Start by marking “Meneer Blijleven” as Want to Read:
Meneer Blijleven

Meneer Blijleven

3.85  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,028 Ratings  ·  100 Reviews
Meneer Blijleven is een uniek boek van J.R.R. Tolkien - een verhaal dat hij schreef voor zijn kinderen en dat door hemzelf geillustreerd werd. Deze nieuwe, gebonden uitgave bevat behalve de tekeningen van Tolkiens hand ook het verhaal in zijn eigen handschrift naast de Nederlandse vertaling.

Meneer Blijleven is een merkwaardig Engels heertje dat voortdurend met zichzelf in
Published November 2007 by Mynx (first published 1982)

To ask other readers questions about Meneer Blijleven, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Meneer Blijleven

Michael
Sep 02, 2015 Michael rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm a self-confessed Tolkien nut but this was a book I'm sure even neutrals would love.

It's a beautifully illustrated and quirky children's book, the pictures drawn by Tolkien himself. Not just a great writer but a talented artist also!

What a contrast to Middle-earth and the tales of good and evil. I'm in awe at the scope of Tolkien's imagination, always have been, and how easily he could switch between different fantasy realms and writing for different age groups. I'd love to write a children'
Andrew Hryhirchuk
Feb 25, 2013 Andrew Hryhirchuk rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A lovely little Sunday afternoon light-read.
Loved it. I am, however quite bias. I'm a big Tolkien fan, and I'll read anything that his colourful imagination can conjure.
It's a bright and animated children's book about the adventures of a tall hat wearing dandy names Mr. Bliss, and his spontaneous inspiration to buy a motorcar, and the trouble there ensues.
Aside from the playfulness of story and many delightful characters, the book is worth buying simply for its hand-crafted illustrations by the
Michael
Mr. Bliss is delightfully amusing, both the book and the title character himself. He gets himself into a series of farcical scrapes involving his new car, three thuggish teddy bears, four obese brothers, some cabbages and some bananas. Mr. Bliss is a frightful coward throughout, not at all the hero you might expect, which I think would make him a rather sympathetic character for younger children. He does stand up for himself in the end, albeit in a somewhat passive/aggressive way. Oh, and watch ...more
The Peregrine Shepherd
Is this a poignant piece of literary greatness? No. Was it written exquisitely with riveting action and dialouge? No. Not by any means. But Mr. Bliss still captured my heart, if for no other reason than it's the first book I've read in a long time that made feel like there was someone sitting on the edge of my bed telling me a story before I go to sleep. It's pure, childlike simplicity is just... charming and Tolkien's writing style can take just as much credit for this as the bizarre storyline ...more
Bookworm Sean
I shall judge this book for what it is; a simple story written for children full of humour and mishaps. I liked it now and as a child I know I would have loved it.

This short tale follows Mr Bliss as he buys a motor car, crashes into several people, gets robbed by bears, crashes a soup garden party and then as the victims and culprits turn up demanding payment. This book made me laugh and the drawings were funny.

I bought this book because it was written by Tolkien, had it not been I would have g
Jennifer (JC-S)
Apr 25, 2008 Jennifer (JC-S) rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: librarybooks
My inner child and I really enjoyed this book. Professor Tolkien wrote this book for his own children in the 1930s but it was never published in his lifetime. The edition I read (pulbished in 1983) has a facsimile of Professor Tolkien's original written text and lovely drawings side by side with the printed text.

I wish I'd discovered this book 20 years ago in time to read with my son. I'm sure he'd have enjoyed it.
Annaleely Leely
i would like a girabbit, please.
Nicole Pramik
Sep 17, 2015 Nicole Pramik rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
One thing is for sure - Mr. Bliss is quite possibly the funniest, cutest story of Tolkien's I've ever read (besides perhaps Farmer Giles of Ham). That's by no means an insult because cute and comedy can be good if they're cleverly done, which is certainly the case here.

In this posthumous work originally published in 1982, Tolkien presents to readers a hand-written, and hand-drawn, story about the clumsy Mr. Bliss and his many adventures and misadventures with an automobile, some of which involv
Edoardo Albert
Apr 25, 2014 Edoardo Albert rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What I took away from this short little book (finished in a 30-minute tube ride), apart from its charm and the almost palpable sense of also sitting on the bed as Tolkien delivered the story, probably ex tempore in its first version, to his children, was how interesting and unique his handwriting was and what a large part it seems drawing played in the Good Professor's creativity. The story is slight although engaging, but the drawings are enchanting, and I'm reminded of Tolkien's drawings and p ...more
Angelina
Dec 02, 2015 Angelina rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: unfinished, children
Not really my kind of story...
Ana Maria Rînceanu
Cartea aceasta merge perfect cu un ceai dulce, mai ales dacă faci pauză de la "Stăpânul Inelelor". Ilustraţiile create de autor merg perfect cu tenta jucăuşă a poveştii domnului Bliss, care iese dintr-o încurcătură ca să intre în alta. Mie cartea mi-a plăcut dar verişoarei mele nu prea: “Mr. Bliss e prea neserios cu banii”.
Lorelei
Jun 30, 2015 Lorelei rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens
Really good example of adventures that are hell to live though become the best stories. Lots of fun. ;-) Oh, yes, it is fiction.
»мσяgαиα« (over the hills and far away)
Poche pagine per narrare l'incredibile avventura/sventura capitata a Mr. Bliss, un elegante gentiluomo dagli altissimi cappelli e che nasconde Giraniglio per non pagare una tassa. Tutto ha inizio quando il protagonista si mette in testa di acquistare un'automobile gialla con le ruote rosse e, fatto ciò, di andare a trovare degli amici. Lungo la strada gliene capiteranno di cotte e di crude, compreso l'incontro con tre orsi davvero furbetti, e il conto finale non sarà certo da poco!

La lettura di
Ariel
Jun 06, 2016 Ariel rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I thought this book was quite cute, but oh so confusing. It's obvious in some aspects that Tolkien wrote this well before he wrote any of his other works. Its so sweet to know how much he cared about his kids! instead of just reading them a fairy tale, he wrote them one! That's parenting done right! Its a cute little book. The only real problem I could have had with it is that I kind of read it as if Edward Gorey wrote it (I like Gorey's works too for the record) And I think because of that, it ...more
jillian nessie
Mar 20, 2013 jillian nessie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: humour, childrens
Absolutely hilarious!
Kristen
Sep 01, 2015 Kristen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I received a first edition copy of this book from my uncle ages ago for my high school graduation, but I hadn't read it until now. Mr. Bliss is one of those books where you actually feel like someone's sitting on the edge of your bed reading to you before you go to sleep. It's a delightfully cute story, and it's so amusing to think Tolkien wrote this for his children. I'd recommend it for any Tolkien fan merely on the basis of it being by Tolkien himself. The variety of works that this man publi ...more
John
Mar 06, 2015 John rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
. . . . But in 2011 a new edition was published in which the illustrations have been properly placed within a nicely typeset text, and the result is startling! Mr. Bliss, now that it has been artfully formatted, is an entirely charming children’s book which should be discovered by adults while they read it aloud and by laughing children hearing it and looking at Mr. Bliss’ tall green hat, yellow motorcar and unusual pet girabbit and enjoying the gentleman’s adventures in and around an unnamed En ...more
Steve
Dec 30, 2013 Steve rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
We found this wonderful little children's book at Shakespeare and Company in Paris. It was a book that Tolkien wrote for his children and never really intended to publish (it was published posthumously in 1982). He both wrote it and illustrated it. It was alledegly based on his own personal experience with his first automobile in 1932 and his children's stuffed bears.

Not only was it a cute little story but ours was a two-sided book. On one side was the story typed out on the page with his illus
Artnoose Noose
Mar 03, 2016 Artnoose Noose rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My housemate found a first-edition hard cover copy of this in a bunch of boxes of donated books to the local library's fundraising bookstore.

This is a delightful illustrated story that Tolkien wrote for his children. The large-hatted Mr. Bliss takes an ill-fated first ride in his new car, and ends up in an adventure that saps up a few days.

Ryan
Feb 13, 2015 Ryan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens, fantasy
Another Lesser known Tolkien Children's story, this follows the misadventures of Mr. Bliss who wants to buy a motor but does not drive very well. Lots of nonsense, comes in two halves, one printed the other in a facsimile of Tolkien's original manuscript. Good for reading to kids.
Charlotte
Jan 16, 2015 Charlotte rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Tolkien originally wrote and illustrated this book for his children. Not the usual Tolkien story, but full of his typical humour that can also be found in 'The Hobbit'. The story is partly inspired by Tolkien's own experience when buying a car. A quick and funny read.
Kirsten
May 04, 2015 Kirsten rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wonderful, because one does like to imagine Tolkien telling bedtime tales to his children; drawing pictures too, to go with them, and pulling out character names like Fattie and old Gaffer Gamgee before they showed up again in Middle Earth.
Nick
Jan 20, 2013 Nick rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This delightful children's book by the creator of The Lord of the Rings is a minor gem, pleasantly illustrated by the author. Mr. Bliss decides to buy a motorcar, and mayhem results. Tolkien clearly had little love for motorcars or the modern era in general, preferring the old English countryside, horses, and Sunday strolls.

The book takes pot shots at fat people, bears, and tradesmen, and so it's a little too quirky and non-inclusive for the modern era. We like our fat people, our tradesmen and
Mark Adams
Not a children's book by today's standards. Difficult to read and the illustrations were sketchbook quality. The publisher could have created a more professional layout and the book would've been more pleasing to read.
Birgitte Bach
Sep 01, 2015 Birgitte Bach rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015
En finurlig og fornøjelig lille historie om Mr. Bliss, med de fineste små illustrationer af forfatteren selv. Historien er ikke noget særligt, men jeg tror den vil være sød og sjov som højtlæsning for børn.
Moushumi Ghosh
Quite an enjoyable read in under an hour. Read it only because I liked Roverrandom and the LOTR quartet. It's illustrated by Tolkien himself and there are many chuckles on the way.
Jayne
What an odd little tale! Not at all what I was expecting. This is a non sense tale, with no real plot. I suspect it was written for the enjoyment of Tolkien's own kids, and that they would have found it extremely entertaining - a story written by Dad! I have no doubt that most children would enjoy this silly story, but since it has no meaning or message that I can decipher, I would not choose to read it to my children, when there are so many other spiritual fairy-tales out there. Just my persona ...more
Estrella Perotti
Jul 22, 2011 Estrella Perotti rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Uno de los libros menos conocidos de mi autor favorito, pero no por ello más apasionante, sobre todo para quienes hacemos de JRR Tolkien un culto e intentamos iniciar en el mismo a nuestros querubines. Se trata de un cuento que este maravilloso autor británico escribiera y dibujara para sus propios hijos en el cual se narran las aventuras de un elegante caballero y su primer automóvil. La historia, según los entendidos, se basa en los contratiempos sufridos por él mismo al comprar su primer auto ...more
Pernille Thorsen
Aug 01, 2015 Pernille Thorsen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A lovely story with all the amusing and likeable characteristics, we know from the hobbit stories. I remember the reading experience as very enjoyable.
  • Interrupted Music: The Making of Tolkien's Mythology
  • The Art of The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien
  • The History of the Hobbit, Part Two: Return to Bag-End
  • The Inklings: C.S. Lewis, J.R.R. Tolkien, Charles Williams, and Their Friends
  • Tolkien: A Look Behind the Lord of the Rings
  • The Ring of Words: Tolkien and the Oxford English Dictionary
  • Love Is a Special Way of Feeling
  • J.R.R. Tolkien: Author of the Century
  • Keväällä isä sai siivet (Austraasia, #1)
  • Tolkien: Man and Myth, a Literary Life
  • Tolkien and C.S. Lewis: The Gift of a Friendship
  • Maria & José
  • The Journeys of Frodo
  • J.R.R. Tolkien: Architect of Middle Earth
John Ronald Reuel Tolkien, CBE, was an English writer, poet, WWI veteran (a First Lieutenant in the Lancashire Fusiliers, British Army), philologist, and university professor, best known as the author of the high fantasy classic works The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings .

Tolkien was Rawlinson and Bosworth Professor of Anglo-Saxon at Oxford from 1925 to 1945, and Merton Professor of English lan
More about J.R.R. Tolkien...