Start by marking “The Nine Modern Day Muses: 10 Guides to Creative Inspiration for Artists, Poets, Lovers, and Other Mortals Wanting to Live a Dazzling Existence” as Want to Read:

4.25 of 5 stars 4.25  ·  rating details  ·  105 ratings  ·  9 reviews
Artist's Way-inspired teacher and acclaimed workshop leader Jill Badonsky shows how to unblock creativity and awaken the muses of imagination and inspiration in this unique guide to self-expression.

Meet Spills, Bea Silly, Albert, and Marge. No, they aren't TV's latest cartoon characters. They're just a few of the new and improved Muses.

Combining the whimsical and spiri
Published March 28th 2003 by Gotham (first published 2003)

To ask other readers questions about The Nine Modern Day Muses, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Nine Modern Day Muses

Kate Arms
If you like SARK, you might like this, but you will probably find it long winded. If SARK annoys you and strikes you as overly cutesy, this is worse.

There is a corner of the world that thinks whimsy is the definition of creative. This book is for them. There are good exercises in here buried under an over - extended metaphor about silly new muses without any gravitas.
These are the muses of childish play. They are not the muses of creative craftsmen.
The font is annoying and hard to read.
I hated
Annemieke Windt
The title and cover of Nine Modern Day Muses (and a Bodyguard) already suggest an element of fun and playfulness. Jill Badonsky tells us about her modern interpretation of the muses to help us be more creative. A lot of her ideas are borrowed from creative writers such as Julia Cameron. But Badonsky's muses each tackle a part of the creative process. Playing, breaking rules if we want to try out new ideas and the value of being kind to ourselves.

Badonsky's story is illustrated with quotes by fa
Bernadette Darnell
Sep 15, 2007 Bernadette Darnell rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: everyone!
There is a muse answer to every problem! Wherever you are currently at...whatever problems you may be facing....lack of play, fear, procrastination, overwhelm, the book contact the muse and there you will find a whole ton of information to help you work through your problem. Light, deep, meaninful, fun whatever you are looking for Jill's book has the answer for you, with stuff to read, practice, meditate, fill out there is a wealth of wonderful things in this book to cover eve ...more
Jul 09, 2008 Jenny rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: art
don't be fooled by the cheesy exterior and method of presentation - there is no mistaking the intelligent undercurrent all throughout the chapters that break down the complex psychology of the artist. will have to come back to this one.
Laura-nassidesa Eschbaugh
If you are in a creatve vortex and need a nudge,shove total kick in the panrs this is a wonderful book for you. The muses inspire and your body guards get you up and and going again. I know this is part of my perment collection.
This book I read again. I think I have read it at least 10 times. It is so fun and inspirational. The book also has awesome quotes.
Kit Dunsmore
Refreshing book on creative process, with lots of great tools and ideas for getting over the challenges every creative person faces.
Jul 17, 2007 Sarah rated it 5 of 5 stars
I'm reading this book right now and it is excellent. It inspires me to be more creative and remember my dreams.
Victoria Rodriguez
Victoria Rodriguez marked it as to-read
Oct 24, 2015
Tiffany marked it as to-read
Sep 14, 2015
Michelleviscal marked it as to-read
Sep 05, 2015
Freema Telotoy
Freema Telotoy marked it as to-read
Sep 02, 2015
Donna marked it as to-read
Aug 11, 2015
Cathy Tovarez
Cathy Tovarez marked it as to-read
Jul 22, 2015
Kimberly marked it as to-read
Jul 18, 2015
Hollybeth marked it as to-read
Jul 18, 2015
Addicted to Books
Addicted to Books marked it as to-read
Jul 15, 2015
Jenn M
Jenn M marked it as to-read
Jul 10, 2015
Andrea Petzel
Andrea Petzel marked it as to-read
Jun 13, 2015
Gauri Sapkota
Gauri Sapkota marked it as to-read
May 26, 2015
  • The Creativity Book: A Year's Worth of Inspiration and Guidance
  • Inspiration Sandwich: Stories to Inspire Our Creative Freedom
  • Collage Lost and Found
  • Foolsgold: Making Something from Nothing and Freeing Your Creative Process
  • Where Do You Get Your Ideas?: A Writer's Guide to Transforming Notions Into Narratives
  • Kaleidoscope: Projects and Ideas to Spark Your Creativity
  • Artist Trading Cards Workshop: Create. Collect. Swap.
  • Finding Water: The Art of Perseverance
  • Living the Creative Life: Ideas and Inspiration from Working Artists
  • Storycatcher: Making Sense of Our Lives through the Power and Practice of Story
  • Tear Up This Book!: The Sticker, Stencil, Stationery, Games, Crafts, Doodle, and Journal Book for Girls!
  • A Writer's Book of Days: A Spirited Companion and Lively Muse for the Writing Life
  • 90 Days to Your Novel: A Day-By-Day Plan for Outlining & Writing Your Book

“Often the Muse will not respond to direct and logical requests. She must be lured in with the playful and gentle.” 0 likes