Start by marking “Faraday's Orphans” as Want to Read:
Faraday's Orphans

Faraday's Orphans

3.37 of 5 stars 3.37  ·  rating details  ·  60 ratings  ·  6 reviews
When Berk Neilson, a helicopter pilot, becomes stranded on the Outside, he finds himself at the mercy of the burning sun and dangerous clans. What he doesn't expect to encounter is a companion--a wild young girl who calls herself Saydonya--and the freedom he never realized he desired.
Published January 1st 1997 by Vista (first published October 1996)

To ask other readers questions about Faraday's Orphans, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Faraday's Orphans

Althea Ann
As I started reading this book, I thought, "Well, the writing's good... but it must be terribly unoriginal, because everything in it seems incredibly familiar!" Around page 75, I figured out that the reason it seemed so familiar was that I'd actually read it before.
But, I really like post-apocalyptic fiction, so I kept reading it.
It is good, especially for those who are fans of the genre.
However – Wood's theory on why apocalypse came about, in this book, is a geomagnetic polar shift. You ca
Guter poastapokalyptischer SF mit einigen für meinen Geschmack zu brutalen Szenen.
This came highly recommended and I should have loved it, but somehow it didnt tick with me. I can tell it is a good book about a well built dystopia, a world where something went really wrong and people try to survive and, for some, rebuild. I just didnt quite buy into any of the characters. Still, I think it is a good read for anyone who likes these kinds of 'bleak future' books.
The main character in this book is despicable, and not in a way that makes him fun to hate. Rape, violence, savagery that doesn't at all make sense for a guy with a decent loving upbringing - he's frequently a very not-nice guy. Graphic sexual descriptions, usually unpleasant. Cannibalism. This book was icky.
I'm an 80's gal and love my post apocalyptical novels. This is one of the best and I keep rereading it.
I love this author but I just couldn't get into this book. I guess because it is so unremittingly bleak.
Johann Tabua
Johann Tabua marked it as to-read
Oct 28, 2015
Val marked it as to-read
Jun 10, 2015
Tyler marked it as to-read
Dec 29, 2014
Lois Clark-Johnston
Lois Clark-Johnston marked it as to-read
Sep 24, 2014
Scott added it
Aug 27, 2014
Anna added it
Apr 19, 2014
Theresa marked it as to-read
Apr 02, 2014
Trilobyte marked it as to-read
Mar 15, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
aka Lee Wood.

N. Lee Wood is the author of Faraday's Orphans and Looking for Mahdi, both published by Gollancz/Vista in 1996. She sold her first ever novel in Romania and hasn't stopped being published since. She is a frequent visitor to British and European conventions, and travels extensively from her home in Paris. She is married to Norman Spinrad, who shares her enthusiasm for Europe in general
More about N. Lee Wood...