Start by marking “Art Photography Now” as Want to Read:
Art Photography Now

Art Photography Now

4.05 of 5 stars 4.05  ·  rating details  ·  86 ratings  ·  11 reviews
In the previous century, photography helped shape art; in the current one, it has begun to dominate it. Not only are major international museums and galleries mounting blockbuster exhibitions, but art photographers are also being celebrated as contemporary masters and their work commands unprecedented prices. This indispensable survey presents the work of 76 of the most im ...more
Published October 1st 2005 by Aperture (first published January 1st 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Art Photography Now, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Art Photography Now

Michelle
A good mix of the variety of "art photography" - not for those who have a preconceived or narrow idea of photography as a genre - they would say, I imagine: "So what? I can do that." A good display of what it means to have narrative, context and content. And also a good starting point. With the plethora of "photographers" out there, and many self-published, it is not easy to wade through to find those with ideas that one can draw from for inspiration.
Joe
Like most surveys, a mix of brilliant work and crap. If aliens landed in 2005 and wanted a brief glimpse into the world of photography, then this book would be OK. If you know your photo history and keep up with contemporary photography then this will be a review, and the essays a bit of a bore. I don't typically use the word "meh" but it's appropriate in this case. I enjoy discovering new work and new ideas and there wasn't much here for me.
Northern K Sunderland
Aug 28, 2008 Northern K Sunderland rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Artists
Shelves: art-theory
There are a lot of really great Artists featured in this book. But the main thing I got from this book, is that there are a lot of really terrible photographers out there who just have a lot of money behind them to produce something mediocre at best. But with money comes adoration, so I they are considered to be in the top tier of the photography world. Which makes you feel both good and bad.
Anda Manteufel
for a photography book, this is super text-dense and text-rich. super solid. super good. nearly perfect. my only critique is the physical nature of the book itself. could have had a better design/delivery ... especially since it's an 'art book.' i love contemporary art ... and i recommend this to others who do too.
Edy
pretty, oh so pretty

"I always want to make pictures where people can smell the sweat of another human being. They can feel what other people are feeling-- that's what I do in my pictures."

-Nan Goldin-

perfectly encapsulates my motivations when photographing people.
Dust Digital
A book that documents some styles within art photography. Portrait to landscape, narrative to object, fashion to document - this book shows the variation in photography today.
Charlotte
This books takes you through a variety of different photography styles. Whilst showing you a variety of photographers too.
Polly Alexandra
I loved this book. The images are incredible and it was great to read into more depth about the artists that were involved.
Jocelyn Green
Great inspiring photos with littles bits about the images created and the photographer, good for referencing.
Karen Ballou
I mostly browsed the photos. Who says an adult can't enjoy a picture book?
Mikal
There are so many brilliant people in this world!
Radu
Radu marked it as to-read
Nov 29, 2014
Pasha Mirashraphi
Pasha Mirashraphi marked it as to-read
Oct 31, 2014
Juno
Juno added it
Oct 26, 2014
Juria
Juria marked it as to-read
Sep 21, 2014
lyloster
lyloster marked it as to-read
Aug 12, 2014
Richard Hoy
Richard Hoy marked it as to-read
Jun 23, 2014
Matthew Gundry
Matthew Gundry marked it as to-read
Jun 08, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Auto Focus: The Self-Portrait in Contemporary Photography Face of Fashion Face of Fashion Home Truths: Photography and Motherhood Tirades and Evidence of Grace