Start by marking “Jim Cramer's Real Money: Sane Investing in an Insane World” as Want to Read:
Jim Cramer's Real Money: Sane Investing in an Insane World

Jim Cramer's Real Money: Sane Investing in an Insane World

3.62 of 5 stars 3.62  ·  rating details  ·  1,098 ratings  ·  80 reviews
How do we find hot stocks without getting burned? How do we fatten our portfolios and stay financially healthy? Former hedge-fund manager and longtime Wall Street commentator Jim Cramer explains how to invest wisely in chaotic times, and he does so in plain English in a style that is as much fun as investing is -- or should be, when it's done right.For starters, Cramer rec...more
Published March 1st 2005 by Simon & Schuster (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Jim Cramer's Real Money, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Jim Cramer's Real Money

Charles Kato
I started listening to Jim Cramer about a decade ago when I was still living in South-East Austin. There was a 50,000 watt AM station (WOAI) being broadcast out of San Antonio that was somehow able to get coverage all the way to me, some 80 miles away. As I drove around town I would listen intently as Jim would invite me and my leaky 1989 Ford escort to join him in a piece of the action. He was exciting, motivating, and usually right. Cramer was my first real glimpse into the finance world, and...more
Qt
Interesting book, interesting ideas/theories. Sometimes I thought things could have been explained a little more clearly, but maybe that's just me.
I think that people who have some stock experience already would get more out of this one than complete beginners would; you don't have to be an expert, but if you need concise definitions and have never bought a stock, this may not be quite right. On the other hand, just reading these kinds of books, even if they're over my head, help me learn by im...more
Leonard
Aug 27, 2008 Leonard rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: People interested in investing
For a long time I was a staunch critic of Cramer as I perceived many of his ideas to be reckless and dangerous. Having read his book I've done a complete 180. Not only did I enjoy the book, I watch his show on CNBC almost every day now. His insights are not earth shattering. Rather I would describe them as Advanced Common Sense. His book and show have helped me to identify why some of the stocks that I've invested in the past did not perform as I expected them to. Although he shamelessly plugs h...more
Rahim
Really disappointed in this book. The book is very dated and he is just bragging about himself most of the time. Far too much jargon and not enough real content. Sad because I find that beneath his entertainment act in TV, he does have solid advice. This book didnt convey that. Newbie investors will like it - he makes it seem too easy and trivializes it as a game. Although he does caution often about the risks, it gets lost in rest of the content. Watch his show rather than waste time reading th...more
SteveR
Mar 30, 2008 SteveR rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: investors
Recommended to SteveR by: Jim Cramer
Bueha! Jim Cramer is loud and a madman on his TV program. You might not like his style, but this book is a good guide for investors or those interested in learning about buying stock. According to Cramer it's "not buy and hold" when it comes to stock. It's "buy and homework." This is good advise - i.e. if you're not willing to spend time (1 hour per week) on each stock you own, don't invest in equities.
Taylor George
Fav. Quote, "Nobody cares about your money like you do."
Matthew Kowalski
This book is about the rules that governs cramers trading.
about his rules that have helped him win in good and bad markets.
he wants you to win and he wants you to know the games that others are playing with you.
so further lets get to the body of the work that cramer has laid out for individuals with investment on the mind.
His chapter listing is as such
Staying in the game
Getting started the right way
How stocks are meant to be traded
Some investing basics
Spotting moves before they happen
Stock picki...more
Rajual T.
I am not the biggest fan of Jim Cramer, I find that more often than not his "picks" are incorrect, but every once-in-a-while, even a blind squirrel finds a nut. I think at this point Cramer has published one too many books that are beginning to repeat others. However, I do find his books to be more useful than his television show, and I think he does a good job at explaining in detail fundamental investing information very effectively. My problem with the book is that I feel it leaves the reader...more
Hundeschlitten
When I first caught this guy on CNBC (while at work), I couldn't believe that a major network was giving this blow-hard that much air time. Eventually, I started to warm to his sheer obstreperousness, and when he was the only guy in the media last autumn to call it like it was and note that the Fed was about to dilly-dally its way into allowing a wholesale collapse of the global financial markets, I began to sit up and take notice.

I've since come to the conclusion that Cramer is one of the smart...more
Rachel
I feel like although he gave excellent advice at times and is a very direct, bold writer, I feel like the book was a little hard to follow. He gives advice, but nothing too exact sometimes. In the second half of the book he refers back to step-by-step advice given within the first couple of chapters, but except for his explanation of the P/E ratio, I didn't feel like he had given such step-by-step advice. I feel like this book is better suited for someone who isn't as fresh to the stock market....more
Fred
Apr 08, 2010 Fred rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone wanting to invest or trade
Goal setting, analysis, homework, how to trade, when to trade, what to look for and a lot of specific ideas about
stocks, sectors, trends and market timing. Much different than the traditional conventional wisdom. No shortcuts,
study and do your homework. Discipline is your best friend. Throw in a lot of enthusiasm and a little humor for spice.

This guy is amazing - he knows it and he is able to convey it. I believe anyone could follow his advice and make money.
I didn't find anything to disagree wi...more
Lussita
Overall I liked this book. There are plenty of tips and valuable information to pick up stocks for your portfolio and understand how to spot tops and bottoms. I liked Jim's "buy and homework", it's not bad to trade if you want to trade, you don't need to keep the stock forever.
What I disliked about this book: On each chapter Jim talks about Wall Street gibberish, but I believe there's nothing wrong to use technical analysis or chart analysis to get additional information. I do my homework, but...more
Robert R Woolridge
Solid book on finance. Jim Cramer is a enthusiastic fella whose sincerity is often marred on television for the sake of entertainment. His book Real Money fixes that, highlighting Jim's personal recollection of trades, triumphs and tragedies. And some American history too.
All layed out in the land of the market.

As a newbie to stocks/securities, I found Jim's advice very helpful. Like a good high school teacher giving you constructive criticism in economics class.

For fun -- if you enjoy Jim's o...more
Leonard Woods
Excellent book with a lot of valuable advice and delivered with Cramer's classic wit. I think his best comments were in regards to spotting tops and bottoms. I didn't find his valuation advice to be quite as helpful (though certainly a good primer for beginners). I do wish he went a little more in depth with some of the valuation techniques, but this probably wasn't the place for that sort of stuff. It was a truly entertaining read (his real life stories are great illustrations of his points and...more
Bethany
This is not a book that I could read "cover to cover" - I stopped somewhere in the middle and plan to pick it up again later. There are chapters, but the whole book seemed to be one continuous stream of thought, so even though I didn't get to the end I feel like I have "read" the book. I thought it had great advice that I could actually understand, and Cramer was witty enough to keep my attention. This is the first book on investing that I was able to actually read, comprehend, and not fall asle...more
Laura (Kyahgirl)
I can't stand authors that 'yell' at you but James Cramer has so many good points to make that I'm managing to persevere anyway. I have too many personal finance books on the go so it will take a bit longer to finish.

Update: I skimmed the rest of the book and put it away. The last half of the book is mostly about buying and selling stocks and 'beating' the market. I am years away from trying anything like that. I actually don't think this is a strategy I'll ever try so it seemed a waste to spen...more
JP
This had more depth than I expected from what I've seen on TV. Jim Cramer delivers thoughtful ideas about trading in an entertaining format. If at times sensational, it's all derived from an authentic energy. Cramer challenges some fundamental concepts, such as the dichotomy between investing and trading, while soundly backing others, such as the importance of diversification and risk management. I've read enough in this genre to start rating books by whether they offer something new. This one c...more
Jason
Mar 01, 2009 Jason rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: To those interested in investing
This is a great book. It isn't a beginners book like Rule #1 by Phil Town, it is more of an intermediate beginners book on investing. I would recommend it to all those interested in investing in the stock market. Although Cramer seems like a crazy nut when you first see or hear him, he is really a very smart guy. I found this book very interesting and will probably end up reading it a second time to make sure I caught everything. First though I plan to read his book Mad Money.
Douglas
Oct 01, 2006 Douglas rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Everybody
So far the best book on stock selection I have ever read - EVER. Unlike other stock investment books that suggest looking for value and buying and holding over the long term, this book shows you how to evaluate stocks, how to look for signals in the marketplace for market turns, and then gives great trading strategies about what to buy and sell at different points in the market. A SOLID read. I have become a great Cramer fan after reading this book. Excellent-Excellent Book.
Jay
Read this book first. Jim Cramer is my hero. In today's information age, Jim is the voice of reason and experience. He provides the average person the means to succeed on Wall Street. If you are thinking about investing, then read this book and then read it again. This book discusses general investing.
Jonathan Katz
Jun 27, 2007 Jonathan Katz is currently reading it
started reading it to get some investment advice put into simple terms. jim does a good job explaining the stock market and investing to people who have no idea, but it can be a bit pendantic to those who have a little more experience. i still like jim and find him very entertaining, and he does have a lot of cool things to say. some of the best stuff he has said comes away from his shows, books, etc., but from articles and interviews about him.
Thomas Janeway
Jim grows on you like moss on the dark side of bark. At first blush, he's loud, morning zoo zany and LOUD. Beyond the noise, reading his books are totally sane. The knowledge is possess is vast and brilliant. Don't underestimate his nuggets. Every investor's portfolio ought to include this book. Skip universities. This book delves into the hard knocks of street smarts. Become a disciple of this guru and you will become richer for it.
Mike Suter
This man has an ego as large as his bank account, which is presumably enormous. His writing is a bit rambling, but his insights into buying stocks are excellent. He advises "homework" without always describing where to find all the data, however his overall view of strategies are excellent, and he does tackle both market cycles for more speculative investing, and longer-term investing for retirement. Recommended.
Kathy
Aug 05, 2007 Kathy rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: young, passionate investors
Shelves: haveread
I enjoyed reading about smart investing. However, I would only recommend this to a young, wealthy person with tons of time on their hands who would like to spend 30 hours a week to research companies so that they can GAMBLE in the stock market. I doubt this book would do much for anyone without 20 years of experience behind them in active investing. But I got smarter about stuff by reading it. It has some secrets in it!
Mike
Jan 25, 2008 Mike rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Anyone interested in finance
Shelves: business
I have invested and lost plenty before I found this book. Since then, I've made and lost more but at least I now understand what the heck is going on and how to come up with a strategy to at least not lose a lot. He always says that discipline wins out. Don't be a pig and cut your losses early. Even if you don't want to risk your money on stocks, read this and have a clearer picture of the daily business news.
Jackie
So... I can definately say I learned alot from this book... unfortunately I don't actually know enough about investing in the stock market to comment on whether I learned more or less than i would have from another book... my hope is to read a few more books on investing and then revisit this review :)

A side note, if you listen to this as a book on tape, the author's voice may really, really annoy you.
Paul Tennant
its a must read really. despite his antics on the cnbc show mad money, the book is absolutely great. i read it in collage and it sprung about an appetite for knowledge like a son of a gun. it goes in to the market cycles, talks about the actual costs of a stock with pe and peg ratios. He writes in a most engaging way talking about the bulls and the bears. Youll learn a lot while being entertained.
Amy
Aug 23, 2009 Amy added it
Shelves: business-career
Yes, the man's insane but also bright and compassionate w a photographic memory. Cramer had some great suggestions that turn investing on its head compared to 20 years ago. For instance, the question to ask is "what will the stock do tomorrow?" and not what I paid for it (the past). That simple question helps to remove emotion from the transaction and suggests facts rather than emotion.
Gary
great introduction to investing, but read a lot more before jumping right in because not everything is as wonderful as he makes it sound. For example, he talks about the stock market being up over the past 30 years, and therefore it will be up over the next 30 years, but the stock market has been down the past 11 years so... learn some terms, get excited, try it out, but this is a crash course.
Jillian
Mar 24, 2008 Jillian rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Jim Cramer fans-people with the time, interest and energy to devote to managing their own stocks.
Shelves: business
About halfway through this book 90% of people will probably realize they are too busy to devote 5 hours a week to a truly diversified stock portolio and should get a broker or a mutual fund, lol...but it's still good to know the rules of the game. I'm almost finished with Stay Mad for Life and I think it's much more general and relevant for most people.
  • Rule #1: The Simple Strategy for Successful Investing in Only 15 Minutes a Week!
  • Beating the Street
  • How to Make Money in Stocks: A Winning System in Good Times or Bad
  • Buffettology: The Previously Unexplained Techniques That Have Made Warren Buffett the World's Most Famous Investor
  • The Little Book of Value Investing
  • The Automatic Millionaire Homeowner: A Powerful Plan to Finish Rich in Real Estate
  • Option Volatility & Pricing: Advanced Trading Strategies and Techniques
  • When Markets Collide: Investment Strategies for the Age of Global Economic Change
  • The Warren Buffett Way: Investment Strategies of the World's Greatest Investor
  • The New Market Wizards: Conversations with America's Top Traders
  • Trading for a Living: Psychology, Trading Tactics, Money Management
  • How I Made $2,000,000 In The Stock Market
  • Rich Dad's Prophecy: Why the Biggest Stock Market Crash in History Is Still Coming...and How You Can Prepare Yourself and Profit from It!
  • The Interpretation of Financial Statements: The Classic 1937 Edition
  • Trump: Think Like a Billionaire: Everything You Need to Know about Success, Real Estate, and Life
  • Value Investing: From Graham to Buffett and Beyond
  • Rich Dad's Advisors: Guide to Investing In Gold and Silver: Everything You Need to Know to Profit from Precious Metals Now
  • Common Sense on Mutual Funds: New Imperatives for the Intelligent Investor
James J. "Jim" Cramer is an American television personality, a former hedge fund manager, and a best-selling author. Cramer is the host of CNBC's Mad Money and a co-founder and chairman of TheStreet.com, Inc.
More about James J. Cramer...
Confessions of a Street Addict Jim Cramer's Mad Money: Watch TV, Get Rich Jim Cramer's Stay Mad for Life: Get Rich, Stay Rich (Make Your Kids Even Richer) Jim Cramer's Getting Back to Even Jim Cramer's Get Rich Carefully