Start by marking “Freitag” as Want to Read:
Freitag

Freitag

3.82  ·  Rating Details ·  22,779 Ratings  ·  538 Reviews
Freitag ist ihr Name. Sie ist ein Retortenbaby, und man hat dies und das an ihr verbessert. Sie ist normalen Menschen überlegen: im Erdulden von Schmerzen, in ihren Reflexen, in ihrer Ausdauer - und in ihrer Schönheit.
Das macht sie zu einer begehrten Sexpartnerin ebenso wie zu einer tödlichen Waffe. Den normalen Menschen ist sie unheimlich. Sie lehnen sie ab, haben Angst
Published 1983 by Heyne (first published August 3rd 1982)

To ask other readers questions about Freitag, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Freitag

Stephen
Robert Anson Heinlein…shame on you, sir. W…T…everwomanhating…F were you thinking when you wrote this drivel?

Friday is, in my irritated opinion, the most offensive and childishly ridiculous female protagonist since Russ Meyer and Roger Corman teamed up to co-direct Planet of the Nympho Bimbos Part II: Attack of the Soapy Breast Monsters.**

** Not a real film, so don’t bother searching Amazon for it.

Pardon my soap boxing, but this is a despicable pile of misogynistic shit that should have been d
Owen
May 12, 2008 Owen rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The first few pages had me thinking "Wow, when the old goat isn't preaching his agenda of communal polygamist living and actually TELLS A STORY, he makes you remember how good he is at it!" Then he promptly settles in for about 100 pages of agenda and leaves most of the potential that this character had to fizzle. Even though Friday is just another incarnation of Heinlein's typical horny-bimbo-with-a-Ph.D. dream girl (and there's nothing wrong with that), her artificial person status, ninja-like ...more
Lyn
Jul 30, 2011 Lyn rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Two months before the 1982 Ridley Scott film Blade Runner was released, Robert A. Heinlein first published Friday.

Blade Runner was the film adaption of Philip K. Dicks’ 1968 novel Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? but Heinlein may also have been influenced by PKD, in that Friday concerns the creation of “enhanced” humans.

Both works also feature and highlight a strong female lead character. Friday for Heinlein and Priss in Blade Runner have created in speculative fiction an archetypal female:
Manny
Not as good as Saturday.
_________________________________

The most memorable passage in Friday occurs on page 1. I quote it here in full:
This book is dedicated to Ann, Anne, Barbie, Betsy, Bubbles, Carolyn, Catherine, Dian, Diane, Eleanor, Elinor, Gay, Jeanne, Joan, Judy-Lynn, Karen, Kathleen, Marilyn, Nichelle, Patricia, Pepper, Polly, Roberta, Tamea, Rebel, Ursula, Verna, Vivian, Vonda, Yumiko, and always – semper toujours! – to Ginny. R.A.H.
Ever since reading the book in 1982, I have wondered
Alex
Jul 07, 2014 Alex rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014
I read this book several times as a teenager, because it had sex scenes. I may still have a thing for short-haired women in high-collared jumpsuits. (May. I don't actually know, since that doesn't exist.)

So I dug it back then, even though I realized at the time that it had both storytelling and philosophical problems. But now I'm 40, and this book is terrible.

It has zero plot, first of all. Just no plot at all. It's, like, here's a superspy and she has a bunch of sex, and that's it. Which you ca
Jake Mosely
Heinlein's age really shows in this one. The most noticeable things about Heinlein's later works are his twin obsessions with free love and breakfast. This book features several pointless sexual encounters and equally pointless detailed descriptions of breakfasts. While the sexuality can come off a bit "creepy old dude" the breakfasts are entertaining, well described slices of an old man's true joys extrapolated into his story. I really would only recommend this one for those with previous Heinl ...more
James
Jan 11, 2008 James rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of late Heinlein, Cyberpunk fans.
This book is an old friend of mine. I originally picked it up after seeing the cover art and reading the description in Michael Whelan's "Worlds of Wonder" - a book of his art. It was the first Heinlein I'd read.

When I first read this book, Friday was among the first female action heroines I'd run across. She was smart. She was sexy (er... almost to excess), she was tough, and, I thought, still feminine. Subsequent readings dimmed that a bit. Friday is a good attempt to create a believable femal
Gary Foss
For my entire adult life, and a bit back before becoming an adult, I have walked to the “Science Fiction” section of the book store and seen this book lurking there. The cover with the unzipped jumpsuit, “Ooh, silly me, is that my right breast?” has always vaguely piqued my attention, but never quite enough to inspire me to actually purchase the thing. There are, after all, Boris Vellejo covers not too far away, and those are going to draw my eye and empty my wallet faster when I’m looking for s ...more
Rachel
Feb 20, 2008 Rachel rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi
(written 5-05)

Yyyyyyeah! Loved it. Heinlein sure knows how to write a good story, even if his female characters are always bi-curious sex maniacs in favor of free love with multiple partners. For an artificial person, Friday seems pretty damn human. I liked the mystery in the plot and just how bad-ass she was.

"I did not offer to pay the Hunters. There are human people who have very little but are rich in dignity and self-respect. Their hospitality is not for sale, nor is their charity." 178

"A re
CD
I am naming this an all time favorite as it is Heinleins own response to all those misguided self-righteous 'literary critics' and college lit professors who needed a scapegoat in popular fiction for a twenty year period of time.

There are reviews here at Goodreads that obviously have been written by those readers so tainted by the 'legend' of Heinlein and his misanthropic misogyny, jingoism, and racism that they fail to recognize or can only grudgingly admit there is much more else to RH and the
R.S. Carter
A friend of mine slipped me this soft cover at my book club. He thought I would enjoy it. He was right.

While the exploits of our genetically-engineered superhuman in love, sex and war are fun to read about, Heinlein's futuristic milieu's are always the front runner. The world is broken and the worst of the extremes have begun vying for power. What side would you rather be on? The fascist socialists who kill anyone with a savings account or the theocracy hell bent on removing rights from everyone
LittleAsian Sweatshop
I admit it. I'm a Heinlein junkie. I'm not sure if there is a rehab or a self-help group out there for me, but even if there was one, I'm not sure if I would even want to go to it. It's Heinlein after all! I've read everything from his lesser-known earlier works like "Orphans in the Sky", to his Juveniles like "The Moon is a Harsh Mistress", to his Lazarus Long series, even is famous "Stranger in a Strange Land", to even his non-fiction work. And although I love them all, I must say, that Friday ...more
Mike
Oct 04, 2007 Mike rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not my favorite Heinlein book, and not his best, but certainly not the worst. After The Moon is a Harsh Mistress, much of his works started becoming a little redundant in their characterizations ('good' women are always super smart and sexy and love to fuck, 'good' men are always brave and strong, both have frontier ideals and want a free society of people just like them who all fuck each other without jealousy and live in group marriages) and a little slower in their plot machinations (they spe ...more
Kathryn Flatt
Oct 12, 2012 Kathryn Flatt rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read "Friday" many years ago, and only because I forgot to send back the monthly card for the book club I was in and this was a default selection! Yet it stays in a level of memory that is easily retrievable. The main character, Friday, is the kind of heroine that always captures me--strong, resourceful, brave--the kind of woman protagonist I strive to create in my own books.

The thing that continues to amaze me is how prophetic it is, considering it was published in 1982. The world is a diffe
Lafcadio
Aug 12, 2007 Lafcadio rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fly
Shelves: 850-905, suite, fanscifree
I have my suspicions about Heinlein's women. Friday seems the embodyment of them all.
Tom Tresansky
Jul 29, 2013 Tom Tresansky rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: re-read
Heinlein, in his later years was a major perv.

I had first read this many years ago, and remember it as an adventurous romp about a Balkanized Earth (and beyond) featuring plenty of sexytimes starring his nympho-with-a-brain super agent. I remembered Friday as being a kind of female James Bond. What I couldn't remember was any specifics of the villains' plot, etc.

After rereading, I know why that is...because THERE ISN'T ONE.

Starting with a ambush capture scene, the book seemed perfectly setup to
Mario
Phenomenal story. The ending (view spoiler) was fine.

I do not at all agree with some reviewers that would describe the book as misogynistic, or that Friday is merely a man with [boobs] (although I have not yet
Monica
Sep 13, 2013 Monica rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: whislist-end, sci-fi
Todo escritor de largo recorrido tiene una evolución y varias etapas. En Viernes nos encontramos a un Heinlein muy maduro, CON SUS TEMAS (más recurrentes, sus obsesiones) MARCA DE LA CASA LLEVADOS AL EXTREMO. Y AUNQUE NO ES LA MEJOR OBRA DE ÉSTE MAGNIFICO AUTOR, NO ES NI MUCHO MENOS MALA. ES UNA NOVELA ENTRETENIDA, POR MOMENTOS DIVERTIDA, ÁGIL, VARIOPINTA EN CUANTO A TEMÁTICA SE REFIERE (cómo en todas las obras del autor) y CON MÁS DE UNA LECTURA. Algo así cómo UNA OBRA DE AVENTURAS Y DENUNCIA P ...more
Mei
May 10, 2010 Mei rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is one of my all-time favorite Heinlein novels. Friday is a wonderful heroine - not one-dimensional, and so on.

The world that Friday lives in was echoed slightly in Neal Stephenson's Snow Crash (another all-time favorite novel of mine). In Friday, the protagonist is an artificial person ("AP") with enhanced reflexes and intelligence. She is a highly trained courier: "it WILL get through."

There is one rape scene which can set one off a bit, but I found it to be accurate to the story: in cont
Kathleen Dienne
Mar 18, 2011 Kathleen Dienne rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Asking me to pick my favorite Heinlein is like asking me to pick my favorite friend. My favorite changes depending on my feelings, my life at that moment, and probably a heap of things I don't even notice.

I loved science fiction and fantasy from an early age, but the heroes I found were almost entirely male. Females were either supporting characters or props.

Friday is tough, independent, brave, and makes things happen. She wrestles with insecurity, but it never keeps her from taking action. At
Lindsey
In short, if you like Heinlein, you're going to like this book. Politics, some action, sex, intrigue, background world-building, and the need for the true leaders of humankind to push their boundaries feature prominently in this story. Friday is the story of a young woman who is a high level courier for the mysterious Boss. As is typical in Heinlein's novels, the storyline is much more about who Friday is and why she makes the choices she makes than about what she does or the people around her.

F
Mel
Aug 27, 2008 Mel rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love love love everything that Heinlein ever touched. There was a brief moment in the story when our dear Friday meets another of her own kind (no spoilers, I hope) and he disappears, convinced that she wouldn't want him if she knew what he was...heartbreaking.
Like in Farnham's Freehold, I got the sense that, without climbing up onto a pulpit, R. A. was demonstrating the prejudice which people inflict on each other (all the while being confident of the absolute rightness of their prejudices).
I
Terence
Jun 04, 2008 Terence rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Terence by: The cover (obviously)
Shelves: sf-fantasy
I read this in high school (the cover really helps these star ratings). If I were to reread this today (which I have no desire to do), I would give it 2 stars, mostly for the ending ((view spoiler)).

Addendum (11/22/11):
Upon further reflection and in light of the comments below, I'm revising my rating to 2 stars: Get past chapter one and ignore the ending
Deodand
Sep 25, 2007 Deodand rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone, With Reservations
Oh Mr. Heinlein, you are a flaming sexist, and crazy as a shithouse rat. But I love you anyway! I can't help it.

Please read any Heinlein novel with your eyes WIDE open. His ego was huge and he liked to pretend he was every character in his books, including the females.
Thom
Feb 15, 2017 Thom rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
This episodic adventure story moves along at a pretty good clip, and was a fast read. In it, Robert A Heinlein liberally visits his favorite themes of description of government, free love, and breakfast. Friday is a strong character, female of gender and with darker skin than pictured on the cover. She also seems very much what RAH thinks the ideal female would be.

I first read this as a "new" Heinlein novel, after having read Starship Troopers, The Moon is a Harsh Mistress and several of the "ju
Debbie Zapata
Sep 05, 2014 Debbie Zapata rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: saturday
Friday is an Artificial Person struggling with the demands of her job as courier for The Boss, her own feelings of isolation due to the attitudes of most people around her towards APs, and a world gone crazy. I had not read this book for years, so it all seemed new to me and I enjoyed it very much.

I had to wait a long time for a reference to Robinson Crusoe, but it did finally show up with perfect timing when Friday was in Las Vegas. It was a bit of an AH-HA moment, since I am also reading about
Simon Mcleish
Mar 11, 2012 Simon Mcleish rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Originally published on my blog here in August 1998.

Somewhat unusually for Heinlein's later work, Friday contains no characters shared with any other novel or short story. It's heroine, a girl named Friday, is a special courier; she carries the sort of messages that require skills associated with the likes of James Bond to get them through.

The novel begins halfway through an assignment, with Friday recently landed from a flight to Nairobi and attempting to shake off following agents. She returns
Michael Burnam-Fink
I had a review, but the browser ate it. In brief, late-period Heinlein about a secret agent who has unlikely erotic adventures while navigating a libertarian dsytopia. The plot exists mostly to just string together action and sex scenes, and while the bones of the setting are interesting, it doesn't match up to fleshed out details of Heinlein's better work. Oh brain eater, why do you have to hit my favorite authors?

On the plus side, all characters are of legal age, and I don't recall any relativ
Danielle
Nov 10, 2008 Danielle rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: pans, 2008-read
Meh. Put this in the same category as the last third of Stranger in a Strange Land: the characters were delightful, the situations were interesting, but I just couldn't get my mind wrapped around a society where everyone has sex with everyone else with no consequences - no diseases, no jealousy, their lives just revolve around sex and babies. I'm too grown up for this shit.
Jonathan S. Harbour
Jun 02, 2014 Jonathan S. Harbour rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Nicole G
Recommended to Jonathan by: Nicole
Re-reading again with Nicole G !

I spent longer than usual reading "Friday" by R.A. Heinlein, pausing occasionally to run a self-diagnostic on how I feel about the issues presented in this controversial novel. So many people hate it with a vengeance that I wanted to be objective.

I had started reading it 15 years ago, and just don't recall anything after the halfway point, so for whatever reason I didn't finish it last time. Back then I was pretty heavily into Greg Bear, Asimov, Clarke, Baxter,
Long Live Heinlein: Does Friday belong in the Long series? 1 12 May 05, 2015 02:51PM
UNKNOWN TITLE 2 24 May 11, 2013 08:44PM
  • Mindkiller (Lifehouse, #1)
  • Oath of Fealty
  • Executive (Bio of a Space Tyrant, #4)
  • Earth Is Room Enough
  • Gray Lensman (Lensman, #4)
  • Mindbridge (Collector's Edition)
  • The Adventures of the Stainless Steel Rat (Stainless Steel Rat, #4-6)
  • Wizard (Gaea, #2)
Robert Anson Heinlein was an American novelist and science fiction writer. Often called "the dean of science fiction writers", he is one of the most popular, influential, and controversial authors of "hard science fiction".

He set a high standard for science and engineering plausibility and helped to raise the genre's standards of literary quality. He was the first SF writer to break into mainstre
More about Robert A. Heinlein...

“A dying culture invariably exhibits personal rudeness. Bad manners. Lack of consideration for others in minor matters. A loss of politeness, of gentle manners, is more significant than is a riot.” 405 likes
“I don't see why human people make such a heavy trip out of sex. It isn't anything complex, it is simply the best thing in life, even better than food.” 84 likes