Start by marking “The Invasion Year (Alan Lewrie, #17)” as Want to Read:
The Invasion Year (Alan Lewrie, #17)

The Invasion Year (Alan Lewrie #17)

The Seventeenth Tale in Dewey Lambdin’s Smashing Naval Adventure Series

For a fellow like Captain Alan Lewrie, Royal Navy, who despises the French worse than the Devil hates Holy Water, it’s hellish-hard to gain a reputation for saving them, not once but twice, when the French refugees from Haiti surrender to England rather than the vengeful ex-slave armies in Nov

Published January 18th 2011 by Thomas Dunne Books (first published January 7th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about The Invasion Year, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Invasion Year

D.w.
Jun 06, 2015 D.w. rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction, reviewed
The tales of Ram Cat Lewrie continue and with the recent preceding novels I have gotten used to the format of learning more of the era of the early 1800s than watching Lewrie have his career at sea explored. The mainstay of this type of fiction is to generally have few reports of what happens ashore and more at what happens at sea, but now in the career of Lewrie, who for a few pages has a ship seconded to his command, we learn of what affects his career with court intrigue and affects his life ...more
Jim
Sep 28, 2015 Jim rated it it was amazing
The year is 1804, and Alan Lewrie, Captain of the HMS Reliant, has just returned from the Caribbean, escorting a large convoy of British trading ships. At this point, only Britain is at war with France, and there is great fear in Britain that Napoleon is going to make good on his threat to cross the English Channel with an invasion army.

The story line of this novel, the 17th in Dewey Lambdin's Lewrie naval adventures, takes the hero to London to meet the King (and to meet a new amorous lady) and
John Hammer
Oct 03, 2015 John Hammer rated it really liked it
Certainly not one of Lambdin's best. Too much rehash. Too much detail about sailing terms.It's almost as if Lambdin is trying to tell us how much he knows. For those who have read him before, he has shown that he knows a lot about the times and sailing. It's OK to slip some in, but to have lists of shipboard items or past history really gets boring. Alan Lewrie is a great character mired in detail in this book. I am still looking forward to the sequel.
Chris Shockey
Dec 29, 2015 Chris Shockey rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another Triumph!

Yet another cracking good yarn in the Adventures of Alan Lewrie! Mr. Landing and his rake-hell captain carry on their amazing adventures in the tradition of Hornblower and Aubrey/Maturin. I can hardly wait for the next installment. These need to be motion pictures!
Aspen Junge
Mar 24, 2012 Aspen Junge rated it liked it
I read the entire series largely back-to-back (my local public library is well-stocked). One of the great things about this series is that we get to watch Alan Lewrie, the main character, grow up from a callow, self-indulgent teenager to a mature, thoughtful, and responsible adult.
Michael
Sep 05, 2016 Michael rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4 stars

Great exciting book that gives you everything you want from a fun read. Alan is a great character to root for
John Powell
Sep 28, 2011 John Powell rated it liked it
The lastest, but not last, in the Alan Lewrie series. Having read the earlier stories, it's like sitting down with an old friend.
Edward
Apr 23, 2012 Edward rated it liked it
I agree with many other reviews...this particular installment doesn't really have the depth and breadth I have come to expect from Lambdin over the years.
Eric
Jan 18, 2011 Eric rated it liked it
Not my favorite installment, but it moves the story forward. Looking forward to Sir Alan's next adventure.
Eric
Aug 30, 2012 Eric rated it really liked it
The author has a rich host of characters to expand upon in future books. There is a fair amount of rehash in this book and many loose ends.
David Rubin
Sep 25, 2013 David Rubin rated it it was amazing
Give us more Alan Lewrie, Mr. Lambdin. We need to know how his love live and naval career are progressing. All great stuff!
Craig
Craig rated it it was amazing
Aug 28, 2015
Mike Zirpoli
Mike Zirpoli rated it really liked it
Apr 02, 2016
Robert
Robert rated it really liked it
Oct 24, 2011
Ron Denton
Ron Denton rated it really liked it
Apr 14, 2014
Matt
Matt rated it liked it
Mar 25, 2012
Eric Poulin
Eric Poulin rated it liked it
Jan 07, 2014
Nathan Smith
Nathan Smith rated it it was amazing
Mar 30, 2012
Rick Horne
Rick Horne rated it liked it
Feb 09, 2017
Harry Moncelle
Dec 02, 2011 Harry Moncelle rated it liked it
Fun book and as an avid Lambdin reader I was not disapointed. I can't wait for the next one!
Robert Crawford
Robert Crawford rated it it was amazing
Nov 27, 2015
Allen Thomas
Allen Thomas rated it it was amazing
May 10, 2013
Steven Lang
Steven Lang rated it it was ok
Jul 04, 2014
Dave
Dave rated it really liked it
Dec 20, 2013
J. Douglas
J. Douglas rated it really liked it
Jun 24, 2015
Tom Willcox
Tom Willcox rated it really liked it
Sep 17, 2013
Scott Davis
Scott Davis rated it it was amazing
Feb 17, 2015
Pat Howell
Pat Howell rated it really liked it
Oct 31, 2014
Nancy
Nancy rated it really liked it
Jan 08, 2015
Mike
Mike rated it it was amazing
Jul 24, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Artemis (Kydd Sea Adventures, #2)
  • Ramage & the Drumbeat (The Lord Ramage Novels, #2)
  • With All Despatch (Richard Bolitho, #10)
  • The Time of Terror (Nathan Peake, #1)
  • By the Mast Divided (John Pearce, #1)
Dewey Lambdin (1945- ) is an American nautical historical novelist. He is best known for his Alan Lewrie naval adventure series, set during the Napoleonic Wars. Besides the Alan Lewrie series, he is also the author of What Lies Buried: a novel of Old Cape Fear.

A self-proclaimed "Navy Brat," Lambdin spent a good deal of his early days on both coasts of the U.S.A., and overseas duty stations, with h
More about Dewey Lambdin...

Alan Lewrie (1 - 10 of 21 books)
  • The King's Coat (Alan Lewrie, #1)
  • The French Admiral (Alan Lewrie, #2)
  • The King's Commission (Alan Lewrie, #3)
  • The King's Privateer (Alan Lewrie, #4)
  • The Gun Ketch (Alan Lewrie, #5)
  • H.M.S. Cockerel (Alan Lewrie, #6)
  • A King's Commander (Alan Lewrie, #7)
  • Jester's Fortune (Alan Lewrie, #8)
  • King's Captain (Alan Lewrie, #9)
  • Sea of Grey (Alan Lewrie, #10)