Start by marking “The Complete Illustrated Works” as Want to Read:
The Complete Illustrated Works

The Complete Illustrated Works

4.33 of 5 stars 4.33  ·  rating details  ·  19,953 ratings  ·  108 reviews
Famed for his Alice in Wonderland and Through the Looking Glass, Lewis Caroll produced comic verse, puzzles and much more, all of which are included in this complete illustrated collection.
Published October 1st 1982 by Chancellor Press (first published 1884)

To ask other readers questions about The Complete Illustrated Works, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Complete Illustrated Works

K.D.
This has turned into one of my, "at home" books; I dare you to take it into public. It's like bound spontaneous laughter.

"Well, now that we have seen each other," said the Unicorn, "if you'll believe in me, I'll believe in you. Is that a bargain?"
Josh
This volume will stay with me for my entire life. It was the first "grown-up" book I ever received -- as a gift from a stranger whose name escapes me. Whoever it was, they changed my life. Stepping into Carroll's world opened my mind to the possibilities of the human imagination, the concept of math as art, and interested me in the man behind the genius.
Alexis Fedor
For me, who hasn't read these stories all the way through, I find my imagination stimulated with each short sitting.
Sofia
I have very mixed reviews of this one book. Complete collections of Lewis Carroll, and I now understand why Alice in Wonderland, followed by Through the Looking Glass, are his best known works. I suppose I shouldn't say I "completed" this book, because after Sylvie and Bruno I just couldn't take it. Baby talk. I cannot STAND baby talk in real life, and reading it (even coming from a small child), is more than I can take. For example, here's the sort of excerpt that makes me fly on in an angry ra ...more
A
Nov 11, 2008 A rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who enjoys the work of Lewis Carroll
I consider the "Alice" books and Carroll's nonsense poems some of the greatest works in the English language. Viewing the full scope of his work in this hefty tome, it's difficult to say everything else reaches the same level, which is why I dock a star. The "Sylvie & Bruno" novels are interesting, more adult versions of his surreal fantasy with overt nods to fairy lore, but they oddly suffer from moralism and sentimentality. His early poetry is strikingly very Victorian and not always bad, ...more
Courtney
6) The Hunting of the Snark
7) Phantasmagoria and Other Poems
8) Three Sunsets and Other Poems
Lianne (The Towering Pile) Lavoie
This review will be sort of split up by section, since there's a wide variety of material in this book.

The book starts out with Alice's Adventures in Wonderland. Of course, this story is simply delightful. I'd read it before, and it's what made me figure I'd enjoy Carroll's complete works. It has just the right amount of nonsense, and the characters are simply delightful. And this is one of those books that was adapted to film so well that having seen the movie actually increases my enjoyment of
Michael Palmer
The Compete Lewis Carroll is one of a very short list of books I've begun and couldn't get myself to finish. I derived no enjoyment from the book at a certain point and that is where I stopped (Sylvie and Bruno chapter 7). I realized for the last few chapters I had been wondering to myself "how much longer until this is book is done?!". When reading feels like an obligation and chore the book will always be shelved.

The Alice stories weren't terrible and themselves would have likely received a 2
Justin Anthony
I bought this book solely for Alice in Wonderland and Through the Looking Glass and stopped reading after Through the Looking Glass although I may pick it up later on.

Reading this book makes me wonder how it would be interpreted by someone reading it 100 years ago and if it would have been as strange then as it is today. Carroll is a very imaginative writer and has so many characters that come from all over it really is fun to read is stories.

Reading Carroll’s writing made me think a little of
Susie
This book was really good. It was good to read the actual Alice books. I liked Through the Looking Glass better because of it's chess theme. I was familiar with The Hunting of the Snark (through the musical) so that was an interesting read as well. Then came some logic and mathematical puzzles most of which I didn't work out, but were still kind of fun. The book also contained some blah blah blah boring poems.

My favorite part of the book was reading Sylvie and Bruno, a fabulous tale of fairies a
Thuraya
Apr 20, 2010 Thuraya rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Someone looking for a little nostalgia or just brushing up on the classics. And mothers.
Recommended to Thuraya by: It's the selected April 2010 Book for The Richmond Book Club.
Shelves: book-club-books
(at page 114)- Alice's Adventures in Wonderland

I've just finished reading "Alice's Adventures in Wonderland" which is the book being discussed at The Richmond Bookclub this month (April 2010). All I knew of this story was the Disney movie version and was excited to read the original tale.

There's no doubt that Lewis Carroll is a writer of wit and imagination--and I respect Alice's place within the realm of "The Classics"--but I found myself at times weary of its absurd and repetitive nature. And
Colin
Meh. Lewis Carroll has never really been my idea of a good time, and I wondered if reading the complete works would change my mind. It hasn't. I can acknowledge the quality of his prose, the cleverness of some of his verse, but on the whole the subject matter treated and the way in which it is treated don't interest me much. Incidentally, lest I be thought a slave to fashion, I would like to point out that when I undertook to read the complete works of Lewis Carroll I was unaware of the big-budg ...more
LauraT
Capisco che per tollerare tutto questo nonsense bisogni essere abbastanza "slegati", come in effetti mi sento io.
Ma, anche in relativamente poche pagine, Carrol riesce a mettere un'intera esplosione di fuochi d'artificio verbali che, ogni volta che lo si apre, si scopre qualche nuova frase o spunto che ti era sfuggito magari solo un mese prima.
Cosa mi ha colpito di più? Adesso, l'irriverenza contro il potere, il far vedere quanto siano piccole le prepotenze di chi ci sta teoricamente sopra e q
Lorena
I have to admit that I only read Alice in Wonderland and Through the Looking Glass -- I tried to read the rest but sadly they didn't hold my interest as much as the two I picked the book up for in the first place.

I wanted to reread them for purposes involving work, so I was reading them with a particular slant and an eye towards mentions of fragrances, but I kept getting sidetracked with the logic puzzles and the fun poetry and the general amazing imagery that grabbed me as a child and has neve
St-Michel
Lewis Carroll is one of my top three favourite authors of all time and this is indeed the greatest collection of his works. It has everything and then some plus MORE!!!!!
I've always loved the tales of Alice and the Looking Glass, but to me, they're nothing compared to the charming wit lashed out from every corner throughout Sylvie and Bruno. Plus all the acrostics, poetry, letters, mathematical devices and clever word problems - they are all such a delight.
Everything in here just says one thing:
Callie
Overall I enjoyed reading this collection. "Alice in Wonderland" and "Through the Looking Glass" were amazing, of course. I also really liked "Sylvie and Bruno." All three were imaginative and unique. However, "Sylvie and Bruno Concluded" was not nearly as well done. It seemed like the author simply took the established characters and used them to rant about his own opinions of society and religion. Most of the prose by Carroll is enjoyable, but some of it seemed rather forced. As I said, I like ...more
Elizabeth
Will always be reading this over and over and over...
Kitty
I found this in a bookstore in Myrtle Beach and was ecstatic. It had "The Hunting of the Snark", which I h ad heard of, but never read, and the Sylvie and Bruno books, which I had never even heard about, with a other stuff that was all bonus.

Sylvie and Bruno are nothing like Alice. They are, frankly, very sweet.

I particularly dug the Sillygisms after I had taken Logic in college, five years later.

I have had to buy a second copy and it is pretty beat up, but I'm not willing for it to be absent fr
Keith
This is a nice volume containing all of Lewis Carroll's works, including the accompanying artwork. I've done a number of reviews of other editions of Carroll's nonsense books.

The Hunting of the Snark ***** One of my favorite books. See my review here: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

Phantasmagoria *** This includes a couple fantastic poems, but it's not as good or as consistent as THe Hunting of the Snark or the Alice books. See my review here: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

Pieter Brouwer
I'm finished... that is to say: I read the two classics at the beginning (Wonderland and Through the Looking-glass), but I didn't like them much (but it's good I've read them because of intertextual stuff). The tales and poetry after that were worse, so I stopped and now the book is waiting for another parent. I know many people do like Lewis Carroll, but to me it was only gibberish, so called 'funny' dreamish dialogues and bad word-jokes. Sorry if I hurt some readers, but that is what is was fo ...more
Meirav Rath
Jul 06, 2008 Meirav Rath rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Pedophiles...
Shelves: fiction
I gave up in the middle of the Bruno and Sylvie saga. The Alice in Wonderland stories were fun and interesting to read but by the saga the nonsense and the bizzare attraction to young girls who are a symbol of prefection was getting on my nerves. Call me a cold-hearted person but there's only so much strangely-placed nonsese I can tolerate and if there's too much child-adoration and not enough plot I give up.

Don't bother with the whole collection; Alice's stories are quite enough to enjoy Carrol
Lydia
I don't think I'm LEARNING anything from this book, but we'll see...oh, yes, I did learn something about the correct pronounciations of the nonsense in Jabberwocky...which is not nonsense after all, apparently.

Now that I've finished it, it wasn't all that bad. I skipped the Alice parts to read all the stuff I hadn't read yet.

Carroll was a brilliant poet, and he wasn't a bad novelist, either. I think he was a Christian, though he had funny ideas about the perfection of children.
Dark-Draco
I enjoyed Alice in Wonderland and Through the Looking Glass, especially as this copy has fantastic replicas of the original drawings. Although the story is so familier, it was nice to actually read it at last. I couldn't get into the Sylvia and Bruno stories at all - I was totally lost after a couple of chapters, so gave up. The poems, word games and acrostics are brilliant and well worth dipping in and out of. In all, a good read, but the classic stories remain the best.
La pointe de la sauce
'If you'll believe in me, I'll believe in you.'
Lewis Caroll's writing borders on bizarre, brilliant and complete nonsense. I enjoyed Alice in Wonderland and Through The Looking Glass but the rest of his work -Bruno et al- crosses too deep into the land of artistic nonsense and lacks any coherence or theme.
Though this works well in Alice's dreamlike world it just didn't captivate me as much in Bruno.

Nina
Alice's Adventures in Wonderland - Truly a wonderful story! Never read anything like it before, the characters are lovely and amusing, it is just wonderfully mad! The poems are lovely!

Through the Looking-Glass & What Alice Found There - Lovely poems and interesting story, don't quite like it as much as I did Wonderland, but perhaps one needs to understand chess to fully understand this story?
Ted Myers
Having now finished the book, I have mixed feelings... The "Alice" stories were okay. "The Rhyme? Reason?" poems were not great.

The "Three Sunsets and Other Poems" were good -- although pretty melancholy. He wrote as a man who had relationship problems.

As a poet, Lewis Carroll is a much better novelist. While his novels are fanciful, his fantasy poetry is pure nonsense. Just not my genre...
Scott Holmes
I read the Alice stories and on a number of occasions tried several of the others but found I couldn't do it. It's difficult to tell if the Alice stories are truly as good as we'd like to think or if the images have been so thoroughly impregnated into out brains through Disneyfication that we over rate their value. Not to mention Grace Slick's take on the tale.
Fi °♥° LoveMoonStars
The Complete Works from Lewis Carroll

- Alice in Wonderland and Through the Looking-Glass.

Both are one of my favourite books and loved very much. A curious-world with all curious things... Alice in Wonderland will always be a classic, whimsical tale that will be enjoyed by many others..

We all have a Alice in one of us... being curious..
ysar
Ok, so I haven't had time to read the entire book yet, but I read all the Alice stories (unabridged) when I was a teen, and this book is quite the treasure. In addition to the Alice stories you would expect, this edition includes funny little word puzzles and such that I found wonderful. If you have only read Alice, you have missed half the man's genius!
Merritt
I got this edition for Christmas... and oh is it pretty. All the illustrations, everything Carroll wrote, even some copies of his original Alice manuscript, handwritten. It is so pretty with its leather binding and its gold leaf. It is one of these books that is just... Ah... I sort of wish every book on my bookshelf looked like this one.
  • Four Complete Novels: Great Expectations/Hard Times/A Christmas Carol/A Tale of Two Cities
  • Charlotte & Emily Brontë: The Complete Novels
  • The Complete Poems and Plays, 1909-1950
  • Complete Works of Oscar Wilde
  • The Complete Tales and Poems of Winnie-the-Pooh (Winnie-the-Pooh, #1-4)
  • The Complete Works
  • The Complete Verse and Other Nonsense
  • The Complete Poetry and Prose
  • Perrault's Fairy Tales
  • Russian Fairy Tales (Pantheon Fairy Tale and Folklore Library)
  • The Complete Novels
  • The Complete Fairy Tales
  • The Complete Tales
  • Essential Tales and Poems
  • The Legend of Sleepy Hollow and Other Stories
  • The Unabridged Mark Twain
  • The Short Stories of Saki
  • Selected Stories
The Rev. Charles Lutwidge Dodgson, better known by the pen name Lewis Carroll, was an English author, mathematician, logician, Anglican clergyman and photographer.

His most famous writings are Alice's Adventures in Wonderland and its sequel Through the Looking-Glass as well as the poems "The Hunting of the Snark" and "Jabberwocky", all considered to be within the genre of literary nonsense.

Oxford s
More about Lewis Carroll...
Alice's Adventures in Wonderland & Through the Looking-Glass Alice in Wonderland (Alice's Adventures in Wonderland #1) Through the Looking-Glass, and What Alice Found There (Alice's Adventures in Wonderland #2) Alice's Adventures in Wonderland & Other Stories The Annotated Alice: The Definitive Edition