Start by marking “50 Modern Artists You Should Know” as Want to Read:
50 Modern Artists You Should Know

50 Modern Artists You Should Know

3.86  ·  Rating Details  ·  85 Ratings  ·  11 Reviews
A century and a half of masterpieces is covered in this chronologically arranged volume that beautifully captures the development of art in a new age. Starting with James Abbott McNeill Whistler and ending with Matthew Barney, nearly every prominent figure in Modern art is represented in vibrant double-page spreads that show how these artists continued to redefine norms an ...more
Published August 30th 2010 by Prestel Publishing

To ask other readers questions about 50 Modern Artists You Should Know, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about 50 Modern Artists You Should Know

Mar Dixon
Apr 07, 2012 Mar Dixon rated it it was amazing
Anyone with even a passing interesting in modern art needs to own, at the very least, have access to this informational book by Prestel Publishing.

While I originally debated some of the artists (Whistler and Cezanne), it is fascinating to read a fact cheat sheets on each of the 50 artists. The book is designed so you don’t have to read front to back, however, it does make for an incredibly interesting read when you do.
For the most part, each artist has a comprehensive biography listing the imp
Jenifer Ruff
Jan 09, 2015 Jenifer Ruff rated it it was amazing
I love this book, easy to read and provides so much information, some of it new, some of it remembered. I bought it for my children and set it on the kitchen table so they could learn a few things...and there it sat, unopened for the past month. Finally I sat down with it myself, to take a peek, and ended up reading through most of it in one sitting. The book contains a one page summary of each artist's upbringing, influences, and significant works. Each artist's lifespan is depicted on the top ...more
Mar 29, 2015 Laura rated it it was amazing
This is just the right book for an introduction to contemporary art. I've always wanted to have at least a mental category for the most commonly mentioned modern artists (Van Gogh, Picasso, Degas, Cezanne, Cassatt, Duchamp, Seurat, Monet, etc.) and most recognizable paintings, and this book provides both. After reading the INCOMPARABLY FANTASTIC Saving Leonardo (and as I am reading Francis Schaeffer's The God Who is There), this is a perfect companion to help me understand the artists and works ...more
Robert
Jul 09, 2011 Robert rated it really liked it
Shelves: art
Although most of the usual suspects are featured (Picasso, Monet, Chagall, etc.), there were a few unfamiliar names. Jean-Michel Basquiat, a young 1980's protege of Andy Warhol, stands out for his meteoric rise, and the brevity of his of his career cut short by heroine.

However, I did notice the complete absence of Asian artists. There is certainly a long list of asian artists deserving entry, Isamu Noguchi to name just one. I would have been more impressed had the collection included much lesser
Peter Wolfley
May 20, 2013 Peter Wolfley rated it liked it
This is a pretty good collection of modern artists' works and biographies, but there seems to be no reason or rhyme to how they chose them or how many works to include from each artist. People you've never heard of get a full spread and some of the greats barely get a page.

My home slice Chagall only got a page so therefore only 3 stars.

One of the most striking and disturbing pieces in the book was The Physical Impossibility of Death in the Mind of Someone Living , which looks like this:

Art i
the gift
Apr 12, 2013 the gift rated it really liked it
more like ’50 modern artworks you should know’- anyone who has even a passing interest in art history will find all the signature if not stereotypical images to these artists. you know, the usual suspects: les demoiselles d’avignon for picasso, the scream for munch… but they are nice reproductions, there are some more recent artists like hirsch and basquiat. and maybe it is a good intro to those just starting art history.
Jessica
Nov 19, 2015 Jessica rated it it was ok
I found the biographical information pretty standard and boring, unfortunately. Often the works discussed were not works that were included as images. Writing and presentation could have been better.
Tina
Jun 02, 2016 Tina rated it really liked it
Enjoyable
Teddy Farias
Jul 07, 2014 Teddy Farias rated it really liked it
brief but informative snapshot of modern artists. loved it. introduced me to 10 artists that I will research on!
Sharon
Aug 20, 2011 Sharon rated it liked it
Shelves:
Of course, who could come clost to the 20,000 white balloons at Tate St Ives??
Bradley
Jul 23, 2011 Bradley rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2011
This is a nice introduction to modern art.
Elli Unicorn
Elli Unicorn rated it really liked it
Jun 08, 2016
Julia Grundling
Julia Grundling marked it as to-read
Apr 26, 2016
Sheryl
Sheryl rated it really liked it
May 11, 2016
Hunter Swenson
Hunter Swenson marked it as to-read
Apr 11, 2016
Nancy
Nancy rated it it was amazing
Apr 27, 2016
Matthew
Matthew marked it as to-read
Mar 14, 2016
Carlton Duff
Carlton Duff rated it liked it
Mar 09, 2016
Patti
Patti rated it it was amazing
Feb 20, 2016
Kiley
Kiley marked it as to-read
Feb 19, 2016
Kayleigh
Kayleigh marked it as to-read
Feb 02, 2016
jean
jean added it
Jan 20, 2016
Mjspice
Mjspice marked it as to-read
Jan 14, 2016
wanda boyles
wanda boyles rated it it was amazing
Dec 20, 2015
Lauren
Lauren marked it as to-read
Dec 18, 2015
Ana  Diaz
Ana Diaz rated it really liked it
Dec 15, 2015
Lindsey Smith
Lindsey Smith rated it really liked it
Dec 21, 2015
Rachel Merritt
Rachel Merritt rated it really liked it
Oct 18, 2015