Start by marking “Temptation Ridge (Virgin River, #6)” as Want to Read:
Temptation Ridge (Virgin River, #6)

Temptation Ridge (Virgin River #6)

4.24  ·  Rating Details  ·  9,457 Ratings  ·  413 Reviews

At twenty-five, after five years as her mother's caregiver, it's time for Shelby to experience freedom and adventure. Time for travel, college and romance. But when she visits Virgin River, she runs into Luke Riordan, decidedly not whom she has in mind.

A handsome Blackhawk pilot, Luke exited the army after twenty years, four wars and having been shot out of the sky three

Published August 1st 2010 by Harlequin (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Temptation Ridge, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Temptation Ridge

Auntee
Dec 04, 2013 Auntee rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of contemporary romance
Wow, wow, wow! Another big winner by the talented Robyn Carr--this may be my favorite of the series since book #1, "Virgin River". There was just something about these characters that grabbed me emotionally. I loved the strength and courage of the heroine, Shelby McIntyre, who was determined to live her life to the fullest after spending years as her dying mother's devoted caretaker. And I loved the hero, former Army Blackhawk pilot Luke Riordan, who may not have been what Shelby thought she was ...more
Shawna
5+ stars – Contemporary Romance

I’ve been reading this series straight through from the very beginning over the past week and have found myself totally and happily immersed in the charming, small town community life of Virgin River.

The spotlight couple of Temptation Ridge is Shelby and Luke, and I really loved both characters and enjoyed their realistic romantic progression, but I wanted more of them and the ending left me yearning a bit. For some reason, this time around, the parallel storylines
♡Karlyn P♡
Fantastic addition to the series. I agree with other reviews who rate this right up their with book 1 Virgin River. (I also agree that it was difficult not to read in one sitting!! I was up all night!) The main romance in this book is with Luke and Shelby, and it was a beautiful romance. Shelby is the kind of heroine I like to read: smart, fun, level-headed. We also get to see some continuing characters as well as meet a few new ones. There are a lot of emotions in this book from happy, funny, t ...more
Quinn
Please bear with me as I stumble through this review. I’ve been sitting staring blankly at the screen for a full minute, because I’m still not sure what I think of this book. It has some absolutely wonderful moments, and some powerfully tragic ones, too. But it seems like it’s taken me six books to finally start getting irritated with things that have bothered other readers right from the start.

For a start: Mel. I’ve never been particularly bothered by her character or the author’s penchant for
Kristen
4 Stars

These books are the perfect "getting into the holiday spirit" type of read. They have a quaint, almost Hallmark-movie type feel to them that leaves me feeling uplifted. That said, I don't think I'd have the patience to read them, as they're not as couple centered as I prefer in my romances. However, I've loved listening to them as I go about my day.
jenjn79
Feb 20, 2009 jenjn79 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to jenjn79 by: continutation of a series
Yet another excellent edition to the Virgin River series. I think I liked Second Chance Pass just a smidge more...so I'd probably rate this one 4.75 stars. But it was still a great book to read. I had a few minor quibbles, but overall, I enjoyed it a lot.

Temptation Ridge, the sixth book in the Virgin River series, takes up back to Virgin River where you catch up with existing characters, meet some new ones, see some previous ones return, and say a last goodbye to another. Shelby McIntyre, who wa
❀angela
Jan 01, 2013 ❀angela rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nook, romance
I know there are a lot of fans who are thrilled with the updates about previous main characters, but I haven't been reading these in order. I was really bored reading about characters I didn't care about, and there were a lot of them. Not just the previous main characters, but newly introduced characters that were thrown in because the author wanted to have three romance plot lines. I'm usually all for secondary characters but one too many things were going on in this book.
Beanbag Love
Mar 10, 2010 Beanbag Love rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a good installment. I really liked Shelby and Luke. Shelby was a great romantic heroine. Different from a lot of the typical ones in that she wasn't experienced at all, but she wasn't a fluffy doormat, either. You can definitely see why Luke falls for her.

And why she falls for Luke. *throws ice water in face*

Anyway, there are some sad things that cause tears and some happy things that cause tears and a lot of smiles along the way. In short, a typical Virgin River book.

My one huge compl
Sue
Aug 21, 2015 Sue rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: contemporary, audible
Definitely enjoyed this one, it wasn't a single couple story but several. New characters were added to Virgin River, Luke Riordan a former black hawk pilot and Shelby, General Booth's niece.

The Riordan's are going to be exactly what the series needed, 5 soldier brothers that will be rolling off their service and likely bound for Virgin River. Muriel and Walt (General Booth) have sparked a lovely romance, she formerly Hollywood royalty and he all Army they make for a fun couple. Then there is th
Kathrynn
Loved it! I've enjoyed all the Virgin River books, but this is the best one since the first hit the shelves, imo. Be sure to read the series in order because the characters continue to develop with each book.

Neat reading about the earlier characters and getting updated on them: Mel and Jack, Brie and Mike, Preacher (John) and Paige, Walt and Muriel, and many more. This book did not have the Shady Brady (Dan) character in it, though.

The two main characters in this one were Luke Riordan and Shel
SheLove2Read
Temptation Ridge is the 5th book in Robyn Carr's series about the people in Virgin River, and the 2nd in the 2nd "trilogy". This is mainly Shelby & Luke's story, although others have side stories in the book.

Pro's:
Shelby & Luke - good, believable romance
Luke - tough and masculine hero, alpha male
Mel & Jack - love their continuing storyline
Art - I really enjoyed reading a storyline about a disabled person that wasn't condescending

Con's:
Vanni - cannot stand her character. Too much of a
Julianna
Jul 12, 2012 Julianna rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of Heartwarming, Small-Town Romances
Reviewed for THC Reviews
Robyn Carr has really been on a roll lately with the Virgin River series. When I first started the series, I enjoyed the stories, but wasn't quite as impressed as other readers seemed to be. However, with each book I've read, they seem to keep getting better and better. In Temptation Ridge, Ms. Carr builds on the character of Shelby MacIntyre who was first introduced in Whispering Rock and pairs her with a brand new hero who has just come to town, tough guy and former Bla
Cyndi
Mar 07, 2015 Cyndi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This series is very good. I continue to come back, for the characters, the story and the fine portraits of love, grace and community.
Arlena
Title: Temptation Ridge (A Virgin River Novel)
Author: Robyn Carr
Publisher: Mira Books
Series: Virgin River #6
Reviewed By: Arlena Dean
Rating: 5
Reviewed:

"Temptation Ridge" by Robyn Carr was a beautiful contemporary novel of the Virgin River #6 that featured three romances. The main storyline was of Shelby McIntyre and Luke Riordan...then it moves on to Walt Booth and Muriel and lastly Abby MacCall and Cameron Michaels. Be prepared for a read of not only romances that are going on in this small Cali
Ana T.
Mar 24, 2014 Ana T. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Although I am a series lover it is not always that I feel like (or get the chance to) reading them all in a row as it is happening with this series. I have been pondering about what attracts me to it. I think it is about the fact that I seem to be watching the community being built. Not just grow... I actually feel that with each book that something is still missing and I think that is what keeps me from giving higher grades.
I keep reading because I know that when it feels completed it will make
valee
Dec 11, 2013 valee rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cont-romance
This author is going to kill me. I read a 5 stars rating book then a 2 stars. Then a 5 again, then a 2 again. I just don't know what to make about this series. Loved books 1,2,4 and this one. Almost hated books 3 and 5.This was an amazing story. So sweet. I'm not writing a review because there are so many already. Just wanted to say I adored this one. They main characters made an amazing couple.

I must admit I do not have much hopes for the next book. I already hate Cam's heroine. I loved, loved
Regina
3.5 stars. An enjoyable installment in the Virgin River series. Temptation Ridge brings some significant changes to Virgin River that set up the little town for more happenings in later books.

I really enjoy all the characters in this series. Temptation Ridge brings some good scenes with Mel and Jack. Mel is back to work and struggling with issues as a new mom of two very young children. Brie has her first child. The main storyline was sweet, passionate and sometimes heartbreaking. There are thr
Karen ♐
I love this series. Luke is a retired Black Hawk pilot who comes to Virgin River as he bought a house and some cabins to renovate and sell. He meets Shelby, who spent the last 5 years taking care of her sick mother. Her mother has died and Shelby is ready to get on with her life. He's trying to stay away from her as she is 25 and he is 38 but, of course, love prevails. There are some tears and of course, some laughter in this book. There are continuations of the stories for characters in previou ...more
Brenda (b)
The Virgin River saga continues and I love it. I feel like I'm repeating myself with my thoughts on these books but I've liked them all for the same reasons. I love the way these books are written -- the characters feel so real to me and the close-knit community draws me in. I've been trying to space out my reading of the series so I can savor these books.
Natalie
Feb 25, 2016 Natalie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance, drama, chick-lit
Another amazing, smooth, heart-felt read by Carr in the Virgin River series. I love that we can keep up with all the other characters and their romances: their relationships, the weddings and babies. Is this series unrealistic? For sure it is. Does it make you feel good? Hell yes. I am happy to suspend my disbelief and dive into a book full of love, brotherhood, good people and good feelings once in awhile. While Luke is frustrating, Shelby is completely stubborn, strong and spunky. There's an a ...more
Judy  at Musings and Ramblings
I am a blurb reader. I admit it freely. I am picky about the books that I read and especially for well established series, I will read blurbs from several of the books to see where it headed. If I am going to invest some significant time into a series, I want to be really sure that it will be worth the energy for the long haul. All this is to lead up to the fact that I am dreading the next book, Paradise Valley. So I was a major procrastinator for this book. Why? Because the next book deals with ...more
Jackie Lane
Nov 20, 2012 Jackie Lane rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
After Shelby's mother dies, she packs up and plans to move on with her life, moving in with her uncle, until she can sort her life out.

Shelby meets Luke Riordan, a handsome former Blackhawk Pilot, who is older than her 25 years and has just retired from 20 years of service.

Luke has purchased some cabins with his brother and he is in the process of fixing them up. Luke was not looking for a commitment. He was set in his ways and very happy with his life, but sometimes two wrongs can make a right.
orannia
Edited review

Three and a half stars. Temptation Ridge is not a badly written book, but I have some serious issues with the direction the series is taking. I'm sure you all know right from the get go that this is less of a review and more of a rant. Those of you who follow my status updates on GoodReads will have a fair idea what I thought of this book.... but since I have a hard time keeping quiet... *grin*

So, where to start? Certain things still work well with this series - I love the small tow
Charlene
Jul 26, 2013 Charlene rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Warning: as you near the end of this book, DO NOT read in public! I found myself a simpering mess, tears running down my cheeks at the final pages of this one.

I loved Shelby, and how strong and determined she was. At the tender age of 25, she's come through so much and only wanted to find what everyone else seemed to have - someone to love. She finds Luke, but both of them fool themselves into thinking the relationship was short-term and nothing serious. Of course, this is Virgin River...and we
Edna
Nov 04, 2009 Edna rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Jenny E
This was BY FAR my favorite book of the series so far. I really liked the characters, and I could really relate to the heroine and the issues in their relationship. I got choked up a couple times during this story because I could definitely relate to some of the relationship issues and feelings.

This possibly could have been a five-star book, but the repetition gets annoying - re-hashing everyone's story!

Then, the Cameron plotline... I don't even know about that, but this is why I can't quit th
Jenny Trout
Apr 01, 2010 Jenny Trout rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I thought this was a really enjoyable book with a believable romance. However, the hero's constant references to how young the heroine looked when he thought about how sexy she was... yurgh. I was totally behind their age difference being on his mind when he thought about how it would affect them relationship wise, but those thoughts were creepy in the context of how hot he thought she was. It also left me wondering if he would be as hot for her when she didn't still look like "jail bait" and go ...more
Amy
Apr 21, 2012 Amy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
PB/Romance: Well, Shelby puts the V in Virgin River. I had the same reaction as Luke, "Really, you're how old?" Personally, I wouldn't give their romance two years. Why? Well, for one thing, they only talk about how much they want each other, but in the next breath, say how much they don't have in common. Yes, I see Shelby getting really bored being with Luke. She hasn't lived yet and he is ready to settle down.
The better story is Cam and Abby. I bored with Muriel and the Colonel.
It was okay.
Booklover, Indianapolis
(Apr) What a great book! Shelby was a terrific heroine - not tstl, not annoying, a joy to spend time with. Luke had a few personal issues that I worried about him dealing with, but in the end he got his act together pretty well. Glad to see the rest of the gang doing so well - Art is a great addition to the VR family, and glad to see everyone else moving on with their lives in such positive ways. Keeping my fingers crossed for Abby and Cam - and hoping to see more of Luke's brothers in future bo ...more
Western and Medie...: Temptation Ridge [Virgin River #6] by Robyn Carr (Start Date: April, 2014) 7 8 Apr 02, 2014 04:09AM
Absolute Favorite Book? 9 23 Feb 24, 2014 03:27PM
  • That Holiday Feeling (Virgin River, #7.5; Those Manning Men, #5)
  • Sugar Creek (Destiny, #2)
  • Under Her Skin (Lone Star Sisters, #1)
  • Baby Love
  • Beach Lane (Chesapeake Shores #7)
  • Angel's Rest (Eternity Springs, #1)
  • The Winter Lodge (Lakeshore Chronicles #2)
  • At Last (Lucky Harbor, #5)
  • A Light at Winter's End (Cedar Springs #3)
A RITA award-winning author of 25 novels, Robyn Carr has found a whole new following with her stories about the independent women and former marines of Virgin River."

RT's Career Achievement Best Author Award winner (2010) for Contemporary Romance.
More about Robyn Carr...

Virgin River (1 - 10 of 18 books)
  • Virgin River (Virgin River, #1)
  • Shelter Mountain (Virgin River, #2)
  • Whispering Rock (Virgin River, #3)
  • A Virgin River Christmas (Virgin River, #4)
  • Second Chance Pass (Virgin River, #5)
  • Paradise Valley (Virgin River, #7)
  • Forbidden Falls (Virgin River, #8)
  • Angel's Peak (Virgin River, #9)
  • Moonlight Road (Virgin River, #10)
  • Promise Canyon (Virgin River, #11)

“He stared at her and his smile slowly faded. He put his hands on his hips. He took a deep breath and felt tears gather in his eyes. “You’re all I need to be happy, Shelby,” he said. “You’re everything I need…”
He actually surprised her. Her arms dropped from over her chest and she gaped at him for a second.
“You’re everything,” he said. “It scares me to death, but I want it all with you. I want you for life. I want what you want, and I want it right now. Everything, Shelby. I want you to be the lead in my shoes that keeps me on the ground. The mother of my children. My best friend, my wife, my mistress. It’s a tall order.” He took a breath.
“If you won’t quit, I won’t.”
15 likes
“You've been treading water," she said. "You're marking the years, not living them.” 2 likes