Start by marking “Hello My Big Big Honey” as Want to Read:
Hello My Big Big Honey

Hello My Big Big Honey

Love letters to Bangkok bar girls and their revealing interviews. Includes 16 pages of color photographs.
Published February 25th 2015 by Last Gasp (first published December 31st 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Hello My Big Big Honey, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hello My Big Big Honey

Tim Denton
I started reading this book several weeks ago but I frequently found myself unable to read more than a few of the letters at a time. The introductory materials provided a relatively clear and non-judgmental discussion of the collection of letters from foreign tourists professing love and proposing marriage to Thai prostitutes. While the introductions, the epilogue and a number of the interviews were very interesting and informative, particularly to someone with little or no familiarity with the ...more
Phil Keeling
Nov 02, 2013 Phil Keeling rated it it was ok
In a culture that sometimes (read: almost always) refuses to budge, feminism has taken on a steely, survivalist stance. And I honestly mean that in the most admirable way possible. More and more it feels like modern American feminism takes the role of the duck hunter: patiently waiting in the underbrush of social media, taking aim at the inevitable projectiles of misogyny and misinformation, and turning them into broken bits of clay. There has been a piecemeal approach to this movement as of lat ...more
Richard S. Ehrlich
Nov 09, 2013 Richard S. Ehrlich rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Most Helpful Customer Reviews
43 of 46 people found the following review helpful
5.0 out of 5 stars roving insight from marc richard and loreen neville February 1, 2003
By marc richard and loreen neville
Format:Paperback
This was a book waiting to be written, but if you're looking for a raunchy sex tale about Bangkok's red-light districts, try the Internet -- it's full of sites with much more graphic descriptions, even streaming video.
What Dave Walker and Richard S. Ehrlich have done is approach a so
Jessica King
Jan 28, 2014 Jessica King rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: put-it-down
I rated this "do not like it" NOT because it's a bad book. The authors put a ton of what had to be hard, complicated, heartbreaking work into putting this together. They deserve an award.

But I couldn't say I "liked" it. It's the limited rating wording.

Honestly, after reading half the book, it just broke me up so bad I had to put it down. Perhaps I'll finish it when I'm safely in a relationship myself. Reading this single? Don't do it.

These ladies are tour guides with happy endings. Though most o
Katie
Jun 15, 2008 Katie rated it did not like it
Terrible. I was looking for some interesting letters to read and these did not fit the bill. Perhaps I would have been more inclined to like the book if the authors had not made the claim that these letters tell the not-so-conventional love stories. In fact these letters are either from pathetic men who are unable to form emotional relationships in the real world, from ass hats who are cheating on their wives/girlfriends, or men who are simply looking for an attractive wife with few other qualit ...more
Chelsea
Jun 15, 2009 Chelsea rated it it was ok
Shelves: misc
I only gave this book a two because of the comedic factor. I'm not sure it was meant to be funny, and mostly it is sad and pathetic. Lonely men with issues going to Thai prostitutes for real love?! Can they be that ignorant? Apparently so, and this book documents it for everyone to read. Basically, the men are predators and the women are, too. The men think they can purchase love, and the women are desperate enough to pretend to love these men if it means escaping the hell they currently live in ...more
Петър Стойков
Книга за проституцията в Тайланд, където първата една трета е безсмислени предговори, а по-голямата част от останалото е писма на клиенти, които са се влюбили в момичетата и им пишат любовни писма от родните си страни. По-скучно е, отколкото изглежда като го обяснявам.

Единственото интересно нещо са двете интервюта със западняци, собственици на барове с момичета, които обясняват за бизнеса, но това е доста малка част от книгата.
Anthony Irven
A dated book about the trials and tribulations of being a poor female in Thailand in the 1990s.
Ending on an optimistic note, that there is good in all of us.
Looking at it through a Marxist perspective, it shows how we are oppressed by the rich and wealthy. Nothing new there.
A quaint sociological look at Patpong in the 90s.
Paul
Jun 20, 2009 Paul rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The letters become numbingly repetitive after a while and I found myself skipping ahead to the next interview with an active or former bar girl. Even so, it's a reasonably interesting expose of the Patpong sex industry.
Kate
Kate rated it did not like it
Sep 08, 2007
Warren Olson
Warren Olson rated it it was ok
Aug 14, 2012
Jessica Land
Jessica Land rated it did not like it
Nov 28, 2007
Daniel Burns
Daniel Burns rated it it was ok
Aug 25, 2015
Becky Lafferty
Becky Lafferty rated it it was amazing
Feb 26, 2017
Richard Barber
Richard Barber rated it it was amazing
Apr 01, 2015
Amanda Joy
Amanda Joy rated it it was ok
Jun 22, 2013
Steev Hise
Steev Hise rated it really liked it
Apr 20, 2011
Christine
Christine rated it really liked it
May 12, 2016
Todd Wende
Todd Wende rated it it was amazing
Jan 25, 2014
Barry J. Mann
Barry J. Mann rated it it was amazing
Jul 30, 2014
Jessica
Jessica rated it really liked it
Mar 25, 2013
PK
PK rated it liked it
Feb 13, 2016
Jenn
Jenn rated it it was ok
Feb 13, 2017
Monica Jenkins
Monica Jenkins rated it liked it
Feb 22, 2016
Ary
Ary rated it really liked it
Dec 31, 2013
Andy
Andy rated it liked it
Mar 05, 2016
Andre Castellanos
Andre Castellanos rated it really liked it
Aug 09, 2008
Kristin Madeleine
Kristin Madeleine rated it really liked it
May 09, 2015
Lane E Smith
Lane E Smith rated it it was amazing
May 14, 2015
Andreas Tovefalk
Andreas Tovefalk rated it it was amazing
Jun 01, 2015