My Brother's Keeper

My Brother's Keeper

4.31 of 5 stars 4.31  ·  rating details  ·  180 ratings  ·  8 reviews
In a captivating debut novel that is both humorous and heartwrenching, ReShonda Tate Billingsley -- winner of the Gold Pen Award for Best New Author -- spins an irresistible story that will touch every reader's heart.

Aja James hasn't had it easy. She has kept a close watch over her siblings ever since tragedy robbed them of their parents. Tired of carrying the weight of th...more
Published November 24th 2009 by Pocket Books (first published September 2nd 2003)

To ask other readers questions about My Brother's Keeper, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about My Brother's Keeper

Coralie
This one was okay - not my favorite. Aja is the oldest of three siblings. A tragedy, brought on by her father in a drunken rage, tore the family apart. Aja has become a successful adult, but her two siblings continue to suffer as adults. Aja tries not to let their problems affect her, but she doesn't succeed. When she enters into a relationship with a guy she thinks she wants to marry, her family problems threaten to destroy everything.

There were parts of this book that I really liked, but parts...more
Lola
Blah! I was not too impressed by this book. Aja was a likable enough character till she lost her mind and did something so reckless. i kept hoping she'd redeem herself by coming clean, but she didn't and that ruined her character. Her ramblings on about not being good enough for Charles was so frustrating that at times i agreed with her. I mean who starts a life with someone based on selective honesty?

Her obsession with getting her brother help was pointless since she never set a viable example...more
Renée Williams
Aja the oldest of the James' children feels responsible for the well being of her brother and sister and puts the welfare of others before herself after their mother is killed and father is sent to prison. It is a story of how life events can make us bitter if we don't learn to forgive and seek help. I was an okay book but it keep my interest and wanting to see how the family would fair in life.
Stashia
loved it! at first I was kind of bored at the first few chapters, but it got better.
Elaine
After the breakdown of Aja's family, she somewhat assumes the role as a parental figure to her siblings putting her own happiness on hold. She tries to encourage her brother Eric to seek help for his problems with anger while being blind to her own issues.

More started happening in the 2nd half of this contemporary fiction.
Alles Smith
Very good book about letting forgiveness enter your life so you are to live a productive life.
Joi
I enjoyed this book. It wasn't great but it was good.
Tazzyt2bossye
3.48

A good calm read...nothing excitable.
Donna
Donna marked it as to-read
Sep 17, 2014
Jade
Jade marked it as to-read
Sep 04, 2014
Celena Oliver
Celena Oliver marked it as to-read
Aug 31, 2014
Dianna
Dianna marked it as to-read
Aug 30, 2014
Adj
Adj added it
Aug 24, 2014
Lois Thompson
Lois Thompson marked it as to-read
Aug 16, 2014
Heather Chargois
Heather Chargois marked it as to-read
Aug 14, 2014
Dee
Dee marked it as to-read
Aug 07, 2014
Ebony Duncan
Ebony Duncan marked it as to-read
Jul 29, 2014
Raising Brown Girls
Raising Brown Girls marked it as to-read
Jul 24, 2014
Tiffanie
Tiffanie marked it as to-read
Jul 11, 2014
Judy A
Judy A marked it as to-read
Jul 09, 2014
Deborah Starkey
Deborah Starkey marked it as to-read
Jul 04, 2014
DEIDRE J STEELE
DEIDRE J STEELE marked it as to-read
Jun 05, 2014
ReShonda Tate Billingsley is a general assignment reporter for KRIV-TV, the Fox affiliate in Houston, Texas. She is the author of the nonfiction book Help! I've Turned Into My Mother! and three previous adult novels: My Brother's Keeper, for which she received the prestigious Gold Pen Award for Best New Author from the Black Writer's Alliance and the Nova Lee Nation Award from the Greater Dallas W...more
More about ReShonda Tate Billingsley...
I Know I've Been Changed Let the Church Say Amen Everybody Say Amen Can I Get a Witness? The Secret She Kept