Start by marking “Another Important Book” as Want to Read:

The Important thing
about being One
is that life
has just begun.

In a playful voice that is uniquely Margaret Wise Brown's comes this delightful picture book about just what it means to be six, five, four, three, one, two and 'most importantly' you. Caldecott Honor Medalist Chris Raschka's innovative illustrations burst with energy and literally dance along with Brown's whi
Published September 22nd 1999 by HarperCollins (first published 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Another Important Book, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Another Important Book

Robert
I use The Important Book as a springboard for my students to write. I have been doing that for years.

Today I looked for that book on my bookshelf and could not find it. I am certain it is at home and not at school. I then thought to check the school library. The school does not have it, but it does have this book, which I never knew existed until today.

I went down and checked out the book. While the book does not really fit for the writing project I use the other book for, Another Important Book
Karen
My five-year-old picked out this book from the library last week.

I'm not always a fan of Chris Raschka's artwork, but in this book it works perfectly. The text is standard Margaret Wise Brown-good, but it might have felt a bit dated and stilted if it were not for the modernizing effect of Raschka's work.

Absolutely brilliant team-up.
Vj
Great book to read with a young child. I think it would resonate especially well with a very active young boy I once knew. He would have had to act out everything to show me that he too could do all those things.
Katlin Sims
This book highlights important things about being different ages. It starts with age one and goes all the way through age six. This book shows how children grow and important milestones that children usually reach within a certain age range. In the back of the book there is a mirror and the book ends by saying that the most important thing at any age "is that you are you." The children can look at themselves in the mirror and see how special and unique they are. The use of the mirror is a great ...more
Barnak
Neel liked it because it had a mirror. Deep liked it because the topic was really good.
Dana Pressnell
Simple text about ages 1 to 6. Good for simple summarizing.
Skylar Burris
"No!" said my daughter in response to this book's claim that "the important thing about being Four is that you are bigger than you were before." She protested adamantly. "That's not the most important thing! The most important thing is that we love everyone and love God!" Thus, reading children's books to my daughter has turned into a regular sermon. As for the book – mostly uninspiring. I don't even much care for the pictures.
Kristy Powers
This book is pretty right on! I think it is an important book to little tikes. In fact, the text reminds me of things Mr. Rogers would say. My four-year-old doesn't sit for just any book, but he sat and listened to this one. It's not my favorite of hers by any means, but the previous sentence is proof my son took it seriously. Written by Margaret Wise Brown and illustrated by Chris Raschka.
Sebin
A book about how being you is important! This book talks about the important things about being ages 1-6 and most importantly, being YOU! This book could also be used in terms of math for younger children who are starting to count because the numbers only go up to 6 however the illustrations will help the children point and count each picture.
Jeanette
We are reading many of Margaret Wise Browns books to find out what she wrote besides the popular and well known Goodnight Moon and The Runaway Bunny. My 2 year old really likes this one. She calls it the shape book because of the shapes on the cover. It is a cute book about growing up and all the things you can do the older you get.
Meg
I liked the illustrations less than those in The Important Book, and after discussing with a colleague, we think this book was published from Wise Brown's unfinished manuscripts after her death.

Still cute, still features solid writing/language. Would be fun to read with multiple young children of different ages.
Jillian Reed
This is such a great book about the ages 1-6 an the different abilities each age brings. This could be read to all different types of ages. The teacher could ask the students to write about their favorite memories about each age or what age would they want to be right now if they could. So many possibilities!
Relyn
Jun 27, 2010 Relyn rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents of toddlers and preschoolers
Recommended to Relyn by: I've been reading MWB's books lately.
You know how much I love The Important BOok. I don't know if you know how much I love Chris Raschka, though. You can imagine how excited I was when I spotted this posthumously published book by Margaret Wise Brown. It's great. Really great! If you have a toddler or preschooler, run out and buy this book.
Josiah
I like the way that this book honestly and affectionately shows kids of each age just how special it is to be that age, without adding or subtracting one single year. Margaret Wise Brown has a way with words even when they are spare, and her touch to this book brings the story much warmth.
Samantha
A picture book that celebrates the abilities children have from ages 1-6. Each year, a child acquires more skills and each is celebrated in rhyming text and watercolor artwork. This is an active read aloud for toddlers and preschoolers that features text that encourages movement.
Susannah Goldstein
I really love how this book featured the exciting developments of each age, and the beautiful illustrations by Raschka really brought the narrative to life. For some reason, though, I couldn't get into the rhythm of the narrative, so the book felt off to me.
Julie Graham 47150
My first graders love this book! They think it is wildly funny and they all want to share what they did when they were each of these ages. They especially love the last page and can't wait for their turn to look in the mirror!
Lauren Brown
A simple and cute book with rhyming texts that goes through the development of ages one through six. The text is a little more developed than what a young child can read, but an earlier reader will be able to read it easily.
Anaeka
This book is memorable as A learnt to laugh, cry, cough and many more action words. She would ' perform' these actions on cue as I read the book. It is a tad long for a 15 month old though.
Angelica
Very cute book. Loved the surprise at the end. When I read it to my 4 year old the first time, he really wanted to know what happens at 5 and 6.
Randie
A tribute to growing children that showcases the special things about being One, Two, Three, Four, Five, and Six years old. Fun illustrations.
Victoria Clay
This cute little book talks about the important things about a person as they grwo up. It is a great book for read-aloud.
Pauline
I really like the idea of this book as a mentor text for young readers and writers...it is so focused on individuality!
Amanda
A really good one that I could see as a classic and a great birthday/baby shower gift.
Rebecca
Gorgeous illustrations, terrific story, excellent surprise format.
Charlie Beck
Ages 1-6 are talked about and what makes them special.
Wendy
Wendy marked it as to-read
Jan 04, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Margaret Wise Brown wrote hundreds of books and stories during her life, but she is best known for Goodnight Moon and The Runaway Bunny. Even though she died nearly 60 years ago, her books still sell very well.

Margaret loved animals. Most of her books have animals as characters in the story. She liked to write books that had a rhythm to them. Sometimes she would put a hard word into the story or p
More about Margaret Wise Brown...
Goodnight Moon The Runaway Bunny Big Red Barn Home for a Bunny The Color Kittens