Start by marking “A Short History Of Indians In Canada” as Want to Read:
A Short History Of Indians In Canada

A Short History Of Indians In Canada

4.08 of 5 stars 4.08  ·  rating details  ·  217 ratings  ·  21 reviews
Acclaimed author Thomas King is in fabulous, fantastical form in this bestselling short story collection. From the surreal migrations of the title story to the misadventures of Coyote in the modern world and the chaos of a baby's unexpected arrival by airmail, King's tales are deft, hilarious and provocative. A National Post and Quill & Quire bestseller, and an Amazon. ...more
Published August 15th 2006 by Harper Perennial (first published August 18th 2005)

To ask other readers questions about A Short History Of Indians In Canada, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Short History Of Indians In Canada

Lotuslulu
Thomas King's collection of tongue-in-cheek short stories inspired by the lives of aboriginal peoples of Canada and the US are satirical, political,uncomfortable, and hard-to-ignore. King takes on the societal whitewashing of the world in unexpected ways. From stories of white men collecting "indians" and dressing them in buckskins, to flocks of "indians" flying into the sides of buildings because they are disoriented by the bright lights of the city, King is making biting commentary on the mode ...more
Jeffrey
Another brilliant collection by Thomas King - my favourites are Coyote and the Enemy Aliens, Where the Borg Are and Another Great Moment in Canadian Indian History
Lisa
this is so good. like most tom king books it keeps kicking you in the ass long after you have stopped reading it. brillant.
Pickyreaderinblack
These short stories of Mr. King's are, so far, darkly hilarious. I keep yelping with laughter as I read. Especially "Tidings of Comfort and Joy", which illustrates Indigenous peoples as "collectibles". He takes all the stereotypical perceptions of Indigenous peoples and writes a story with them ... which is creepy and funny at the same time. Same with "A Short History of Indians In Canada", where he illustrates homeless Indigenous like pigeons - brief flutterings of natural phenomena doing bizar ...more
MLD
Couldn't get past the typos (chrevolet) and some grammatical errors. Didn't get his humour or the storyline. A short story novel on Canadian Indians, yet this could be stories about any human beings. Why Canadian? Why Indian?. Left me hanging wondering if I missed something... for each short story same thought, why am I reading this? Just couldn't endure anymore, not my style, not my kind of author.
Carlie
If you've read Thomas King's novels, you have to read his stories. His particular style lends itself so well to short fiction, and his stories cover a broad range of characters and settings from the magical to the strange to the poignant. This is an anthology I'll return to again and again.

My favourite story was Coyote and the Enemy Aliens.
Sophia
Thomas King has this wonderful way of combining sadness, sarcasm and playfulness that keeps the reader coming back for more. I enjoyed nearly all the stories in this collection, my favourite being The Baby in the Airmail Box, which was brilliant. Where the Borg Are was a close second.
Snehil
Now this is my kind of fictional story book. Each story is beautifully written and gives you something to think about. The book is funny, intelligent, gutsy and honest. I guess I will be reading more fictions esp by Thomas King.
KSE
Favourite short stories include: Baby in the Airmail Box, Little Bombs, Noah's Ark, Where the Borg Are, and Rendezvous.
Alexander Weber
These stories are great. Reminded me of Vonnegut, for its simplicity, humor, and wit. Great for anyone interested in First Nation / Canada issues :)
Liwana
This is a book of short stories, which gives one time to reflect on the dry wit with which Thomas King delivers social commentary on "Indians in Canada". Another King winner -- although sometimes hard to take the harsh reality that his humour highlights.
Rick
I haven't enjoyed a book so much in a long time. King writes my kind of humor. I recommend his work to people who like to think about things, to those readers who don't mind being touched in the heart and who delight in being a little touched in the head.
Gregbuller
This book is hard to read. Thomas King makes no appology for his view of Canada and what happened to the Native People. It is a collection of short stories that are almost all deeply disturbing and funny at the same time.
GateGypsy
Thomas King's style and humour are wonderfully entertaining. I haven't read anything by him that I didn't like, so far. His short stories in this collection are at times heartbreaking and at times side-splitting. A great read!
Ira
Kris - My Novelesque Life
4 STARS

"A collection of twenty short stories told in Thomas King's classic, wry, irreverent, and allegorical voice." (From Amazon)

A great collection of stories. I really enjoy King's satirical voice.
Tatianna Keyes
I read it over and over and over again. A great combination of humour, sarcasm and really really depressing topics. I can never get tired of reading anything Thomas King write.
Cathy
Tom King is hilarious and his satirical presentation of indigenous issues is highly entertaining while conscience pricking at the same time.
Rick
Very enjoyable collection of stories involving natives dealing with the world. Recommended.
Nicole
Some of the stories were hilarious, but others were a bit too bizarre.
Cody Vaters
Cody Vaters marked it as to-read
Aug 21, 2015
Sonhita
Sonhita marked it as to-read
Aug 17, 2015
Alyssa
Alyssa marked it as to-read
Aug 14, 2015
Sharon
Sharon marked it as to-read
Aug 07, 2015
Amélie Côté
Amélie Côté marked it as to-read
Aug 06, 2015
Loisa
Loisa marked it as to-read
Jul 29, 2015
Joshua Rodine
Joshua Rodine marked it as to-read
Jul 27, 2015
  • Born with a Tooth
  • Keeper'n Me
  • Up Ghost River: A Chief's Journey Through the Turbulent Waters of Native History
  • A Fair Country: Telling Truths About Canada
  • Peace, Power, Righteousness: An Indigenous Manifesto
  • Red Skin, White Masks: Rejecting the Colonial Politics of Recognition
  • Monkey Beach
  • Home Truths
  • Kiss of the Fur Queen
  • The Girl Who Sang to the Buffalo: A Child, an Elder, and the Light from an Ancient Sky
  • Elle
  • Motorcycles & Sweetgrass
  • April Raintree
  • Clearing the Plains: Disease, Politics of Starvation, and the Loss of Aboriginal Life
  • Can You Hear the Nightbird Call?
  • Islands of Decolonial Love
  • Beauty Tips from Moose Jaw: Travels in Search of Canada
  • Whispers from the Cotton Tree Root: Caribbean Fabulist Fiction
Thomas King was born in 1943 in Sacramento, California and is of Cherokee, Greek and German descent. He obtained his Ph.D from the University of Utah in 1986. He is known for works in which he addresses the marginalization of American Indians, delineates "pan-Indian" concerns and histories, and attempts to abolish common stereotypes about Native Americans. He taught Native American Studies at the ...more
More about Thomas King...
Green Grass, Running Water The Inconvenient Indian: A Curious Account of Native People in North America The Truth About Stories: A Native Narrative  Medicine River The Back of the Turtle