always struggle with books like this one...where I was so NOT impressed but my audience LOVED it and demanded a re-read! 5 vikings (who aren't too bright) apparently are tired of pillaging and want to find a dragon to slay and eat. The illustrations are terrific...detailed and quirky but the text left me flat. And teh ending...well, it was flat.
Sandy
I'm going on a dragon hunt and I am taking a poking stick, sardine sandwiches, a ball of string and a fishing net. If you are reading Steve Smallman's book you are packing everything you will need to accompany this novel's group of Vikings as they aboard their longboat to find themselves a dragon. These Vikings are a humorous bunch of folks and I would love to read more about their adventures if there were more books about them. They encounter a giant squid and are able to fight him off with ama...more
Big Book Little Book
We have just acquired this book and we love it! It has been read most nights since we got it, and we still giggle every time. As you can see from the above it is written in rhyme and is really easy to read aloud. The pictures are brightly coloured, with lots of detail and humour and they back up the story fantastically well.

The Vikings load up their boat and go to hunt down a dragon when they are bored one day. None of them actually even know what a dragon is! They take sardine sandwiches (the p...more
Tina Roberts
In Steve Smallman and Lee Wildish’s hilarious caper, five bored Vikings are looking for adventure, so they embark on a dragon hunt. They plan to tie a dragon to their wagon, bring him home and chop him up to make dragon stew.

Predictably, things don’t quite go to plan and there are very amusing consequences when the Vikings finally come face to face with the dragon.

I read this book with a huge smile on my face. It’s funny from cover to cover and I’m sure it would have pupils roaring with laughter...more
Hayley Noble
My 2 year old's favorite book. We read it at least 3 times a week, and I can recite it word for word without it in front of me.

However, I don't mind. I enjoy the rhyming, the vikings make me laugh and I love how well written it is for its target audience.

Well worth a read, I doubt you will find a child who doesn't like this funny, and imaginative story.
Morgan Wiley
The Bugs enjoyed this one but once read, they haven't requested to read it again. The illustrations were cute. The tea drinking, bow tie wearing dragon is my favorite part. I have a strong dislike for poop/fart jokes, so the "giant, gleaming pile of dragon poop" kept me from giving this book 4 stars. Just personal preference, of course. Overall, cute kid story.
Msjennifers Corner
The rhyming is not quite right but otherwise this book is a very funny story to share with kids. 5 bored vikings want something to do so they decide to seek a dragon to make dragon stew...because that is something new. Potty humor ensues but it makes the book enjoyable. Even older readers will enjoy this in a group setting.
Eva Zákravská
Illustrations great, text not so well...
Lisa Carroll
The bold cover of this book grabbed my son's attention at the library. Dragons and vikings...this was the first book he grabbed to look at for the car ride home. He enjoyed the silliness and nonesense of the book. I always include "fine" literature and books that include facts and non-fiction books, but sometimes what we need is just some silliness. This book fit the bill and kept his attention with it's colorful pictures.
Regina
Fearless, and bored Vikings set out to find something to do, and decide the best bet is to hunt down a dragon and make it into a stew. They were really kind of clueless and funny, but there were some parts that seemed a little bully-ish.
Caren
Such a lot of silly, rhyming fun! I could tell it was British by some of the terms used ("poo", "bum") and the fact that the hoard of Vikings packed a stack of sardine sandwiches "in case they missed their tea". The illustrations are bright and clever and the story begs to be read aloud.
Jenn
Stupid vikings decide to quest for a dragon to eat (out of boredom). On the way, they wrangle a giant squid and a killer whale. They miss the chance to befriend a lonely dragon and end up with singed bums. What's not to like?
Cute illustrations. Great rhyming structure. The 5th star was for the adorable dog in this book. It's just one of those little things that isn't remotely significant to the story, but was probably my favorite part.
Melinda Salmon
This was great fun to read with my 3 year old. We are taking it home to read at bedtime again tonight. The storey flows well, appeals to his age group, and the pictures are fun to look at and discuss.
Heather
25 months - Rhyming fun and silliness, new vocabulary as well (British slang). The illustrations and story are just plain fun entertainment.
Christine Turner
When five bored Vikings go looking for adventure, they decide on a fearless quest to catch a dragon for their stew. www.hcpl.net
Melissa
Bonus points for: a rhyme that scans well, defeating a squid with a smelly Viking sock, and of course the mention of dragon poo.
Mandi Murphy
Super fun book about five bored Vikings and the trouble that finds them. My son loves to have it read to him.
Denise
Underwear, dragon poo and 5 not-so-bright vikings makes this entertaining for some. I'm not particularly impressed.
Jodi
Nov 19, 2010 Jodi rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: kids
We loved giggling at these 5 misguided vikings on a dragon hunt! Loved it!
Adam
Anything that includes a mountain of poo is quality literature.
Ardis
cute, with a little potty humor to get the kids giggling.
Natasha
Irreverent and amusing with glorious pictures.
Laurie
Feb 07, 2012 Laurie rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Carrie,
Shelves: children-s-books
So so fun for the dragon loving kid in your life
Nancy Jo Lambert
I will review this one on my blog...
Tana
Cute. Loved the illustrations.
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Steve Smallman lives in Staffordshire with his wife, two dogs and two cats. He has four children and a grandchild. Steve has been illustrating children’s books for almost 30 years and writing his own stories for slightly less. He also teaches illustration workshops in schools, including mural-painting. Steve is the author of Smelly Peter the Great Pea Eater (Winner of the Sheffield Children's Book...more
More about Steve Smallman...
The Lamb Who Came for Dinner Don't Wake the Bear! The Very Greedy Bee My Dad Bear's Big Bottom