Start by marking “The Nine Modern Day Muses: 10 Guides to Creative Inspiration for Artists, Poets, Lovers, and Other Mortals Wanting to Live a Dazzling Existence” as Want to Read:

4.19 of 5 stars 4.19  ·  rating details  ·  94 ratings  ·  9 reviews
Artist's Way-inspired teacher and acclaimed workshop leader Jill Badonsky shows how to unblock creativity and awaken the muses of imagination and inspiration in this unique guide to self-expression.

Meet Spills, Bea Silly, Albert, and Marge. No, they aren't TV's latest cartoon characters. They're just a few of the new and improved Muses.

Combining the whimsical and spiri
Published March 28th 2003 by Gotham (first published 2003)

To ask other readers questions about The Nine Modern Day Muses, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Nine Modern Day Muses

Annemieke Windt
The title and cover of Nine Modern Day Muses (and a Bodyguard) already suggest an element of fun and playfulness. Jill Badonsky tells us about her modern interpretation of the muses to help us be more creative. A lot of her ideas are borrowed from creative writers such as Julia Cameron. But Badonsky's muses each tackle a part of the creative process. Playing, breaking rules if we want to try out new ideas and the value of being kind to ourselves.

Badonsky's story is illustrated with quotes by fa
Kate Arms-Roberts
If you like SARK, you might like this, but you will probably find it long winded. If SARK annoys you and strikes you as overly cutesy, this is worse.

There is a corner of the world that thinks whimsy is the definition of creative. This book is for them. There are good exercises in here buried under an over - extended metaphor about silly new muses without any gravitas.
These are the muses of childish play. They are not the muses of creative craftsmen.
The font is annoying and hard to read.
I hated
Bernadette Darnell
Sep 15, 2007 Bernadette Darnell rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: everyone!
There is a muse answer to every problem! Wherever you are currently at...whatever problems you may be facing....lack of play, fear, procrastination, overwhelm, perfection....open the book contact the muse and there you will find a whole ton of information to help you work through your problem. Light, deep, meaninful, fun whatever you are looking for Jill's book has the answer for you, with stuff to read, practice, meditate, fill out there is a wealth of wonderful things in this book to cover eve ...more
Jenny
Jul 09, 2008 Jenny rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: art
don't be fooled by the cheesy exterior and method of presentation - there is no mistaking the intelligent undercurrent all throughout the chapters that break down the complex psychology of the artist. will have to come back to this one.
Laura-nassidesa Eschbaugh
If you are in a creatve vortex and need a nudge,shove total kick in the panrs this is a wonderful book for you. The muses inspire and your body guards get you up and and going again. I know this is part of my perment collection.
Margaret
This book I read again. I think I have read it at least 10 times. It is so fun and inspirational. The book also has awesome quotes.
Kit Dunsmore
Refreshing book on creative process, with lots of great tools and ideas for getting over the challenges every creative person faces.
I'm reading this book right now and it is excellent. It inspires me to be more creative and remember my dreams.
Liz Toombs
Liz Toombs marked it as to-read
Mar 19, 2015
Gwyneth Dunsford
Gwyneth Dunsford marked it as to-read
Mar 16, 2015
Erin Nichols
Erin Nichols marked it as to-read
Mar 13, 2015
Maria
Maria marked it as to-read
Mar 08, 2015
Arthur Cravan
Arthur Cravan marked it as to-read
Mar 05, 2015
Danzaar
Danzaar marked it as to-read
Mar 02, 2015
Kristine
Kristine marked it as to-read
Feb 09, 2015
Kerriann Rose
Kerriann Rose is currently reading it
Feb 07, 2015
Missy
Missy marked it as to-read
Jan 31, 2015
Jennifer marked it as to-read
Feb 02, 2015
Adrienne C.
Adrienne C. marked it as to-read
Mar 03, 2015
Felicia
Felicia marked it as to-read
Jan 18, 2015
Krista
Krista marked it as to-read
Jan 17, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • The 12 Secrets of Highly Creative Women
  • Room to Write: Daily Invitations to a Writer's Life
  • Creative Journal: The Art of Finding Yourself
  • Inspiration Sandwich: Stories to Inspire Our Creative Freedom
  • Creative Is a Verb: If You're Alive, You're Creative
  • Kaleidoscope: Projects and Ideas to Spark Your Creativity
  • A Writer's Book of Days: A Spirited Companion and Lively Muse for the Writing Life
  • Creative Time and Space: Making Room for Making Art
  • The Creativity Book: A Year's Worth of Inspiration and Guidance
  • Artist Trading Cards Workshop: Create. Collect. Swap.
  • Finding Water: The Art of Perseverance
  • Storycatcher: Making Sense of Our Lives through the Power and Practice of Story
  • The Pocket Muse: Ideas and Inspirations for Writing
  • 90 Days to Your Novel: A Day-By-Day Plan for Outlining & Writing Your Book
  • The Crafter's Devotional: 365 Days of Tips, Tricks, and Techniques for Unlocking Your Creative Spirit
  • A Writer's Notebook: Unlocking the Writer Within You
  • SoulCollage: An Intuitive Collage Process for Individuals and Groups
  • Tear Up This Book!: The Sticker, Stencil, Stationery, Games, Crafts, Doodle, and Journal Book for Girls!
The Awe-manac: A Daily Dose of Wonder The Muse Is In: An Owner�s Manual to Your Creativity The Nine Modern Day Muses (and a Bodyguard)