Start by marking “Dragon Blood (Hurog, #2)” as Want to Read:
Dragon Blood (Hurog, #2)

Dragon Blood (Hurog #2)

4.06 of 5 stars 4.06  ·  rating details  ·  5,153 ratings  ·  185 reviews
Ward, ruler of Hurog, joins the rebels against the tyrannical High King Jakoven. But Jakoven has a secret weapon. One that requires dragon's blood. The very blood that courses through Ward's veins.
Published December 31st 2002 by Penguin Group (USA)

To ask other readers questions about Dragon Blood, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dragon Blood

Rob
Executive Summary: Not nearly as enjoyable as the first book.

Audio book: Joe Manganiello once again does a fine job without really adding or subtracting from the story.

Full Review
After finishing Dragon Bones I was left with some lingering questions and looking forward to this book. For some reason this story wasn't as much fun. It's hard to put my finger on exactly why.

My best guess is the pacing. For such a short book, it felt like the plot meandered too much on unimportant details. The begin
Kristalia
Final rating: ★★★★★/★★★★★

This was awesome and worthy sequel of Dragon Bones. I loved it, but i noticed that this one was a lot more darker than the previous book. But it was great conclusion to the series and i love both of the books. Story was as usually, good and interesting but the book was more dedicated to characters like the previous one. But it concluded well. it also happens 4 years after the end of the first book.

____________________________________________

Characters :
_____________
Martin
My view on Dragon Blood is that the narrative is more suited for epic fantasy, but appears to have been reduced (like a fine sauce) making it chock-full of history, legacy, prophecy, religion to the degree that I, as a reader, questions if it all really is necessary or if it could have been rewritten to simplify the world in which the story unfolds. As in The Hob’s Bargain there is a lot more meat in the story, than what Ms Briggs puts to use in the story.
It’s a good story, although a bit harshe
Pauline
This is the second of a two-book story and it did not disappoint! Patricia Briggs did what I feel was an excellent capability stretch with this story about mages and their relationships with dragons, whom they believe to be extinct. Briggs does powerful character studies and digs deeply into the workings of how people deal with conditions in life they have no control over and how to cope with or surmount them. I heartily recommend this pair of books, Dragon Bones and Dragon Blood if you like dra ...more
Jamie
3.5 stars, not quite as good as the first book, but still a good read. When I finished, I was sorry that there wasn't more written about these characters.

This one is a little heavy with torture and anguish, and I was not much interested in the Newly Awakened Evil Magic Thing that was introduced; I felt like we already had enough Evil Magic going on for such a short book. The final magical battle was also a bit too abstract for my taste. I was more interested in the physical fighting that accompa
Caitlin
binter
I don't do many reviews but I wanted to drop a note about these two - Dragon Bones and Dragon Blood.

I like Patricia Briggs' Mercy Thompson series and her related Alpha & Omega series. Decided to give these two books a go just because I enjoy her writing and I'm glad I did. Patricia Briggs is such a good story-teller. Depth to her characters and not just the protagonist; interesting character-driven plots; she's just got it going on. I'm not huge werewolf or vampire fan yet there I am, gobbl
Alice
In my review for Dragon Bones I mentioned how unfair it was that Briggs made that book short. Well, thankfully Dragon Blood was longer - still not long enough to my opinion, ESPECIALLY CONSIDERING ITS THE LAST ONE IN THE SERIES.

IN NO WORLD IS THIS OKAY. I DEMAND TO KNOW MORE ABOUT HUROG, WARD, OREG, WHAT ABOUT TISALA? I NEED MORE NOW .

If you thought the first book was good (and you most certainly did) then you will love this. Not only does it remain a dark and cruel world, but it becomes e
Tammie
One those rare times when the sequel is even better than the first.
Steve
A good sequel to Dragon Bones. In fact, in many ways Dragon Blood is better than the first book. Characters are much more developed, the story has a much more grounded plot. We know clearly who the enemy is and the framework for an epic battle is set-up.

Sadly, the ending felt entirely too rushed! No epic battle or struggle, which is what I was expecting. Instead, it comes across as a quick camp raid, and that, while different, felt a bit unsubstantial.

Either way, still a decent read - but a bit
Blodeuedd Finland
My thoughts:
Ok so I started this one right after having finished book 1 and it takes place 4 years after the events in book 1. The book was not as good, but then all the things that were new and shiny then, were not new and shiny here anymore. But hey it was still a good book that I read in a day.

Ward is rebuilding Hurog and is staying away from the wicked king Jakoven. But the king is the baddie in this one so he comes after Ward. Civil war is close to breaking out and things are not good...*mu
Miss Clark
Bridget
Never disappointed in Brigg's endeavors. This book is as well written and fascinating as the rest. I would say my only complaint is that her series/stories don't continue as the material available in these could go on forever. Reminds me of David Brin's and Gay Gavriel Kay's books.

Creating a world with varied cultures, contradictions, and legends, the possibilities are endless. This is the second book. Dragon Bones is the first, where Wardwick of Hurog becomes the Hurogmeten at his father's une
Gabriela
It's been a long time since a book kept me hooked from start to finish. I picked this book up on a whim in the (small) English section of a bookstore in Buenos Aires. Dragons, I said. I must have this. Unfortunately I could not find the previous one, Dragon Bones. But curiosity beat patience so I read it anyway, after seeing some reviews that said it could be read separately. I'll be getting Dragon Bones in digital format when I recieve my e-reader. But not having read the previous one did not p ...more
Eden
The second of the Hurog duology, this novel follows four years after Dragon Bones, covering the political fallout of what happened in the first novel. The King’s writ was never rescinded so Ward gets carted off to an insane asylum and civil war looms.

Again, Mrs Briggs takes a cliché of the fantasy genre and writes it well. Her characters are skilfully portrayed, each with their own personality, strengths and weaknesses.

The story’s POV is mainly focused on Ward but occasionally jumps to Tisala,
Milleniumgypsy
I loved this book! I think that I loved the first book more, and there were things that I was hoping for from this book that didn't happen. But still, I think that it was very good.

I love all the characters and wish there were more books about them. I don't know if there are any planned, I'm assuming there aren't, but I would pick them up in an instant if there were!

This book picks up a few years after the events in the first book. All of the characters have changed slightly, but it makes sense
Lynne Cantwell
Okay, this one I couldn't put down.

Ward has made the transition from dullard to competant, respected, and maybe even beloved ruler of his home province, Shavig. Slowly but surely, his lands are recovering from the despotic rule of his father. Even his family is flourishing. And his soul mate, Tisala, has escaped from King Jakoven's clutches and has sought out Hurog as a place of refuge. Things are definitely looking up.

But then Ward learns that King Jakoven plans to shut him away in the royal As
Argus
Do you like odd ramblings that are only tangentially related to a book review? Good. Come with me on this journey.

For those of you with experience playing D&D, or any other tabletop RPG, you may know how a long running campaign will usually work out. You and your party all start out ready to kick in the door to the dragon's lair and kill him for possession of that one artifact you really need for some quest-related reason. But along the way, you go through a village that needs saving. One of
Jacey
This is the follow up to Dragon Bones, set four years later. Ward is now twenty-three and rebuilding Hurog keep after the devastation caused in the final confrontation with the invading Vorsag in Dragon Bones. He’s seeking the quiet life after his brief spell as a hero and he’s comfortable in his lordship. All the family suspicions from the previous book have been ironed out and his uncle and cousins support him wholeheartedly. But Ward’s position as ‘Hurogmeten’ still has not been officially ra ...more
Sbuchler
Genre: High Fantasy

This was much more addictive then _Dragon Bones_ (the previous novel of the duology). I’m not quite sure why… it may be that relationships are much more central to the story. The relationship between Oreg and Ward is not nearly so one-sided; in _Dragon Bones_ it was entirely Ward protecting Oreg. In _Dragon Blood_ that tendency on Ward’s part sparks conflict between them, making theirs is a more believable (if more conflicted) relationship. Also, the focus on Tisala and the ro
Jennifer Provost
This book is excellent. It picks up about four years after the events in Dragon Bones, and we find Ward, now the Hurogmeten, in the midst of rebuilding his keep. His day is consumed with masonry and ironwork until Tisala, the warrior maiden with whom he had been enamored since they fought side-by-side against the Vorsag, shows up on his land. Ward is horrified to learn that she's been brutally tortured, and intrigued that she's involved in a plot to free the high king's brother from the Asylum. ...more
Grace
Would really like to give this 4.5 stars, it was good but not quite as good as the previous book. Still 100% worth reading though, especially if you enjoyed 'Dragon Bones'.
It has more of a focus on romance than the previous book, although it is not the primary focus, and it certainly wasn't intrusive. It's also quite a bit darker in many aspects, and includes torture and rape, although the latter is never explicitly detailed, only mentioned.
As always, the characters were great, and very distin
Kathy
Vasya
Well, all my hoping since the Dragon Bones went unanswered, because this novel pretty much follows the same line that goes between the paranormal and the fantasy genre.

I don't quite like it, to be exact. Briggs was very vague in this novel, the details are from fantasy and the flow and the plot from a paranormal genre, and it is not well done. Maybe the first novel was a novelty, so I liked it better, but she should have decided whether to go toward the one or the other, because the mix is not
Donna
Ward thought he was saved after his abusive and sometimes virtually murderous father died and after he managed to pull the mountains down on the invaders of Hurog. In "Dragon Blood", the King sends troops to escort Ward to the palace supposedly to verify that he isn't an idiot as his father had rumored and that he is fit to be the Hurogmeten. Actually, the King uses the week while the nobles are assembling to throw Ward into the royal Asylum for the Insane and to have his mages drug Ward and to ...more
Meggie
This is the second book in Hurog series, and still as well developed and written till the end. This time, I did miss an epilogue. The way it ended, with crushing the mad king Jakoven, was satisfying. Ward was great, humble, smart and good hearted. He even got his HEA, but still with the way it ended it felt like something was missing. Yes an epilogue!
Cortney
With this second installment of the Hurog series we follow Ward as he is caught by the snare that we thought he escaped in the 1st book. Ward is able to escape seemingly impossible situations because he is surrounded by loyal friends and mystical creatures that know of his reputation.
This book had a lot of talk/act of homosexuality(not explicit), which is not my cup of tea.(as well as pedophile acts not described but referenced) We are pulled into torture sessions and murder, deceit and love.
Isaiah Ramos
this book was amazing from the first page until the last I wanted to know what was going to happen next. I cant say much more because of spoilers but I think everyone should give this book a chance if you like fantasy, and even if you just like an interesting story this is the book for you.
ayrdaomei
Fun follow-up to the first book in this series and it left me pouring over the internets to find out if there were annnnnnny plans in the works for a third Hurog title. Answer: Apparently Briggs told fans at a meet-and-greet two years ago that she had a kernel of an idea for a third book, but had to meet her Mercedes Thompson commitments first.

Way to go, Patricia! Now you've ensured I will shun the Mercedes Thompson titles forever.

But more seriously, really enjoyed spending time with Ward, Oreg
Rhonda
I read the first in series yesterday and part of second last night. I really enjoy her stories. Its full of action,adventure, doing whats right, magic. Ward is rebuilding his home the keep after having had to destroy it in the last book. He is taken back to the high king and put away so they can break him and show he is the mindless fool but with help of magic ward is able to show that he is not dumb. He has learned that the king has a powerful weapon and needs his familys blood to power it. To ...more
  • Hidden Truth (Truth, #2)
  • Song of the Beast
  • Fortune and Fate (Twelve Houses, #5)
  • Cast in Fury (Chronicles of Elantra #4)
  • Redeeming the Lost (The Tale of Lanen Kaelar, #3)
  • Passage (The Sharing Knife, #3)
  • The Hero Strikes Back (Hero, #2)
  • Devlin's Luck (Sword of Change, #1)
  • Dragon and Phoenix (Dragonlord, #2)
  • Covenants (Borderlands, #1)

Patricia Briggs was born in Butte, Montana to a children’s librarian who passed on to her kids a love of reading and books. Patricia grew up reading fairy tales and books about horses, and later developed an interest in folklore and history. When she decided to write a book of her own, a fantasy book seemed a na
More about Patricia Briggs...
Moon Called (Mercy Thompson, #1) Iron Kissed (Mercy Thompson, #3) Blood Bound (Mercy Thompson, #2) Silver Borne (Mercy Thompson, #5) Bone Crossed (Mercy Thompson, #4)

“A man says a lot of things in summer he doesn't mean in winter.” 350 likes