Start by marking “City of Jade: A Novel of Mithgar” as Want to Read:
City of Jade: A Novel of Mithgar
Preview

City of Jade: A Novel of Mithgar (Mithgar Series (Chronological) #16)

3.57 of 5 stars 3.57  ·  rating details  ·  246 ratings  ·  22 reviews
The myth of a lost city carved of precious jade has proven irresistible to many in Mithgar. Now Aravan, captain of the Elven ship Eroean, has undertaken a quest to find it. With his true love Aylis, the Magekind Seeress, beside him and a crew of men and dwarves, he sets sail to follow the lure of legend.
Published October 7th 2008 by Roc (first published 2008)

To ask other readers questions about City of Jade, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about City of Jade

Samantha
Hard one for me to rate. I have become a fan of the Mithgar series (and have read all of the books in it), but this book was just frustrating. I gave this two stars instead of one because there are kernels of good stories in the book, and glimpses of the sparkle that I've found in many of the other books in the Mithgar series. But this one was just frustrating. An odd combination of flashbacks (which present awkwardly synopses of stories published in other books) and leaps forward makes the book ...more
Azurehart
When I found out that McKiernan was writing another Mithgar book I was thrilled, and couldn't wait to get my hands on a copy.

What a disappointment!

The "plot" was either dragging slowly, or jumping around in such a way that I almost felt the need for a Cliffs Notes version just so I could figure out what was going on.

I have loved most of the Mithgar books, and have reread them often, but I really don't think I'll ever read City of Jade again. Definitely not the book to start with for anyone int
Walt
This was clearly a filler book. The author was up front that his Mithgar series books left out voyages on the elven ship, so he decided to address that issue. The book includes a number of adventures that could have been stand-alone. In this book, they basically introduce key characters in the Mithgar series to readers who may be new to the series. Of course there are some new people; but basically this book does little for the larger series or as a stand-alone novel.

The book begins with a majo
Alsha
I wanted to like this book, out of love and loyalty and nostalgia, but in all honesty, it was dreadfully put together. The core adventure didn't even start until the final third of the book. The rest was chapter salad, with the world's most clunky segues and huge swathes of unnecessary rehashes. Any opportunity to reference another book, it took, which came across as both lazy and unappealingly self-congratulatory.

Not to mention the ridiculous female stereotypes of swooning, screaming, flights
Jon
I thoroughly enjoyed all the bits about Pipper and Binkton. The rest of the stories fell flat for me. A mediocre Mithgar tale at best.
Nancy
Throughout the Mithgar tales, there runs a story of the City of Jade. A lost city totally carved from jade, which makes it an absolute for the adventurers of Mithgar to discover. A group of mages, elves and dwarves set out in search; only to find treachery, disappointment and danger before them.

Aravan commands his ship to the land of Vadaeia where he again finds Aylis his long-lost love. He had thought her dead for many years so this is a joyous reunion. They together decide to go in search of t
Amy Emler
Oct 16, 2008 Amy Emler rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fantasy lovers,
Recommended to Amy by: no one - just love this author!
Old friends, new friends, new adventures

My first venture into the world of Mithgar was on the Eroean, The Voyage of the Fox Rider, and I was very glad to get back aship.

The Eroean encounters a mysterious jade statuette, with crytpic inscription, that send them on a quest to find the legendary (and lost) City of Jade. Meanwhile Bink and Pip, two Warrows, are on a mission to retrieve a trunk of belongings stolen from them. Their paths cross with the Eroean's crew and the Warrows prove once again
Nick Giannaras
Dennis is one of my favorite authors, but this story, although uniquely done by tying various elements together to culminate into the expected climax, was a bit disappointing in the huge confrontation. I was expecting a more grandiose result, and not what actually transpired.
Paul
I have enjoyed almost all of the books from Dennis McKiernan's Mithgar series, however this book was almost half over before it even started. He spends pages describing past events that have little to no bearing on the actual plot. The plot itself meanders around touching on various subjects without any real established direction. I never felt any tension or worry for the characters, every time the villain of the story attempts to thwart the heroes he is soundly defeated with seeming ease. The t ...more
Jeff Crosby
Mithgar is highly derivative of Middle-Earth--the early stories especially so. As McKiernan has continued to expand his creation, the legends and tales have become more complex. While I enjoy these stories, McKiernan has two weaknesses for me personally. First, he works so hard at vocabulary and detail that somtimes the stories have an archane feel. City of Jade suffers from this. The other problem with City of Jade is the huge side-trip that is the journey of the Warrows until they join the shi ...more
Bryan
I really wanted to love this book. I'm a huge fan of Dennis McKiernan, I would credit him for my love of the fantasy genre, but this just wasn't one of his best books. In my opinion the book just falls flat, it takes about 3/4ths of the book to pull the entire crew together before we finally get around to the City of Jade and once there nothing really happens. As much as it pains me to say, I think most fans of McKiernan's work would be better served by just rereading Voyage of the Fox Rider
John
So it's done and it was nice and fun to read. Just a bit more Mithgar fun with really nothing new. I'll probably remember it going forward but perhaps not as much as the others. I put in line with the Hel's Crucible and Red Slippers.
His writing isn't the best and now I fully realize it, but I also now know I can just jump over little bits and really not miss anything. But most of all it really reminds of the earlier stuff and I really must go back and reread those, starting with Iron Tower.
Gerry
Fine, not great but another excuse for Aravan.
Jeremy
Good book, but not one to read by itself -- it will just leave the read grasping at straws.
to many flash-backs to books that he has writen before, for a book that sits at now thousands of years into to his world.
It would have made a better read as a short story with some of the flash-backs removed.
A goodread for all true Mithgar fans, but not a good buy.
To much of the book is... filler...
thom

While I was thrilled to get to return to Mithgar, I don't think this will be one of my favorite installments. I find myself comparing it to Ravel's "Bolero". Long build up to a brief climax. Not a bad read by any means, but not one of the Mithgar books that I'll be likely to return to frequently.
Jim Short
The start of the novel is a little 'jerky' moving forward in fits and the language used (archaic English) sometimes makes it difficult to process. Ultimately, this reads more like a sequence of vignettes rather than a flowing novel but the story becomes clear and easier as you get more into it.
Trevor
I love Mihgar. I want that to be known. However, this particular take seemed ... a little ... forced, perhaps. Not bad, just not great. Anticlimactic. I enjoyed all the characters and the basic premise, but ... anticlimactic.
Thain Segler
I took awhile reading this but it was pretty good. I especially liked the background story for the warrows. The climax was good but I think I was expecting something more.
R
Not the best of the series. Did not get interested in the story line until almost a 1/3 of the way through the book.
Eric Smith
Absolutely awful. Like a bad parody of Tolkien. It's this sort of novel which gives fantasy a bad name.
Dresha
My name is used in this one too! Except it's High Queen Dresha now :)
Carlos Eduardo
Carlos Eduardo marked it as to-read
Apr 17, 2015
Redraven
Redraven marked it as to-read
Apr 14, 2015
Jessica Maendel
Jessica Maendel marked it as to-read
Apr 11, 2015
Rin
Rin marked it as to-read
Apr 11, 2015
Steven Allen
Steven Allen marked it as to-read
Apr 09, 2015
  • Deep Water (Castings, #2)
  • Hunter's Death (The Sacred Hunt, #2)
  • A Kingdom Lost
  • Mother Aegypt and Other Stories
  • Elementally Priceless (Rylee Adamson, #0.5)
  • Cage the Darlings
  • The Forge in the Forest (Winter of the World, #2)
  • Demon Hunting in a Dive Bar (Demon Hunting, #3)
  • The Wizard Lord (Annals of the Chosen, #1)
  • Hell's Kitty (Welcome to Hell, #4)
McKiernan was born in Moberly, Missouri, where he lived until he served the U.S. Air Force for four years, stationed within US territory during the Korean War. After military service, he attended the University of Missouri and received a B.S. in electrical engineering in 1958 and an M.S. in the same field from Duke University in 1964. He worked as an engineer at AT&T, initially at Western Elec ...more
More about Dennis L. McKiernan...

Mithgar Series (Chronological) (1 - 10 of 17 books)
  • The Dragonstone (Mithgar, #1)
  • Voyage of the Fox Rider: A Novel of Mithgar (Mithgar, #2)
  • Into the Forge (Mithgar, #3; Hèl's Crucible, #1)
  • Into the Fire  (Mithgar, #4; Hèl's Crucible, #2)
  • Dragondoom (Mithgar, #5)
  • Stolen Crown (Mithgar, #6)
  • Tales from the One-Eyed Crow: The Vulgmaster (Mithgar, #7)
  • Tales of Mithgar (Mithgar, #8)
  • The Dark Tide (Mithgar, #9; Iron Tower Trilogy, #1)
  • Shadows of Doom (Mithgar, #10; Iron Tower Trilogy, #2)
The Darkest Day (Mithgar, #11; Iron Tower Trilogy, #3) Once Upon a Winter's Night (Faery Series, #1) The Dark Tide (Mithgar, #9; Iron Tower Trilogy, #1) Shadows of Doom (Mithgar, #10; Iron Tower Trilogy, #2) The Eye of the Hunter (Mithgar, #14)