Start by marking “Faith's Checkbook” as Want to Read:
Faith's Checkbook

Faith's Checkbook

4.46  ·  Rating Details  ·  112 Ratings  ·  19 Reviews
"A promise from God may very instructively be compared to a check payable to order," wrote the renowned British pastor Charles H. Spurgeon. "It is given to the believer with the view of bestowing upon him some good thing. It is not meant that he should read it over comfortably, and then have done with it. No, he is to treat the promise as a reality, as a man treats a check ...more
Published January 1st 2010 by MobileReference (first published 1971)

To ask other readers questions about Faith's Checkbook, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Faith's Checkbook

Louisa Black
I have spent the last year using this daily reading from Spurgeon for encouragement and guidance as I use my Bible notes in the morning.For that extra shot of Biblical injection before facing the big wide world

This is a real inspiration to read and reflect on throughout the day. I purchased this on my Kindle and it is so much more accessible than lugging around a big book, that I was able to re-read this throughout the day wherever I was.

This preacher really knew how to deliver a message with hi
Rebekah
Jul 17, 2009 Rebekah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Spurgeon is quickly becoming a favorite of mine. I am also reading a sermon of his each day and appreciate his depth and bold challenges to his congregations. Spurgeons writing from nineteenth century
England remind me that Christ's promises & the Gospel are never changing and that is so beautiful and encouraging.
'ME'
Apr 02, 2012 'ME' rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: All.
Recommended to 'ME' by: A dear sister in Christ.
Shelves: favourites
Its not just a daily devotional book, but its a book to pick up often through out the day. This is one of those books, that you will read over and over, it is a MUST have and a MUST read. Blessings 'ME'
Tanya
Dec 16, 2010 Tanya rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves:
Charles Spurgeon still shines even after all these years -- his encouragement in the faith and his knowledge of Gods love to us in Christ should be part of every believer's reading menu.
Jeri Massi
When I read this book in my 20's, I would have given it five stars. It did definitely teach me to pray and to plead the promises of God. And most of the time it was encouraging and firmly rooted in sound theological reasoning based on the Bible. On the other hand, there are promises given in Scripture that cannot be appropriated for my particular situation (or any person's particular situation). Thinking that every promise in Scripture is a blank check is the anagogical fallacy. The reader needs ...more
Pam
Aug 25, 2008 Pam rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have used this in my personal devotions and quiet time repeatedly. I cannot tell you how God has ministered to me in these short little devotionals written by Spurgeon.
Damson
I whole heartedly recommend this book to any christian looking for a daily reading book. Spurgeon's writing is kind and gentle echoing the character of his Saviour. Each reading is positive and encouraging; reaffirming the very deep love Jesus has for his people. I started reading this book just after losing my job and found in it all promises I needed to stand on. Spurgeon's deep understanding of the Scripture's gives his writing depth and so provides food for the soul and revives the flagging ...more
Wayne S.
Sep 12, 2012 Wayne S. rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Charles Haddon Spurgeon (1834-1892) was born in Essex, England, and became a Baptist minister. In fact, he was probably Britain’s best-known preacher of the nineteenth century, serving with the New Park Street Baptist Chapel in Southwark, London, which he built into the Metropolitan Tabernacle. In addition to his public speaking, Spurgeon was involved in several charitable organizations, including an orphanage in Stockwell, and had an extensive influence through his writings.
Cheque Book of the
Donna
Aug 09, 2015 Donna rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This has to be one of my favorite devotional books. I used it 3 years in a row during a dark period in my life. Each day brought me to a promise of God's and He will keep that promise in his perfect time, but I must endorse that promise and take it to the bank if Faith! A great encouragement. I have given copies of thus little book to many seeking to give them encouragement.
John Yelverton
Nov 14, 2014 John Yelverton rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Spurgeon's mastery of the Bible and his ability to cut to the heart of scripture passages comes shining through in this short, but invaluable devotional.
Dwight Walker
Jan 24, 2016 Dwight Walker rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves:
very insightful daily devotions based on a scripture but some really good thoughts and prayer ideas come out of it
Abigail Hartman
Jan 04, 2013 Abigail Hartman rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: christianity
Though nothing seems quite able to top Morning by Morning, this devotional is a good, worthwhile book for beginning the day. Spurgeon is quite solid, mixing the encouragement of the promises of God with pricks for the conscience - spurring readers on to love and good works.
Read1000books
One of the best devotionals I've ever read. Each day has a one page devotion based on a Bible promise. Outside of just a few Victorian words or references (easily defined/explained using Google, etc.), the topics are so applicable to today, you would never know it was written in the 1880's. Highly recommended.
Hannah
Dec 31, 2014 Hannah rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This might be my favorite devotional book. (The size certainly helps that--it fits in my purse like a checkbook!) Charles Spurgeon's clear, simple writings always seem to hit me where I need it.
Cat Miglionico
May 16, 2013 Cat Miglionico rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves:
This is an oldie but goodie it's short for those pressed for time yet plenty of depth to glean from Gods word and draw closer to Him, Very applicable to modern world !
faithful
Jan 17, 2011 faithful rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: spiritual-growth
2010 devotional -- the daily readings were a bit shorter than I'd like but it dovetailed nicely with Streams in the Dessert.
Rick
Aug 07, 2008 Rick rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good way to get into Spurgeon's heart. Called the 'prince of preachers' this British leader has influenced countless lives.
Michael
May 11, 2012 Michael rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Devotional book based on Biblical quotations and premises.. Very challenging and inspiring as well as a good book of guidance.
David
Nov 30, 2012 David rated it it was amazing
Shelves: devotional
One of my favorite devotionals. Spurgeon offers balanced teaching on the life of faith.
John
John rated it it was amazing
Jul 21, 2016
Jenica
Jenica rated it it was amazing
Jul 20, 2016
David Murray
David Murray marked it as to-read
Jul 09, 2016
Stephanie
Stephanie marked it as to-read
Jul 04, 2016
Toka Pearson
Toka Pearson rated it it was amazing
Jun 27, 2016
Kyle
Kyle marked it as to-read
Jun 18, 2016
Murray Border
Murray Border is currently reading it
Jun 15, 2016
Sharon
Sharon rated it it was amazing
Jun 11, 2016
Garfield Danclar
Garfield Danclar marked it as to-read
Jun 09, 2016
Keith Hill
Keith Hill marked it as to-read
Jun 05, 2016
  • Edges of His Ways
  • Prayer
  • Joy Unspeakable: Power & Renewal in the Holy Spirit
  • The Wonderful Spirit Filled Life
  • Corrie Ten Boom: Keeper of the Angels' Den (Chrisitan Heroes: Then & Now)
  • Mornings with Tozer: Daily Devotional Readings
  • Broken-Down House: Living Productively in a World Gone Bad
  • More: How You Can Have More of the Spirit When You Already Have Everything in Christ
  • God at Work: Your Christian Vocation in All of Life
  • Mark of Blood and Alchemy (Curio #0.5)
  • Principles of Conduct: Aspects of Biblical Ethics
  • Children of the Living God
  • Caught Off Guard: Encounters with the Unexpected God
  • Reformed Dogmatics Volume 3: Sin and Salvation in Christ
  • Start Your New Life Today: An Exciting New Beginning with God
  • Creation Regained: Biblical Basics for a Reformational Worldview
  • The Answer to the Atheist's Handbook
  • Love Has a Face: Mascara, a Machete and One Woman's Miraculous Journey with Jesus in Sudan
Charles Haddon Spurgeon (1834-92) was England's best-known preacher for most of the second half of the nineteenth century. In 1854, just four years after his conversion, Spurgeon, then only 20, became pastor of London's famed New Park Street Church (formerly pastored by the famous Baptist theologian John Gill). The congregation quickly outgrew their building, moved to Exeter Hall, then to Surrey M ...more
More about Charles Haddon Spurgeon...

“He who comes forth fresh from beholding the face of God will never fear the face of man.” 2 likes