Start by marking “Inside Cyber Warfare: Mapping the Cyber Underworld” as Want to Read:
Inside Cyber Warfare: Mapping the Cyber Underworld

Inside Cyber Warfare: Mapping the Cyber Underworld

3.34  ·  Rating Details  ·  131 Ratings  ·  20 Reviews
What people are saying about "Inside Cyber Warfare""The necessary handbook for the 21st century."--Lewis Shepherd, Chief Tech Officer and Senior Fellow, Microsoft Institute for Advanced Technology in Governments"A must-read for policy makers and leaders who need to understand the big-picture landscape of cyber war."--Jim Stogdill, CTO, Mission Services Accenture

You may hav
Published December 7th 2009 by O'Reilly Media (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Inside Cyber Warfare, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Inside Cyber Warfare

Vasil Kolev
Nov 27, 2010 Vasil Kolev rated it did not like it
Shelves: tech
Boring, unstructured and full of crap. This is the kind of person that gives security people a bad name.
Ivan Kapersky
Oct 05, 2014 Ivan Kapersky rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cyberspace
Jeffrey Carr delivers an extensive in detail explanations of the emerging Cyberwarfare dilemma. As technology keeps advancing every day even faster. Cyberwarfare surges as the new methodology for war. Cyber attacks are growing every day and they become more complex. Countries can now launch each other multiple cyber attacks without invading their countries. Carr raises serious awareness of these cyber attacks and how every government should address the matter in other to create policies to avoid ...more
J.
Jul 27, 2013 J. rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction, postgrad
This book had real potential. It presented a good collection of views in a logical and precise manner, and didn't just focus on the most well-known cases.

However it suffered greatly from its sporadic, inconsistent and sometimes non-existent referencing, which was always badly indicated (so much so that whole chapters written by contributes were not clearly indicated.) If this issue were fixed (perhaps in a new edition), the book and its academic worth would be greatly improved.
Scott G9

Good introduction to the subject. Worth the read for some, background, history and example.
Ryan
Mar 10, 2010 Ryan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fairly unimpressive. What you will learn from this book: Cyber warfare is decentralized, not easily pinned down on one nation or the other, and not yet defined or covered under any international law (Shock!) Be prepared to read repeatedly how cyber-war is "revolutionizing" the face of modern conflict, etc. etc. Almost all of the examples given are of websites being disabled or defaced- either in the course of traditional warfare or as nationalistic upsurges against a given target. Upwards of mil ...more
Rico Buraga
Jul 15, 2012 Rico Buraga rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
You may have heard about "cyber warfare" in the news, but do you really know what it is? If this book will scare you into turning off your modem, then Jeffrey Carr's purpose in writing Inside Cyber Warfare: Mapping the Cyber Underworld will be accomplished. Carr wants shine light at the problem and to raise the level of awareness of these threats, making the book, which is really more like a text book than a journalistic account. A must read for policy makers/leaders and those starting out in cy ...more
Rick Howard
Apr 05, 2015 Rick Howard rated it liked it
My Review on my blog Terebrate: http://bit.ly/X53RgM

Executive Summary:

I recommend this book for Cyber Security historians and cyber warfare lawyers. It is a bit disorganized and much broader then the title implies. I valued the sections on the importance open source cyber intelligence, the legal issues involved to conduct Cyber Warfare operations and the detailed discussion around Russia’s attacks on Estonia, Georgia and Kyrgyzstan. The details around North Korea’s attacks on South Korea and US
Todd N
Apr 26, 2013 Todd N rated it it was ok
Shelves: kindle
This was an okay overview of cyber warfare. I have this thought then I'll get drafted into the army, so I better learn about cyber warfare so that I don't have to carry a gun or lift anything heavier than a laptop.

There are several different authors covering several different topics, so there is a lot of overlap with examples and concepts. There isn't any technical content (i.e. code examples), which is unusual for an O'Reilly book. But there are plenty of legal arguments.

I particularly liked th
Joe Vander Zanden
Apr 20, 2015 Joe Vander Zanden rated it it was amazing
Read this book awhile back but just got around to adding it to my books. This is more of a policy book than a technical book. It's worth reading, but you can pick most of it up off the interwebs. I suspect the main value prop was collating the content.
Peter Kahn
Dec 29, 2011 Peter Kahn rated it liked it
Shelves: technology
The internet binds our government, businesses and people together crossing national boundaries easily, presenting challenges for our legal and defense regimes. Our infrastructure and our economy linked via the internet offers great benefits and exposes us to great risks which are exploited by intelligence services, criminal organizations and terrorist groups. For the past 10 plus years information skirmishes have been fought across the globe and we have been mostly unaware. It is critical that w ...more
John
Jun 10, 2012 John rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-for-college
Carr does a very good job of explaining the problems and challenges of modern cyber-warfare and the ways of handling it. Cyber-crime vs. Cyber-war is a recurring theme, and Carr uses many diverse current events and emerging issues to illustrate his points. It's very technical, but not so much that the lay reader is lost. His analyses are practical and not rooted in biased political rhetoric but focus on real-world solutions to ongoing cyber-world problems.
Frank
Dec 21, 2013 Frank rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Extremely easy to read. Better chapters are toward the end of the book where he goes into the structure of Russian and China's capabilities. He also covers the recent purchase of US based companies by both Russian and Chinese firms which may or may not cause issues in the future. Probably too much time spent reviewing the Georgian and South Ossetia which has been covered ad nauseum.
Jacob
meh....DDoS and website defacement discussions are prime examples of what's given. Published in late 2011 with no real discussion of cyber effects blending into physical domain (e.g. stuxnet), not much mobile discussion, and missing what real impact previous cyber "attacks", which are given as examples, had on their victims overall operations at the time of attack.
Ritchie
Sep 14, 2010 Ritchie rated it liked it
The book is not bad, it gives you some interesting inside into the Cyber Warfare, but with all these names, persons, etc. you're getting kinda tired and after a while the book gets boring.
I actually wasn't able to finish the book...
Alejo
Nov 06, 2014 Alejo rated it really liked it
Shelves: cyber
It could be better if it explored some of the ideas it exposed instead of all the beaurocratic crap
Marcel
Sep 09, 2015 Marcel rated it liked it
I paid $50 for this? This book was so pricey that there was a section in the book that had to explain to the reader why the cost was justified! So be it. It was an interesting book. The only thing I remember is Conficker. Scary.
Dan
Feb 12, 2011 Dan rated it liked it
Shelves: infosec
I fundamentally disagree with his approach to information assurance and what constitutes cyber warfare, and he's a bit too naive (perhaps intentionally so), but overall a good introduction to the topic.
Neil
Apr 27, 2012 Neil rated it liked it
It is a high level view of Cyber Warfare from a nation state perspective. I would not run out and get this one.
dersteppenwolf
Jan 20, 2012 dersteppenwolf rated it it was ok
Este libro es una "colcha de retazos" muchos de ellos muy mal escritos.
Lance Quejada
Apr 09, 2010 Lance Quejada is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
This is future war.
Doug Sparling
Doug Sparling is currently reading it
Aug 21, 2016
Asgard
Asgard is currently reading it
Aug 17, 2016
Conrad Kress
Conrad Kress marked it as to-read
Aug 15, 2016
Taylor Norenberg
Taylor Norenberg marked it as to-read
Aug 10, 2016
somalisketch
somalisketch marked it as to-read
Aug 10, 2016
Jay
Jay marked it as to-read
Aug 04, 2016
Katie Holem
Katie Holem is currently reading it
Aug 23, 2016
Ahally
Ahally added it
Jul 27, 2016
Frederic
Frederic rated it it was ok
Jul 26, 2016
Ignas
Ignas marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2016
  • The Basics of Hacking and Penetration Testing: Ethical Hacking and Penetration Testing Made Easy
  • Hacking: The Next Generation
  • Cyberwar: The Next Threat to National Security & What to Do About It
  • Practical Packet Analysis: Using Wireshark to Solve Real-World Network Problems
  • Metasploit: The Penetration Tester's Guide
  • Assembly Language: Step-By-Step
  • Fatal System Error: The Hunt for the New Crime Lords Who are Bringing Down the Internet
  • Blown to Bits: Your Life, Liberty, and Happiness After the Digital Explosion
  • Practical Malware Analysis: The Hands-On Guide to Dissecting Malicious Software
  • Version Control with Git
  • America the Vulnerable: Inside the New Threat Matrix of Digital Espionage, Crime, and Warfare
  • Malware Analyst's Cookbook and DVD: Tools and Techniques for Fighting Malicious Code
  • 21st Century C: C Tips from the New School
  • The Art of Assembly Language
  • Cybersecurity and Cyberwar
  • Network Warrior
  • The Future of Violence: Robots and Germs, Hackers and Drones: Confronting A New Age of Threat
  • Mining the Social Web: Analyzing Data from Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, and Other Social Media Sites

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »