Start by marking “Doctor Who: Colditz” as Want to Read:
Doctor Who: Colditz

Doctor Who: Colditz (Big Finish Doctor Who Audio Dramas #25)

October 1944: As World War II draws towards its conclusion, a Nazi defeat begins to seem almost inevitable. But that might be about to change...

Two intruders are captured in the grounds of Colditz Castle, the most secure POW camp in Germany. At first, the guards think they're dealing with British spies. But the strangers arrived in an advanced traveling machine, the like o
Audio Play
Published October 2001

To ask other readers questions about Doctor Who, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Doctor Who

Jayaprakash Satyamurthy
Oh, lord.

The story - a tense tale of escape, espionage, time twists and alternate histories set around the Colditz prison camp during World War 2 - is actually excellent, the best and smartest in a while. But Sylvester McCoy and Sophie Aldred overact so badly that all I wanted was to stuff hankies down their throats so that the competent supporting cast (Including David Tennant!) could take over.
Linnea Gelland
May 17, 2017 Linnea Gelland rated it really liked it
An exciting Second World War story with Ace in top form.
Drew
Jul 15, 2013 Drew rated it really liked it
Shelves: audio-drama
The Tardis brings Ace and the Doctor to the vicinity of Colditz Castle, 1944, naturally resulting in both of Our Heroes™ being captured by Nazis. While Ace plots escape with some fellow prisoners (she's played the board game, so she figures it should be easy), the Doctor encounters Klein, a woman who seems to know quite a bit about him and his time machine.

I listened to this story earlier this year, and wasn't entirely impressed, but I picked up the later episodes with Klein when they were on s
Wendy
Sep 17, 2009 Wendy rated it really liked it
I was expecting this audio to be a bit of a mixed bag, honestly. And I suppose it is, but it's a very enjoyable one.

The story begins with the Doctor and Ace arriving in Colditz Castle, a German prison camp, in 1944. They're quickly captured, and then separated. Ace occupies herself with trying to survive and escape, while the Doctor has to deal with a Nazi scientist named Klein who's very interested in the TARDIS. And the Doctor quickly realizes that he might have changed history so that the Na
Christopher Buchanan
Starts out pretty unremarkably but picks up a lot of steam at the end and winds up being a really interesting story. Klein makes for a very intriguing character. One problem I had though, nazi's in this were awfully friendly. Damn near cuddly, relatively speaking. An English woman walks into a Nazi prison camp with a backpack full of explosives, smacks an officer and mouths off to everyone and gets little more than a stern lecture and a couple of threats? I find that difficult to believe. Not to ...more
DeAnne
Jan 31, 2016 DeAnne rated it really liked it
This Seventh Doctor Big Finish Audio adventure has now become famous because one of the supporting roles was voiced by David Tennant. The setting is a WWII Nazi prison camp, and DT plays one of the Germans. It helps that he doesn't sound very much like Ten as he's doing a German accent (although sometimes it veers into Scottish accent!). But I could definitely tell it was him, which just added to the enjoyment of the story. The plot twist at the end was nice, and Ace's development here makes me ...more
Jadetyger Sevea
Aug 01, 2009 Jadetyger Sevea rated it liked it
Toni
Sep 10, 2012 Toni rated it really liked it
Shelves: owned, audiobook
For not too too much going on in this story, it was pretty enjoyable, and I enjoyed the use of alternate futures and other fun time-tricks to make the plot a little more mysterious to start. Interesting evolution with Ace too - (nerd mode) I've read there's some discontinuity with her personality and future stories and depending on where this story fits in with the TV series, so I need to listen to future plays to gauge for myself. Always enjoy the WWII stories with 7th/Ace though - good stuff.
Mel
Mar 11, 2013 Mel rated it liked it
Shelves: audio-book
This was quite a good historical 8th doctor and Ace. There was time travel but no aliens. The paradox and it's effects were quite complicated but the story of them being stuck in a Nazi prison and having to cope was quite good. I liked Ace in this, her bravado did seem a tad over the top in places though. There was never any real threat or sense of danger in this that there probably should have been. Nothing like the realism or drama of Tenko. It did also have David Tennant with a (not terribly ...more
Angela
Jun 20, 2014 Angela rated it really liked it
The Doctor and Ace land in Colditz, and all of Ace's belongings are taken. The Doctor and Ace are determined to escape. Only problem, Klein, arrives in another TARDIS. This is a really good story, with lots of twists. The paradox idea of multiple time lines is interesting and well played out. Ace also has a lot to do, trying to escape and coping with a Nazi officer who is totally sadistic. Oh, and he's played by David Tennant (before his role as the Doctor). A very good listen.
Saturnberry
Nov 19, 2014 Saturnberry rated it it was ok
Shelves: i-own-it, own
A little too dark for me. Maybe if the part about Ace being threatened wasn't there, I'd have liked it more. Lot of screaming, which is unpleasant to me to listen to.. I think Sylvester McCoy does 2 people. I give 2 stars because it dawned on me that the Really Creepy Guy is played by David Tennant.
Ausir
Mar 06, 2013 Ausir rated it really liked it
An excellent audio story. The Doctor and Ace have to escape from Colditz Castle during World War 2 and to prevent an alternate timeline where the Nazis won the war from happening. Also, Feldwebel Kurtz is played by an obscure actor called David Tennant.
Reg Franklin
Jun 18, 2013 Reg Franklin rated it it was amazing
The 7th Doctor and Ace struggle to escape the most secure POW camp ever established by the Nazis, and in particular a cruel officer played by pre-Doctor Who David Tennant! An amazing adventure, and Tennant will give you chills in his role.
Apr 07, 2014 Sarah rated it liked it
Shelves: tossed, kept, audio
Seventh Doctor and Ace turn up in Nazi Germany in the 40's. After Ace makes a few escapes, The Doctor battles wits with Klein, a Nazi scientist whose programming runs pretty deep.

Surprise guest voice David Tennant!! As a baddie!!!
Nicholas Whyte
Could have been a bit disastrous, since the Seventh Doctor and Ace have a bit of a habit of running into Nazis, but actually turns into a rather good story of time paradoxes. Nasty German guard Kurtz is played by one David Tennant.
Yosef Shapiro
The first story to feature the mysterious Klein. This story starts out with a lot of promise. But, it lets you down with the way it ends.
Catherine Johnson
Nov 06, 2016 Catherine Johnson rated it liked it
David Tenant voices a Natzi.
Peter O'Brien
Aug 09, 2013 Peter O'Brien rated it really liked it
Nazis, paradoxes, Tennant and the Seventh Doctor - sheer poetry.
Debra Cook
Mar 12, 2013 Debra Cook rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites, audiobooks
Liked this story better than I did the first time. Definitely full of adventure and listening to David Tennant as a Nazi is hysterical. Recommend.
Bronwen
Mar 01, 2012 Bronwen rated it it was ok
Shelves: fiction, sci-fi, tv, audio
Hmm. A bit convoluted.
Steven
Dec 01, 2012 Steven rated it liked it
Shelves: doctor-who, plays, british
The Seventh Doctor and Ace are caught intruding in Colditz Castle in October 1944. Will the secrets of Time Travel fall into the hands of the Third Reich?
Dave Bowmore
May 12, 2014 Dave Bowmore rated it really liked it
One of my favourite Big Finish audios and not just because David Tennant is an evil Nazi
Linh
Jun 18, 2013 Linh added it
adadadada
Erichyde
Aug 31, 2014 Erichyde rated it liked it
Started off strong and lost steam as it went along.
Ritchie
Ritchie rated it really liked it
Jul 21, 2014
Tobias Cooper
Tobias Cooper rated it it was amazing
Oct 16, 2015
Riley
Riley rated it it was amazing
Jan 30, 2015
Piers
Piers rated it it was amazing
Apr 06, 2012
Kevin Pillay
Kevin Pillay rated it it was amazing
Mar 27, 2017
  • Doctor Who: The Chimes of Midnight
  • Doctor Who: The One Doctor (Big Finish Audio Drama, #27)
  • Doctor Who and the Pirates
  • Doctor Who: ...ish
  • Doctor Who: Master
  • Doctor Who: The Natural History of Fear
  • Doctor Who: Caerdroia
Steve Lyons is a science fiction writer, best known for writing television tie-ins of Doctor Who for BBC Books, and previously, Virgin. The earliest of these was Conundrum in 1994, and his most recent was 2005's The Stealers of Dreams. He has also written material for Star Trek tie-ins, as well as original work.
More about Steve Lyons...

Big Finish Doctor Who Audio Dramas (1 - 10 of 223 books)
  • Doctor Who: The Sirens of Time