Start by marking “Parque Jurásico (Parque Jurásico, #1)” as Want to Read:
Parque Jurásico (Parque Jurásico, #1)

Parque Jurásico (Jurassic Park #1)

3.92  ·  Rating Details  ·  563,357 Ratings  ·  6,562 Reviews
En esta espectacular novela los dinosaurios vuelven a conquistar la Tierra. En una isla remota un grupo de hombres y mujeres emprende una carrera contra el tiempo para evitar un desastre mundial provocado por la desmedida ambición de comercializar la ingeniería genética. Pero todos los esfuerzos resultarán vanos cuando el inescrupuloso proyecto quede fuera de control y el ...more
Published 1992 by Círculo de Lectores (first published June 10th 1991)

To ask other readers questions about Parque Jurásico, please sign up.

Beverly Cooper This book blows the movie "out dah window!" It is definitely written for a more intelligent audience, especially Crichton's explanation of the "Chaos…moreThis book blows the movie "out dah window!" It is definitely written for a more intelligent audience, especially Crichton's explanation of the "Chaos Theory" and it's use in creating the, er, "dinosaurs..."
The book depicts the characters completely different than the movie does, in terms of their importance, personalities, relationships to the overall story and each other,etc. Actually, once you begin reading it, you may not be able to put it down literally - I know I couldn't... (less)
Bob Buchko Possibly. It has some swearing and definitely some gore and violence. Nothing sexual in it, though. It might be a little bit mature for a ten year…morePossibly. It has some swearing and definitely some gore and violence. Nothing sexual in it, though. It might be a little bit mature for a ten year old, but it's a close call. (less)

Wendy Darling
Rereading for obvious reasons. :D :D :D :D
Alejandro
This is one of my favorite books of all time!!!

I was way excited back then, 20 years ago, about the movie (minus the controversial scene portraiting San José, Costa Rica with a beach in the middle of it). Trust me. I am from Costa Rica and I live precisely in San José and we don't have a dang beach around.

I am sure that Spielberg wouldn't do that kind of mistake if he'd need to portrait Paris, France, but a dang capital city in a third world country? Who cares?

Well, I care, I am from that prec
Brad
Feb 04, 2011 Brad rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Brad by: James Davie
I always seem to forget how good Jurassic Park is. I blast through it once every few years, throw it on my shelf and the distance slowly makes me derisive, and then something forces me to pick it up again when my brain needs a little peanut butter and jelly dipped in hot chocolate, and I am forced to admit that Jurassic Park is a damn fine novel.

Sure it's packed with Michael Crichton's usual band of screenplay-adaptation-friendly archetypes, sure it derives much of its plot and thought from Art
Kelly (and the Book Boar)
Find all of my reviews at: http://52bookminimum.blogspot.com/

Commercial Photography

PLEASE NOTE THIS REVIEW IS ABOUT A BOOK THAT BECAME ONE OF THE MOST POPULAR MOVIES OF ALL TIME MORE THAN 20 YEARS AGO, GROSSED OVER A BILLION DOLLARS AND CHANGED THE WAY WE LOOKED AT SPECIAL EFFECTS FOREVER. IF YOU CONSIDER ANYTHING IN MY REVIEW A “SPOILER,” THERE’S A GOOD CHANCE YOU WERE CREATED IN A LAB FROM SOME FOSSILIZED AMBER.

It all begins with a billionaire who has a big imagination and a lot of spare money lying around. By dro
Lola
Dec 23, 2015 Lola rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: did-not-finish

DNF. The movie is better.
Simeon
Jan 14, 2015 Simeon rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Science-at-the-brink-of-chaos fiction. Nonlinear dynamics had barely been invented, and yet here it was, gracing each chapter with a foreboding message of disintegration.

Not literature, not amazing prose, but a true edge-of-your-seat thriller.

seak
Sep 16, 2015 seak rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc-review, audio, 2015
I can't believe how much I enjoyed this book. I guess I've always had my reservations because of what an impact the movie had on me as a kid. I was about 9 or 10 when the movie first came out and it blew my mind. As the book likes to point out, boys love dinosaurs and that was true.

As a side note, I'm loving how much my son (5 y.o.) loves dinosaurs. He knows so much more about them than I do, in fact his favorite is the Giganotosaurus, a dinosaur I learned existed from him.

(the hipster's T-Rex)

N
Zora
Apr 04, 2013 Zora rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
At the risk of offending what looks to be all my male goodreads friends who loved this (none of my female friends have read it, which is remarkable but probably not random), I couldn't finish it. It wasn't the multiple viewpoints or so-so prose, it was the science. I worked for awhile as an assistant paleontologist--field, prep, and curating--and I promise you, pretty much everything in the first 50 pages on this topic is wrong. I wasn't loving the book anyway, and kept finding random factual er ...more
Vane J.
Aug 31, 2015 Vane J. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Originally posted on Books With Chemistry

Well, everyone knows what this is about, but for this review to make sense, I’m going to suppose you all live in caves and have never heard about the existence of Jurassic Park.

Everything starts with a billionaire that wants more money. It has been discovered that extincted animals can be cloned and, in a way, brought back to life. He uses this to buy a remote island in Costa Rica and build a theme park that features the famous dinosaurs. Things, however,
Brandon
Jun 09, 2015 Brandon rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of the movie
Recommended to Brandon by: Alaina
Shelves: fiction, sci-fi, 2015
"Scientists are actually preoccupied with accomplishment. So they are focused on whether they can do something. They never stop to ask if they should do something."

In 1993, Steven Spielberg brought dinosaurs to life on the big screen. At the time, Jurassic Park was so immensely popular that I would be shocked to find someone today who hasn't seen it. Now, with the forthcoming release of Jurassic World, dinosaurs are all the rage again. During a routine trip to the book store, I picked up both Ju
Will M.
Nov 16, 2014 Will M. rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another masterpiece by Crichton. Can't believe it took me years to finally pick this one up and read it.

I watched the movie adaptation when I was a kid, so I can't really remember much of the plot other than dinosaurs gone wild, and I'm sure I remember an elevator scene. Aside from those, I had no idea what was in store for me before I read this. I wasn't hesitant on reading this, but my really long TBR list was the reason why I didn't read this sooner than I should have. All I can say is that
Jr Bacdayan
RAWWWWWWWWWWWWRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!

Imagine yourself a prey, being hunted by the one of the most deadliest predators that ever roamed the earth. The Tyrannosaurus Rex. About 30 feet of pure muscle with a massive head that contains the biggest set of teeth that could turn your flesh and bones into mush in one bite.

You are trapped. You have nowhere to go. Your entire body is shaking.

RAWWWWWWWWWWWWRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!

You might or might not have peed in y
Luffy
Jul 02, 2015 Luffy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

So, straight to it. Jurassic Park, the book, is inimitable, apart from a few clumsy attempts. One thing that differentiated it from its wannabes is that, unlike books about sharks, snakes or let's say, zombies, dinosaurs come in very varied shapes. This means that the way the casualties meet their end is just as variable.

Michael Crichton props up his last act with inspired flair and experienced cunning. He knows that the action in this book will go only so far, just like last acts in an all out
Nandakishore Varma
What do you say about a concept that has become iconic? Jurassic Park has grown beyond Crichton's novel, into a movie, into a theme park attraction, into a thousand types of paraphernalia... In fact, it has become so popular that we forget the original work this concept came from.

I saw the movie first. It is a marvel of special effects and unbearably suspenseful. The book is nothing like that.

This novel is a serious work of science fiction. As with Crichton's other novels, the research is so det
Mia (Parentheses Enthusiast)
First ABORT MISSION of 2016.

I'm being a lot less strict about my ABORT MISSION shelf this year than I have been I the past- and that's just what I call my DNF shelf, by the by. I'm just starting to realise how many wonderful books there are out there, and how enormous my TBR is, and all of that just makes me feel better about ditching books that I know are just going to get 2 stars from me if I finish them.

However, I still force myself to get to at least page 100, and to stick it out and give th
Mike
description

Ah, Jurassic Park, a keystone moment in movie history where dinosaurs were brought to the silver screen in such an indelible way. I don't think it would be inaccurate to say the movie franchise (especially with the most recent entry of Jurassic World) has significantly overshadowed the book. Heck, I only just got to reading it now, 23 years after the movie was released. Having recently seen the movie, I was struck by the differences between the novel and the movie. Some changes were welcomed, ot
Wanda
I figured that it was time to read the original Jurassic Park, as I recently went to see the fourth movie, Jurassic World. Basically, JW follows the same pattern as previous movies—people create dinosaurs, dinosaurs get loose, much running & screaming ensues. Still it was worth every penny just for the scene in which the Mosasaur leaps out of a pool in a SeaWorld like setting.

In many ways, this novel, which started the whole franchise, is better than the corresponding Jurassic Park movie—the
Ashley *Hufflepuff Kitten*
I originally noticed this audiobook as a Youtube upload off to the side as I was listening to Prisoner of Azkaban for the umpteenth time. I've got The Lost World at home and I've never seen the films (not completely, anyway), so I figured Why the hell not? I haven't been a ginormous fan of dinosaurs since I was about ten, but this book cured that so quick. I was instantly back in my kid-mindset when they were first discussing the park. Just the thought of SEEING these enormous beasts had me droo ...more
Tom M
May 20, 2007 Tom M rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I have never been terribly impressed with Crichton's work, but I have always been told that I must read Jurassic Park to really appreciate him.

I was not expecting much from this book, but I was disappointed nonetheless. The whole story seemed fragmented and disorganized. This was supposed to be about a sort of fantasy world created by an eccentric, wealthy man, but throughout the book I felt like It was more Michael Crichton's fantasy than anybody else's. It was as if he had several goals for t
 Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja)
I just realized that I hadn't rated or reviewed this book. I read it several years ago.

To be honest, I couldn't finish this book. The writing had an inescapable pattern to it: Introduce character, character gets killed or in some horrible way or eaten by a dinosaur. I hate collateral damage in books, movies, or tv. Big turn-off. Plus, I don't like the creation of sacrificial lambs to be killed, paper-thin to the point of having no personality practically.

The science part was a little too detail
Ryan
Nov 22, 2011 Ryan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Jurassic Park is Michael Crichton's masterwork. The academics are cooler, the science is hipper, and the monsters are badder. So why haven't you read this novel?

Let's look at the premise: We can use cloning technology to bring dinosaurs back, and now the fabulously wealthy Mr. John Hammond is going to sell glimpses of those dinosaurs in order to make money, "a lot of money," as Mr. Hammond would remind us. Alan Grant, Ellie Sattler, and Ian Malcolm are brought to a Caribbean island to vet Jurass
J.G. Keely
With Crichton, it is always a gamble whether whatever strange and new idea has latched onto will overcome his overbearing personality. His assurance that science will always go wrong makes for easy potboiler plots, but you do get the feeling that if he were a caveman, he would mistrust a sharpened stick.

Crichton's sensationalism and misuse of scientific concepts has made him untrustworthy as a guide on any serious issue, but in the case of runaway dinosaurs, we do not need to heed his warnings a
Emily
Jul 12, 2015 Emily rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015
This novel is so brilliant, I don't understand how anyone could possibly give it less than 5 stars.

It was so much fun to read this after loving the movie for so many years. There were a lot of similarities to the movie, true, but it was so awesome to read this and see how much the movie couldn't/didn't include. The sheer amount of detail that Crichton put into the making of the dinosaurs and the securty systems of the park and just how the part was supposed to run is incredible. And the way tha
Dyuti
Jun 15, 2012 Dyuti rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebook, sci-fi
Once upon a time, we would find books like Jurassic Park in a typical high-schooler's bag -- a book with liberal doses of scientific information, imagination, suspense and thrill.

Today however, all that floods the Young adult book market are wimpy love triangles between werewolves, vampires and humans!

What a degradation! What a shame!

This is just my second book by Micheal Crichton, after The great Train Robbery, and I've already turned into a fan! This guy is a real entertainer! His works are n
Maddison
'God creates dinosaurs, God kills dinosaurs, God creates man, man kills God, man brings back dinosaurs...woman inherits the earth'

This book. This book. My God. This is for sure, one of the best books I have ever had the pleasure of reading. No joke.

I wasn't expecting much to be honest. I had never heard of Michael Crichton (Cry-ton) (I had no idea how to say so fyi) and, to be honest, I had no idea Jurassic Park was a book until I stumbled upon it in Dymocks a couple of months ago. I even thoug
Rob
Executive Summary: One of Michael Crichton's best. There's a good reason why Jurassic World made so much money last year. Our fascination with dinosaurs. Crichton does a good job capturing that here.

Audiobook: Scott Brick does a good job as always. His voice for Lex is so good as to be obnoxious and I found myself yelling at her to shut up just like her brother.

Full Review
This is one of those rare books I read after the movie. I read it sometime in high school. I don't exactly remember when. H
Becky
I really enjoyed this book. I saw the movie of course, numerous times, so I had an idea of what to expect going in, but I was still pleasantly surprised by the book. More so after not liking The Andromeda Strain, which was the first Crichton book I ever read.

I have to say, this was a classic case of BBM: Book's Better than the Movie. As I read this, I had the movie playing right along in my head. There were some substantial differences, more background information on the characters as well as a
Monk
Oct 25, 2007 Monk rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi
As a child, my parents (mostly my mother) encouraged me to read 'real books' about historical stuff (which bored the hell out of me) and to tackle topics that were relevant or based in fact (boy did that not hold). When I petitioned to read this book, mom and dad shot it down (and at that age they held the purse strings) and tried to get me to read some book about Medieval Italy (boooooring).

Two years leter, they caved and let me get this book. It was wonderful.

Crichton is hit or miss from what
Paige
I just didn't like this as much as the movie. Malcolm was a pompous windbag, Grant loved kids and wore Hawaiian shirts (????) and Hammond was a complete dick the whole time. I never felt like things were very tense. When they find out they have roughly 30 more raptors than they thought, all loose on the island? Apparently no big deal. Everyone is (relatively) safe and whole? Let's go outside to find a raptor nest. It was fine, but I didn't love it.
Raeden Zen
Jul 28, 2013 Raeden Zen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An Exciting, Realistic, Terrifying Technothriller

"Jurassic Park" is one of the most engrossing technothrillers ever written as Mr. Crichton masterfully hooks the reader with the opening description of the genetic engineering company and the victim of the velociraptor.

The scientific descriptions read true, the philosophy adds power, the kids are cute and create sympathy, and by the middle of the book you will totally believe that there is an island in Central America where an eccentric billionai
Lex 37 249 Dec 30, 2015 02:10PM
Michael Crichton ...: Jurrassic Park Discussion - December 2015 BOTM 3 9 Dec 28, 2015 02:53PM
The Book Was Better: JURASSIC PARK 3 23 Dec 16, 2015 08:43AM
Round and Flat Characters 1 24 Nov 03, 2015 11:24AM
  • Raptor Red
  • The Hunt for Red October (Jack Ryan, #3)
  • Planet of the Apes
  • Jumper (Jumper, #1)
  • The Stone Leopard
  • Pastwatch: The Redemption of Christopher Columbus
  • The Survivors of the Chancellor
  • Dark Force Rising (Star Wars: The Thrawn Trilogy, #2)
  • Tyrannosaur Canyon (Wyman Ford #1)
  • Designated Targets (Axis of Time, #2)
  • The Krytos Trap (Star Wars: X-Wing, #3)
  • Meg (MEG, #1)
  • Star Wars, Episode IV: A New Hope (Star Wars, #4)
  • Life, the Universe and Everything (Hitchhiker's Guide, #3)
  • 2010: Odyssey Two (Space Odyssey, #2)
  • The Silence of the Lambs  (Hannibal Lecter, #2)
  • Jaws
  • Star Wars, Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back (Star Wars, #5)
Michael Crichton (1942–2008) was one of the most successful novelists of his generation, admired for his meticulous scientific research and fast-paced narrative. He graduated summa cum laude and earned his MD from Harvard Medical School in 1969. His first novel, Odds On (1966), was written under the pseudonym John Lange and was followed by seven more Lange novels. He also wrote as Michael Douglas ...more
More about Michael Crichton...

Jurassic Park (2 books)
  • The Lost World (Jurassic Park, #2)

“God creates dinosaurs, God kills dinosaurs, God creates man, man kills God, man brings back dinosaurs.” 303 likes
“The planet has survived everything, in its time. It will certainly survive us.” 254 likes