Start by marking “The God Project” as Want to Read:
The God Project

The God Project

3.87 of 5 stars 3.87  ·  rating details  ·  7,544 ratings  ·  92 reviews

Something is happening to the children of Eastbury, Massachusetts... Something that causes healthy babies to turn cold in their cribs. Something that strikes at the heart of every parent's darkest fears. Something unexplained that is taking the children, one by one.

Sally Montgomery has just lost her beautiful little baby girl. Lucy and Jim Corliss, bitterly divorced, have

Mass Market Paperback, 340 pages
Published May 1st 1983 by Bantam (first published 1982)

To ask other readers questions about The God Project, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The God Project

Dirk Grobbelaar
All Fall Down is also published as The God Project

The door was slightly ajar.
There was no sound from within, and for a moment [she] felt an unreasonable sense of panic.

This is an uneasy read.

The first half of the novel is innocuous enough. A bit leisurely even. That is… until the trap is sprung and you realise that the false sense of security was exactly what the author was counting on.

I had some suspicions, and even although at least one turned out to be true, I didn’t quite see the ending comi
Lauren Suchomski
I always enjoy reading a John Saul book every now and then because you can always count on several things: good writing, evil children, satisfying story. The God Project is no exception. The story centers around two families and their two boys: Randy and Jason. But these aren't ordinary children. After the death of Jason's infant sister, the parents work to discover a cause but the cause may be closer to home and worse then they could have imagined.

A quick easy read for horror fans. It is not o
Nikki
I am so happy that I rediscovered how awesome John Saul is. I am going to have to put him in my favorite author list along with Dean Koontz, Stephen King, Bentley Little and Laurell K. Hamilton. Just that little list alone should give you a little insight into what my favorite types of books are. If you've read my blog before though, you'll know that I read pretty much anything I can get my hands on.

In The God Project Saul focuses on a little New England town where children are dying in their s
Roger Bailey
This was a thoroughly enjoyable book. I have a little bit of a problem deciding what the main genre is. It is certainly science fiction, but it is also a thriller and a suspense and a mystery. Children keep disappearing in a small town and there is an epidemic of crip death too. The mother of a crib death victim is completely unconvinced that her baby died of normal crib death and starts trying to find out what is really going on. That makes the story a mystery to be solved. Once she starts maki ...more
Susan
I enjoyed this, but not that much -- and I can't quite put my finger on why. The mystery definitely kept me with it through the book, trying to figure out what was going on. And I was very sympathetic to the families who had lost their children, and felt they were were well-drawn as characters. But a part of me simply had trouble embracing the story as a whole.

In part, that may be because for each of the component elements (to be more specific would be a spoiler), I've read other works (e.g., b
J K
Miranda
I need to warn you ahead of time that this post does have some very slight spoilers in it. I don't give away anything specific, though, so I definitely encourage you to read on.

All Fall Down introduces us to two families: the Montgomerys and the Corlisses. After the Montgomerys' daughter dies of SIDS and the Corlisses' son disappears, both families are thrown into chaos. Sally Montgomery is looking for answers, but doesn't know who she can trust. Steve Montgomery wants his family to just move on
Robb Bridson
This story was only a little over 300 pages but was pretty boring. I'm guessing that maybe in the early '80s, the genetic engineering and computer critiques were new and fresh and enough to make up for the rest of the story. I thought the writing style was a little amateurish considering how revered Saul is. I'm guessing that maybe his later books are better.
James Tuck
THIS BOOK WAS THE SH*T WHEN I WAS 13!

Seriously, back then this was the coolest book I had ever read.

I refuse to revisit the inside of the pages because I KNOW it will not hold up to the standard set in my memory from 28 years ago.
Luna Raven
I read this book as a teenager and I have to say, this is by far still one of the scariest things I have ever read. I sum it up as the Stepford Wives meet the womb. If you want a good thriller, this one you should pick up!
Christi
I read this one over 20 years ago, but the ending still sticks with me. The writing is so-so, but I feel the ending was so awesome that it deserves 4-stars.
Clint
Interesting concept - secret genetic engineering of super warriors. Quick read but not much depth.
Melissa
I own a few of Saul's books and do enjoy the stories. I picked this one up as a break from my normal authors but similar genre. The idea behind the story and everything was pretty good, the ending I was glad was not the typical "happy ending" so made me a bit proud that the author did not give in and do what was all expected. However I think it could have been better told. I got in to the story easily enough and finished the book quickly, but about half way through it seemed to peter out and bec ...more
Athena
I had given this book 3 stars until I came to the end. "The God Project" is about genetic engineering, which has been practiced for a long time now, and how it's being abused for government purposes. Doesn't sound too far-fetched as this point, does it? The company devoted to the scientific research for this specific experiment was funded by a pharmaceutical company, and the department of defense. I liked the mysterious survey that no one knew anything about, and the fact that the women who didn ...more
Aldwin
Trisha
Sally Montgomery heeft alles wat ze wilt. Een goede baan, een liefhebbende man en twee gezonde kinderen. Maar dan komt dochter Julie te overlijden. Volgens de dokter wiegendood, maar Sally denkt aan moord en wilt dit bewijzen.
Enkele dagen later verdwijnt er een 9-jarig jongetje. Weggelopen zegt de politie. Ontvoerd zeggen de ouders. Als beide moeders in contact met elkaar komen, willen ze de zaken tot de bodem uitzoeken. Het antwoord is hun gruwelijkste nachtmerrie. Ze krijgen hulp uit onverwach
Sidney
I only gave this one 3 stars because 1) I wanted to get it off my shelf and thought a good Halloween book would end the month nicely, and 2) if you can get beyond the pure 80's motif such as the schools not reporting or contacting parents when a child doesn't show up for school or smoking in the hospital lobby then you'll get through this book just fine. I had forgotten how well John Saul writes. May read a couple others....they need to come off my shelf too!
Amy
Something fishy is going on in the once quiet town of Eastbury, Massachusetts, where two women are brought together after losing a child. Sally Montgomery loses her infant daughter Julie to SIDS, but she is convinced it was something else. Lucy Corliss loses her son Randy, who is reported as a runaway, but she is convinced he was kidnapped. Both parents discover that their children were secretly being surveyed by CHILD (Children's Health Institute for Latent Diseases) without consent, but why? W ...more
Francesco
Vote: 2,75
Class: L-B1 (FP)

I read some reviews that said this was a "fast pacing, breathtaking, awesome book...": it's not true, at least not for me.
I think it was just average, little developed and not very original book (well, maybe in the 80s it was original, I don't know).
I gave it 3 star because is not a bad book, it just isn't very appealing.

The plot (3,00) is not all that original but is almost good; a bit slow in the first half of the book, better in the ending. It remains very predictab
Ellen
This was my first John Saul for a while as I find a some of his books a little samey but I enjoyed The God Project a lot. It's an easy read and has a good plot that keeps you interested right to the creepy end.
Bob
Even though this book is 30+ years old, ‘All Fall Down’ is a science fiction thriller still relevant in many ways. Central to the plot are the themes of sudden child death and genetic manipulation, not to mention corrupt medical and military bad guys. Good story. I liked it.

Agi
Nice read, one of those you can't put down. But ending wasn't really satisfactory. It was ok, but I'd say it missed something. Unless there's second book on the way... :)
Leigh
The idea behind this book was interesting enough to help me finish it. I realize the book is a couple of decades old, but I believe we had spell check or at least editors even back then. This book is riddled with typos and poor grammar to the point of distraction. The dialogue between characters is like something off of Madmen. I can only assume that Saul has taken some strides in the face of the women's movement since this book has been written and now writes his female characters as more than ...more
Sara Waters
One of the easiest, yet creepiest books I've read by Saul. LOVED the ending! You will, too.
Katrin
Took awhile to get into it and it did skip around. Had a hard time keeping up with it.
Jonie
Loved this. My first John Saul Book many years ago and still remember
Avid Reader
I actually give it a 3 1/2 star rating. I don't think this anyone did any proofreading on this book before sending it to printing! There were so many spelling errors it interuppted the fluidity of reading in several spots scattered throughout the book. As for the story itself, great thought, captivating, and excellent last 1/8 of the book I didn't see coming at all! Nicely done ending.....not choppy like some who run out of ideas and just leave you with nothing except no explanation and everybod ...more
Dawn Leitheuser
Scary and devastating! Evil!
Barbara
The ending will floor you!
Kaung Myat Han
Unfortunately 'The God Project' by John Saul(which was published in the '80s) doesn't age quite well in my opinion compared to books by other contemporary horror/suspense writers of the same time. Quite dull and dragging with simplistic and predictable plot (about genetic engineering and creating super humans) and boring writing style, I'd rather pick up a much more entertaining Stephen King book next time than waste my time on another John Saul book. Sorry John Saul fans!
i don't think this is a real book 5 58 Jul 08, 2013 09:18PM
The Manhattan Hun...: The God Project (Group Read - March/April 2012) 8 16 May 05, 2012 10:01AM
  • The Hellfire Club
  • The Servants of Twilight
  • The Dean Koontz Companion
  • The Face of Fear
  • Breathe
John Saul was born in Pasadena, California on February 25, 1942, and grew up in Whittier where he graduated from Whittier High School in 1959. He attended several colleges—Antioch, in Ohio, Cerritos, in Norwalk, California, Montana State University and San Francisco State College, variously majoring in anthropology, liberal arts, and theater, but never obtaining a degree.
After leaving college, he