Start by marking “Art Photography Now” as Want to Read:
Art Photography Now

Art Photography Now

In the previous century, photography helped shape art; in the current one, it has begun to dominate it. Not only are major international museums and galleries mounting blockbuster exhibitions, but art photographers are also being celebrated as contemporary masters and their work commands unprecedented prices. This indispensable survey presents the work of 76 of the most im ...more
Published October 15th 2005 by Aperture (first published January 1st 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Art Photography Now, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Art Photography Now

Mar 19, 2013 Michelle rated it it was amazing
A good mix of the variety of "art photography" - not for those who have a preconceived or narrow idea of photography as a genre - they would say, I imagine: "So what? I can do that." A good display of what it means to have narrative, context and content. And also a good starting point. With the plethora of "photographers" out there, and many self-published, it is not easy to wade through to find those with ideas that one can draw from for inspiration.
May 12, 2012 Joe rated it it was ok
Like most surveys, a mix of brilliant work and crap. If aliens landed in 2005 and wanted a brief glimpse into the world of photography, then this book would be OK. If you know your photo history and keep up with contemporary photography then this will be a review, and the essays a bit of a bore. I don't typically use the word "meh" but it's appropriate in this case. I enjoy discovering new work and new ideas and there wasn't much here for me.
Northern K Sunderland
Aug 28, 2008 Northern K Sunderland rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Artists
Shelves: art-theory
There are a lot of really great Artists featured in this book. But the main thing I got from this book, is that there are a lot of really terrible photographers out there who just have a lot of money behind them to produce something mediocre at best. But with money comes adoration, so I they are considered to be in the top tier of the photography world. Which makes you feel both good and bad.
May 20, 2012 Anda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012
for a photography book, this is super text-dense and text-rich. super solid. super good. nearly perfect. my only critique is the physical nature of the book itself. could have had a better design/delivery ... especially since it's an 'art book.' i love contemporary art ... and i recommend this to others who do too.
Jun 24, 2008 Edy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
pretty, oh so pretty

"I always want to make pictures where people can smell the sweat of another human being. They can feel what other people are feeling-- that's what I do in my pictures."

-Nan Goldin-

perfectly encapsulates my motivations when photographing people.
Dust Digital
Apr 24, 2012 Dust Digital rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A book that documents some styles within art photography. Portrait to landscape, narrative to object, fashion to document - this book shows the variation in photography today.
Sep 19, 2010 Charlotte rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This books takes you through a variety of different photography styles. Whilst showing you a variety of photographers too.
Polly Alexandra
Mar 25, 2013 Polly Alexandra rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book. The images are incredible and it was great to read into more depth about the artists that were involved.
Jocelyn Green
Great inspiring photos with littles bits about the images created and the photographer, good for referencing.
Karen Ballou
Jun 27, 2012 Karen Ballou rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012
I mostly browsed the photos. Who says an adult can't enjoy a picture book?
Feb 04, 2008 Mikal rated it it was amazing
There are so many brilliant people in this world!
BookDB marked it as to-read
Oct 20, 2016
Sarah Schandle
Sarah Schandle rated it it was ok
Sep 05, 2016
Raquel marked it as to-read
Aug 31, 2016
Miss A C Smith
Miss A C Smith rated it it was amazing
Aug 01, 2016
Yolanda Hassan
Yolanda Hassan rated it really liked it
Jul 31, 2016
Mistero'malley marked it as to-read
Jul 28, 2016
aylah Ireland
aylah Ireland rated it it was amazing
Jul 13, 2016
Sarah rated it it was amazing
Jul 09, 2016
Jenni Toivonen
Jenni Toivonen rated it it was amazing
Jul 01, 2016
rachael campbell
rachael campbell rated it it was amazing
Jun 20, 2016
Febi Annisa
Febi Annisa marked it as to-read
May 24, 2016
Slavko rated it it was amazing
May 08, 2016
Kim rated it it was amazing
May 06, 2016
Ángel Rafael
Ángel Rafael marked it as to-read
Mar 22, 2016
Tim is currently reading it
Mar 07, 2016