Doctor Who: Colditz (Big Finish Audio Drama, #25)

Doctor Who: Colditz (Big Finish Doctor Who Audio Dramas #25)

3.73 of 5 stars 3.73  ·  rating details  ·  128 ratings  ·  15 reviews
NOT A BOOK. NOT AN AUDIO BOOK. This is an original full-cast audio play produced by Big Finish Productions.

October 1944: As World War II draws towards its conclusion, a Nazi defeat begins to seem almost inevitable. But that might be about to change...

Two intruders are captured in the grounds of Colditz Castle, the most secure POW camp in Germany. At first, the guards think...more
Audio Play
Published October 2001

Jayaprakash Satyamurthy
Oh, lord.

The story - a tense tale of escape, espionage, time twists and alternate histories set around the Colditz prison camp during World War 2 - is actually excellent, the best and smartest in a while. But Sylvester McCoy and Sophie Aldred overact so badly that all I wanted was to stuff hankies down their throats so that the competent supporting cast (Including David Tennant!) could take over.
Drew
The Tardis brings Ace and the Doctor to the vicinity of Colditz Castle, 1944, naturally resulting in both of Our Heroes™ being captured by Nazis. While Ace plots escape with some fellow prisoners (she's played the board game, so she figures it should be easy), the Doctor encounters Klein, a woman who seems to know quite a bit about him and his time machine.

I listened to this story earlier this year, and wasn't entirely impressed, but I picked up the later episodes with Klein when they were on s...more
Wendy
I was expecting this audio to be a bit of a mixed bag, honestly. And I suppose it is, but it's a very enjoyable one.

The story begins with the Doctor and Ace arriving in Colditz Castle, a German prison camp, in 1944. They're quickly captured, and then separated. Ace occupies herself with trying to survive and escape, while the Doctor has to deal with a Nazi scientist named Klein who's very interested in the TARDIS. And the Doctor quickly realizes that he might have changed history so that the Na...more
Angela
The Doctor and Ace land in Colditz, and all of Ace's belongings are taken. The Doctor and Ace are determined to escape. Only problem, Klein, arrives in another TARDIS. This is a really good story, with lots of twists. The paradox idea of multiple time lines is interesting and well played out. Ace also has a lot to do, trying to escape and coping with a Nazi officer who is totally sadistic. Oh, and he's played by David Tennant (before his role as the Doctor). A very good listen.
Christopher Buchanan
Starts out pretty unremarkably but picks up a lot of steam at the end and winds up being a really interesting story. Klein makes for a very intriguing character. One problem I had though, nazi's in this were awfully friendly. Damn near cuddly, relatively speaking. An English woman walks into a Nazi prison camp with a backpack full of explosives, smacks an officer and mouths off to everyone and gets little more than a stern lecture and a couple of threats? I find that difficult to believe. Not to...more
LaRoche
One of my favourite Big Finish audios and not just because David Tennant is an evil Nazi
Mel
This was quite a good historical 8th doctor and Ace. There was time travel but no aliens. The paradox and it's effects were quite complicated but the story of them being stuck in a Nazi prison and having to cope was quite good. I liked Ace in this, her bravado did seem a tad over the top in places though. There was never any real threat or sense of danger in this that there probably should have been. Nothing like the realism or drama of Tenko. It did also have David Tennant with a (not terribly...more
Toni
For not too too much going on in this story, it was pretty enjoyable, and I enjoyed the use of alternate futures and other fun time-tricks to make the plot a little more mysterious to start. Interesting evolution with Ace too - (nerd mode) I've read there's some discontinuity with her personality and future stories and depending on where this story fits in with the TV series, so I need to listen to future plays to gauge for myself. Always enjoy the WWII stories with 7th/Ace though - good stuff.
Ausir
An excellent audio story. The Doctor and Ace have to escape from Colditz Castle during World War 2 and to prevent an alternate timeline where the Nazis won the war from happening. Also, Feldwebel Kurtz is played by an obscure actor called David Tennant.
Reg Franklin
The 7th Doctor and Ace struggle to escape the most secure POW camp ever established by the Nazis, and in particular a cruel officer played by pre-Doctor Who David Tennant! An amazing adventure, and Tennant will give you chills in his role.
Nicholas Whyte
Could have been a bit disastrous, since the Seventh Doctor and Ace have a bit of a habit of running into Nazis, but actually turns into a rather good story of time paradoxes. Nasty German guard Kurtz is played by one David Tennant.
Steven
The Seventh Doctor and Ace are caught intruding in Colditz Castle in October 1944. Will the secrets of Time Travel fall into the hands of the Third Reich?
Debra Cook
Liked this story better than I did the first time. Definitely full of adventure and listening to David Tennant as a Nazi is hysterical. Recommend.
Peter
Nazis, paradoxes, Tennant and the Seventh Doctor - sheer poetry.
Bronwen
Glenn
Glenn added it
Jun 07, 2014
Dan
Dan marked it as to-read
May 14, 2014
Zan
Zan added it
Apr 23, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Steve Lyons is a science fiction writer, best known for writing television tie-ins of Doctor Who for BBC Books, and previously, Virgin. The earliest of these was Conundrum in 1994, and his most recent was 2005's The Stealers of Dreams. He has also written material for Star Trek tie-ins, as well as original work.
More about Steve Lyons...
Doctor Who: The Stealers of Dreams Imperial Guard Omnibus: Volume 1 (Warhammer 40,000 Omnibus) Warhammer 40K: Death World Doctor Who: Blood of the Daleks, Part 1 (8th Doctor Series Vol. 1, Audio CD) Dead Men Walking