Charlie Parker Played Be Bop

Charlie Parker Played Be Bop

4.07 of 5 stars 4.07  ·  rating details  ·  299 ratings  ·  75 reviews
The beloved best-seller by award-winning illustrator Chris Raschka, author and illustrator of YO! YES?, is now in board book format for young children.

Ever hear of Charlie Parker? The great jazz saxophone player? If you have or if you haven't, it's okay. Look at this board book and you'll hear Charlie Parker; you'll hear music in your mind.
"Be bop. Fisk, fisk. Lollipop. Bo...more
Board Book, 14 pages
Published March 1st 2004 by Orchard (first published 1992)

Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See? by Bill Martin Jr.Pete the Cat by Eric LitwinThe Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric CarleBark, George by Jules FeifferFrom Head to Toe by Eric Carle
How to rock toddler storytime
115th out of 275 books — 106 voters
Where the Wild Things Are by Maurice SendakGreen Eggs and Ham by Dr. SeussThe Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric CarleThe Giving Tree by Shel SilversteinCharlotte's Web by E.B. White
Best children's books EVER
430th out of 918 books — 1,101 voters

More lists with this book...

June
Feb 01, 2010 June rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition Recommends it for: parents and young children
Shelves: programbook
I find myself returning to use this book every year for storytime. The playful rhythm and rhyme of the book make it a wonderful introduction to be bop. The illustrations are very whimsical with a overshoes and lollipops walking around and Charlie Parker playing upside down on one page. What a fun way to introduce a child to Charlie Parker! There is also a kit available that has the story performed by Richard Allen and includes "Night in Tunisia" which inspired Raschka to write the book.
Saashya Rodrigo
I really couldn't connect with this book, and I LOVE jazz. I'm sure if it's read right, it'll be a great book. But I tried reading it several times and I just wasn't getting it. It made no sense to me.
Kim
Apr 22, 2011 Kim rated it 2 of 5 stars
Shelves: laptime
I've tried to do this one for storytime and didn't get the hang of the scat, but it has been recommended to me for laptime so I think I will try again. I have a lot more hope for it for laptime because babies will appreciate the sound and not be looking for meaning in the nonsensically language. Also, I'm going to have to pick up a copy with the CD because I think that will help loads.

Edit: *Sigh* I had hoped this book would make sense to me with the CD, it didn't. The CD goes through the book o...more
James Govednik
I just discovered this book, and I wish I had known of it earlier! Loved it! I read along as I listened to the audio CD the author released in 2000 with jazz vocalist Richard Allen (Live Oak Media—a different ISBN for some reason, which was illegible on the library CD). The audio recording really helps to fully appreciate the book, unless you have a natural sense of be bop jazz and scat singing. This genre works best when background information is included, and since the edition I read had none,...more
Josephine
There are a few books that I find myself buying over and over again. I always end up giving away my copy, or thinking of another person who *needs* to have it. Charlie Parker Played Be Bop is definitely in that category.

On the surface, Chris Raschka's illustrations are so full of color and whimsy that you want to linger on each page a moment, just to breathe it in. But beyond that, Charlie Parker Played Be Bop is one of those rare books that can actually make you feel what the author is describi...more
Emily H.
Book type: Picture storybook
Intended audience: three year olds to five year olds. Preschool.

The first time I read this book I was completely unimpressed. I saw this, but then I haven't been able to stop thinking about it since. I gave someone a pile of fifty biographies for children in the age range of 4-8 years old. Two weeks later, that person, too, asked me the name of this book. I never even knew that there was a picture book genre about music. I'm glad there is. I think it would be fun to...more
Samantha
This is a fantastic picture book that I believe could spark students curiosity in Jazz. Some books come with a cd that goes into more depth about Parker and Be Bop. I'd love to read this to students while playing Jazz music in the background. I also love the bright illustrations and lightheartedness of the text.
Eric
this is probably one of my favorite all-time books to read to my children. it has been a favorite around our house for years, and to all of my children. the playful, nonsensical narrative echoes the phrasing, rhythm, and playfulness of charlie parker's music -- or any bebop for that matter. this book is a wonderful early tool for nurturing music appreciation, individuality, creativity, humor, and general silliness. the artwork beautifully complements the narrative, which, i meant to add, absolut...more
Crystal
How did I miss this FANTASTIC 1992 picture biography of Charlie Parker? How cool is the text to inspire both adults and the youngest of young? Yes, you can read this to babies and toddlers. They will dance to it! "Be bop. Fisk, fisk. Lollipop. Boomba, boomba. Bus stop. Zznnzznn. Boppitty, bibbitty, bop..." Thank you, my friend Margaret, for introducing me to this author. Never leave your cat alone.
Jamila
This book is even better when read along with the CD. On the CD, Raschka provides a brief, but informative, background on Parker, jazz/bebop, the style of the oral reading and of the text. The CD also includes an original recording of "A Night in Tunisia" by Parker, Mingus, Gillespie, et al.

Fun, fun, fun - great use for storytime or to inspire writing and creative thinking. I plan to use the book and CD in April for Jazz Appreciation Month/Poetry Month. I will definitely purchase it for my nephe...more
Barbara
This picture book about saxophonist Charlie Parker simply must be read along with musical accompaniment--in order for readers and listeners to hear the beats that play out across the book's pages as well as in order to appreciate the musician's genius. As birds and objects move to the rhythm of his sounds, his faithful cat waits patiently at home. The cat looks positively sulky and put upon by the time the final illustration is in place. The sounds are fun to say and hear, and this book is likel...more
Sara
A baby-shower gift and now one of my favorites to read to the baby. The sing-songy nonsense lyrics are a kind of jazz, and the drawings are pretty cute, especially for the line "never leave your cat alone." There is a metaphorical black cat with soulful eyes staring out of the page. The other day this picture really caught the baby's attention, and he reached (as opposed to grabbed) for the book much as he reaches for our non-metaphorical cat. (We can't wait for him to stop petting the cat with...more
Paul
Great paintings of Parker with music spiraling inside him, coming up and out of his saxaphone and filling the air. At moments the conceptual nature of the book seems to come undone. However, the whimsical appearance of birds adopting all kinds of different poses and disguises and the brooding cat don't so much play out a storyline as give the feeling of Parker's playing - any attempt to turn this linear will be frustrating and make the book a disappointment. I can see how reading this out loud w...more
Tommy
Saw this illustrator/author at the Decatur Book Festival, and his love of jazz enraptured me. I bought three of his books - this one, one about Monk, and one about Coltrane.

His illustrations are very jazz-inspired, and his syncopated approach to writing is fun and a great way to turn kids onto the rhythms and swing of classic jazz.

That my kids are 7 and 5 and now know who Bird and Trane are gives me hope. I appreciate this talented guy giving them an in-road to America's truest art form: jazz.
Emilie Morris
Why this book?: To add depth to collection

Genre: Biography, Historical Fiction

Theme/Keywords: Jazz, Charlie Parker, Scat, Be Bop

Special Features: Some books come with CD that help kids understand rhythm and scat.

Characteristics of quality: Great for young children--rhythm and scat explored in the text.

Gender of primary character: Male

Race/ethnicity of primary character: African-American

Open Ended Question: Can you make music like he did? How?

Christian Houseworth
I love this book because it is like a song or a rhythm that I believe can hook and inspire all students. This book is included in the collection of African American literature. This book would be a great read aloud because the text is very simple and the students can easily pick up the lines. Also, this is a great book for teaching sound recognition. This is also a great book to integrate music and literature and to teach the writers craft of repetition.
Shawn
Jan 18, 2008 Shawn rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition Recommends it for: anyone who likes jazz and has a baby
Shelves: childrens, music
Don't worry, I'm not going to fill up my GoodReads list with childrens books. Only the very good (and perhaps the very bad). I'm not going to list every single Seuss book that I read.

But what can you say about a childrens book about Charlie "Bird" Parker and bebop? Fantastic! It has a great flow to the book and is very 50's jazzy.

I checked out the Thelonious Monk and John Coltrane books by Raschka, but this one is definitely the best.
Warnie B.
This one grew on me over time. The first time I read it I was...just confused. What does the cat have to do with anything? Lollipops? Whaaat? I figured it was just because I don't really know much about Charlie Parker or jazz in general. But anyway, after hearing it read aloud several times, I started to really enjoy it. It's fun to get kids repeating the lines after you--there really is a great rhythm to it.

I still don't trust that cat though...
Karan Johnstone
Chris Raschka spoke at the Children's Literature Conference on 6/25/13. He gave great ideas of how to have the kids act out the books as it is read aloud. This way the kids not only listen but also get engaged in the book.
This book was about Charlie Parker and the sounds he made when he was playing the saxophone.
This would be a good book for a music teacher to use to introduce the saxophone.
Isha Barrie
This book is weird, but that's why I like it!! I feel that this book comes with some type of song to make following the eccentric pages easier to follow I just wish I knew where to find it. I can tell that it goes with a jazz themed song because of the jazz player playing the sax on the cover so it would be very interesting being read this book again with a saxophone following the words.
June
May 02, 2013 June rated it 5 of 5 stars Recommends it for: parents, librarians, & teachers
Recommended to June by: Pam Stovall
I have been using this for February story times since SPK. 4/25/11

This went over very well in Story Time. The children participated and enjoyed the sounds of the words. One girl grabbed it after Story Time and I'm not sure if she set it somewhere or snuck it home without checking it out. 4/18/12

Used again and was received extremely well in Story Time. It got the children giggling.
Antonia
I am a true Jazz head. My father was a Jazz head and his father was a jazz head. When I read this book I was so excited to see the incorporation of Jazz throughout it. The way he allows jazz melodies and movement of music to be transformed into words. This book is a great way to introduce language with music. It also introduces a new genre of music to some children.
Tim Vandenberg
Raschka takes upon the impossible task of transferring a blues legend's music into a young reader's picture book: I'd say he strongly succeeds for those who have heard Parker's music....I now hope to explore Parker's legacy a bit so as to improve my own read-aloud performance of this book.

A great work for onomatopoeia reading practice.

Recommended.
Latise
This was not one of my favorite books. I didn't enjoy the randomness at all, and I eventually forgot what I was reading. Chris Raschka is known for writing quirky stories, but this was something that I wouldn't read in class. However, it could be used for a thematic lesson on music, and students can discuss the different instruments in the book.
Vanessa
Once I learned how to read this in a be-bop rhythm I was amazed by its subtle brilliance. I love reading this book aloud to my kids -- it is really only to be read aloud with pizazz and expression -- otherwise you won't get it and it will fall flat.
I read it to my soc classes as an opener in classes on language and power.
Randie
*Note: This is not an actual biography but it is about the jazz musician Charlie Parker.

Raschka does it again! He creatively uses onomatopoeias, phrases, varied font styles, and text placement to tell a story that reads like lyrics of a jazz song. His bold illustrations add to the musical flow of the fun jazzy text.

Elizabeth
Note, this book can be found under Dewey call number 788.7 - for Saxophone! This is the most animated picture book I've ever seen! I had to find some Charlie Parker music to listen to,just to see if his music really sounded the way the text and illustrations depict. It does! Fun book!
Taylor
We love, love, love this one. We say it in the bath and on the bus, and read and read and read it. It has noise in it -- things like "Boppity, bibbity, bop, BANG! -- which is fun. There is rhythm, daddio. Even speaking the words as simply as possible sounds like a be bop tune.
Kai Palmer
Omg, wish I would have known their were children's books on jazz artist when I took my jazz class. We had to know different artists and the genre they played....the line Charlie Parker played bebop is repeated throughout the story. Will never forget that reading this book!
Christy
American Library Association Notable Book (ALAN)1993.
Chris Raschka celebrates the talents of jazz musician, Charlie Parker in this picture book filled with beautiful paintings and wonderful lyrics. The use of rhythm and sound allows readers to experience be bop.
  • Jazz on a Saturday Night
  • Flower Garden
  • Jump!
  • Lola at the Library
  • Up, Down, and Around
  • Baby Danced the Polka (ALA Notable Children's Books. Younger Readers (Awards))
  • Bears on Chairs
"I always try to treat the book itself as the artwork," Chris Raschka says. "I don't want you to stop while you're reading one of my books and say, 'Oh! What a gorgeous illustration!' I want you to stop at the end of the book and say, 'This is a good book.' "

Chris Raschka is one of those people who knew from an early age what he wanted to be when he grew up. "It was never a question in my mind,"...more
More about Chris Raschka...
A Ball for Daisy Yo! Yes? Daisy Gets Lost Everyone Can Learn to Ride a Bicycle Little Black Crow