Start by marking “Faraday's Orphans” as Want to Read:
Faraday's Orphans

Faraday's Orphans

3.35  ·  Rating Details  ·  62 Ratings  ·  6 Reviews
When Berk Neilson, a helicopter pilot, becomes stranded on the Outside, he finds himself at the mercy of the burning sun and dangerous clans. What he doesn't expect to encounter is a companion--a wild young girl who calls herself Saydonya--and the freedom he never realized he desired.
Paperback
Published January 1st 1997 by Vista (first published October 1996)

To ask other readers questions about Faraday's Orphans, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Faraday's Orphans

Althea Ann
As I started reading this book, I thought, "Well, the writing's good... but it must be terribly unoriginal, because everything in it seems incredibly familiar!" Around page 75, I figured out that the reason it seemed so familiar was that I'd actually read it before.
Sigh.
But, I really like post-apocalyptic fiction, so I kept reading it.
It is good, especially for those who are fans of the genre.
However – Wood's theory on why apocalypse came about, in this book, is a geomagnetic polar shift. You ca
Marzell
Aug 14, 2015 Marzell rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Guter poastapokalyptischer SF mit einigen für meinen Geschmack zu brutalen Szenen.
Joelle
Jan 10, 2009 Joelle rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This came highly recommended and I should have loved it, but somehow it didnt tick with me. I can tell it is a good book about a well built dystopia, a world where something went really wrong and people try to survive and, for some, rebuild. I just didnt quite buy into any of the characters. Still, I think it is a good read for anyone who likes these kinds of 'bleak future' books.
Melody
Aug 03, 2012 Melody rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
The main character in this book is despicable, and not in a way that makes him fun to hate. Rape, violence, savagery that doesn't at all make sense for a guy with a decent loving upbringing - he's frequently a very not-nice guy. Graphic sexual descriptions, usually unpleasant. Cannibalism. This book was icky.
Trunatrschild
I'm an 80's gal and love my post apocalyptical novels. This is one of the best and I keep rereading it.
Erin
Dec 31, 2010 Erin rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love this author but I just couldn't get into this book. I guess because it is so unremittingly bleak.
Laura marked it as to-read
Jul 05, 2016
Sayo
Sayo marked it as to-read
Jul 02, 2016
Choirsoftheeye
Choirsoftheeye marked it as to-read
May 05, 2016
Sandra
Sandra marked it as to-read
Apr 14, 2016
Mihai Ambrosie
Mihai Ambrosie marked it as to-read
Apr 11, 2016
Veronika
Veronika rated it did not like it
Jan 31, 2016
Alina
Alina rated it it was amazing
Jan 18, 2016
Yvonne
Yvonne added it
Jan 16, 2016
Ciprián
Ciprián rated it it was amazing
Nov 13, 2015
ThePeacekeeper
ThePeacekeeper rated it it was amazing
Nov 20, 2015
Tarash_bulba
Tarash_bulba rated it really liked it
Nov 09, 2015
Johann Tabua
Johann Tabua marked it as to-read
Oct 28, 2015
Adrian Cearnău
Adrian Cearnău rated it liked it
Oct 24, 2015
Eelsmum
Eelsmum rated it really liked it
Apr 13, 2015
Cherie
Cherie rated it it was ok
Mar 23, 2015
Kyle Davis
Kyle Davis rated it really liked it
Feb 23, 2015
Val
Val marked it as to-read
Jun 10, 2015
Steven Thielking
Steven Thielking rated it liked it
Dec 31, 2014
Tyler
Tyler marked it as to-read
Dec 29, 2014
Tudor Antonescu
Tudor Antonescu rated it liked it
Nov 26, 2014
Dawn Smoker
Dawn Smoker rated it liked it
Oct 02, 2014
Lois Clark-Johnston
Lois Clark-Johnston marked it as to-read
Sep 24, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
aka Lee Wood.

N. Lee Wood is the author of Faraday's Orphans and Looking for Mahdi, both published by Gollancz/Vista in 1996. She sold her first ever novel in Romania and hasn't stopped being published since. She is a frequent visitor to British and European conventions, and travels extensively from her home in Paris. She is married to Norman Spinrad, who shares her enthusiasm for Europe in general
More about N. Lee Wood...