Start by marking “The God Project” as Want to Read:
The God Project

The God Project

3.89  ·  Rating Details ·  8,370 Ratings  ·  105 Reviews

Something is happening to the children of Eastbury, Massachusetts... Something that causes healthy babies to turn cold in their cribs. Something that strikes at the heart of every parent's darkest fears. Something unexplained that is taking the children, one by one.

Sally Montgomery has just lost her beautiful little baby girl. Lucy and Jim Corliss, bitterly divorced, have

Mass Market Paperback, 340 pages
Published May 1st 1983 by Bantam (first published 1982)

Edward Lorn
Nov 10, 2015 Edward Lorn rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Holy shit, where do I begin...

The book opens with an infant's death. SIDS is a horrible fucking thing. We watch a very believable scenario in which the mother doesn't want to believe her baby girl is dead. This section is really well done. Broke my heart.

And then the fuckery begins.

The author moves on and tries to explain SIDS through fictitious devices. I thought this was tactless. People deal with this horrible reality far too often. It is the number one cause of death in infants. It's terri
Apr 22, 2012 Nikki rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am so happy that I rediscovered how awesome John Saul is. I am going to have to put him in my favorite author list along with Dean Koontz, Stephen King, Bentley Little and Laurell K. Hamilton. Just that little list alone should give you a little insight into what my favorite types of books are. If you've read my blog before though, you'll know that I read pretty much anything I can get my hands on.

In The God Project Saul focuses on a little New England town where children are dying in their s
Lauren Suchomski
I always enjoy reading a John Saul book every now and then because you can always count on several things: good writing, evil children, satisfying story. The God Project is no exception. The story centers around two families and their two boys: Randy and Jason. But these aren't ordinary children. After the death of Jason's infant sister, the parents work to discover a cause but the cause may be closer to home and worse then they could have imagined.

A quick easy read for horror fans. It is not o
Roger Bailey
This was a thoroughly enjoyable book. I have a little bit of a problem deciding what the main genre is. It is certainly science fiction, but it is also a thriller and a suspense and a mystery. Children keep disappearing in a small town and there is an epidemic of crip death too. The mother of a crib death victim is completely unconvinced that her baby died of normal crib death and starts trying to find out what is really going on. That makes the story a mystery to be solved. Once she starts maki ...more
Jul 01, 2013 Athena rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-own
I had given this book 3 stars until I came to the end. "The God Project" is about genetic engineering, which has been practiced for a long time now, and how it's being abused for government purposes. Doesn't sound too far-fetched as this point, does it? The company devoted to the scientific research for this specific experiment was funded by a pharmaceutical company, and the department of defense. I liked the mysterious survey that no one knew anything about, and the fact that the women who didn ...more
 (shan) Littlebookcove
I had so much high expectations about this book. Sadly i couldn't quite get in to this book. It was my first ever John Saul book that i can recall reading. i don't think i've read any of his work's before and it left me very disappointed.

This book is over 30 years old and it simply hasn't aged well. It is a horror novel about genetic engineering, as several people in a small town suspect their children may the products of an experiment in human evolution.

The ending also. Well i was very disappo
Elizabeth Bingham
This book is extremely interesting and not a terrible summer read. The idea of something being wrong with out children or happening to them as being the most frightening thing that a parent can think of or experience is not new, but the way Saul gets in the psyches of the adults involved is fantastic. The story moves quickly and easily enough, and is well-written enough for belief suspension, which is not always the case for sci-fi/horror. Worth your time I think, and thought provoking too.

It d
Apr 10, 2016 Johanna rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
“The God Project” begins with every new parent’s nightmare – a child dying of SIDS. Sally and Steve Montgomery are devastated when their new baby girl, proclaimed perfectly healthy barely 48 hours beforehand, dies from crib-death. Sally, distraught with grief, refuses to accept that her healthy baby died for no discernable reason and starts to investigate a medical research group called CHILD. It would seem that the children surveyed by CHILD share flawless health records and early deaths. As Sa ...more
Robb Bridson
This story was only a little over 300 pages but was pretty boring. I'm guessing that maybe in the early '80s, the genetic engineering and computer critiques were new and fresh and enough to make up for the rest of the story. I thought the writing style was a little amateurish considering how revered Saul is. I'm guessing that maybe his later books are better.
James Tuck
Mar 28, 2011 James Tuck rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror

Seriously, back then this was the coolest book I had ever read.

I refuse to revisit the inside of the pages because I KNOW it will not hold up to the standard set in my memory from 28 years ago.
I enjoyed this, but not that much -- and I can't quite put my finger on why. The mystery definitely kept me with it through the book, trying to figure out what was going on. And I was very sympathetic to the families who had lost their children, and felt they were were well-drawn as characters. But a part of me simply had trouble embracing the story as a whole.

In part, that may be because for each of the component elements (to be more specific would be a spoiler), I've read other works (e.g., b
Shawn Leslie Dixon
Once again I am reminded of John Saul's reliability. I've read a half-dozen of his books and the worst of them was still pretty good.
A big point of his stories are the characters are just flawed humans acting as flawed humans should. There's no great underlying preachiness, he picks a target, one within the realm of reasonable fear, and builds some chills and thrills. This one tackles heartlessness of science and military industry to convey a particularly chilling tale with a super-good-times f
May 27, 2014 Melissa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I own a few of Saul's books and do enjoy the stories. I picked this one up as a break from my normal authors but similar genre. The idea behind the story and everything was pretty good, the ending I was glad was not the typical "happy ending" so made me a bit proud that the author did not give in and do what was all expected. However I think it could have been better told. I got in to the story easily enough and finished the book quickly, but about half way through it seemed to peter out and bec ...more
Nov 18, 2015 Alexa rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Jul 25, 2014 J K rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Christina Harlin
The two star review may not be completely fair, considering this book is over 30 years old and it simply hasn't aged well. It is a horror novel about genetic engineering, as several people in a small town suspect their children may the products of an experiment in human evolution. There's a wicked corporation (a drug company, go figure), evil scientists who are only interested in results no matter who they might hurt, frightened parents and unusual, possibly evil, children. Is it a shame we are ...more
Luna Raven
I read this book as a teenager and I have to say, this is by far still one of the scariest things I have ever read. I sum it up as the Stepford Wives meet the womb. If you want a good thriller, this one you should pick up!
Jun 26, 2010 Christi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this one over 20 years ago, but the ending still sticks with me. The writing is so-so, but I feel the ending was so awesome that it deserves 4-stars.
Feb 04, 2013 Clint rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting concept - secret genetic engineering of super warriors. Quick read but not much depth.
Dec 03, 2013 Aldwin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Feb 21, 2015 Trisha rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2010
Sally Montgomery heeft alles wat ze wilt. Een goede baan, een liefhebbende man en twee gezonde kinderen. Maar dan komt dochter Julie te overlijden. Volgens de dokter wiegendood, maar Sally denkt aan moord en wilt dit bewijzen.
Enkele dagen later verdwijnt er een 9-jarig jongetje. Weggelopen zegt de politie. Ontvoerd zeggen de ouders. Als beide moeders in contact met elkaar komen, willen ze de zaken tot de bodem uitzoeken. Het antwoord is hun gruwelijkste nachtmerrie. Ze krijgen hulp uit onverwach
Oct 28, 2014 Sidney rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I only gave this one 3 stars because 1) I wanted to get it off my shelf and thought a good Halloween book would end the month nicely, and 2) if you can get beyond the pure 80's motif such as the schools not reporting or contacting parents when a child doesn't show up for school or smoking in the hospital lobby then you'll get through this book just fine. I had forgotten how well John Saul writes. May read a couple others....they need to come off my shelf too!
Jun 12, 2008 Amy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Something fishy is going on in the once quiet town of Eastbury, Massachusetts, where two women are brought together after losing a child. Sally Montgomery loses her infant daughter Julie to SIDS, but she is convinced it was something else. Lucy Corliss loses her son Randy, who is reported as a runaway, but she is convinced he was kidnapped. Both parents discover that their children were secretly being surveyed by CHILD (Children's Health Institute for Latent Diseases) without consent, but why? W ...more
Vote: 2,75
Class: L-B1 (FP)

I read some reviews that said this was a "fast pacing, breathtaking, awesome book...": it's not true, at least not for me.
I think it was just average, little developed and not very original book (well, maybe in the 80s it was original, I don't know).
I gave it 3 star because is not a bad book, it just isn't very appealing.

The plot (3,00) is not all that original but is almost good; a bit slow in the first half of the book, better in the ending. It remains very predictab
Sep 14, 2015 Kade rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This one was better than any so far. At least it was enough different that I didn't feel like I had already read it. Very creepy actually.... but the digital copy that I checked from the library was LOADED with typos. Seriously, what is the process for converting books to digital? I need to sign up to be a proof reader. It was awful.
Chris Cangiano
Mar 23, 2015 Chris Cangiano rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror
Could the sudden unexplained death of Sally Montgomery's otherwise healthy baby daughter and then the mysterious disappearance of her neighbor, Lucy Corliss' young son be an indication of something amiss in the otherwise peaceful small town of Eastbury, Massachusetts? Could the fact that those two children and other Eastbury children have been secretly monitored since birth by a covert medical research firm going by the unlikely acronym CHILD have anything to do with it? Ya think? It's another s ...more
Jennifer  (Books That Hook)
I enjoyed reading this book, but not enough to want to re-read it. I think the problem for me was the dated culture, which isn't the author's fault because this is an older title. I also remember that the main female character was somewhat annoying.
Jason  morton
Jan 12, 2016 Jason morton rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Beside the typos awesome

This was classic I was hooked from beginning till end, and the ending ,Wow!!!! Freaking classic!!!!! Highly recommend t top any fans of the author or any fans of horror in general
Nov 14, 2014 Ellen rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was my first John Saul for a while as I find a some of his books a little samey but I enjoyed The God Project a lot. It's an easy read and has a good plot that keeps you interested right to the creepy end.
Jul 24, 2014 Agi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nice read, one of those you can't put down. But ending wasn't really satisfactory. It was ok, but I'd say it missed something. Unless there's second book on the way... :)
The Manhattan Hun...: The God Project (Group Read - March/April 2012) 8 17 May 05, 2012 10:01AM
  • The Hellfire Club
  • The Dean Koontz Companion
  • Breathe
  • Summer of Fear
  • Disturb Not The Dream
John Saul was born in Pasadena, California on February 25, 1942, and grew up in Whittier where he graduated from Whittier High School in 1959. He attended several colleges—Antioch, in Ohio, Cerritos, in Norwalk, California, Montana State University and San Francisco State College, variously majoring in anthropology, liberal arts, and theater, but never obtaining a degree.
After leaving college, he