Gossie

Gossie (Gossie and Friends)

4.13 of 5 stars 4.13  ·  rating details  ·  1,377 ratings  ·  110 reviews
Meet Gossie, a small yellow gosling who loves to wear bright red boots—every day. One morning Gossie can’t find her beloved boots. She looks everywhere for them: under the bed, over the wall, even in the barn. Preschoolers will enjoy helping Gossie find her red boots and delight in where Gossie finally finds them.
Published August 26th 2002 by HMH Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Gossie, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Gossie

The Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric CarleThe Seven Natural Wonders Of The EARTH (My First Travel Books by Anna OthitisSeven Wonders Of The WORLD by Anna OthitisMy First Fun Golf Steps by Anna OthitisA Pet Banana by Othen Donald Dale Cummings
Best Toddler Books
34th out of 272 books — 263 voters
African Safari with Ted and Raymond by Rhonda PattonWhere the Wild Things Are by Maurice SendakThe Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric CarleGreen Eggs and Ham by Dr. SeussThe Cat in the Hat by Dr. Seuss
Best Childhood Picture Books
71st out of 316 books — 321 voters

More lists with this book...

J Marsano
Could be a primer on board books

This is the original in a series of "Gossie" books by Olivier Dunrea that follow the adventures of a small yellow gosling who likes to wear bright red boots everyday. The action begins when our hero has lost her bright red boots. Where could they be? The simple text structure builds on Gossie's search

The illustrations are simple and bold, and the text structure is simple. This allows a pre- or sub- verbal infant/toddler to follow along, making predictions and fill...more
Tiff
Oct 14, 2007 Tiff rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: kids ages 2 - 5 and their parents
I *love* all of these stories by Dunrea. When I have kids of my own these will definitely be some of the first I read to them!
Inspired Kathy
Cute little board book that makes a great read aloud. My daughter loved it.
David
Gossie by Olivier Dunrea is an early entry in the Gossie and Gertie books. Gossie is "a small, yellow gosling who likes to wear bright red boots. Every day." Gossie wears them when she eats, sleeps, rides, hides, and walks. One morning Gossie can't find her red boots, so she looks under the bed, over the wall, in the barn, and under the hens. Gossie is heartbroken that she can't find them. Until she sees them walking on her friend's feet!

The text is short with simple words and lots of repetition...more
Jennifer Lavonier
Gossie is a perfect picture book.

A picture book’s strength lies in the marriage of text and illustrations. Often this means that you learn something from the art that isn’t stated in the words. The full story is only appreciated when you view the book as a whole. In Gossie, the bright, uncluttered, utterly pleasing art is a direct interpretation of the brief and straightforward text. But viewing them separately would deprive you of the pure joy that springs from the pages. Simply reading, “She...more
Melissa Frentsos
One thing we don't like about children's books is how often they use the word "love" for material things. That's the main thing we didn't like about this one. Instead of Gossie "loves" her boots, we say Gossie "likes" her boots. Instead of "Gossie was heartbroken" when her boots were missing, we say "Gossie was very sad." Anyway, kind of a cute book but really not one of our favorites.
Wendy Daniel
Gossie is a silly little goose. This series of books is a nice change of pace for babies (6 - 18 months). Introducing babies to books may seem like an irrelevant task, but this book definitely encourages a love of reading and produces some print awareness skills beginning at a young age. The colorful but simple illustrations are definitely adorable and appropriate for this age group.
July
Dec 09, 2012 July rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommended to July by: professor
Shelves: school-reading
I read this little tiny book in one of my English courses at university. The course is called "Interpersonal and Classroom Discourse" and aims to prepare us (we're all becoming Primary School teachers) for teaching children stories to German primary school pupils. German kids learn English from grade 3 on (primary school is 4 years) and they don't speek a single word English at that time.
So you have to teach them English while reading very easy stories to them - for example "Gossie".

I think it'...more
Erin
Gossie is a gosling who likes to wear red boots while doing everything. One morning, she can't find them. She looks everywhere for them and eventually finds them on Gertie's feet.

Good for toddler storytimes.
Rima Aroutiounian
This little duckling loooooves her red boots! She does everything with her red boots on. She also loves to share. The book has repetition and rhyming. Good for phonological awareness.
Tawnie
Gossie is a bright yellow gosling who loves her red boots. She wears them everyday, doing everything, until one day they go missing. She searches everywhere for them and eventually finds them on someone else’s feet. The bright primary colored illustrations are done in a vignette style, with lots of white space on the edges, but that does not stop the simple cartoon styled ink and watercolor paintings from being full of small details. The story is expressed in short and simple sentences that easi...more
Juliana
My granddaughter and I enjoyed this book so much at the bookstore, I just had to buy it for her! Next stop.... the red boots store!
Libby
I thought the style of pictures was very cute. I also liked that there was very little writing on each page, so as not to get too boring for the short attention span of young minds. Although, the whole book was apparently too long for my son, as he has yet to find out the end. I like that even though it's clear how much Gossie loves her red boots, she is still willing to share them in the end. However, the book doesn't come right out and say "Gossie shares her boots. Good for her. You should too...more
Allison
I love these goslings. I also love that this book comes with a free mp3 download
Derek
It is, frankly, about the least interesting book I've read.

But my son is at just the age where the story is simple enough for him to not just follow but to remember and to empathize with. (And the 'empathize' thing is a new developmental milestone that has us jumping for joy, crying, "He's NOT a sociopath after all!")

He reads the story with me, his face betraying the emotional roller coaster ride of Gossie enjoying her bright red boots, becoming heartbroken over their loss, and rejoicing at thei...more
Candina
Very sweet book. Toddlers love it!
Kristin Hamrock
Very cute book that is great for young readers. About Gossie, who absolutely adores her red boots and wears them everywhere. One day she can't find her red boots, and searches for them everywhere until she finds them on her friend's feet! They come to share the boots, making this story a great one to read to very young children based on the lesson of sharing. The words are simple and the book is smaller, so younger readers can hold it. My pre-k kids loved "reading" it because they could hold it...more
Annelise
I really love my red boots, too.
Jessica
Gossie is a gosling who loves her bright red boots. She wears them everyday, everywhere she goes, in any weather. One day, her bright red boots are missing. She searches everywhere to find them and eventually finds them on someone else’s feet! Her friend, Gertie, has borrowed them and fell in love with the boots too. Now Gossie and Gertie share the boots. I think this is a great story with simple pictures and simple words. It is a board book that is easy for babies to hold and look at.
Magila
3.5

I wanted to love this book, but I found it wanting. It wasn't just that the book was simple, because I happen to love numerous simple picture books. There was something so disappointing about it, as if the cuteness of Gossie was supposed to make up for the relative bleh of the story. Well, Gossie was cute, but cute picture book characters are a dime a dozen. I want substance, and I found it was lacking.

A good library grab, but i won't be picking up a copy for myself anytime soon.
Katie
With cute pictures, spare text, and adorable story (about a gosling who loves and loses and finds and shares her red boots), this book would be *perfect* for library storytime, except that it is so little! When I bemoaned its petite size to a mentor librarian, she suggested telling the story with props, like flannel board or puppets. Which is a brilliant idea, and the next chance I get to be crafty, I am determined to make a set of Gossie puppets.
Christina
The series begins with Gossie & Gertie although they do not have to be read in any particular order. They are short, cute and fun books. They do not teach any higher values and morals; they are purely for entertainment. The reason I give them all four stars is because my son loves them so much, he carries them around with him everywhere and I like the art. Anything that encourages my semi-reluctant reader that well deserves a decent rating.
Tara Geske
This book has the cutest pictures ever! It is a great book to for beginners because of all the rhyming words. This book is also great if you are teaching about prepositions because there is a large chunk of the book that uses different prepositions. This book also includes some opposites that could be used for teaching moments. Gossie teaches about the importance of sharing because in the end she shares her boots with her new friend.
Tyrone Hardy
This book was about a little duck who woke up one day and couldn't find her bright red boots. The book is actually part of a series, and it was fun to read the other books that go along with it. The book could be used to introduce the very simple concept of subtraction. The duck has 2 red books, and then none, and then 1 of 2. The book was colorful and entertaining. It is best suited for pre-k and below.
"Gossie is a gosling. A small, yellow gosling who likes to wear bright red boots. Every day." Small and square, this book (also available in boardbook) is just the right size for a toddler. Bright illustrations on a white background show the simplicity of Gossie's farm life. This is one of a series of Gossie and friends books-- each one is simple and small, but has enough story to interest older pre-schoolers too.
Lindsey
A cute story about a gosling named Gossie and all the fun things she does with her red boots. When they go missing, Gossie looks all over before finding them on a new friend.

The strong colors and simple text are great for the youngest readers, although this is longer than your standard board book (which it is not; this is a small hardcover). One of a fun series of books for little ones.
Jenny Brown
What toddler does not have a special something that he or she cannot live without? Gossie is a small yellow gosling who loves to wear her bright red boots everywhere she goes. “She wears them when she eats. She wears them when she sleeps.” But one morning she wakes up to find her bright red boots gone!

Full review:
Jenny
I loved this book! I think Gossie is absolutely adorable. I could just imagine her stomping around. And that last page with Gossie and Gertie each with one boot on is so dang cute. This is one I will probably have to buy since I liked it so much. I honestly had a hard time taking it back to the library because I wanted to read it again!
Peggy
"Very cute story about a little gosling who LOVES her red boots. And then one day they disappear and she looks everywhere for them - which is cute. My two year old enjoys the hunt for her red boots. However, I think the end is a confusing to little ones because Gossie and Gertie look way too much alike - but that's my only complaint."
Connie
We have read all the books in this series. They're very simple and formulaic, but in a good way - very cute, too.

Only problem? After the 100th rendition (especially if you're reading the other very similar books as well), you can recite that book in your sleep. And you will. Oh, how you will.
  • What's Up, Duck?: A Book of Opposites
  • My Friends/Mis Amigos
  • Llama Llama Nighty-Night
  • Little Blue Truck
  • Blue Goose
Since his debut in 1983, author and illustrator Olivier Dunrea has created a steady stream of picture books, including concept books, stories of family life—modern and ancient—and stories about artists. Many of Dunrea's picture books testify to his love of animals and his interest in archaeology and folklore of the British Isles, and several—including Ravena, The Trow-Wife's Treasure, and Bear Noe...more
More about Olivier Dunrea...
Gossie and Gertie Ollie Old Bear and His Cub BooBoo Ollie the Stomper