Start by marking “A Short History Of Indians In Canada” as Want to Read:
A Short History Of Indians In Canada

A Short History Of Indians In Canada

Acclaimed author Thomas King is in fabulous, fantastical form in this bestselling short story collection. From the surreal migrations of the title story to the misadventures of Coyote in the modern world and the chaos of a baby's unexpected arrival by airmail, King's tales are deft, hilarious and provocative. A National Post and Quill & Quire bestseller, and an Amazon. ...more
Published August 15th 2006 by Harper Perennial (first published August 18th 2005)

To ask other readers questions about A Short History Of Indians In Canada, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Short History Of Indians In Canada

Lotuslulu
Jun 30, 2013 Lotuslulu rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Thomas King's collection of tongue-in-cheek short stories inspired by the lives of aboriginal peoples of Canada and the US are satirical, political,uncomfortable, and hard-to-ignore. King takes on the societal whitewashing of the world in unexpected ways. From stories of white men collecting "indians" and dressing them in buckskins, to flocks of "indians" flying into the sides of buildings because they are disoriented by the bright lights of the city, King is making biting commentary on the mode ...more
Jeffrey
Jan 22, 2013 Jeffrey rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another brilliant collection by Thomas King - my favourites are Coyote and the Enemy Aliens, Where the Borg Are and Another Great Moment in Canadian Indian History
Carlie
Nov 30, 2014 Carlie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you've read Thomas King's novels, you have to read his stories. His particular style lends itself so well to short fiction, and his stories cover a broad range of characters and settings from the magical to the strange to the poignant. This is an anthology I'll return to again and again.

My favourite story was Coyote and the Enemy Aliens.
Lisa
Jan 29, 2008 Lisa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
this is so good. like most tom king books it keeps kicking you in the ass long after you have stopped reading it. brillant.
B. Mason
Thomas King is an artful satirist and my favorite stories in this collection are the ones that cut to the quick of historical injustices like "The Baby in the Airmail Box" or "Where the Borg Are" in ways that are sharp, like really sharp, and unique. He points the finger by changing the narrative, if ever so slightly, like the adoption of racial minorities by whites, and forces you, the reader to conceptualize the absurdity of the past and our current situation. King's writing falls a bit flat w ...more
Pickyreaderinblack
These short stories of Mr. King's are, so far, darkly hilarious. I keep yelping with laughter as I read. Especially "Tidings of Comfort and Joy", which illustrates Indigenous peoples as "collectibles". He takes all the stereotypical perceptions of Indigenous peoples and writes a story with them ... which is creepy and funny at the same time. Same with "A Short History of Indians In Canada", where he illustrates homeless Indigenous like pigeons - brief flutterings of natural phenomena doing bizar ...more
MLD
Jun 15, 2015 MLD rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Couldn't get past the typos (chrevolet) and some grammatical errors. Didn't get his humour or the storyline. A short story novel on Canadian Indians, yet this could be stories about any human beings. Why Canadian? Why Indian?. Left me hanging wondering if I missed something... for each short story same thought, why am I reading this? Just couldn't endure anymore, not my style, not my kind of author.
Mai Zaitoon
Nov 27, 2015 Mai Zaitoon rated it liked it
Though I enjoy Thomas King's words. I found myself enjoying his nonfiction books more than the fiction. I understood the metaphor of his stories and it was kind of painful. But I dont know it isnt a book that I will remember later on. or maybe because I have read the inconvenient Indian before any of his books so everything is being compared to that book. Anyways King's satire way of writing about sensitive topics is always refreshing in a very odd way .
Liwana
Jan 16, 2009 Liwana rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a book of short stories, which gives one time to reflect on the dry wit with which Thomas King delivers social commentary on "Indians in Canada". Another King winner -- although sometimes hard to take the harsh reality that his humour highlights.
Kris - My Novelesque Life
4 STARS

"A collection of twenty short stories told in Thomas King's classic, wry, irreverent, and allegorical voice." (From Amazon)

A great collection of stories. I really enjoy King's satirical voice.
Rick
Dec 03, 2012 Rick rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I haven't enjoyed a book so much in a long time. King writes my kind of humor. I recommend his work to people who like to think about things, to those readers who don't mind being touched in the heart and who delight in being a little touched in the head.
GateGypsy
Feb 16, 2009 GateGypsy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Thomas King's style and humour are wonderfully entertaining. I haven't read anything by him that I didn't like, so far. His short stories in this collection are at times heartbreaking and at times side-splitting. A great read!
Ira
Gregbuller
Jul 17, 2009 Gregbuller rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is hard to read. Thomas King makes no appology for his view of Canada and what happened to the Native People. It is a collection of short stories that are almost all deeply disturbing and funny at the same time.
Snehil
Jun 13, 2014 Snehil rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Now this is my kind of fictional story book. Each story is beautifully written and gives you something to think about. The book is funny, intelligent, gutsy and honest. I guess I will be reading more fictions esp by Thomas King.
Luce Cronin
Mar 19, 2016 Luce Cronin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This collection of short stories is very typical of Thomas King; he makes you laugh, but then you realize you are laughing at some of life's very serious side. Recommended to anyone who loved "The truth about stories"
Sophia
Apr 11, 2015 Sophia rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Thomas King has this wonderful way of combining sadness, sarcasm and playfulness that keeps the reader coming back for more. I enjoyed nearly all the stories in this collection, my favourite being The Baby in the Airmail Box, which was brilliant. Where the Borg Are was a close second.
Tatianna Keyes
Mar 26, 2012 Tatianna Keyes rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read it over and over and over again. A great combination of humour, sarcasm and really really depressing topics. I can never get tired of reading anything Thomas King write.
KSE
Sep 20, 2015 KSE rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Favourite short stories include: Baby in the Airmail Box, Little Bombs, Noah's Ark, Where the Borg Are, and Rendezvous.
Alexander Weber
Aug 04, 2015 Alexander Weber rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
These stories are great. Reminded me of Vonnegut, for its simplicity, humor, and wit. Great for anyone interested in First Nation / Canada issues :)
Joshua Ebert
Mar 15, 2016 Joshua Ebert rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another book I read in the hospital. I pretty much laughed the entire time. It's that funny. My favorite chapter was the one about the dog. It was cute.
lori hoad
Mar 24, 2016 lori hoad rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
loved it. what a great collection of short stories. easy to read but still each one of them drew me in. well developed characters and lots of humour. my favourite thomas king book to date.
Cathy
Mar 07, 2011 Cathy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Tom King is hilarious and his satirical presentation of indigenous issues is highly entertaining while conscience pricking at the same time.
Benjamin Kahn
An interesting collection of short stories. Lots of humour, some pathos, and throughout, a very bizarre worldview. I enjoyed it.
Niya B
Niya B rated it really liked it
Aug 01, 2016
Sarah rated it really liked it
Mar 04, 2015
Marcelle
Marcelle rated it really liked it
Aug 26, 2008
Jessica Parr
Jessica Parr rated it really liked it
Dec 29, 2012
Paula Rumbolt
Paula Rumbolt rated it liked it
Nov 29, 2013
Kristin Rahian
Kristin Rahian rated it really liked it
Apr 04, 2012
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Born with a Tooth
  • Keeper'n Me
  • A National Crime: The Canadian Government and the Residential School System
  • Unsettling the Settler Within: Indian Residential Schools, Truth Telling, and Reconciliation in Canada
  • Up Ghost River: A Chief's Journey Through the Turbulent Waters of Native History
  • A Fair Country: Telling Truths About Canada
  • Me Funny
  • Peace, Power, Righteousness: An Indigenous Manifesto
  • Dancing on Our Turtle's Back: Stories of Nishnaabeg Re-Creation, Resurgence, and a New Emergence
  • Kiss of the Fur Queen
  • Red Skin, White Masks: Rejecting the Colonial Politics of Recognition
  • Monkey Beach
  • Elle
  • The Girl Who Sang to the Buffalo: A Child, an Elder, and the Light from an Ancient Sky
  • Clearing the Plains: Disease, Politics of Starvation, and the Loss of Aboriginal Life
  • Tilly: A Story of Hope and Resilience
  • April Raintree
  • Beauty Tips from Moose Jaw: Travels in Search of Canada
Thomas King was born in 1943 in Sacramento, California and is of Cherokee, Greek and German descent. He obtained his Ph.D from the University of Utah in 1986. He is known for works in which he addresses the marginalization of American Indians, delineates "pan-Indian" concerns and histories, and attempts to abolish common stereotypes about Native Americans. He taught Native American Studies at the ...more
More about Thomas King...